Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

And another question, I'm not from USA. Can really Joy and Austin homeschool their kids? Even if they have no idea what they're doing and what they're teaching them?

Yes, because they live in Arkansas.  Most states have different laws for homeschooling.  

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

So, do you think there is a chance that they will be inteligent enough to wait at least a year or two before baby no2? Due to c section and all that?

And another question, I'm not from USA. Can really Joy and Austin homeschool their kids? Even if they have no idea what they're doing and what they're teaching them?

In most states anyone can homeschool their children without needing to meet any standards whatsoever except, usually, to inform the state that they're going to do it. A few states put some modest requirements on it, but most don't.

Many in the conservative Protestant community, who have had a great deal of political power over the past three decades or so, consider it one of their greatest accomplishments to have successfully pushed for increasingly more permissive state laws that now allow most people who want to to homeschool without any standards or oversight whatsoever. 

It's a principle of parental rights. The idea that they embrace, as a matter of theology, they say, is that parents, not anyone else (including children), hold the ultimate right to make any and all decisions affecting said children. It's an argument few state lawmakers have felt they should oppose. In at least one state,, though, Virginia, only people who homeschool for religious reasons are 100 percent exempted from oversight and standards. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

Oh, poor children. 

The Duggars have instagram account, so they have Internet access. Do they read any other things online,or just put their news ... Young girl, pregnant, she had the time to google everything. 

• Love 3
On 3/13/2018 at 2:23 AM, Spencer Hastings said:

Joy: “The nearest hospital is only like 30 minutes away if there’s an emergency.”  Does she realize how long 30 minutes is when two lives are on the line?

These girls need to start seeing real medical professionals when giving birth to human beings.  Seeing Jim Bob try to calmly tell the cameras what was happening and then break into a mild sprint for his truck was very telling of how serious the situation was.  Joy definitely got some bad advice and “medical care.” I hope Jinger and Kendra take a look at the past few births and have an excellent hospital plan. 

It drives me nuts they think by throwing out the line that they'll go to a hospital in an emergency,  everything will be fine.  Like other  posters have said, things can go terribly wrong even in a 10 minute ambulance ride  The EMTs are great but I'm sure they are trained in only the basic birthing techniques.   Like we have said before, what does the hospital staff think when the Duggar gals get wheeled in without any proper prenatal records?

• Love 14

I wonder if any of the hospital staff gives them a lecture about things that could have been prevented with some of their births? Like kindly (or not ) telling them that someone properly trained could have easily noticed a breach baby and taken the proper steps?

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

It drives me nuts they think by throwing out the line that they'll go to a hospital in an emergency,  everything will be fine.  Like other  posters have said, things can go terribly wrong even in a 10 minute ambulance ride  The EMTs are great but I'm sure they are trained in only the basic birthing techniques.   Like we have said before, what does the hospital staff think when the Duggar gals get wheeled in without any proper prenatal records?

Even if the hospital were right next door, it would be a problem. Try holding your breath for the length of time it would take to get to the hospital, get through triage--because no hospital is just going to take the word of a patient that they need a c-section--get prepped for the OR, get anesthetized, and finally get the section. And all that's assuming all the appropriate staff are immediately available. Now imagine it's a baby not getting any oxygen for that length of time.

• Love 22

A friend of mine was in the hospital having what seemed to be a normal labor, and she ended up taking a wild ride on a gurney to have an emergency c-section.  Her son is twenty five now, so I don't remember the details, but something happened with the placenta and if the nurse hadn't caught the situation and call for emergency surgery, the baby would have died.  

I had closed my baby making factory a year before this, but I can tell you for 100% certain that I would have never considered a home birth after her experience.  

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

A friend of mine was in the hospital having what seemed to be a normal labor, and she ended up taking a wild ride on a gurney to have an emergency c-section.  Her son is twenty five now, so I don't remember the details, but something happened with the placenta and if the nurse hadn't caught the situation and call for emergency surgery, the baby would have died.  

I had closed my baby making factory a year before this, but I can tell you for 100% certain that I would have never considered a home birth after her experience.  

Scary! Personally I wanted to be in the hospital environment in case something should go wrong.  My husband was of the same mind, he didn't want anything to happen to me or the baby.

I just don't understand their aversion to insurance and prenatal care.  They're not poor by any means.  They have the tv money and the money they get from folks who pay to hear them "speak."  They can afford to have their own "private" plane.  What are they spending their money on?  Not their children's education since they homeschool.

