Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Didn't they say it was called something like the Duggar Ugly Christmas Sweater & other attire contest?  

I thought Jim Bob explained they could wear other tacky outfits besides the Christmas sweaters if they wanted to.

Maybe I'm dreaming up this part.

2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Didn't they say it was called something like the Duggar Ugly Christmas Sweater & other attire contest?  

I thought Jim Bob explained they could wear other tacky outfits besides the Christmas sweaters if they wanted to.

I believe it turned into that after the first year.

5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Ugly Christmas sweaters tend to be huge. And I expect they must have felt that they wanted to -- for fun's sake -- and needed to -- for TeeVee's sake -- look different every year? But if you bought everybody another ugly Christmas sweater every year your home would soon fill up with them....

And if you just traded them around from person to person each year, then the party would look the same every year, just with different heads sticking out of the same sweaters. ..... And that wouldn't be all that much fun, seems to me.....

.I think going with "wacky or semi-wacky Christmas wear" instead was a good idea........Spurge sort of looks like a combo of Dickensian Christmas and Little Lord Fauntleroy Christmas. Nice change of pace from an ugly sweater, I think. As Jana's outfit is, to me anyway. 

• Love 2
On 8/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

My daughter got her ears pierced when she turned 9 (for her birthday). and we did hers at Claire's. I got a second piercing in my ears at the same time. No problem at all for either of us. I think it's more about the upkeep than where you actually get a needle stuck through your earlobe. Unless you go somewhere truly filthy, I don't see that there's any reason the procedure itself would result in infection. Of course, I may be wrong, so someone is welcome to explain the differences to me. It just seems that as long as you keep it clean as it heals after the fact, it should be a fairly safe thing regardless of whether a doctor or a store which does them probably daily and would no doubt have been shut down if there was any history of things going wrong actually does the deed.

Places like Claire's use a piercing gun, which are absutely impossible to sterilize adequately between customers. A qualified piercing shop will autoclave instruments it reuses (the way surgical instruments are) and open new, sterile equipment in front of you for single use products. 

The "care" instructions Claire's give out are similarly dangerous and dismal. The last thing you should be putting on healing tissue is rubbing alcohol (or peroxide). It's the easiest way to lose a new piercing. 

If you wouldn't get a tattoo or hell even a flu shot from a teenager at the mall with equipment they can't clean thoroughly, please don't get a piercing there. Crappy consequence is localized infection. Serious consequences are MRSA, various kinds of hepatitis, and whatver said teenager has on his/her hands. 

Did Anna pierce her daughters' ears? Any of the other Duggars? I don't recall it.. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Someone needs to wear this gem in December.

I can't speak to how Claire's does ear piercing, even though that's where I had mine done in 4th grade, but I worked at Piercing Pagoda in college.  At the time, the gun was sterilized after each use, and we were subjected to health department visits, unannounced at any time.  Regardless if you go to a store in the mall or a tattoo/piercing parlor, that's not necessarily going to stop someone from using alcohol on a new piercing.  I would venture to say that if you're going to get an infection, self-care, or lack thereof, is more than likely the culprit.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
45 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Someone needs to wear this gem in December.

I can't speak to how Claire's does ear piercing, even though that's where I had mine done in 4th grade, but I worked at Piercing Pagoda in college.  At the time, the gun was sterilized after each use, and we were subjected to health department visits, unannounced at any time.  Regardless if you go to a store in the mall or a tattoo/piercing parlor, that's not necessarily going to stop someone from using alcohol on a new piercing.  I would venture to say that if you're going to get an infection, self-care, or lack thereof, is more than likely the culprit.  

Oh bummer. It’s out of stock 😄

• LOL 3
On 8/26/2020 at 9:42 AM, not you again said:

It took me a minute to realize that's Jana and not Abbie in the photo.  I'm scandalized that non-same-sex siblings were allowed to be that close to each other!  🙄

'Don't worry, it's his (twin) sister!'

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

And they were naked together before birth.  Luckily, separate sacs, otherwise who knows what sins could have prevailed.

LOL. You full of sassy fire today. Keep 'em coming.

• LOL 6

I don't know if i'll ever not be mystified that Jana is still single (only because of their world; not IRL where a single 30 year old would be normal). I really think she's the Duggar daughter that's going to age the best. She's more classically pretty than any of the rest of them. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Tasya said:

I don't know if i'll ever not be mystified that Jana is still single (only because of their world; not IRL where a single 30 year old would be normal). I really think she's the Duggar daughter that's going to age the best. She's more classically pretty than any of the rest of them. 

Back in the olden days when I was a little girl, my grandma would take me places on the bus.  She would always point out the "maiden ladies" (no clue how or if she really knew) and say they had beautiful skin and hands because they didn't have to take care of anyone.  The idea of maiden ladies now is quite funny, but, we know a lot of "maiden ladies" have to take care of themselves so maybe what she meant was the idea of a husband and all that entails. Jana is a "maiden lady" right now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Tasya said:

Except Jana wouldn't have smooth hands or beautiful skin because of not having anyone to take care of. She's been running that household for more than 1/2 her life at this point. 

Yes of course. I think my grandma was implying it was being married - and dealing with a husband. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Chicklet said:

She would be much cuter without that rag on her head. Stop trying to be like the Duggars, Abby.

