Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think the contestants are kind of scared to do anything too crazy because the judges talk endlessly about things being wearable and not a costume. People keep talking about the fabulous Christian/Chris March dress and wonder why no one makes pieces like that now but if they did it would be called a costume.

But that dress, and the lamentations about how no one on the show was doing anything that creative or arresting, were all in the context of the avant garde challenge, where they’re not meant to be making “wearable” or approachable pieces, and where costumey isn’t a fault. 

Geoffrey’s looks were certainly mostly not something people would pull off the rack and take home, but I don’t think the PR finale shows are intended to be ready-to-wear challenges. (If they were, Victoria would’ve been the obvious choice.) There are some years where winners have made collections that were both very creative and something you could see walking right out of a high-end boutique (Sebastian, for example), and others where the designer has ideas that could be refined and distilled to something wearable and salable, but are interesting and different enough in the finale show. Geoffrey seems to fall in the latter category. Only time will tell what his future holds. There are also-rans like Michael Costello who work steadily with public recognition, but nowhere near Christian’s level, and winners who made cool collections but whom you never hear a thing about. I mean, who even knows what Leanne Marshall is up to?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Where do you shop that you could find some of those dresses?  

I can’t imagine Sergio doing a fashion line, he’s more of a custom designer with the type of his skills. Tough to make a living that way though. 

His stuff is pretty much Marchesa with fringe. but you can get any bustier dress with a circle skirt and slap on some fringe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I HATE to admit it, but I really liked Victoria’s collection. I thought it was between her & Nancy (& Geoffrey has been my favorite all season). Aside from 3 looks, I thought Sergio’s was awful & dated. I was also relieved Sergio didn’t propose on the runway. He did seem to learn a little from watching the season. I floved that last-minute sweater dress of Victoria’s! I loved that cool material of Nancy’s, IMO, she had the keep the designs simple with that fabric. Finally, I adore Christian. What a great mentor.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Sergio's gray dresses were beautiful. But the other pieces were horrible. That off-shoulder pale blue with the fringe? Were the judges throwing him a bone because he's a good tailor?

I took one look at that one (see below) and said "Grandma's brocade curtains...No! Great-grandma's brocade curtains."

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Nina disliked Sergio not because of his causes but because he dared to say women who aren’t 20 deserve nice clothing. Nina is very much in denial about her own age. 

When Sergio said he designed for the 45-65 demographic, I felt Sergio was the one saying old ladies need to dress like old ladies, and it felt like a personal insult to me. I think he's found a population that will pay him for this look and is afraid to step outside of it. 

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.55d82239fc24b4ac8142a5496df1b0ef.jpg

This was the only plus sized model who looked good to me.

Nancy just paraded interesting fabrics. None of her clothes were "designed" or interesting.

1478007805_imageproxy(1).thumb.jpg.0f5c6e619a98e20fccbea675c39d93bf.jpg

This is the one that looked like g-grandma's drapes. Ick.

I actively hated Victoria's lime green (NOT mint, Elaine) and shocking pink looks. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

But that dress, and the lamentations about how no one on the show was doing anything that creative or arresting, were all in the context of the avant garde challenge, where they’re not meant to be making “wearable” or approachable pieces, and where costumey isn’t a fault. 

Geoffrey’s looks were certainly mostly not something people would pull off the rack and take home, but I don’t think the PR finale shows are intended to be ready-to-wear challenges. (If they were, Victoria would’ve been the obvious choice.) There are some years where winners have made collections that were both very creative and something you could see walking right out of a high-end boutique (Sebastian, for example), and others where the designer has ideas that could be refined and distilled to something wearable and salable, but are interesting and different enough in the finale show. Geoffrey seems to fall in the latter category. Only time will tell what his future holds. There are also-rans like Michael Costello who work steadily with public recognition, but nowhere near Christian’s level, and winners who made cool collections but whom you never hear a thing about. I mean, who even knows what Leanne Marshall is up to?

The last few seasons the contestants were told their avant-garde dresses had to still be wearable. That was my point.

14 minutes ago, carrps said:

1478007805_imageproxy(1).thumb.jpg.0f5c6e619a98e20fccbea675c39d93bf.jpg

This is the one that looked like g-grandma's drapes. Ick.

