Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

On 3/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, hula-la said:

I’m staying at home, I’m seriously considering trying to make a version of her dress. It was hands down the best thing on the runway.

Great idea, I never even considered this, BUT yes, it could definitely be done. Especially with that one dress (which she made in a couple of hours they said...). I found at least two outfits from each designer's line that I thought were great, or attention-worthy. To me, these are amazing odds considering how I have felt during past finales.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m going through the finale collections. There were some great pieces and some real clunkers. Starting with Victoria.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-01_0.jp

Remove the jacket, hat and bag and this is a great outfit. It really suffered from over-styling.

If these are culottes, then they were great... never. Trust me, I wore them to death, back in the day, and the look never got better.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-32_0.jp

This is weird and beautiful and unusual. The jacket is so much better unzipped.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-36_0.jp

I love this put would have loved it more on a male model. Timothee Chalamet for this one. The fit is poor in the hips and waist.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-37_0.jp

The space station inspector.

project-runway-1814-final-outfit-40_0.jp

This is pure gorgeous.

This is Geoffrey’s. Wooops.

I love the train inspector jacket. One of my fave looks from his line. The last dress has the 3H's - Too hot, heavy and hideous.

• Love 3

Well, that’s a wrap! Just a couple of comments:

Swatch was at Mood-that was great. 
So happy that Marnie was NOT the guest stylist, I much prefer Ms. Welch (forgot her first name).

So happy Victoria did NOT win, I could  never get behind her clothes or personality. Plus those crocheted hats? Ugh! 

Geoffrey continues to be exhausting to watch. I honestly found myself anxious whenever he was onscreen. Not good for my health! I am hoping he can get intense therapy or meds (or maybe the right meds if he’s already on them?) 

I was really hoping someone would have quickly shown Serena the way to the Tresemme hair studio, she needed some help. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Lemons said:

I agree with these but I also think Geoffrey's line would be very limited too.  Limited to people who dress like Geoffrey and honestly how many people are able to dress like that?

He was the only designer that was at all exhibiting enough creativity so that it could theoretically be channeled into a commercially successful line.

Presumably puffer coats aren't all he would produce as he did some standout designs. He had the tie dye dress with simple lines that was infinitely more interesting than Nancy's runway dresses that were theoretically the same basic sheath silhouette.

Hopefully he isn't a one trick pony but time will only tell. At any rate, based on his competition, he was the only designer who would seem to have a shot at actually achieving any kind of success. 

There was a designer from an early season - was her name Chloe? - who has a fairly successful clothing store based on her designs and I would think Victoria could do that or she could probably get a job as an in-house anonymous designer for any one of the brands that do commercial clothing for the masses or for the bridge line price points.

Sergio did beautiful clothing but should have been born into a time when Hattie Carnegie reigned supreme for that crowd. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Geoffrey exhausts me.  I think he creates drama around himself as he repeatedly told us about the chasm between himself and his father yet his father sounded nothing but proud when Geoffrey called him about his win.  Geoffrey also lamented that he would have to get a regular job (oh the horror as so many of us get "jobs" in order to live) if he didn't win, yet he also told us that he worked on a Disney project during the hiatus (thus he is a working designer).  Everything seemed like a crisis for him, so it really wasn't enjoyable for me throughout the season to be drawn into his angst.

VERY well said.

Every close up of Geoffrey was his face turning bright red and him on the edge of tears.  He made the final four on a show where way more talented designers didn't get the same chance.  It also seems that he's had chance AFTER chance AFTER chance in his life.  His story about how his father didn't support him was the most offensive because it was a flat out LIE.  This show wasn't about fashion. It was about DRAMA!!!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned that Nancy stole the 'woke' slot from Sergio and I agree.  I don't remember Nancy saying word one about wanting her clothing to be 'inclusive'.  At the beginning of the show all Nancy spoke about was NANCY, which is why she almost put Brittany into a coma (while the other contestants ran for their lives). Nancy must have seen that Sergio was getting a lot of attention and decided that she was going to try the same thing.  Nancy wisely chose the differently-abled to draw attention to herself because who is going to criticize a model in a wheelchair.  Unfortunately, she didn't back her bullshit up with good design.  NONE of the four did.

