Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

Noooooooooooo!

It makes me not want to watch next year because that was the worst 10 pieces of clothing that I could ever imagine. I see no future for this man. Besides needing incredible Psychotherapy who would ever wear these on the red carpet or anywhere?  he'll get the money That's good. I think he'll go on to make costumes in Hollywood and they could say that that's a really great outcome. They showed Sebastian making a costume for a Movie and maybe that's where he's headed and he can be a successful designer from the show Because of that costume niche. First thing science fiction because it's a very very far future for any of that costume stuff. Don't know which puffer was worse although he did sort of fixed the purple one but that last male in the yellow?

Edited by Kira53
rushed spelling
  • Love 18

I am happy with a Geoffrey win.  I thought all the Zaldy inclusion was a little odd, especially if he wasn't the winner. 

Nina, on Watch What Happens, noted that Serena was pro Sergio.  Also, I got the vibe from WWH that Nina doesn't think too highly of Brandon. 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

A warning shot of what's to come in fashion: the... puffer coat? And random sleeves dangling off of you like you're a clothing octopus? 

At least it wasn't Victoria's khaki on khaki on crochet that won. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, Pixilicious said:

I felt his looks were the weakest and his final model looked like a gigantic tick! 

Can't stop laughing at this!

Oh, man. I am silently fuming that those editors effectively gave the outcome away last week showing Chelsey losing her mind over something. (Watching her sour face during the runway, it was clear she was not over being evicted over Victoria!) After the shows and the judges comments, I figured it was probably between V and G, and there is Chelsey, with her preview overreaction of joy, so it must be Geoffrey and lo....

Serena and I chose Sergio for the win - she seemed so sweet consoling him, and I hope she orders some of his looks for special events, and he ends up with a good result from going on the show. I really wish he'd just pulled back from the excessive fringing.

But, still, giant puffer coats won! I was really hoping that last guy would drop to the ground and spin in his.

Geoffrey, sweet guy, but those yellow liverish shadows under his eyes in the final confessional, the about to pop a vein bright red - man is not long for this world, if he doesn't take some care of his health and mental/emotional reactions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

A win by Geoffrey wasn’t as bad as Gretchen or Anya, but it was right down there.  

Anya was a one trick pony but at least it was a pretty look that women would buy and look good in. I don’t see people on the subway knocking each other over with their puffer coats anytime soon.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 8

I made myself watch the runway shows.  What a sad season this was.

The best received parts of Nancy's shows were the differently-abled models Nancy used who were fiercer than the clothes they were wearing.  I think Nancy using these women to make her clothes look better actually bit her in the bit.

Victoria's collection was incoherent.  There was no through line. A few of her pieces like the pink suit dress and that gorgeous White dress were great but the rest was dreadful.

Speaking of 'biting yourself in the butt', Sergio sure as shit did.  I think his collection was the best but all the bullshit he's been shoveling for the whole season (and his 'borrowing') kept him from winning.  The looks on Nina and Elaine's face made it clear that they didn't like Sergio and even if he had redefined fashion in the 21st century, there was NO FUCKING WAY they were going to let him win this thing.

I thought Geoffrey's collection was 'interesting' but I don't know how wearable it was.  That last puffiest puffer jacket made me laugh out loud.  I guess I can understand why they picked Geoffrey but I think they're throwing away their money and their mentorship.  I don't think Geoffrey has it in him to follow through.  In the end he'll come up with some excuse, cry a lot and go back to making club kids clothes in latex.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

A warning shot of what's to come in fashion: the... puffer coat? And random sleeves dangling off of you like you're a clothing octopus? 

At least it wasn't Victoria's khaki on khaki on crochet that won. 

Seriously - if this is a warning shot of fashion to come just shoot me now. I just cannot believe that this mess won. I can't think of who would want to wear these clothes. Nina ? Karly? I think not.

The fact that they chose this over Sergio is just mind boggling to me. Especially after the glowing reviews they gave him - although I kind of knew that they were just fucking with us. Love him or hate him, his collection was so beautiful - the color story, the fit the finishes. Just exquisite. What a joke this show has become.