• Love 16

I remember an episode, I think it was the one where they just had the couples together - Jin and Jeremy were engaged and he surprised her by showing up, that Jill starts crying and was saying, I had hoped to be pregnant again and I keep taking pregnancy tests but none of them are positive and I don't know why I'm not pregnant again already.  So it sounds like she was trying pretty hard to get pregnant super fast after Israel.  Idiot.  

• Love 7

What the hell is wrong with these idiots!! Jill was the only one there and I guess after lingering 20 hours Jill makes the decision to transfer.  20 DAMN HOURS!! 

The other observation: The gaggle of siblings hanging out in the middle of the day. GET JOBS!!!! Lazy asses.

• Love 20

If Jill didn't learn anything from her own botched experiences, does one expect her to treat her "patients" any differently? If this turns out to be a technically "unattended" birth with Jill at the helm, needlessly steering the ship to hell, I'd ban Jill from my house for any future births. Jessa and Kendra should take heed. 

• Love 19

I hope they get some serious backlash. What a bunch of fucking morons. A baby or mother will end up dying. But it’ll be God’s will, and no hospital bills. ?

Edited by SMama
  • Love 7

But we've speculated before (particularly Jessa with Spurgeon) that the midwives didn't want the publicity and that's why the family made it look like they were delivering the baby. There may have been a midwife there(Theresa?), who didn't want to appear on camera. So Jill played the part. 

• Love 8

Teresa Fedosky isn't a midwife, either. The TLC video itself implies that there was a midwife presesnt (via chyron, IIRC), but that may be to save their own asses in case something bad happened before they could get Joy to the hospital. 

• Love 5

Wow. A co-worker is in labor tonight, induced due to high blood pressure. We've all been mother-henning her the past six months and are glad the end is in sight. Safely. In a hospital. Being monitored. By medical professionals. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, SMama said:

I hope they get some serious backlash. What a bunch of fucking morons. A baby or mother will end up dying. But it’ll be God’s will, and no hospital bills. ?

Funerals aren't cheap, either.

• Love 11

Boob has plenty of acres to start his own cemetery. The control freak won’t pry that wallet open. That was dark but I’m so frustrated with their stupidity.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 12

So, Ellie edited her post to passive voice w/r/t the transfer information. She removed "Jill's decision" from that sentence after many people asked if a midwife was present. I might have also reminded her that Jill is not a licensed midwife. 

Sorry Ellie, but if Jill was there alone, it was legally an unattended homebirth attempt. I think she woke up, realized her error, and rushed to edit her post. I hope someone got screengrabs of the original. 

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sorry Ellie, but if Jill was there alone, it was legally an unattended homebirth attempt. I think she woke up, realized her error, and rushed to edit her post. I hope someone got screengrabs of the original. 

So it's your first baby, you've had no Professional prenatal care with an OB or a CPM, and as far as we can guess, no ultrasound or bloodwork.  But hey let's have our first baby with our moms here and no PROFESSIONAL care or help.  To me, that's just playing Russian Roulette only 5 of the 6 chambers have bullets.  I like the idea of a safe, Professionally run home birth, but I'm scared it's just a matter of time.

Edited by DragonFaerie
bad apostrophe choices
  • Love 20
On 13.3.2018 at 5:54 PM, Normades said:

Wait, do you actually believe Jill was able to correctly put her name on a test???

Is that true?  Didn't Jill try to have a home birth after a c-section with Sam?  I'm with you, though.  I definitely hope Joy and all others coming after her get real, certified medical care and go to a hospital.  Sorry, I'm old now and I don't advocate home births.  I think it's an unnecessary risk.  We're lucky to have good facilities.  Let's use them!! 

Going by that head band she wore after Izzy's birth , the one with her name on it , I doubt it .  

A hospital almost killed my nephew  a few years ago . They used too much anesthetics for the epidural and stalled labour with it and  then tried to get my sister in law to birth this kid for way too long before it ended in an emergency c section, a smurf baby and 2 weeks in the NICU because the kid couldn't keep his glucose levels up. 

• Love 3

I tend to think there was another midwife who didn't want to appear on camera.  It makes sense.  What midwife would want the world to know it took her 20 hours to realize the baby was breech? 

Hospitals are probably better imo, as they are better equipped when things go wrong. Also many people tend to live farther away which means more travel time there if things go wrong. There's always traffic near the hospitals near me. 

Edited by Temperance
mssing word: want
  • Love 10

As another poster mentioned, Jill should be ringing up her midwife friends, looking through her midwife books and searching the internet for determining a baby's position in the womb. We know this is at least breech baby #2 and maybe #3 if Sam was breech. And it would be really responsible to determine position prior to labor.