I'm thinking that is a less than stellar photo no matter the accessories. She's a very cute baby, so a few more frames of whatever would probably have yielded an appealing photo whether or not the ribbons, bows or headbands (can't even remember which of those in particular was to blame here) were on point.

• Love 5
On 8/6/2020 at 6:58 PM, JoanArc said:

Admittedly, showing off your sexuality while trying to pilot a boat going 30 mph is such a Duggar thing to do. 

Without having seen this image, the description has me thinking of the Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson “family video” where Tommy is supposedly piloting a boat with a certain appendage.

• LOL 9
On 9/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, Chicklet said:

She would be much cuter without that rag on her head. Stop trying to be like the Duggars, Abby.

I fear that being connected to the Duggars may have the effect of making all of these people feel very very important. And thus more likely to keep emulating them. To get those sweet sweet hits of TeeVee appearances and tens of thousands of utterly meaningless but addictive-as-hell social-media "likes." 

Damn you, TLC. 👿

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, zenme said:

Without having seen this image, the description has me thinking of the Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson “family video” where Tommy is supposedly piloting a boat with a certain appendage.

I can see JD thinking he's hot shit because he's with Baywatch *badge flash*.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I can see JD thinking he's hot shit because he's with Baywatch *badge flash*.

He could join the Bates boys in some of their "definition of unearned arrogance" photo-ops-with-badges. Except he's probably a little too homely for them to let him in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
56 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Do babies who don’t walk need shoes???

Nope, but lots of moms seem to like to see their babies in shoes.  Go to Target or Walmart and you'll be surprised how much baby footwear they have.  It seems those little brown faux leather booties are particularly popular amongst the fundies.  This is one of the best deployments of them that I've seen.

• Love 7

to be fair we routinely bash the duggar kids for their children not wearing shoes or any proper footwear. Grace doesn't walk but there is no harm in her wearing boots

I hound my son and DIL relentlessly on proper sized and weather appropriate footwear for the grands.they have money but buy "cute shoes" even if they a 5 sizes too big

we buy each grand winter gear every year because the parents just don't get it. they would never have proper sized boots, snow pants, gloves because they would endlessly have girls match, boys match whether it fits or not

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

to be fair we routinely bash the duggar kids for their children not wearing shoes or any proper footwear. Grace doesn't walk but there is no harm in her wearing boots

I hound my son and DIL relentlessly on proper sized and weather appropriate footwear for the grands.they have money but buy "cute shoes" even if they a 5 sizes too big

we buy each grand winter gear every year because the parents just don't get it. they would never have proper sized boots, snow pants, gloves because they would endlessly have girls match, boys match whether it fits or not

I am right there with you...I buy my grandkids shoes...2 things you DO NOT skimp on are shoes for your feet and dental hygiene....my mom was the biggest tightwad ever but we always had good shoes and none of us kids had foot problems...my daughter would buy heaven knows what...I am like you I also make sure they have nice coats and jackets...I take care of all wounds too....sheesh...

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

I am right there with you...I buy my grandkids shoes...2 things you DO NOT skimp on are shoes for your feet and dental hygiene....my mom was the biggest tightwad ever but we always had good shoes and none of us kids had foot problems...my daughter would buy heaven knows what...I am like you I also make sure they have nice coats and jackets...I take care of all wounds too....sheesh...

totally agree - grands other grandma is a dental assistant so she gets to be the voice on that one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Do babies who don’t walk need shoes???

Considering she's up on pumpkin with one of her feet touching the ground (outside), I say yes. It looks like that's black mulch. Mulch, in my experience, is painful on bare feet. It could give her splinters.   Also a lot of people put shoes on babies during the colder months and in cold climate to keep their feet warm. 

• Love 10

FWIW It's been kind of chilly around here for the season this weekend. The lows one morning were in the 30s. I'm one of those people who is pretty hot-natured, but even I was casting around for a sweater.

As discussed earlier, I don't wear shoes around the house usually, but I wouldn't have been running around barefoot outside, and I definitely wouldn't have had a kid out without shoes the past couple of days. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Shoes and babies! I think firstborn babies are more likely to be seen with shoes on at an early age (unless you're Anna's kid). By the second one, many parents realize they're unnecessary and get tired of picking the random fallen shoe up off the ground. Looking at the way Gracie is dressed, I'm doubting the boots were for warmth, but she does look adorable. 

• Love 2

I love those little white shoes that used to be babies' first shoes.  I have mine from the 50's, and I saved my daughters' from the 80's.  Old-fashioned or not, they're cute.  

Gracie has a unique look, and that's a cute picture of her.  I hope they stop the baby train sooner than later (but of course I wish that for all of these folks.)  I'm of the opinion that God gives us free will and the ability to decide what's best for us regarding number of kids.

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

At least one of the Bates' daughters has posted pictures of her baby in the same sort of boot.  It's a fundy trend, I guess.

Those boots look like ones available at Old Navy

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=614108012&cid=37246&pcid=37246&vid=1&nav=meganav%3ABaby%3AShop Baby Girls Categories%3AShoes&grid=pds_0_41_1&cpos=0&cexp=1504&kcid=CategoryIDs%3D37246&cvar=11299&ctype=Listing&cpid=res20100807662077116156964#pdp-page-content

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They're made of plastic with a synthetic lining; I expect they are pretty sweaty and stinky after a while.

• Love 3