• LOL 2
  • Love 22

I did like more individual looks from Victoria than anyone else (that stunning white sweater dress, the pink long coat, the pink dress with cutouts), but for overall winner, I really couldn’t care enough about any of them. And this is coming from a Nancy fan, but she just didn’t have any standouts. Sergio’s looks were extremely polished, but not winners, and WTF was that from Geoffrey? Overall, nobody is going to make a name for themselves in the industry, going by these collections.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I think if Victoria had really listened to the judges, and definitely scrapped that look with Kheops plastered all over it, and had a few less of those weird tan/beige looks, and put in her lovely white or cream crocheted number, and some of the other creamy ones with subtler branding stitched in we saw last week instead, she could have won.

But you never ignore the judges' criticisms on the final runway! I remember, back when I liked Mondo, the time he kept the long sleeves on the spotty dress and Meana was furious, and he lost.

Oh, well. It was kind of an ugly season, with drummed up drama, at individual contestants' possibly lasting expense. I guess the glory days are over.

• Love 4

I think Nancy made a mistake with the three pieces she showed the judges. They were some of the most busy in her collection. I wonder what advice they would have given her of she had made a more representative sample. 

My favorite piece by her was the grey/silver slinky dress in the middle. It was simple, but if had been styled slightly differently I think it would have come off as very futuristic. 

Also, I was amused that the judges favorite piece for Sergio was the one that someone else designed. The blue one he showed the judges would be at home on a red carpet, though. It is so beautiful. 

Edited by Cerulean
  • Love 6

Yay, Geoffrey! It was heartwarming to see how happy his fellow castmates were, swarming him (Marquise rubbing his head!)  at his win.

If I won the lottery, of the four I'd want him to dress me. And I'd back his business and Nancy's.

• Love 12

Well, that was a surprise, I really didn't even consider Geoffrey could win, why do the judges like the puff the marshmallow man look so much? At least it wasn't Victoria. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I have never seen anything like this before, and I find it weirdly beautiful:

746C5486-5795-4F29-BD1B-A6FCC9A1FD45.jpeg.36057189272541543014363fedc0b29e.jpeg

To me it looks like the prototype for the scene from Saving Nemo: "Puffer Fish Swallows Octopus."  If I remember rightly, it didn't make the final cut.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Maybe Karlie’s bondage-inspired dress was a tip-off to the winner? Congrats, G. You listened to the judges and managed that chain mail like a champ. Puff work shows well on the runway. For an overly emotional procrastinator, he focuses! 

Get your freaking logo out of here! No? K. Leverage that white dress, Vic—it almost balances out the uselessness of your dear mom’s hats.

Serena, come back anytime! Enjoy your new Sergio dress. Happy for Nancy. 

• Love 10

I too believe that it was the avant garde aspect of G's collection that sealed the win for him.  We know how much Neeena Gah-see-uh loooves editorial looks.  

I hope he can benefit from the CFDA mentorship, but I believe he will continue in the same vein.

• Love 7

OMG, it took until a meeting a few days before showing his collection at NYFW for Sergio to realize that maybe he needs to make his clothes look younger, fresher, and more modern? As Christian said, it only took the whole season!

I was really glad that all four of the finalists were willing to listen to the judges' feedback and make adjustments to their collections.

One thing I really liked about this runway show: in ye olden days, each finalist would watch their runway show backstage on the monitor with Tim Gunn. This time, all of the finalists were with Christian to watch all of the collections which I found very sweet.