I actively hated Victoria's lime green (NOT mint, Elaine) and shocking pink looks. 

this one looks like another version of the curtain dress Scarlett wore in Gone With the Wind

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

https://images.app.goo.gl/pZhJJjdfiuZJugA47

I don't know if I can get this image from the 2020 London College of Fashion runway into my post, but I think it has a lot to do with explaining how Geoffrey's big fat tick coats won the day.

Personally, I loved Nancy's collection.  I think she was dinged because her fabrics were so beautiful--there's no way that molten mercurial flow would have benefitted from being seamed and tucked and structured.  She included a couple of looks with all the tailoring anyone could ask for and they were coherent with the rest of her stuff, which was probably difficult to pull off. 

The clothes were gorgeous, the design skill was there, the sustainability backstory is current, the models were inspiring; Nancy's whole runway was terrific.

I don't know how Victoria made it to the runway in the first place.  I'll give her credit for not sending out ten dresses with a really long hem on the left side.  Her white sweater dress was indeed stunning.

Everyone complained about Sergio's fringe, but ye gods, man.  Buy some better fringe!!!  That's some vintage Dolly Parton Grand Ol' Opry stuff you have there.  There must be fringe available that's less shiny polyester and uniform length and more like liquid melting icicles.  Ask Nancy to help you shop.

Edited by candall
still working on that image. Someone tell me how?
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20
5 minutes ago, candall said:

I don't know if I can get this image from the 2020 London Academy of Fashion runway into my post, but I think it has a lot to do with explaining how Geoffrey's big fat tick coats won the day.

O.k. I kinda love them? I'm guessing they're meant to mimic those boxer's punching thingies? ETA: Speed bags! Is that what they're called?

And I agree with you about the fringe Sergio used -- the cheapest tackiest fringe he could buy.

As for Nancy's, I really didn't like her color palate. She bought that lighter fabric at Mood, but didn't use it. Her colors looked like bruises or blood clots.

Edited by carrps
Think I remember what I forgot.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Little Lady Back said:

Once again, Christian is the star of the show! Never stop twirling, sassing, and being you, Christian!!  

Christian's last interview with the final four. He is soo charming & smart; I will truly miss him until next season:

Also, Victoria was a little drunk, lol. I wasn't mad; she's a petite woman & it was a long, exhausting day. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Ooh, that was fun, thanks for posting it.  

They showed Christian wearing Geoffrey's giant black puffy coat in the workroom.  He's a jet black M&M.

Wait, what do you mean Christian won't be on the show next season?!?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, carrps said:

O.k. I kinda love them? I'm guessing they're meant to mimic those boxer's punching thingies? ETA: Speed bags! Is that what they're called?

And I agree with you about the fringe Sergio used -- the cheapest tackiest fringe he could buy.

As for Nancy's, I really didn't like her color palate. She bought that lighter fabric at Mood, but didn't use it. Her colors looked like bruises or blood clots.

Oh sure Nancy used that fabric - she used it to make herself a matching pants suit to the one shown on the runway.

• Love 2
Just now, RoxiP said:

Oh sure Nancy used that fabric - she used it to make herself a matching pants suit to the one shown on the runway.

She wore it? I wasn't looking at her. Ha!

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, terrymct said:

A win by Geoffrey wasn’t as bad as Gretchen or Anya, but it was right down there.  

I so agree,  I kept hoping all those tearful testimonials were because he lost, but sadly no such luck.

I am sure he is a wonderful human being but god his stuff was UGLY.

Edited by jrzy
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, candall said:

Ooh, that was fun, thanks for posting it.  

They showed Christian wearing Geoffrey's giant black puffy coat in the workroom.  He's a jet black M&M.

Wait, what do you mean Christian won't be on the show next season?!?

It means Christian won't be on Tim and Heidi's new show.

I loved the video, too. Loved Christian's "gift" to Geoffrey. 😄

• Love 2
1 hour ago, candall said:

I don't know if I can get this image from the 2020 London College of Fashion runway into my post, but I think it has a lot to do with explaining how Geoffrey's big fat tick coats won the day.