These days most people research how to use an Instant Pot or change the oil in their car before using or doing either.  I mean didn't the Duggar girls look online to figure out how to make mashed potatoes?

If they're are going to keep attempting home births they need to get proper prenatal care.

• Love 16
11 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jill was told after her C-section by her attending physician in the hospital that she should wait a full 2 years before conceiving again. She didn't do that.

Why was she told this? Any clue?

I had a c- section and I wasn't given any instructions on my family planning, besides at my 6 week check up if I was interested in the mini pill. I have many friends that had c-sections and didn't wait 2 years to conceive  more and had 3 or 4 more children with c-section deliveries...in hospitals...with good prenatal care. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Interesting. Ellie makes no mention of a midwife in her summary, noting that JILL decided to do the hospital transfer. If this is true, then the Duggars are even more stupid than previously thought. 

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2018/03/joys-c-section-delivery.html

Well, they certainly do nothing to get any smarter. They don't look for information or opinions even a millimeter outside their tiny bubble of ignorance. Plus, they're all completely smug about their personal and family wisdom and competence. And they keep dodging bullets. Seems like they will just keep getting dumber.

6 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

So it's your first baby, you've had no Professional prenatal care with an OB or a CPM, and as far as we can guess, no ultrasound or bloodwork.  But hey let's have our first baby with our moms here and no PROFESSIONAL care or help.  To me, that's just playing Russian Roulette only 5 of the 6 chambers have bullets.  I like the idea of a safe, Professionally run home birth, but I'm scared it's just a matter of time.

We're forgetting that their Gothardite moms are the smartest women in the universe and the most beloved by Jesus and the total second-tier umbrellas of protection for their wholly-owned children. Certainly that's enough security for anyone, right?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

As another poster mentioned, Jill should be ringing up her midwife friends, looking through her midwife books and searching the internet for determining a baby's position in the womb.

A Duggar? Looking for information outside central Duggardom? Surely you jest!

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

Why was she(Jill) told this? Any clue?

I had a c- section and I wasn't given any instructions on my family planning, besides at my 6 week check up if I was interested in the mini pill. I have many friends that had c-sections and didn't wait 2 years to conceive  more and had 3 or 4 more children with c-section deliveries...in hospitals...with good prenatal care. 

Maybe the Dr meant wait 2 years to conceive if she wants to attempt a VBAC. It would make sense to allow the body time to heal, no? I never had a c-section myself so I don't know.

• Love 8

Let's remember that Jill labored for an ungodly 70-80 hours as reported then....mostly at HOME. Izzy was another huge baby and struggled in utero for those hours. I believe Jill was more 'damaged' than the routine labor & decided C-section woman would be. I remember she was told to wait a full two years. She said to the physician to sew her up 'good'.

She did, indeed attempt a home VBAC with Sammy and look what happened to him? We still haven't heard a word about what went down with his situation...for all we know, Jill might have had a hysterectomy. Only time will tell there.

I'm also quite suspicious as to why none of the midwives attending any of the Duggar daughters agree to be on camera at all...After all, Anna's midwife was seen during her deliveries. I think the D daughters' 'professionals' are not qualified or licensed. That's why they don't want to be "seen at the scene".

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

This was my experience too. I had my 6 week check up in February after having a baby by C-section in December. I specifically asked my OB at the end of the appointment, after he didn't mention it, whether I should wait in order to get pregnant again (I may have been thinking about the Duggars and these forums). He looked at me like I was crazy and said "no, because you won't be giving birth immediately."

I know I've seen other women say that their OB gave different advice. But it seems like it's not a settled thing.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, McManda said:

Well, they have plenty of ammo boxes.  You know, buy used and save the difference!  That was so disgusting and disturbing. 

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I might have also reminded her that Jill is not a licensed midwife. 

Isn't there anything that can be done to stop Jill from presenting herself as a midwife to these young, ignorant women??  It's so dangerous!  She's really a menace!

I fear for Kendra and Jinger, although I am hopeful that Jeremy will not allow these idiots to risk his wife and child.  I had hoped the Forsyths would step in for Joy, but we all see how that worked out. 

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

A Duggar? Looking for information outside central Duggardom? Surely you jest!

I wonder if part of the not looking for information is because they are afraid of NIKE!  Also, they don't want to come across any ideas that might challenge their beliefs.  Can't have that pesky critical thinking going on!

