Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 4/25/2018 at 4:32 PM, Lunera said:

Omg! Why does he look like baby Voldemort? I'm going to hell.

I'm going to be right next to you - I took one look and thought "Uncle Fester"

I know babies lose some weight but that head and those legs - he seems a little on the small (dare I say scrawny) side.  Treading carefully here because it's not the kids fault and they're all different, his weight and size may be perfectly normal for him but he does look petite.

• Love 6

Genetics maybe? Ten pounds is a lot, but hardly the size of two non premature babies ime.

Also too soon to tell about Gideon, but his cousin Israel was a big baby and he has stayed consistently big for his age and will probably be pretty tall as an adult. Some big babies become smaller or not as large for their age after they're born.  A friend had that happen. She had a nine pound baby, and then like at a year old the doctors were worried her daughter was a little small for her age. My friend didn't gain that much weight either, so hard to tell (the mother kept track of her weightgain during pregnancy and tried to stay really fit.) The daughter is healthy. In some ways it wasn't a surprise, because a lot of the women in that family are on the shorter and smaller side for adult women. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

Genetics maybe? Ten pounds is a lot, but hardly the size of two non premature babies ime.

Also too soon to tell about Gideon, but his cousin Israel was a big baby and he has stayed consistently big for his age and will probably be pretty tall as an adult. Some big babies become smaller or not as large for their age after they're born.  A friend had that happen. She had a nine pound baby, and then like at a year old the doctors were worried her daughter was a little small for her age. My friend didn't gain that much weight either, so hard to tell (the mother kept track of her weightgain during pregnancy and tried to stay really fit.) The daughter is healthy. In some ways it wasn't a surprise, because a lot of the women in that family are on the shorter and smaller side for adult women. 

I have read -- and there are people on this board with more experience who may know better -- that the human uterus is capable of holding up to 13 pounds of baby/babies. One thirteen pound baby (my grandmother had one!), or two 6 1/2 pound babies, or three 4 pound babies, etc. That would made Gideon the size of 5 pound twins -- which would be about the normal size for twins.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I have read -- and there are people on this board with more experience who may know better -- that the human uterus is capable of holding up to 13 pounds of baby/babies. One thirteen pound baby (my grandmother had one!), or two 6 1/2 pound babies, or three 4 pound babies, etc. That would made Gideon the size of 5 pound twins -- which would be about the normal size for twins.

Must depend on the uterus. My father weighed 16 pounds at birth documented in a well baby clinic my other grandmother attended when my uncle was born.  Small town. Father born May 18 and uncle born June 3. Grandmother said women at clinic all said "poor Mrs F having such a big baby".  Giddy looks a little scrawny in the picture though. But happy at least for now 

• Love 4

Gideon looks long in the torso.  I wouldn’t  be surprised if he was wearing a 3-6mo onesie to clasp neatly at the bottom over the diaper.  One of my daughters had that problem and as a result looks way too small in any early photos because she’s wearing a size up. 

• Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

At least he doesn't look like (yet another) Duggar clone?

I don't know...with those simian-esque nostrils, he may hope to look like Duggar clone one day.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

He’s a little odd looking.  The other pictures did him no favors either.

He’s all torso with skinny arms and legs.

One of my nephews is built just like his father, shorter arms and legs and a SUPER long torso. He was also a toe walker from about his first steps. My mom used to sing him a song, "skinny little arms, skinny little legs, and he walks like a cricket" when he was a toddler. He's going to be 20 next week and is built like a gorilla. His younger brother has been a giant basically since birth. He was only 8 pounds at birth, but even by a month old, I could tell he was going to be bigger than his older brothers. He's going to be 16 this summer and is much bigger than the other 2. He's 6"1' and about 280 (yeah, that's not good). He's got an inch on the ex cricket and a good 3 or 4 inches on his oldest brother.