Personally, I loved Nancy's collection.  I think she was dinged because her fabrics were so beautiful--there's no way that molten mercurial flow would have benefitted from being seamed and tucked and structured.  She included a couple of looks with all the tailoring anyone could ask for and they were coherent with the rest of her stuff, which was probably difficult to pull off. 

The clothes were gorgeous, the design skill was there, the sustainability backstory is current, the models were inspiring; Nancy's whole runway was terrific.

I don't know how Victoria made it to the runway in the first place.  I'll give her credit for not sending out ten dresses with a really long hem on the left side.  Her white sweater dress was indeed stunning.

Everyone complained about Sergio's fringe, but ye gods, man.  Buy some better fringe!!!  That's some vintage Dolly Parton Grand Ol' Opry stuff you have there.  There must be fringe available that's less shiny polyester and uniform length and more like liquid melting icicles.  Ask Nancy to help you shop.

I agree with everything you said,  I too loved Nancy's collection, and I loved her in general thru the entire season.   

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

I’m quite relieved to see here that I am not the only one who thought Geoffrey’s collection was obviously the worst. It was definitely in the “one of these things is not like the others” category for me, and I guess that should have been a big clue. Further proof that I am the worst judge of fashion ever. I hope Geoffrey will be able to benefit from the mentorship - I just worry about his emotional well-being. 

I was sitting there wondering at the end if I am just too old to understand "fashion"  I am so glad there are other's who didn't love poor Geoffrey's collection.  Geoffrey,  I think,  needs a long long rest and the name of a good therapist to help with his obvious anxiety.  For his sake,  I suppose its a good thing he won but how is he going to handle the stress of it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m stunned Geoffrey won. I liked him but I guess I have no idea what fashion is. Who knew that giant puffer jackets and flappy sleeve looking things hanging all over the place would be winning looks. 
At least Victoria and Sergio didn’t win. 

THIS! OMG I was stunned also...worst designs ever. I guess the "judges" are looking to market to the "Billie Eillish" look for Gen Z. Not a Sergio fan but his designs were impeccable, polished and beautiful. His craftsmanship alone was impressive. What gets me is that Nina even admonished Geoffrey for copying his puffy looks from another well known designer yet she and the others give him the win??? Wow...if this competition is now about marketing to 16 and 17 year old girls then just make it Project Runway Teeny Bopper. Those jackets were ridiculously puffed up and the models all looked like the Michelin Man.

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

His stuff is pretty much Marchesa with fringe. but you can get any bustier dress with a circle skirt and slap on some fringe.

It's New Look Dior with Marchesa with a little bit of Reem Acra thrown in and some tacky fringe tossed on top. It's rich lady in her 50s and 60s drag. His client is time traveling Babe Paley and Brooke Astor. And yet, those women wore casual clothes on occasion and Sergio is allergic to ready to wear. I'm in my 40s and I could never see myself wearing his stuff. Plus the front half of the collection was dated.

1 hour ago, candall said:

And yet when that fabric was created for Armani, he was able to design some tailored suits with it. Her problem is that she used a fabric that a well known master was able to use with superior skill. Much like Sergio's backwards tuxedo, Nancy was going to pale in comparison unless she managed to fully surpass Armani. She did not. I believe Mugler did a collection with that fabric. Mugler is known for tailored pieces so the judges knew that the fabric could be shaped and seamed. I think Armani's was the best use because he was able to play with volume and structure while still looking tailored and liquid.

I'm in my 40s. I don't think they were pandering by giving Geoffrey the win. He would have been my choice too. And not because of his anxiety, nerves, or because that was wearing thin. I think it was the better more innovative collection.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11

Geoffrey exhausts me.  I think he creates drama around himself as he repeatedly told us about the chasm between himself and his father yet his father sounded nothing but proud when Geoffrey called him about his win.  Geoffrey also lamented that he would have to get a regular job (oh the horror as so many of us get "jobs" in order to live) if he didn't win, yet he also told us that he worked on a Disney project during the hiatus (thus he is a working designer).  Everything seemed like a crisis for him, so it really wasn't enjoyable for me throughout the season to be drawn into his angst.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Geoffrey had a design aesthetic that could be translated into more commercial stuff. He was the only one that was showing clothing that wasn’t wildly derivative. 
I think one of the judges actually stated that he had ideas which could be used for the actual line. That is very much how a lot of runway fashion works as the runway stuff isn’t necessarily wearable as shown but the DNA will run through the more commercial mass produced clothing. 

