Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I hate public proposals.

Nancy's good at picking fabric, that's for sure. But the designs were kind of nothing.

Didn't like most of Geoffrey's but I don't mind him winning since I didn't like most of anything going down the runway.

He was better than Victoria and Sergio, certainly.   Nina pointed out that he was "referential"....uh yeah...but then they praise him as being the future of fashion.   I don't get that.

I really really don't get the praise for the mustard outfit.  Man, that looked like a Yeezy reject.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I think Victoria was really hampered by her color palette.  The first look with the pleated pants was really nice, the pants anyway.  They had some really interesting details.  But they got completely washed out by the blah color of the whole outfit.   I hate beige paired with another pastel too.

I honestly cant' remember anything else from her collection other than the last dress (great!) and the long pink coat, which was just a nice, long pink coat.

I guess the right person won?  I'm with the above poster who said I'm neither angry nor happy so I really don't care enough.  The tick (thanks!) coat made me laugh too, and I guess something that gets a reaction should be rewarded.

Both Sergio and Nancy made some beautiful gowns, but they did look dated to me.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved Geoffrey's mom "He just couldn't dress up." It felt like his mentor was a bit underwhelmed.

I hated that, it made me feel for him more than ever.

ETA: as the daughter of a 20-year Navy man, when you’ve got one hard-ass parent, you really need a different parent to balance that shit out.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Useful 3
  • Love 20

I completely forgot that the Finale Part 2 was on last night. Guess that indicates my level of interest in the season. Thanks to all who shared links to the collections. I will watch the show tonight.

I believe that Geoffrey can benefit from the mentorship, probably more so than Victoria or Sergio. Overall, a lackluster season. 

8 hours ago, Lemons said:

Sergio’s dresses were stunning.  When he said that his client is older they always say “but she wants to look young”.  I’m so sick of hearing that.  Not every 50 year old wants to dress like JLo. What is wrong with a sixty year old in a classic beautifully tailored dress without her boobs hanging out? The word “sexy” never enters my mind when I shop.  

Thank you for saying this. I completely agree. 

• Love 18

We watched the runway show this morning.  I asked Mr. AZC which designer he though won.

Sergio?

No.

Victoria?

No.

Must have been Nancy, then.

No.

The crying guy?

Yep.

What were they designing for, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

I think the right person won.  Sergio and Victoria often displayed a level of haughtiness regarding their PW mentors/judges that the mentorship writ large with the win would have been a complete waste of time.  Between Geoffrey and Nancy, Geoffrey's collection was just more interesting.  Regardless, I think they will all have a place in the industry.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Geoffrey's mom was hilarious ("Why didn't he dress up?").

I had a feeling he would win because he was struggling toward a distinctive collection.

I felt a couple of undercurrents running through the season:

-Way too many designers make stunning ball gowns in order for any of them to be notable.

- The show pulled its punches last week - we didn't see much fashion with the wow factor and it seemed as if the collections would be universally underwhelming. Yet two days later it was a different vibe on the runway.

-The fashion industry thinks of itself as progressive. Nancy stated several times that she doesn't design based on gender, and her collection featured items that anyone could wear. Yet she was called out for lack of shape in her non-gender dresses. And I didn't like the judges screaming ("Yaasss!") for the models with disabilities - it was patronizing.

- CFDA's own competition that was shown on TV (I chased it all over various networks) awarded men's fashion some years. Yet PR has always focused on women's fashion (with the exception of a few disastrous men's challenges). Geoffrey stated that he'd never designed for women. I think he was CFDA's pick all along. I think his mentorship will be in men's fashion.

That said, his brocade dress was stunning. And I appreciate his work with avant garde shapes. Compared to Victoria's Ann Taylor separates. I wore that exact fuschia coat-dress in the 80s.

Sergio's gray dresses were beautiful. But the other pieces were horrible. That off-shoulder pale blue with the fringe? Were the judges throwing him a bone because he's a good tailor?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19

Thanks to you all posting who the winner was, I can now watch the show. Was not going to waste my time if Victoria or Sergio won.

I'll grant that Victoria and Sergio are well-hated, and fashion is subjective; but Geoffrey and Nancy simply didn't make the quality of clothes that the former did.

• Love 7

I actually liked the off the shoulder pale blue dress - but he needed to lose that fringe on almost everything!