Looking at Giddy, I'd predict he's going to be built just like Austin as he gets older. Giddy's not the cutest baby around, but he certainly seems happy and healthy. I do like the monthly blanket idea better than the stupid monthly onesies that you usually see. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

I don't know...with those simian-esque nostrils, he may hope to look like Duggar clone one day.

Since he already has Austin’s nostrils, hopefully he doesn’t also inherit the male Duggar hairline. That would not be a good combination. 

I do think that right now he may not be the prettiest baby, but he is cute and seems happy. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, saylubee said:

Gideon looks long in the torso.  I wouldn’t  be surprised if he was wearing a 3-6mo onesie to clasp neatly at the bottom over the diaper.  One of my daughters had that problem and as a result looks way too small in any early photos because she’s wearing a size up. 

I was thinking the same thing.  At least Joy dressed him in a proper fitting outfit (with some room to spare) vs other Duggar babies being stuffed into too tight jeans. (Looking at you Jessa) 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, floridamom said:

Wasn't this baby almost 10 pounds at birth? It's almost the weight of TWO babies. There has to be some reason that the Duggar daughters deliver huge babies.

My family produces huge babies. The neonatologist told me that some women's bodies create super-efficient placenta that feed the baby better. My girls were all born in the 38th week of pregnancy,  and they were 9 lbs 8 oz, 11 lbs, and 10 lbs 10 oz. The placentas were over 2lbs each time.

My 11 lb daughter spent a month in a NICU due to a lung disease, and she looked so out of place surrounded by tiny micropremies. Now she is 3.5 years old and only in the 20th percentile, short and skinny.

I have a cousins who had two sets of twins 18 months apart. They were all 7.5 lbs - 9 lbs each, so she was carrying over 15 lbs if baby.

Considering the size of some of her nephews at birth,  my guess is the Duggar girls are super-gestaters like my family. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Must depend on the uterus. My father weighed 16 pounds at birth documented in a well baby clinic my other grandmother attended when my uncle was born.  Small town. Father born May 18 and uncle born June 3. Grandmother said women at clinic all said "poor Mrs F having such a big baby".  Giddy looks a little scrawny in the picture though. But happy at least for now 

16lbs?  My giney just made an audible gasp.  

I see Sam in Giddyup.  This family definitely has a 'look' about them.

• Love 3
On 4/28/2018 at 11:10 AM, madpsych78 said:

Verne Troyer, but otherwise I can't unsee that now.

I typed before the coffee fully kicked in. I knew I was missing something.

*oops I really butchered his name!!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2018 at 12:04 PM, sleepysuzy said:

My family produces huge babies. The neonatologist told me that some women's bodies create super-efficient placenta that feed the baby better. My girls were all born in the 38th week of pregnancy,  and they were 9 lbs 8 oz, 11 lbs, and 10 lbs 10 oz. The placentas were over 2lbs each time.

My 11 lb daughter spent a month in a NICU due to a lung disease, and she looked so out of place surrounded by tiny micropremies. Now she is 3.5 years old and only in the 20th percentile, short and skinny.

I have a cousins who had two sets of twins 18 months apart. They were all 7.5 lbs - 9 lbs each, so she was carrying over 15 lbs if baby.

Considering the size of some of her nephews at birth,  my guess is the Duggar girls are super-gestaters like my family. 

"Super-gestaters!" I love it! I had two almost 10lb babies and my dad was an 11lb baby. I wish they had told me how much my placentas weighed.  I never even thought about that or that I may have had super-efficient placenta.  At least I'm super-efficient at something. :)

We must be related somehow, @sleepysuzy!  (Hopefully not to the Duggars, too, though.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

"Super-gestaters!" I love it! I had two almost 10lb babies and my dad was an 11lb baby. I wish they had told me how much my placentas weighed.  I never even thought about that or that I may have had super-efficient placenta.  At least I'm super-efficient at something. :)

We must be related somehow, @sleepysuzy!  (Hopefully not to the Duggars, too, though.)