• Love 2

I'm so glad Geoffrey won.  The fact that he was swarmed and the reaction from his fellow contestants, he must've been well loved by them.  And so glad Victoria didn't win! 

Edit:  I actually liked Sergio's collection the best, even though there were a lot of misses and thought most of Geoffrey's stuff terrible but maybe more interesting   But I knew Sergio and Nancy wouldn't win because they both are older, design for older. Personally, I wasn't a fan of Nancy's work most of the season.   

Overall, a terrible runway.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 7

On the topic of puffer jackets, I seem to remember a designer from last season(?) who specialized in puffer jackets because they reflected his urban background.  That poor young man was called everything but a child of God.  Yet Geoffrey bases his entire collection on puffer jackets and it's some sort of revelation in fashion?  Please.

And I thought this was a design competition, not a popularity contest. 

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

On the topic of puffer jackets, I seem to remember a designer from last season(?) who specialized in puffer jackets because they reflected his urban background.  That poor young man was called everything but a child of God.  Yet Geoffrey bases his entire collection on puffer jackets and it's some sort of revelation in fashion?  Please.

Geoffrey had three puffer coats among his ten looks, so hardly his whole collection. And Nina did call him out for the Rick Owens/Moncler reference, but I think the difference was that a) his use of metal mesh rather than nylon (I bet you could see it better in person than on TV) and b) he had varied shapes. The kid last season kept making long black puffer dresses, which is literally what Moncler was putting out. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Karlie’s dress was awful. Completely unflattering.

IMO, Karlie has awful fashion sense and usually looks terrible on this show. Whoever her stylist is should be fired. I also find her cold and inauthentic and well, just with a bitch undertone that I don't care for. I'd be happy to see her replaced.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

And I thought this was a design competition, not a popularity contest. 

It was Jamal Osterholm who was very hit or miss.

He designed a puffer gown which the judges loved.

112qsVt.jpg

and non puffer designs like this

tumblr_pp41kc49pi1t7cst8_1280.jpg

• Love 3
2 hours ago, amarante said:

Sergio did beautiful clothing but should have been born into a time when Hattie Carnegie reigned supreme for that crowd. 

I love Hattie Carnegie! But mostly for her accessories. I have a few of her early jewelry pieces and a couple of her cool perfume bottles shaped like a bust of a woman.

2 hours ago, charming said:

It was Jamal Osterholm who was very hit or miss.

He designed a puffer gown which the judges loved.

112qsVt.jpg

and non puffer designs like this

tumblr_pp41kc49pi1t7cst8_1280.jpg

I think this is better than most of the stuff Geoffrey sent down the runway.  But Jamal wasn't able to cry on cue.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I think this is better than most of the stuff Geoffrey sent down the runway.  But Jamal wasn't able to cry on cue.

In my memory, these were the only two pieces he did well. He had a lot of misses.

• Love 6

I cannot find the decoy collections anywhere. The only thing I found was one design of Chelsey’s worn by a New England Pats player. He instagrammed a photo of himself. I am hoping this is just an embargo on posting and soon the designers can at least instagram their lines.

Looking around harder.

This MIGHT be Chelsey’s collection. 

It’s a collection by her that says it’s NYFW.

I am not impressed at all. It doesn’t look expensive. I know they get less money and all, but this looks like clothes from my closet upcycled. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, BlackberryJam said:

Looking around harder.

I am not impressed at all. It doesn’t look expensive. I know they get less money and all, but this looks like clothes from my closet upcycled. 

Oh, man, I hate the styling.

• Love 5
Just now, carrps said:

Oh, man, I hate the styling.

wow...….pretty ugly stuff

I will have to look at what she produced on this show because this is a big surprise if this is her style

On 3/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, Lemons said:

I’m so sick of hearing that.  Not every 50 year old wants to dress like JLo.

And not every over 50 year old wants to look like a reject from a Hee Haw revival.  I've gone over and over Sergio's collection, and I can only find 3 outfits that don't look like they should be sold at a discount barn in Branson, Missouri.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, JoyGirl said:

And not every over 50 year old wants to look like a reject from a Hee Haw revival.  I've gone over and over Sergio's collection, and I can only find 3 outfits that don't look like they should be sold at a discount barn in Branson, Missouri.

