Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, louannems said:

Hilary Spiver responded to John's birthday post, of course.  She must be glued to reading the Duggars' SM posts all day.

I am sure she is!!  

2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

e0n7q6oa60b61.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg

“The utmost love care”. Geez, every single thing these fundies post is full of typos!  

• LOL 8
19 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Shouldn’t tHat say “whom?”

Yes, but as much as I like to drop "whom" in a sentence, I do give people a pass on not using it because there's a bit of a debate about whether it's necessary or overly mannered/show-offy to use it. I sat through a surprising number of debates about this for my M.A. in English. I'm an overly mannered show-off, so I emerged from the experience still attached to whom but willing to humor the non-whomers. 🙂 (On either my phone or my laptop, I have a pretty good cartoon about who versus whom, but I can't find it.)

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

9C881DC4-E67D-4525-90D4-B3E9D5D9D852.jpeg

A98DDA17-F5E4-4878-9DFA-BD56DF59C4BC.jpeg

EFDC9601-60CC-4C07-8FA8-3A02E7FE73EC.jpeg

F2DEECB2-DE3A-40A4-BBC5-F06467408348.jpeg

"These people are having a bidet today." 

While making up random words happens to be a pet peeve of mine, is it SO HARD to write the word "birthday" instead of "b'day"? Grrrrrrr!!!!

#HighSchoolEnglishTeacherLife

As someone who has a fraternal twin brother, I already resent having to share a birthday, which is why I'm probably overly sensitive about spelling out entire words. It's only three additional characters on a keyboard!

PS: We know the Duggar genes are not a sweet and previous blessing in many ways, but John David has some seriously deep set wrinkles around his eyes! Yikes! Jill has them too, but since she makes a habit out of squinting in the sun for photos, it's kind of expected from her. I just applied a second layer of eye cream in their honor.

Edited by Bridget
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Yes, but as much as I like to drop "whom" in a sentence, I do give people a pass on not using it because there's a bit of a debate about whether it's necessary or overly mannered/show-offy to use it. I sat through a surprising number of debates about this for my M.A. in English. I'm an overly mannered show-off, so I emerged from the experience still attached to whom but willing to humor the non-whomers. 🙂 (On either my phone or my laptop, I have a pretty good cartoon about who versus whom, but I can't find it.)

I was an English major (long ago), so “whom” is the only choice that sounds correct to me.

• Love 4
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I was an English major (long ago), so “whom” is the only choice that sounds correct to me.

Yeah I think the debate is pretty new. The yammering I heard in grad school (5-7 years ago) was the first time I heard the anti-whom contingent. Someone blurted out during a class with a grammar stickler that they thought whom was stupid, and it sort of descended into AA-esque confessions ("I've never liked whom either!") and verbal nerd brawls defending the integrity of whom. Kind of a wild day in class. 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

To be back on topic, has there even been a sighting of a correctly used whom in the Duggar universe? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
Just now, Zella said:

Yeah I think the debate is pretty new. The yammering I heard in grad school (5-7 years ago) was the first time I heard the anti-whom contingent. Someone blurted out during a class with a grammar stickler that they thought whom was stupid, and it sort of descended into AA-esque confessions ("I've never liked whom either!") and verbal nerd brawls defending the integrity of whom. Kind of a wild day in class. 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

To be back on topic, has there even been a sighting of a correctly used whom in the Duggar universe? 

I doubt it! The word I HATE is “empathetic.” A trait none of the Duggars understand.

• Love 6

Moderator Announcement:

Posts in this thread should focus on John & Abbie (and their family); if you wish to discuss travel (or lack their of) related to the pandemic, and your post barely references John & Abbie or does not mention them at all-please take your post to Small Talk. 

Several posts were removed for being off topic and/or potentially leading to a discussion that violates the Politics Policy  .

This is not a warning just a reminder of the rules. 

• Love 1

Abbie is adorable and JD's smile actually reaches his eyes, which is unusual for a Duggar male.

What was JD's personality like in the early days?  Back when I used to watch, the boys all blended into one mishmash of blandness and I could never tell them apart.  All I remember is that Josiah had some sass, which was subsequently removed.  I barely registered JD.  He seems like one of the nicer, more grounded Duggars but I could be way off.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Abbie is adorable and JD's smile actually reaches his eyes, which is unusual for a Duggar male.

What was JD's personality like in the early days?  Back when I used to watch, the boys all blended into one mishmash of blandness and I could never tell them apart.  All I remember is that Josiah had some sass, which was subsequently removed.  I barely registered JD.  He seems like one of the nicer, more grounded Duggars but I could be way off.

He was generally a silent, shuffling lump.   There were frequent references made to Slingblade by observers.   