Nine of the other designers showed any kind of originality that could be translated in that manner and Geoffrey would Probably benefit most from the mentor ship.

Nancy’s clothing was pretty uninteresting stripped of the fabric choices and without being ageist, why waste helping to help a designer launch when the designer is realistically at retirement age.

Sergio does beautiful clothing without fringes but  he seems to be more suited to an atelier where he designs for his ladies who lunch. 

Victoria’s designs were not attractive and he ones that were like the simple pink dress or coat were not particularly innovative. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Was I the only one who noticed that Victoria had an amputee model as well? She was wearing a white pantsuit I believe. I don’t think I noticed any particular swell of applause for her.

Puffy garments have been a fashion thing for a while. One the biggest red carpet moments last year was Ezra Miller in Moncler. He was fierce as fuck.

_104244577_ezra976_v3.jpg

Geoffrey was referential, but his entire collection wasn’t puffer and his was done in metal mesh, an incredibly difficult material. That black coat wasn’t a fluffy light puffer. It probably weighed 40lbs or more. 

Geoff’s looks were more fashion forward than anything else on the runway.

Someone above nailed it but the quote got lost for me, Victoria made Ann Taylor separates.

Nancy found great fabrics and then did pretty much nothing with them.

Sergio made beautiful, well-tailored dresses that I could go in any store and find right now BUT he added fringe. And ugly fringe at 

Ngl i think ezra looks like some type of larva in moncler's design...maybe moncler and geoffrey can team up and do an insect themed runway show...or even make "fashionable" sleeping bags...i've seen sleeping bags that looked similar, but probably more attractive and better priced!!

• Love 2

I was pretty underwhelmed with all, but I've been rooting for Geoffrey all along, so I'm happy for him.  Did his mother have to make that negative remark after his intro?  Geez, no wonder the guy is an emotional wreck.

When Victoria kept trying to grab the phone out of Nancy's hands, I so wanted Nancy to punch her in the neck.  It also grated on me the way Geoffrey was trying to hug her after her showing and she said "what, what?" as if she wanted him to go away.

• Love 2

I had forgotten that I burst out guffawing at that doctor outfit (with matching white doctor bag and shoes) that was worn by the blond dude. He just needed a stethoscope. Sorry, Geoffrey. I pretty much enjoyed the rest of your stuff but damn. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, amarante said:

Nancy’s clothing was pretty uninteresting stripped of the fabric choices and without being ageist, why waste helping to help a designer launch when the designer is realistically at retirement age.

Sergio does beautiful clothing without fringes but  he seems to be more suited to an atelier where he designs for his ladies who lunch. 

Victoria’s designs were not attractive and he ones that were like the simple pink dress or coat were not particularly innovative. 

I agree with these but I also think Geoffrey's line would be very limited too.  Limited to people who dress like Geoffrey and honestly how many people are able to dress like that?

• Love 3

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I liked it too but I wish the skirt had more of an actual waistband on it. I feel like the poofiness started a few inches too high and it reminded me of, like, a dress-up tutu that a little kid would have.

Karlie's skirt made me think that's what I would have made when I realized I couldn't sew a waist band so just turned the whole thing inside to hide it.  And I got so sick of looking at her boobage/cleavage during the runway show.

6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Was there any particular reason that Geoffrey wore beach attire to the fashion show? 

Those diaper shorts were hideous (he probably wore them because he was afraid he was going to cr*p himself).  They were later revealed to be even worse (to me at least) than they first seemed as they were made of leather.  Ugh.

Thanks to whoever posted the Tom and Lorenzo podcast.  They brought up Sergio dressing like his dad, and they were like, WTF?  As soon as he appeared all I could think was "Why is he wearing his dad's pajamas in a size too small?  With the top tucked into the pants!"   