Victoria's collection was definitely an upgrade from the same cut out strappy blazer that she made all season (I really thought she was going to do ten blazers with cut outs and a million straps), but I wasn't in love with what she made. I HATED that green dress. There was not a single redeeming quality about it. I hated the crochet base. I hated the green pleather material on the front. I hated that particular shade of green. I hated how it fit the model. I hated the straps in the back. I hated how the sleeve wasn't actually a sleeve but a piece of fabric hanging off of the model, like a t-shirt that she'd held up in front of her. It was just hideous in every way. That fuchsia dress that Karlie loved was straight out of the 1996 Victoria's Secret catalog. I also hated the fuchsia pleather dress that came right after it. I still hated the cheap looking shiny jumpsuit with the hood. I liked most of the white sweater dress that she made at the last minute (I didn't like that big lumpy part of fabric on the left side). Some of the pants were nice.

I hated the slicked back wet look hair of Nancy's first few models. To me, it always just ends up looking like dirty greasy hair. I'm glad that she changed the fabric of the wheelchair dress. That definitely made a difference. A few of her dresses were okay but in general, they looked a little too shapeless. It seemed like the shiny fabric was doing all the work.  Then again, Tim Gunn did always say that challenges were won and lost at Mood because fabric selection is of the utmost importance. She chose fabric that would look good on the runway and she knew how to work with it, so she gets credit for making some smart fabric choices.

When Sergio told the other designers that he was definitely going to propose to his partner, I was really afraid that he was going to do it on the runway. It was slightly less cringeworthy that he only did it backstage with all of the cameras. Ugh, I just loathe public proposals like that. Anyway, I still hated all the fringe on his various outfits as much as I did when I originally saw them last week. It just looked so extraneous. I really did not like the white dress or the light blue dress, both of which looked overly simplistic and not well fitted. The second to the last dress (the sheer silver with sequins over black underwear) was striking but that one really felt like it was the material doing all the work.

Haha, I loved that Geoffrey's mom's comment to Zaldy was, "He couldn't dress up" after he came on the runway in a tank top. I loved the sheer white top with the silver pants. To use PR talk, it looked chic and effortless. I'm glad the stylist told him to stick with the symmetric look of his collection and not to overaccessorize. I wish Geoffrey had used more color because there was a lot of black on the runway. I like wearing black but when you do black on the runway, it's often difficult to see all the details and when you do multiple pieces in black, they start to blend together. Although I wasn't a fan of the giant black jacket (the one that Christian tried on in the workroom), I give that model credit for really working it.

Honestly, I didn't like any of these four collections enough to say that one person's was strong enough to be the clear winner. No one blew me away. I didn't feel that anyone did a whole collection of innovative and fashion forward stuff.

On a shallow note, I hated what Karlie was wearing. To quote old school PR, I question your taste level. It was dated and unflattering.

Awww, I liked that they had all of this season's previous contestants when they announced the winner. In old seasons, it always seemed kind of sad and anticlimactic to have like five people clapping when they announced the winner.

• Love 21

Karlie’s finale look is one of Brandon’s dresses. 

I’m actually glad that Geoffrey chose to do avant-garde looks for his show. Plenty of designers show art pieces in their shows that are then made more wearable for their ready to wear lines. Nina compared Geoffrey to Rick Owens who is very successful, but you could also compare the puff coats to Rei Kawakubo with Comme des Garçon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

After reflecting on this, I realized that it makes perfect sense that the designer of the collection I thought was the worst wins the prize of mentorship.

Edited by Ashforth
to make it clear that I know Geoffrey, not the garments, will get the mentorship
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

Karlie’s finale look is one of Brandon’s dresses. 

I’m actually glad that Geoffrey chose to do avant-garde looks for his show. Plenty of designers show art pieces in their shows that are then made more wearable for their ready to wear lines. Nina compared Geoffrey to Rick Owens who is very successful, but you could also compare the puff coats to Rei Kawakubo with Comme des Garçon. 

I was pretty sure (hopeful) that Geoffrey won when the judges were whispered about how avant-garde Geoffrey's work was, but added commercial too.   Isn't that how a lot of the big shows work?  Everything pushed to the max for the show and then somewhat moderated to be wearable when they go into stores.   The other 3's clothing was more like ready-to-wear.  Even Sergio (based on his website), would just put those gowns on sale as it.  BTW, I called his collection western saloon-girl because of the fringe on most of the dresses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17