I personally never suspected he had all these smiles and romantic gestures in him.

• Love 21

JD was the true 'spare to the heir' in the beginning. JD was a tad shy and was overshadowed by Josh, but he usually had a few one liners that he'd throw out. JD kind of blossomed after Josh was shut down for good after the Ashley Madison scandal.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

They look happy. Goodness I havent had bubble tea in FOREVER. That's the second thing I noticed (after their smiles)- OOOO BUBBLE TEA! They were probably just as excited about drinking it as I am looking at their photo.

Abby looks really good, seems motherhood agrees with her. There is true joy in her face. I think JD and Abby are a good match and will probably have a happy marriage by non-gothard standards, I feel this way about Joe and Kendra as well, they are well suited.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Monkeyrocks said:

I feel like JD and Abbie could got the Jill/Derrick route and limit their family. 1) JD is old enough to remember the early years of poverty and laundry room breakdowns and so on. I don’t think he wants that again. 2) I always got the impression he and Jana were close, and I think he probably somehow “gets” on some level what Jana went through having to essentially raise half the damn family and doesn’t want that for Abbie, since he seems to actually care about his wife as more than a brood mare.

I may be very wrong, but, I could see them having 3 kids with two-three years between each and that’s it, with very little fan fare around it. I also think they’re one of the few couples that might have the skills and work ethic to support themselves, if necessary, as long as they keep the number of kids low. 

I think it will come down to what Abby wants. I could see them having 5-6 kids, assuming Abby wants to do that and doesn’t face medical complications or difficult pregnancies. If she continues to have hyperemesis gravidarum, she may not wish to have many pregnancies. But I don’t think JD would pressure her either way. Given the age Abby was when they married and the looks of their child spacing, even if she has kids until her early 40s, 12 or more kids isn’t in the cards without some multiple births in there. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I get the sense Abbie is pregnant. The photos they've been dropping seem to carefully obsecure her middle. I could be wrong of course. This is speculation. 

I bet you're right.  JD must have a food baby they're hiding too.  There is a picture of him from the Claritin wedding where he looks very big.  

• Love 7

Didn't Abbie have hyperemesis gravidarum? I wonder if that will factor into their family size. 

Looking back it seems Kelly Bates, JillR and Michelle had mostly uneventful pregnancies, but this generation is running into more difficulties. Michaela, Erin, Alyssa, Carlin, Jill, Jessa and Joy all dealt with one or more difficulties with health and pregnancies. 

So far, Anna, Kendra and Tori Bates are the new Kelly and Michelle.

Or maybe Abbie just hasn't gotten pregnant yet. With this crowd, who knows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Didn't Abbie have hyperemesis gravidarum? I wonder if that will factor into their family size. 

Looking back it seems Kelly Bates, JillR and Michelle had mostly uneventful pregnancies, but this generation is running into more difficulties. Michaela, Erin, Alyssa, Carlin, Jill, Jessa and Joy all dealt with one or more difficulties with health and pregnancies. 

So far, Anna, Kendra and Tori Bates are the new Kelly and Michelle.

Or maybe Abbie just hasn't gotten pregnant yet. With this crowd, who knows.

It's possible she isn't pregnant again.  She might not have hyperemesis gravidarum with pregnancy though. Also women with hyperemesis gravidarum can sometimes loose weight and show later. 

I hadn't seen the picture Ginger90 posted. She doesn't look pregnant...

• Love 2

Oh Abbie, I expected better from you. 

Also, those sonic face cleaning brushes are nothing new and frankly out of favor. The manufacturing of the original one, Clarisonic, actually discontinued them last year (or the year before). Very late to the tiny bandwagon.

• Love 20
30 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Also, those sonic face cleaning brushes are nothing new and frankly out of favor. The manufacturing of the original one, Clarisonic, actually discontinued them last year (or the year before). Very late to the tiny bandwagon.

Not exactly a sign they're looking at bright, wide horizons in front of them.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Lol, my first thought was, "People are still using those?!." The company likely has a warehouse of brushes collecting dust, and are desperate to get rid of their stock. Fundies are always two years behind the curve when it comes to trends, so maybe a few of Abbie's followers will bite.

• Love 14

I'm surprised at Abbie too. She didn't strike me as the sort to do this. Part of me wonders if there is pressure from JB to "keep the Duggar brand out there"? We have seen some of the others do it every so often but not consistently. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm surprised at Abbie too. She didn't strike me as the sort to do this. Part of me wonders if there is pressure from JB to "keep the Duggar brand out there"? We have seen some of the others do it every so often but not consistently. 

Maybe she misses working and this is all they will allow her to do.