And don't call other posters Shirley!! (sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Farmfam said:

I think because she wanted a VBAC.  I think I read that if you want to try a VBAC its recommended that you wait a little longer.  Something to do with making sure your muscles are strong enough to handle the strain of pushing during labor.

Doodlebug - your opinion?

Hubby and I are going to wait until our son  (delivered via emergency c-section) turns 1 and then try for another baby.  I'm currently on the pill.  It took me 6 months after I went off the pill to conceive my son.  So, if that happens again, my son will be at least two before the other baby arrives.  However, I'm most likely gonna go with a planned c-section the 2nd time around.

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Let's remember that Jill labored for an ungodly 70-80 hours as reported then....mostly at HOME. Izzy was another huge baby and struggled in utero for those hours. I believe Jill was more 'damaged' than the routine labor & decided C-section woman would be. I remember she was told to wait a full two years. She said to the physician to sew her up 'good'.

She did, indeed attempt a home VBAC with Sammy and look what happened to him? We still haven't heard a word about what went down with his situation...for all we know, Jill might have had a hysterectomy. Only time will tell there.

I'm also quite suspicious as to why none of the midwives attending any of the Duggar daughters agree to be on camera at all...After all, Anna's midwife was seen during her deliveries. I think the D daughters' 'professionals' are not qualified or licensed. That's why they don't want to be "seen at the scene".

I do remember JILL going to a midwife for prenatal care with Izzy.  The midwife's office or home was in this rundown, unpainted shack.  It all looked so unprofessional and even sleazy.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, louannems said:

I do remember JILL going to a midwife for prenatal care with Izzy.  The midwife's office or home was in this rundown, unpainted shack.  It all looked so unprofessional and even sleazy.

The hallmark of all things in Duggarland.

• Love 20

Ughhhhh. Pregnancy, labor, birth are all things it seems these army for Jesus girls should know everything about. Like, more than your average woman. Just like they should all know how to cook, clean, entertain, budget. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! What is it that these girls do excel in?

• Love 9
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

After all, Anna's midwife was seen during her deliveries. I think the D daughters' 'professionals' are not qualified or licensed. That's why they don't want to be "seen at the scene".

Anna didn't have a midwife for her first two deliveries.  She had Miss Theresa (Fedowsky) who was a doctor's wife doula.  She did have a state licensed (not nurse midwife) with her third.   I think there is every chance that any "midwife" present besides Jill is unlicensed if indeed there is anyone besides Jill.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, McManda said:

I am sure one of the howlers can whip together a box and they have big equipment to dig big holes.  Why, they just might call themselves funeral directors and morticians after that!  'Siah can wear a snazzy suit.

You can't save someone from their own stupidity.  If that happens we all saw it coming a mile away.  Here is a thought.  If one of the sisters/sisters in law has a baby and Jill is attending and it dies, would they sue her for failure to use her medical thingies correctly or just toss out God's will, its this season of life, we walked thru the fire, blah blah blah?  

12 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

While never having had kids, I think I would prefer a hospital birth.  Someone else gets to clean that stuff up!

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 11
26 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Boob was finally the one who puts his foot down and says "no more." All these uninsured hospital deliveries have to be costing him an absolute fortune.

Here is where all of Jim Bob's finagling to avoid taxes and maintain control over the kidults comes back to bite him.  We have all speculated that the TLC money is pooled into an LLC, but I am pretty sure that the couples get a TLC paycheque, and that means a W-2.  Depending on how much that amount is, they may not qualify for significant discounts when buying insurance through the marketplace.

I was under the impression that for all his faults, Jim Bob did have insurance for his family.  I would have thought that he would have kept all the kids on until they turned 26, because family plans don't specifiy the number of kids- it's the same price for 1 kid or 19.  At least that is how my husband's plan through his employer works.  Maybe Jim Bob's plan works differently, if he actually has one.  We kept all of our kids on our plan until they aged out. 

My oldest son is going to graduate school in Canada.  He is eligible for healthcare up there, but since he has a pre-existing condition and plans to come back to the US after graduation, we got him a plan through the marketplace.  With eligible discounts due to his low income, his premium is only $145 a month.  I am more than willing to pay that so he has continuous coverage.  I just want to make sure he will be eligible when he comes back, because who knows what Congress will do with healthcare in the future?

As far a putting his foot down, who knows?  This is the man who wasted $250,000 on a failed senate run despite having a ton of kids to feed, house, and clothe.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Unfortunately, their arrogance coupled with their ignorance is a dangerous combination. They think that God will save them from any disaster and sister Jill knows everything about birthing babies

They are playing with fire.  As you said, no blood work, ultrasounds, or cultures. Have these girls ever even had a Pap smear?  How about B Strep? STD tests?