Edited by Brookside
Clarity and to add end quotes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Karlie's skirt made me think that's what I would have made when I realized I couldn't sew a waist band so just turned the whole thing inside to hide it.  And I got so sick of looking at her boobage/cleavage during the runway show.

Those diaper shorts were hideous (he probably wore them because he was afraid he was going to cr*p himself).  They were later revealed to be even worse (to me at least) than they first seemed as they were made of leather.  Ugh.

Thanks to whoever posted the Tom and Lorenzo podcast.  They brought up Sergio dressing like his dad, and WTF?  As soon as he appeared all I could think was "Why is he wearing his dad's pajamas in a size too small?  With the top tucked into the pants!   

To me, his attire (tank)demonstrated disrespect for the competition and all those involved. Based on my observations, he was a nice guy, so I don’t get it. Maybe, he thought it made him look cool. IDK, regardless, a turn off. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm all for choosing the most fashion forward designer but this was such a hip hop Barney cartoony gimmicky look that I've seen before. Lame. Would have preferred Victoria but would have been happier with anyone else tbh.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I think it's hilarious that while we demand genderless models, models missing limbs and in wheelchairs, we don't want models with grey hair or wrinkles. Where's the runway parade of People Who Look Like ME, Elaine Welteroth?- where are the 60ish, short, arthritic models who look like meeeeee?

All that and I’m five two ....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Lemons said:

Anya was a one trick pony but at least it was a pretty look that women would buy and look good in. I don’t see people on the subway knocking each other over with their puffer coats anytime soon.  

I am trying to imagine the guy in the huge black puffer jacket on a New York subway, standing up, hanging onto the strap. I'm not sure he could fit through the door. Getting through the turnstile would be a challenge.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I meant to mention this too.  Horribly unflattering, and looked a little too 'try hard'.  It missed.

Karlie’s dress was awful. Completely unflattering.

Now that I have watched the final runway...meh. Everyone showed something interesting but there was not an entire collection that wowed me. Nothing was truly fresh or original.

Victoria had some lovely pieces, especially the last white gown, but there was way too much tan in her collection. I admire Nancy but there was something lacking overall. Sergio creates impeccably designed gowns but the fringe pushed some of those designs into caricatures. Geoffrey...I’m not convinced of the appeal of his collection. It was too dark and heavy-looking.

Geoffrey seems like a good guy but he is exhausting to watch. Hopefully his success here will provide him with confidence.

In retrospect, this was a disappointing season. No single designer stood out. The challenges seemed gimmicky. Frankly, the judges need another shake-up. We are stuck with Karlie but Nina can go. I’m not crazy about Elaine because I think that she is wildly inconsistent. I’m neutral on Brandon. The bright spot is Christian as mentor because I think he is able to relate to the designers in a way that Tim never could.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

In retrospect, this was a disappointing season. No single designer stood out. The challenges seemed gimmicky. Frankly, the judges need another shake-up. We are stuck with Karlie but Nina can go. I’m not wild about Elaine because I think that she is wildly inconsistent. I’m neutral on Brandon. The bright spot is Christian as mentor because I think he is able to relate to the designers in a way that Tim never could.

I generally agree with you but I generally liked this season.  Yes, I wondered why Victoria kept staying, why Sergio wasn't getting the auf, etc.  I think the ending to the season was great.  A prior poster commented on Sergio having the most cause celebre works and yet Nancy was the one most embracing body diversity.  I loved this.  I see a bright future for Nancy and her thoughtful designs for challenged athletes.

Sergio makes beautiful clothes, no question, but the judges wanted him to make them fresher. I understand his wish to stand behind his clothes and he ended where he should have because he stood by them.  Same with Victoria.  Numerous examples, no need to quote.  I'm sure there is a normal tension between "your baby" and the critiques from the judges.  Take them or leave them and take your chances.

Late thought?  Nancy designing all of the Oympic paralympic entrance and exit parade looks?  I would love it.  She seemed so honored. and touched.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AUJulia said:

The look on Thijin gave the appearance of a very long droopy deflated right boob. And all the hanging bits on all the looks just struck me as likely to knot up and wreck a washing machine. But that assumes someone will wear those clothes. 