My daughter thought it was rude that the judges were applauding the disabled models but not the rest of them.  They also applauded the guy with the 8-pack when he walked down the runway and then didn't applaud the next male model.  (her comments just cracked me up)

I thought this was one of the weakest finales in PR history.  But then again I liked Karlie's dress, so what do I know?

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

But then again I liked Karlie's dress, so what do I know?

I also liked it.  (Possibly for more base reasons than should be admitted.)

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

He was better than Victoria and Sergio, certainly.   Nina pointed out that he was "referential"....uh yeah...but then they praise him as being the future of fashion.   I don't get that.

I really really don't get the praise for the mustard outfit.  Man, that looked like a Yeezy reject.

On “Watch What Happens Live” immediately after PR, Brandon said that the next big thing will be the return to classics, and I think he said neutral colors. So, OK. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Lemons said:

Anya was a one trick pony but at least it was a pretty look that women would buy and look good in. I don’t see people on the subway knocking each other over with their puffer coats anytime soon.  

6 hours ago, morakot said:

At least the coats will keep people 6 feet apart. 🙂

You beat me to it 😉

Well that finale was just a big steaming cup of "Weh?"  I was sure Nancy had won by the way the judges were practically shitting themselves, clapping and whooping it up.  The audience seemed into it, too.  There wasn't any one collection that I loved, not like Sebastian's last year.  Just a piece here and there, so I really didn't care who won.  This was sort of a whatever season for me--I had no clear favorite--but Christian continues to be delightful, and I'm a sucker for a "people making things" show (SRSLY, I watch freaking Forged in Fire, for god's sake!), so I'll be back next season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Lemons said:

Geoffrey’s show was awful.  Nothing original or innovative,yuck. 

I thought it was going to be Victoria, Sergio, Nancy, Geoffrey. 

I'm glad they didn't rank them. I like that they just announced the winner.

• Love 20

Puffy coats were on runaways in 2018 and 2019 so nothing new. One of the PR contestants made them last year as well. I thought Sergio and Victoria had the best collections and that should be the deciding factor not who deserves it for being a better person.

I think the contestants are kind of scared to do anything too crazy because the judges talk endlessly about things being wearable and not a costume. People keep talking about the fabulous Christian/Chris March dress and wonder why no one makes pieces like that now but if they did it would be called a costume.

I think Nina disliked Sergio not because of his causes but because he dared to say women who aren’t 20 deserve nice clothing. Nina is very much in denial about her own age. 

I think allowing the contestants the freedom to do more conceptual pieces would allow them to have more exciting runway shows but as it is they are stuck in a weird requirement of something being never done before, made for a 20 year old yet wearable and sellable as is. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I read Robin Givhans' (Pulitzer winner) fashion critiques in the Washington Post, and just this week she wrote several paragraphs about how "all fashion references earlier fashion." There were tuxedo looks and puffy coats in NY and Paris, for example.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

-Way too many designers make stunning ball gowns in order for any of them to be notable.

This is very true. Fashion isn't all ball gowns and dresses. One of Nancy's best looks was a pantsuit. Sergio needs to learn to learn that his ideal client isn't flitting between cocktail parties and galas. Maybe she'd just like a pair of pants every once in a while or a nice shift dress. I think he's an evening wear designer who doesn't know or understand that he's only an evening wear designer. In contrast, Michael Costello and Christopher Palu seem/seemed to be pretty comfortable only doing evening wear.

1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

-The fashion industry thinks of itself as progressive. Nancy stated several times that she doesn't design based on gender, and her collection featured items that anyone could wear. Yet she was called out for lack of shape in her non-gender dresses. And I didn't like the judges screaming ("Yaasss!") for the models with disabilities - it was patronizing.

I think there are many ways to design genderless. You can go the shapeless route like Nancy did. Or you can upend gender stereotypes by going genderfuck. This means making more form fitting and stereotypically feminine clothing for men and making women's wear that might be more masculine. As it stood, there was nothing in Nancy's collection that I could see a cis man ever wanting to wear. Men tend to go for colorful form fitting sexy clothing when they want to upend gender stereotypes. She says she wanted to design for everyone, but she's really making slightly androgynous women's wear.  I actually could see a man wanting wear one of Victoria's blazers,  especially if he had a good body, before he considered Nancy's.