Yes, we all know full well the girls were virgins, but, what about the guys? Jeremy admitted to having relationships before Jinger? 

Do they know their blood type? It would certainly help when they have to run to the hospital in need of transfusions. If Joy had 20 hours of active labor with a breech presentation of a 10 lb. baby, she could have suffered dire consequences, and the baby as well.

One of these days, one of them will not be so lucky. I was an RN in L&D for many years. (retired) I loved it and chose that unit because it was a place where there you usually expected a good outcome. But when there was a complication resulting in a maternal or fetal death, it was tragic. Complications can occur even in the most controlled surroundings. With Jill, a " professional" midwife, various siblings and maybe even the milkman in attendance, it is a recipe for disaster.

• Love 18
39 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

If one of the sisters/sisters in law has a baby and Jill is attending and it dies, would they sue her for failure to use her medical thingies correctly or just toss out God's will, its this season of life, we walked thru the fire, blah blah blah?  

Yes, if it happens to them it's god's will and he's testing them.  If it happens to a heathen, well, satan! 

I can't think of satan in connection with these people without thinking of satan building a fortress.  I always picture satan in a pillow fort sitting in there happily, all pleased with himself!!

• Love 12
13 hours ago, McManda said:

But they are amazing opportunities to play a suffering, public martyr to advance your pro-life views.....(and get media coverage)....

2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Ughhhhh. Pregnancy, labor, birth are all things it seems these army for Jesus girls should know everything about. Like, more than your average woman. Just like they should all know how to cook, clean, entertain, budget. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! What is it that these girls do excel in?

Grifting. 

44 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

While never having had kids, I think I would prefer a hospital birth.  Someone else gets to clean that stuff up!

Oh, man, you're so right. I never even thought of that.  The stuff that comes along after birth is so, so gross. I caught a glimpse of the silvery-side of the placenta after I passed it with my daughter (my 2nd child) and I damn near threw up.  That sealed the deal - no more babies for me.  I kind of want to barf just thinking about it.  People who work in labor & delivery are amazing....cause I am way too grossed out by that stuff. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

This was my experience too. I had my 6 week check up in February after having a baby by C-section in December. I specifically asked my OB at the end of the appointment, after he didn't mention it, whether I should wait in order to get pregnant again (I may have been thinking about the Duggars and these forums). He looked at me like I was crazy and said "no, because you won't be giving birth immediately."

I know I've seen other women say that their OB gave different advice. But it seems like it's not a settled thing.

5 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Maybe the Dr meant wait 2 years to conceive if she wants to attempt a VBAC. It would make sense to allow the body time to heal, no? I never had a c-section myself so I don't know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this experience! It had me questioning doctors all over thinking everyone should have kiddos that are at least 2.5 years apart if they've had a c-section. 

It does make sense if she was told "it would be best to wait 2 years if you want to attempt a VBAC" but if she only had one child and happened to end up with a c-section (no other issues) no doctor should ever be telling a woman how to plan her family. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I was under the impression that for all his faults, Jim Bob did have insurance for his family.  I would have thought that he would have kept all the kids on until they turned 26,

It does get pretty complicated -- and possibly pretty expensive -- if you don't have employer-sponsored coverage, though, as JB wouldn't.

For one thing, as soon as a grandbaby is born, its insurance is its parents' responsibility, even if both those parents were covered by their parents' health plans. JB couldn't treat the grandbabies as his dependents on his insurance unless they actually were his dependents and of course officially they're not.  

And since the only reason JB's kids exist is to provide him with tons of grandbabies, maybe he starts thinking of them as "families on their own" once they're married and churning out his holy legacy. 

And then, of course, he couldn't cover the spouses either. So Joe would be covered and Kendra would have to be on her own parents' plan. (maybe she is, for all I know, of course). 

I can see him just looking at the complications and saying The hell with it. The Correct Jesus Will Provide. 

What a tangled web we weave when first we aspire to have 200 grandbabies.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

I've been lurking at FJ and they posted screen shots of the webisode where Joy gives birth. As someone without TLCGO, I learned the following things from their screen shots (screengrabs). 

1)Not only did the Forsyths not interfere, but some of them were present when Joy was in labor at home. His mother and sister were hovering over Joy when she was trying to give birth. As were many other people. 

2) Her sister Johannah was there. She seems young to be there. I'm glad no one tried to get me to witness a birth when I was her age.

3) There was an unidentified blonde woman there, who seems to be a midwife.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 8