Yes, buy those three outfits were better than all the other runway looks combined in this finale, IMO...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Looking around harder.

That’s a big No for me. But the styling was horrendous 

• Love 3

I loved Karlie's outfit. It was a fun throw back to the early 2000s. 

These season was low energy or something. I wasn't rooting for anyone, I was somewhat rooting against people though (Victoria & Sergio). At the same time, there was no one I was disappointed didn't make it to the final. 

Sergio need to simplify multiple of his looks and vary the length of the fringe. Sean Kelly did a beautiful collection of fringe looks that never looked country. 

Nancy had pretty fabrics that did all the work. 

Geoffrey's collections looks really disjointed. I didn't understand the delicate sheer next to the heavy chain mail looks. 

Victoria, awful colors and no need for logos. It all looked very 80s, tired 80s. 

We're in an age of multiple fashion design shows. Project Runway needs to step up on the talent casting and challenges, I can barely remember any of them. 

PS - Don't think that's a PR runway for Chelsey since the background is black and not white like the show. 

Edited by heyjupiter
Chelsey added.
  • Love 4

Dud of a finale, which is unfortunate because Geoff, Nancy and Sergio all produced better looks during the season. 

I would not have minded Sergio's ice caps melting idea if it had just been his concept for a collection and not the 5th "cause" he was trying to pretend he really cared about. I liked some pieces, but with melting ice as a theme, they could have been amazing.  

Nancy was all over the place and I kind of blame the judges for insisting she do something totally different than what she had been showing them. I thought what she had been showing all season was interesting and was clearly her point of view and personal style. 

Victoria's impromptu dress was her best look and I almost --I SAID ALMOST : D --wish she could start her season over again now, cuz I think we would see some fresher things from her. 

Geoffrey's coat reminds me of those sumo suits you can rent for parties and put on and then run into each other. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, heyjupiter said:

Sergio need to simplify multiple of his looks and vary the length of the fringe. Sean Kelly did a beautiful collection of fringe looks that never looked country. 

I was just about to say that!  If the fringe was supposed to represent melting ice, making it random lengths (like dripping icicles) would have completely changed the whole feel of several of his outfits.  I wonder of that's what Brandon was hinting at when he said Sergio should "mess" it up.  I'm not sure Sergio could have let that go though - his idea of "messing it up" was a turtleneck.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, gingerella said:

IMO, Karlie has awful fashion sense and usually looks terrible on this show. Whoever her stylist is should be fired. I also find her cold and inauthentic and well, just with a bitch undertone that I don't care for. I'd be happy to see her replaced.

A lot of people seem to have problems with her.  I don't like or dislike her - she's just kind of forgettably there.  But that dress was HIDEOUS  and you're right about her needing a different stylist, although from what you see on the (real) runway and the  red carpet, well, I question their taste level (or whatever Nina says).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I LOVED all the collections!! I’m so happy for Geoffrey! Not my style but I think he rocked it for what he was trying to accomplish. Victoria’s was my favorite in terms of what I prefer but I was ok with her not winning. Actually I would been fine with anyone winning. This has been my favorite finale since Christian won I think.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Victoria's impromptu dress was her best look and I almost --I SAID ALMOST : D --wish she could start her season over again now, cuz I think we would see some fresher things from her. 

Yeah I agree. I think she was a little too self-impressed with herself and thought that she was "done" developing her style-- she just needed Project Runway  to have the world "discover her". That last dress was really pretty, and *nothing* like she'd done before.

• Love 10
On 3/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, candall said:

Everyone complained about Sergio's fringe, but ye gods, man.  Buy some better fringe!!!  That's some vintage Dolly Parton Grand Ol' Opry stuff you have there.  There must be fringe available that's less shiny polyester and uniform length and more like liquid melting icicles. 

ITA - I'm not a huge fan of fringe but there are definitely different lengths and qualities of fringe out there. The ones that Sergio used looked very cheap (and the judges always want things to look expensive and luxurious). I think the length of the fringe he used also didn't help. Just some bad choices.

18 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

His story about how his father didn't support him was the most offensive because it was a flat out LIE. 

On 3/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, seacliffsal said:

he repeatedly told us about the chasm between himself and his father yet his father sounded nothing but proud when Geoffrey called him about his win. 