There was some applause for the models with disabilities. However, there was applause when Thijin stomped her way on the runway to open Geoffrey's show. There was applause when Nancy's model in the faux fur served up a big helping of "eat it" as she swung her coat around. Nancy's opening model used very forceful rolls of her wheelchair to be her version of a strong runway walk. She was modeling from top to bottom. You kind of forgot about Nancy's nothing garment. There was probably some applause because of her disability, but I think there was more because that woman was a really good model. Nancy's models had some of the strongest runway presences of any of the models. It is so much so that DD was a little underwhelming in the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I have to say that I never minded Sergio this whole time. He's alright, but sometimes I wonder if being a former art-school kid makes me more tolerant/less fazed by certain types. Also, while his collection was not really my thing--and I am happy for Geoffrey (also not my taste in clothing)--I could totally appreciate it and actually could see the glacier connection, especially when the models were all lined up.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, bencr said:

Anxiety and shyness can be very disabling and I'm glad to see Geoffrey deal with them, albeit at times he seems to really struggle. I was not annoyed by his emotions in the least.

12 hours ago, violet and green said:

Geoffrey, sweet guy, but those yellow liverish shadows under his eyes in the final confessional, the about to pop a vein bright red - man is not long for this world, if he doesn't take some care of his health and mental/emotional reactions.

I am so worried for him when he turns blazing red. Makes me nervous like his blood pressure is through the roof and he's gonna have a stroke. The scene where he was hunched over the sewing machine...gads! You could see a vein bulging on his temple. Personally out of the bunch, I wasn't overly crazy about anybody's show, but I did find Geoffrey's the most interesting. That tick coat, thank you poster above, was a riot. Nothing I'd ever wear but it was different.

• Love 6

I’m quite relieved to see here that I am not the only one who thought Geoffrey’s collection was obviously the worst. It was definitely in the “one of these things is not like the others” category for me, and I guess that should have been a big clue. Further proof that I am the worst judge of fashion ever. I hope Geoffrey will be able to benefit from the mentorship - I just worry about his emotional well-being. 

• Love 11

I went back and took another peak at Geoffrey's collection......and I like it less now than last night. Talk about dated....those dresses were grotesque imo.   I looked at the other collections again as well. I actually like Victoria's even more now. but, prefer Sergio's, though, I didn't care for him as a contestant.   I would say that it probably wasn't a fair comparison. Sort of like comparing Old Navy to haute couture. 

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/photo-gallery/47297975/image/47305895/Project-Runway-Season-18-Finale-Geoffrey-Mac

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I wasn't able to watch this when it initially aired but I read the forums and knew who won. Thrilled for Geoffrey -- he and Nancy were the two who will/would have benefited most from the CFDA internship. Victoria and Sergio would have argued with everything CFDA tried to help them with. 

Geoffrey's collection was definitely the most intriguing and he gave the best runway optics. You weren't bored watching his collection.

The outfit that struck me the most, however, was the one Karlie wore on the runway -- it made her look huge! And if it makes someone as thin as Karlie Kloss look noticeably heavier, what "normal" person is going to be able to wear something like that??? Anyone know who/what she was wearing? 

• Love 7

I’m going through the finale collections. There were some great pieces and some real clunkers. Starting with Victoria.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-01_0.jp

Remove the jacket, hat and bag and this is a great outfit. It really suffered from over-styling.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-03_0.jp

What was she even thinking with all of these logos? This is awful.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-09_0.jp

These pants are fantastic. AND NO LOGOS. 

Upthread someone mentioned having owned Victoria’s pink dress back in the day and I think I did too. If Victoria had done more design, less styling and eliminated the logos, she would have had a better shot, even with the difficult color palette.

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

This is very true. Fashion isn't all ball gowns and dresses. One of Nancy's best looks was a pantsuit. Sergio needs to learn to learn that his ideal client isn't flitting between cocktail parties and galas. Maybe she'd just like a pair of pants every once in a while or a nice shift dress. I think he's an evening wear designer who doesn't know or understand that he's only an evening wear designer. In contrast, Michael Costello and Christopher Palu seem/seemed to be pretty comfortable only doing evening wear.