Well, some of my people are Nordic, too, so who knows. If I'm related to the Duggars, it'd have to be from pre-American days. My family settled in a different hillbilly state in the 1790s, and never left. 

Does anyone know the Duggar family origins? 

• Love 2

Yes, sleepysuzy, I remember reading the Duggar/Ruark family history. It's posted 'out there' somewhere. Both Jim Bob and Michelle's ancestors came to this land in the 1600s and 1700s. They have been in the USA for eons. They are of "Great Britain"-like ancestry, English, Irish, etc.

They also have been in their part of the US near Arkansas and that region for at least 200 years. If anyone remembers who posted their ancestry, feel free to fill in the many blanks I'm leaving out....but yes, it's out there.

• Love 5
On 4/25/2018 at 5:27 PM, Heathen said:

A lot of people with college educations don't use that properly, let alone people with shit-for-brains like the Duggars.

I know a middle school language arts teacher, who has a master's degree, who uses "people that," "my dad and I, and "myself and my husband."  It actually embarrasses me for her. 

On 4/25/2018 at 5:02 PM, Sew Sumi said:

It's "your dad and ME..."

Yet another SOTDRT FAIL. 

Yes, it's amazing how many people misuse "me", "I", and "myself".  Especially ridiculous is "I myself".   Cute little boy, but that sheet on top of the wood floor must be a tad uncomfortable for him.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

=I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Gideon is super cute.  He's not stereotypical-Gerber-baby cute, but his *somewhat different* features on a happy little baby are adorable to me.  We'll see how he grows into them, but I think he's a cutie. 

He looks cute at a distance, rather in the way that rather exaggerated features translate well on stage. Maybe he has a future in the theatre! Not saying he's necessarily homely (except that I do think the nostrils are a bit unfortunate), but his face at the moment does have the look of a caricature. Come to think of it, the way features are emphasized in caricatures does often give them a baby-like quality and a certain cuteness. 

Anyway, he'll likely grow into his face just fine, but at the moment I do find his looks in the closeups just a wee bit startling...

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Gideon is super cute.  He's not stereotypical-Gerber-baby cute, but his *somewhat different* features on a happy little baby are adorable to me.  We'll see how he grows into them, but I think he's a cutie. 

He's definitely a unique looking baby, and he does seem happy :)

Austin is not bad-looking IMO, and it's nice that he resembles dad instead of his Grandpas.  

Wouldn't it be nice if the headships of all these female Duggars gave the OK for birth control?  Forget the male Duggars; I'm pretty sure they want to emulate Boob :(

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the headships of all these female Duggars gave the OK for birth control?  Forget the male Duggars; I'm pretty sure they want to emulate Boob :(

I bet the only one who was on birth control was Jinger.

• Love 6

I'm beginning to wonder if Ben and Jeremy had a discussion after Ben and Jessa conceived Henry so fast after Spurge.  I don't think Austen is going to be in the market for 20 either.  I'm pretty sure Jeremy has no objections at all to using some form of birth control.

• Love 8
(edited)

I do think Jeremy used some kind of birth control with Jinger that first year even if it was just diligent NFP and the occasional condom.  I didn’t get the impression she was popping BCP.

I’m not sold on Ben and Jessa using anything right now.  They have two kids that they are involved with — time for sex drops pretty heavily.  Jessa is also trying to drop weight fast and that messes with the ovulation cycle a lot.  If they are only having sex a few times a month, everything is out of whack on her side, and she’s still BFing even a little, I could easily see them just not getting pregnant yet.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Austin is not bad-looking IMO, and it's nice that he resembles dad instead of his Grandpas.  

Josh certainly doesn't (in terms of having a lot of kids).

I think most people are okay with having a larger family and then they have kids, and reality sets in. They see how much work even one child is and they're not getting any sleep and there's suddenly less money for fun things and they have to consider the kid's future...