Yes!  I kept trying to get a better look at that thing drooping down, and it sure looked as if it came off the right boob. I was wondering what Heidi would have said. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's New Look Dior with Marchesa with a little bit of Reem Acra thrown in and some tacky fringe tossed on top. It's rich lady in her 50s and 60s drag. His client is time traveling Babe Paley and Brooke Astor. And yet, those women wore casual clothes on occasion and Sergio is allergic to ready to wear. I'm in my 40s and I could never see myself wearing his stuff. Plus the front half of the collection was dated.

And yet when that fabric was created for Armani, he was able to design some tailored suits with it. Her problem is that she used a fabric that a well known master was able to use with superior skill. Much like Sergio's backwards tuxedo, Nancy was going to pale in comparison unless she managed to fully surpass Armani. She did not. I believe Mugler did a collection with that fabric. Mugler is known for tailored pieces so the judges knew that the fabric could be shaped and seamed. I think Armani's was the best use because he was able to play with volume and structure while still looking tailored and liquid.

I'm in my 40s. I don't think they were pandering by giving Geoffrey the win. He would have been my choice too. And not because of his anxiety, nerves, or because that was wearing thin. I think it was the better more innovative collection.

Babe Paley. Nailed it. Sergio would probably sew bells into the hems and call it original.

Love that Armani collection. THAT'S how to use that fabric.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/13/2020 at 11:52 AM, sempervivum said:

I think it's hilarious that while we demand genderless models, models missing limbs and in wheelchairs, we don't want models with grey hair or wrinkles. Where's the runway parade of People Who Look Like ME, Elaine Welteroth?- where are the 60ish, short, arthritic models who look like meeeeee?

We've seen models with vitiligo, but where are the models with acne or recovered from 3rd degree burns, HUH? I could continue Harrison Bergeron-ing it up here, but all this stuff carried to it's mad, logical conclusion ends up in fashion nihilism.

I'm laughing but I get you. I'm super-jazzed by the uptick in visibly disabled models but I snort whenever the judges gush how a cinched-waist, Dynasty-shoulder-padded, cut-out-riddled outfit is "for everyone." Uh, no. "Fashion" does not celebrate this 4'11" post-menopausal, wheelchair-using, apple-shaped silhouette I lovingly describe as "Burgundian magistrate." Maybe someday. But the notion of what's beautiful or even pleasingly avant-garde will never be "for everyone" at the same time. I don't see how it could.

Also: Geoffrey's Violet Beauregard/tick coat made me realize the clothes are allowed to be be a lot uglier than the models.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

Karlie's skirt made me think that's what I would have made when I realized I couldn't sew a waist band so just turned the whole thing inside to hide it.  

YES! That is exactly what it looked like! It needed to be tighter at the top.

• Love 3

I really liked the final 4 and the finale.  I rarely watch finale's more than once but I've seen this one a few times.   In the end, I think I agree with Jeffrey as the winner but Sergio is a very close 2nd.  He did need to make things a bit more fresh and I think his message was confusing given the cowboy fringe.  Victoria's work was gorgeous - just not interesting.  Nancy's work was interesting, but it seemed too much about the inclusion message than the fashion.

I really liked the journey these four were on.  Each had some growing to do with regards to how they approach their work, and themselves, and each rose to the occassion.

Sergio - learned how poorly he came off and self-corrected and finally saw the light about 1) accepting and considering critiques and 2) realizing he needed to make things more modern and fresh.

Victoria - learned some modesty and that she really could do this thing.

Geoffrey - learned confidence and seemed to finally realize that less is more.

Nancy - Nancy found her home and her voice.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 8

I’m pretty sure at some point, someone, the judges, the stylist? advised Victoria to not use so many accessories but she didn’t listen and it brought her collection down. I hated her color choices, and those hats. 