I think there are many ways to design genderless. You can go the shapeless route like Nancy did. Or you can upend gender stereotypes by going genderfuck. This means making more form fitting and stereotypically feminine clothing for men and making women's wear that might be more masculine. As it stood, there was nothing in Nancy's collection that I could see a cis man ever wanting to wear. Men tend to go for colorful form fitting sexy clothing when they want to upend gender stereotypes. She says she wanted to design for everyone, but she's really making slightly androgynous women's wear.  I actually could see a man wanting wear one of Victoria's blazers,  especially if he had a good body, before he considered Nancy's.

There was some applause for the models with disabilities. However, there was applause when Thijin stomped her way on the runway to open Geoffrey's show. There was applause when Nancy's model in the faux fur served up a big helping of "eat it" as she swung her coat around. Nancy's opening model used very forceful rolls of her wheelchair to be her version of a strong runway walk. She was modeling from top to bottom. You kind of forgot about Nancy's nothing garment. There was probably some applause because of her disability, but I think there was more because that woman was a really good model. Nancy's models had some of the strongest runway presences of any of the models. It is so much so that DD was a little underwhelming in the show.

Nancy's model in the wheelchair was rolling her way down the runway in time to the beat - it was truly cool (and worthy of applause).  That is fierce!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

But then again I liked Karlie's dress, so what do I know?

I liked it too but I wish the skirt had more of an actual waistband on it. I feel like the poofiness started a few inches too high and it reminded me of, like, a dress-up tutu that a little kid would have.

• Love 6

I just reviewed all 4 collections and I realized that most of Geoffrey's stuff was oversized...the very reason they dinged Nancy for a couple of weeks ago.

I'm neither happy nor sad that he won.  I was of the mindset ..anyone but Victoria.

But last night as I was watching I realized that Geoffrey needed the mentorship aspect of the prize the most.  Nancy had family support and looked well off,  Victoria had her husbands support and already had a brand and Sergio was already designing for people.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Sergio.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-12_0.jp

Space station saloon girl. 

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-16_0.jp

Overwhelming in it’s dullness. That bottom tier is a gorgeous fabric and he boring-ed it up.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-20_0.jp

This is lovely and I feel like I saw Daisy Ridley wear it a few years ago at a Star Wars premiere.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-21_0.jp

This seems designed for Gwyneth Paltrow and that is never a fashion compliment. 

My problem with the bottom two is how low the bras are - I think if they were an inch or so higher they would be more flattering.  IMO they make the models look short-waisted, which they definitely are not.

• Love 9

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-32_0.jp

This is weird and beautiful and unusual. The jacket is so much better unzipped.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-36_0.jp

I love this put would have loved it more on a male model. Timothee Chalamet for this one. The fit is poor in the hips and waist.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-37_0.jp

The space station inspector.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-40_0.jp

This is pure gorgeous.

This is Geoffrey’s. Wooops.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Label of designer
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m stunned Geoffrey won. I liked him but I guess I have no idea what fashion is. Who knew that giant puffer jackets and flappy sleeve looking things hanging all over the place would be winning looks. 
At least Victoria and Sergio didn’t win. 

The look on Thijin gave the appearance of a very long droopy deflated right boob. And all the hanging bits on all the looks just struck me as likely to knot up and wreck a washing machine. But that assumes someone will wear those clothes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just thought of something. Nancy many times stated her pieces are supposed to be genderless. Male, female, ace... Anyone should be able to wear them if they want to. Yet she used all female models besides Dee. She should have had one or two male models if her clothes can really be worn by men. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I'm neither elated nor enraged, so yay! I quess. 

Geoffrey certainly needs the win more than the other 3 (sorry, Mr. Victoria- back to your truck!)

I have to admit Vic's last minute dress was the best thing on the runway.

I'd love to see Kerry Washington on a Red Carpet somewhere in Victoria's last dress.  Or Jennifer Lawrence.   Or anyone, really.   It was a gorgeous garment......and I loathe Victoria.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Seriously - if this is a warning shot of fashion to come just shoot me now. I just cannot believe that this mess won. I can't think of who would want to wear these clothes. Nina ? Karly? I think not.

The fact that they chose this over Sergio is just mind boggling to me. Especially after the glowing reviews they gave him - although I kind of knew that they were just fucking with us. Love him or hate him, his collection was so beautiful - the color story, the fit the finishes. Just exquisite. What a joke this show has become.