I don't how many of the Duggar sons want to be JB, but for now they're okay sprouting the party line while the kids are hypothetical. I think once they have, for example three kids under four they might start thinking "hey we need to slooow down." 

Joy and Austin seem okay with being parents, but they've toned down the rhetoric since Gideon was born. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

In a video with Joy talking to Gideon, she mentions going to see Austin  at work, and they are going to walk there. I wonder what the job is.

Maybe he's flipping a house in the neighborhood. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, SMama said:

Or working at Fort Rock, although I don’t know how far they live from the site.

Too far to walk.  Their house is not quite halfway between the Duggars and the Forsyths.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think most people are okay with having a larger family and then they have kids, and reality sets in. They see how much work even one child is and they're not getting any sleep and there's suddenly less money for fun things and they have to consider the kid's future...

I don't how many of the Duggar sons want to JB, but for now they're okay sprouting the party line while the kids are hypothetical. I think once they have, for example three kids under four they might start thinking "hey we need to slooow down." 

Joy and Austin seem okay with being parents, but they've toned down the rhetoric since Gideon was born. 

I'm sure you are right about Joshley.  Anna seems to be bent on breeding, thus #5 after all his perversions came to light.

I do hope that the Duggar men will NOT continually knock up their wives.  Of course, in my world, birth control is a huge plus.  I have one child, by choice.  Reality and finances do figure in for a lot of us.  When I grew up in the 60's, my family was the only 2 child family on our block.  I did know of one 19 child family at the time, and I was horrified!  They were dirt-poor, and no wonder.  Not all huge families are religious and get "love offerings" or a TeeVee show to provide for them.

• Love 17
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

I also agree. Josh hasn't gone as far as to force Anna to get birth control, but she clearly and openly wants to have lots of babies, more so than Josh. It's funny because while many of that generation has spouted that they would love to have whatever the Lord gives them, Anna has been the only one who has openly vocalized how wants to have lots of babies, even after already having lots of babies. Even Jessa and Jill are not as baby-hungry as Anna.

• Love 5

I definitely think that Anna drank the Duggar koolaid early on, after all they had to pick their letter to name all the kids.  Shudders.  I think she will have kids every two years until Smugger either sneaks off and gets snipped or screws up even more and winds up in jail, or just leaves and says screw all of this.

• Love 10

I think Jill was semi baby-hungry when she first got married, but the quick arrival of Izzy brought it down a few levels since she and Deredick do not seem too interested in Izzy or Sammy. If Josh dumped Anna, she probably would want to hurry up and get married again so she could have more babies. In the case of the Duggars, it comes down to quantity and not quality.

Just now, cmr2014 said:

I think Jill wanted to be "the winner" -- and she was. She got married first, and had the first baby. She got literally everything that she ever thought she wanted in a year: husband, baby, and life as a missionary's wife. I think it was all a huge letdown for her and she's been struggling ever since.

I don't think Joy gives a crap about anything. That maybe her personality, or it may be how she survived as a middle child in that enormous brood. I don't think she ever expected much for herself, and I don't think she's as let-down as Jill when things aren't as great as she imagined they'd be.

I agree. I don't think Joy genuinely cares either way. She'll defer to Austin through and through. Although to his credit perhaps, I don't think Austin is overly passionate about any one issue either way as well.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Gideon is super cute.  He's not stereotypical-Gerber-baby cute, but his *somewhat different* features on a happy little baby are adorable to me.  We'll see how he grows into them, but I think he's a cutie. 

I think happiness adds 2-3 attractiveness points on the scale alone, personally.  For almost everybody!

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think Joy gives a crap about anything. That maybe her personality, or it may be how she survived as a middle child in that enormous brood. I don't think she ever expected much for herself, and I don't think she's as let-down as Jill when things aren't as great as she imagined they'd be.

My bet is things turned out better than she expected. Her husband seems pretty easy going, her baby is happy, and taking care of one baby and a 3 person house has got to be a lot easier than being a J-slave in the compound.

• Love 9