IIRC in a previous episode Geoffrey said there was a rift between him and his father for a while (I'm pretty sure he said it was because he was gay) but that eventually his dad accepted him and that they have a good relationship now. The fact that they have reconciled does not take away however many years of pain he felt at being rejected by his father though. It's hard when your family makes it clear that they do not approve of you as a human being.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yeah I agree. I think she was a little too self-impressed with herself and thought that she was "done" developing her style-- she just needed Project Runway  to have the world "discover her". That last dress was really pretty, and *nothing* like she'd done before.

I think that she and Sergio came into the competition with a similar attitude: I make this kind of clothing for a certain kind of niche clientele so I'm just going to make the same stuff that I know has worked for me in the past and use Project Runway as a vehicle to advertise my brand and get some new customers. They were not pushing themselves to do anything new. I hope that seeing how well received that white dress was makes Victoria realize that she can do things besides strappy asymmetrical blazers with cut outs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Cheese it, it's the Kheops!

Did anyone else think that after they decided he would win the producers sent an intern around to swipe Geoffrey's face jewels to help him out?

It must be tough to find space around NYFW, since PR had to hold their show in a high school gym.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Totale said:

Cheese it, it's the Kheops!

Did anyone else think that after they decided he would win the producers sent an intern around to swipe Geoffrey's face jewels to help him out?

It must be tough to find space around NYFW, since PR had to hold their show in a high school gym.

I’m pretty sure Christian said that the show was held in the same location where his show was held. I know they mentioned the name of a location, but it wasn’t a high school gym. 

ETA: the location was Spring Studios

Edited by hula-la
Did a little internet sleuthing.
  • Love 4
On 3/13/2020 at 11:30 AM, HunterHunted said:

There was some applause for the models with disabilities. However, there was applause when Thijin stomped her way on the runway to open Geoffrey's show. There was applause when Nancy's model in the faux fur served up a big helping of "eat it" as she swung her coat around. Nancy's opening model used very forceful rolls of her wheelchair to be her version of a strong runway walk. She was modeling from top to bottom. You kind of forgot about Nancy's nothing garment. There was probably some applause because of her disability, but I think there was more because that woman was a really good model.

She was a fantastic model. When she threw her left shoulder up right before wheeling a 180 to return to the back of the runway it was as powerful as Thijin’s stomp.

When one of the prosthetic-wearing models walked up and said she was customizable I squealed because it was Viktoria Modesta. She has oooodles of cool legs and does a lot of kooky pop art/music stuff. 

Sergio’s collection was not my thing but the ombre of it when all the looks are viewed together is nice (as Tom and Lorenzo display it on their site). There had to have been a better way to represent melting ice caps, be it higher quality fringe of different lengths, fabric choice, or even a little rending of the garments as Brandon requested. Just wish it had been shown more creatively.

Happy for Geoffrey and I loved the tick coat because it was just so absurd and made me laugh.

@Totale said: Did anyone else think that after they decided he would win the producers sent an intern around to swipe Geoffrey's face jewels to help him out?

Hell I think Christian was the one who disappeared them 😉

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 6

I was looking at the pictures from the Paris 2020 runways.  Latex was used to make hideous leggings.  And some of Paco Rabanne's dresses reminded me of Sergio's with the fringe and "Mexican cowboy" look.  

And they are trying to revive large platform boots.

Edited by Lemons
Added
  • Useful 1
49 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I was looking at the pictures from the Paris 2020 runways.  Latex was used to make hideous leggings. 

Don't google Kim Kardashian in Paris! 😲

• Love 1
On 3/14/2020 at 9:02 PM, DaphneCat said:

I was just about to say that!  If the fringe was supposed to represent melting ice, making it random lengths (like dripping icicles) would have completely changed the whole feel of several of his outfits.  I wonder of that's what Brandon was hinting at when he said Sergio should "mess" it up.  I'm not sure Sergio could have let that go though - his idea of "messing it up" was a turtleneck.

To be fair, the turtleneck was pretty messed up and actually started to split at the seams. Nailed it!

• LOL 8
On 3/13/2020 at 12:38 AM, HunterHunted said:

Geoffrey's was avant garde. I didn't love everything in it, but I always think that the winner should be the person who puts together a collection full of things I never could even conceive of. That's Geoffrey and to a lesser extent Victoria.