I wasn’t sure who would win and didn’t really love any of the collections enough to root for any one of them in particular but I’m fine with the Geoffrey win because his was the most interesting to me, and futuristic cool. I kind of thought he’d get the win with that ‘Billie Eilish take on fashion’ comment.

i also thought maybe some of the producers or Christian stole those face studs (purposely) that Geoffrey was going to use, so as to avoid him sabotaging himself. I felt bad with the critical comment from his mother too at the show, and I felt for him when he said to his dad, ‘I hope I made you proud,’ because trying your damnedest to please your parents was something I could really relate to.

I love Sebastian so I was mad how they captioned him sitting with another designer (Tessa) at the show as ‘season 17 designers’ instead of singling him out as the winner of the last season. 

Edited by Kdel1079
  • Love 9

Too funny (and as usual, entertaining). First of all, I really enjoyed/ even loved all four designers' efforts. Only saw a couple of outfits where I thought, mweh. As for any future career as a stylist, for me? Not a flippin' chance! It never fails, I clearly have no sense of style because the winner always ends up being the stylist who is on the bottom of my list. I usually can't stand the winner's clothing vision. I have predicted the winner only 4 years. From now on, I shall predict the loser, who will go on to become the winner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Kdel1079 said:

I’m pretty sure at some point, someone, the judges, the stylist? advised Victoria to not use so many accessories but she didn’t listen and it brought her collection down.

I really, really disliked her insistence on name placement for her garments, especially given she's a 'nobody'. Who would want to wear something/a name, that would have to be explained over and over to anyone caring enough to ask? The silhouette was nice, the finish was regretful. Narcissism combined with delusion.

• Love 7

I haven’t read any of your comments yet.  Just finished watching the show.

Geoffrey is a nervous wreck who needs to get a grip BUT he also seems to be a great and likable guy. For that reason alone, I’m happy he won.   I completely hated his collection...especially those oversized jackets.  They reminded me of giant sized beetles.  Ick.

I hated Victoria’s crocheted baseball caps.

LOVE Christian but otherwise I’d give the season a C+

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Jextella said:

In the end, I think I agree with Jeffrey as the winner but Sergio is a very close 2nd.  He did need to make things a bit more fresh and I think his message was confusing given the cowboy fringe. 

Great post, and spot on summation of each designer's journey. The only thing I can equate with Sergio's fringes are icicles? Perhaps in his mind, lots of icicles during the climate change... Ah, I don't understand, but I at least want to give him a gold star for best improvement re: arrogant behaviour.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Geoffrey exhausts me.  I think he creates drama around himself as he repeatedly told us about the chasm between himself and his father yet his father sounded nothing but proud when Geoffrey called him about his win.  Geoffrey also lamented that he would have to get a regular job (oh the horror as so many of us get "jobs" in order to live) if he didn't win, yet he also told us that he worked on a Disney project during the hiatus (thus he is a working designer).  Everything seemed like a crisis for him, so it really wasn't enjoyable for me throughout the season to be drawn into his angst.

Agree!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I'm laughing ... Geoffrey's Violet Beauregard/tick coat made me realize the clothes are allowed to be be a lot uglier than the models.

I wanted to click the following responses for your entire post (too long to post again): I would click: the heart - for writing a great post. The lightbulb for bringing a new thought to my attention. The laugh because your whole darn post was funny. Sorry, settled on a laugh...

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 2

this season was ... weird! Surprising for sure, but not always in a good way. I ended up liking Victoria's collection more, even though she was quite annoying during the season. I really HATED Sergio's collection, not modern at all, and had a strange country vibe. Nancy: Oh my god, the fabrics, amazing! Geoffrey: He is cute, and the collection was fun, but not "pretty" in a comum way. I'm not happy or sad about the winner, I really dont give a damm about this season.

3 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

All that and I’m five two ....

Well, forget it! Stats Queen, we HAVE to draw the line somewhere, and well... height it is! (Okay, only joking) Thanks for your amusing response.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, Straycat80 said:

Who knew that giant puffer jackets and flappy sleeve looking things hanging all over the place would be winning looks. 

Especially given puffy jackets have been in style for just over a year. I really thought the judges were going to call him on copying the look, much like they did with Sergio "I have never heard of Galliano". Ah well. In the end (and for a change) I was fine with all 4 of them making the finale. Well, Victoria received far too many chances, but...

• Love 5