^THIS^ To be honest, given all the bullshit sniping Nina did over Sergio 'copying' looks, and she said the same thing to Geoffrey, I canNOT believe they gave him the win. His clothes in that runway show were fucking ugly.

13 hours ago, Lemons said:

Sergio’s dresses were stunning.  When he said that his client is older they always say “but she wants to look young”.  I’m so sick of hearing that.  Not every 50 year old wants to dress like JLo. What is wrong with a sixty year old in a classic beautifully tailored dress without her boobs hanging out? The word “sexy” never enters my mind when I shop.  

This.Right.Here.  I think people like the judges - who spew this shit about what we, the public, really want - are just spewing bullshit to prop up their desire for everyone to look younger. IMO, there is nothing worse than seeing 40+ women wearing Forever 21 schmatas. It's just sad, and I always want to say, "Honey, just dress for your age, you aint 21 no more..." There is plenty of 'fashion' for women over the age of 40, where we don't need to look like we're still in high school, nor like we're going twerking at a cheap club. Just sayin'...

• Love 18

I think people like the judges - who spew this shit about what we, the public, really want - are just spewing bullshit to prop up their desire for everyone to look younger. to justify their rarified existence.

I adore beautiful clothes, but I hate the relatively small circle of snooty, arrogant pinheads that insist on making it about money, social status, physical appearance, exclusivity, etc. (Wintour, Lagerfeld, Talley, "ladies who lunch," etc.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Corgi-ears said:

That Sergio spent all season positioning himself as the "eco political" designer, only to have Nancy swoop in in the last few weeks to snatch the "Wokest Designer" title from him, is probably the one good, hilarious thing about the finale.

He got some good advice which he, of course, ignored.  Viewers should be able to get aspects of your message from looking at your collection.  You couldn't without Sergio explaining, and then it was still kind of iffy.   

I really think his woman in this show was largely the love child of Joan Crawford and Annie Oakley.

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

I agree with @pasdetrois re Nancy’s designs being for everyone but not really fitting everyone (sorry if I misstated what you said).  I like Nancy as a person but I also think her “no waste” thing makes no sense. Fashion is inherently wasteful. Nina sneering about looks being “referential” or done already and her line about the winner and the future of design are the result of an industry where design always has to be clearly new because the point is selling you new stuff to replace old stuff whether you need it or not. Also anyone who sews garments knows there’s TONS of waste in the process. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

A 10 piece collection and the winner not only repeated a gown, but sent it down the runway in sequence? Yep, whatever. I'm sick of Billie Eilish, her music, her fashion, and her hair, so if that's what they think his collection represents, hard pass.  They probably gave it to him so he wouldn't cry.

And is he really going to take the mentorship to heart? The only reason his models didn't have studs on their faces is he FORGOT to pack that bag. 

Underwhelmed here by the winner, the rolling tire that was the final piece and his giant gauges. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Was I the only one who noticed that Victoria had an amputee model as well? She was wearing a white pantsuit I believe. I don’t think I noticed any particular swell of applause for her.

Puffy garments have been a fashion thing for a while. One the biggest red carpet moments last year was Ezra Miller in Moncler. He was fierce as fuck.

_104244577_ezra976_v3.jpg

Sergio made beautiful, well-tailored dresses that I could go in any store and find right now BUT he added fringe. And ugly fringe at that. 

Where do you shop that you could find some of those dresses?  

I can’t imagine Sergio doing a fashion line, he’s more of a custom designer with the type of his skills. Tough to make a living that way though. 

• Love 2

I saw Victoria's model - she was missing her arm from below the elbow, and if the camera hadn't focused on the missing limb she would not have stood out in any way - because isn't that what inclusion should be?  Where we don't notice the differences?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, AntManBee said:

Nina, on Watch What Happens, noted that Serena was pro Sergio.  Also, I got the vibe from WWH that Nina doesn't think too highly of Brandon. 

Lol, I read this as Nina noted Sergio was pro Sergio and I was like, Yeah, duh?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I was happy Geoffrey won.  He's emotional, but seems sweet.  The whole time his collection was showing I kept thinking about some Hip Hop artists wearing some of those looks at awards shows.   Christian LOVED the round, black puffer pod.  

• Love 12