I think Geoffrey won not so much based on the collection he put down the runway, but that, just as he had done all season long, he continually put things down the runway that showed he had plenty of ideas and was willing to put them out there, and wasn't afraid to tinker with them according to feedback.   Brandon made a comment during the episode, prior to the runway, along those lines and the fact that the winner was going to be awarded a CFDA mentorship.  It was obvious the winner had to be someone that would be receptive to input in the mentorship and for whom it might produce results.  A mentorship might be able to help him refine the nuggets of inspiration amidst the wild ideas into meaningfully innovative design.

Sergio had already given ample proof all season long he knew better than everyone else, no matter what anyone said.

Maybe Victoria might have made a case for herself if she had pulled back on the branding.  The fact she still presented it with such prominence proved she really only paid token lip service to taking advice into account.

Nancy finally couldn't outrun her age when it came down to further stacking the odds against her becoming successful in fashion at this point.  When she really relied on message and fabric instead of innovative design for the runway she sealed her fate. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 3/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, Archery said:

Geoffrey’s Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man collection was not at all attractive. More cartoonish than anything else. And, omg, the tears. So over him, whining about if he doesn’t win he’ll have to get a job. Boo hoo. 

I couldn’t get into Nancy’s fabric—it looked scratchy and stiff. It must have a different quality in real life. 

I ended up not liking Sergio or Victoria as characters, but each of them had some beautiful, wearable pieces. V’s white sweater dress was great and made me wish I had nice shoulders, or even just one. Sergio’s grey/silver reflective thing was stunning.

i did enjoy the season as a whole: Christian’s tough, snarky love; the way they gave them extra help; the mix of model body types. There were a good 20-25 really fabulous looks throughout the season. 

Called it that Geoffrey would win due to his out there designs and good back story. I didn’t like any of them. In fact, I thought most were ridiculous, which Nina eluded to when she implied they’d have to be scaled down to sell. 

I don’t like Victoria but I liked her designs the best, especially the white dress at the end. I also liked a few of Sergio’s. 

• Love 2
On 3/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, carrps said:

When Sergio said he designed for the 45-65 demographic, I felt Sergio was the one saying old ladies need to dress like old ladies...

1478007805_imageproxy(1).thumb.jpg.0f5c6e619a98e20fccbea675c39d93bf.jpg

This is the one that looked like g-grandma's drapes. Ick.

I actively hated Victoria's lime green (NOT mint, Elaine) and shocking pink looks. 

This disaster looks like something a 7th grader made in Home Ec. Not only do I agree with above posts about the tacky fringe, the polyester satin looks so cheap, and is that avant gard (sp?) seaming on the front or wrinkles? 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:45 PM, JoyGirl said:

Lol, ikr? My thoughts of geography went to Texas on Sergio's collection. Idk what he thinks rich older women want to look like, but surely this ain't it. This dress in particular I could see on 70's Dolly Parton.

• Love 4
On 3/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, jrzy said:

I so agree,  I kept hoping all those tearful testimonials were because he lost, but sadly no such luck.

I am sure he is a wonderful human being but god his stuff was UGLY.

And pretty much copied directly from other designers currently working.  He owes Moncler and Kanye West a cut of his winnings.  That mustard yellow outfit was straight up Yeezy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

This disaster looks like something a 7th grader made in Home Ec. 

This took me to a flashback of 7th grade Home Ec.  I was the world's worst seamstress.  My teacher gave me a D on a skirt because if she'd given me the F I'd earned, I'd have had to do Home Ec over the next year, and she didn't want to ever see me again.

And that skirt was better than this Sergio's dress.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

This disaster looks like something a 7th grader made in Home Ec. Not only do I agree with above posts about the tacky fringe, the polyester satin looks so cheap, and is that avant gard (sp?) seaming on the front or wrinkles? 

Lol, ikr? My thoughts of geography went to Texas on Sergio's collection. Idk what he thinks rich older women want to look like, but surely this ain't it. This dress in particular I could see on 70's Dolly Parton.

I'm a Texan here and because of my job I have dealt with lots of affluent Texas women - who wouldn't be caught dead wearing something like the dress above.  

• Love 4