Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

Many (not all, but it's not rare) doctors allow women to birth in any position they want.  However, if you want an epidural, you're on your back. 

Unless you have a doula with a peanut ball!

women deliver “big” babies vaginally and without drugs often, esp if given freedom of movement.

And vaginas were built for birthing, so most recover just fine ;) 

Hope Joy got whatever support and medical care she needed, when she wanted and needed it. Glad the “little” guy is here safely. 

• Love 11

Where the fk does Amy get off hash tagging a picture of Joy with her newborn son "someone in this family need to have a girl soon"?  How insulting to Austin and Joy.  Hey Amy... get yourself pregnant and try for that girl?!

• Love 17

Guess Amy isn't going to have any of her own. (Forgive the line, I've tried everything and it just won't leave.) 

Gideon is cute.

Edited by frenchtoast
fixed the strikethrough text.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

After my first child was born, vaginally, I could barely sit down for a week, and that's with pain meds.  My SIL's first baby was born by an unscheduled c-section and she rebounded very quickly.

Joy must be on some major pain meds in that picture, regardless of how she delivered, because she looks like she's not suffering at all.

Just going by the women I know, it seems that generally, those with c-sections often get stronger/better pain meds, whereas those with vaginal deliveries--no matter how horrendous the delivery and resulting damage--don't get much meds, because they delivered naturally so they're not thought to need them, which is bullshit. Of course, there are all sorts of variables--first vaginal birth worse than subsequent; c-s earlier in early labor results in much easier recovery versus after hours of pushing; etc.

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Amy's too selfish to have a baby.  Besides, she would make a terrible mother.

Nothing selfish about not having babies or even one baby.  

I doubt Amy would blanket train. 

I do find the line about having a girl soon dumb and somewhat offensive. I would consider it very offensive under normal circumstances, but considering how often her cousins have babies, it's likely someone will have another girl soon. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, nan said:

I can totally understand her comment - we had the first girl in our extended family after 10 yrs of boys. All in fun everyone wished "someone needed to have a girl"  Except us, we of course we were the ones that needed to have a boy to carry on the family name. 

Why can't a girl "carry on the family name"? 

• Love 8
On 2/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

On 2/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Gideon Martyn. Why add stupid y’s to boy’s names? It’s not cute. 

Martyn is Austin's middle name, so it might be a family name passed down through generations or he is trying to start a tradition.

If it is a family name then I don't think the y's are stupid. But if it is a spelling that started with Austin, then I agree that it is stupid and not cute.

On my dad's side of the family all of the first born sons have the same middle name.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, nan said:

Haha exactly what our daughter said, she is now a Dr with the family name. but try and explain that to my 78 yr old mother in law

My daughter carried on the family name too.

eta - and I hope I didn't accidentally quote myself again!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, beckie said:

Actually it is selfish of Amy, if she plans to have none of her own, demanding that they do it, and that it be a specific gender.

I didn't take it as a demand -- just Famy being her usual idiot self. Anyway, surely she knows one can't demand a baby be a specific gender. 

• Love 10

So out of curiousity, when my niece and nephews were born in Tn , in hospitals- all are turning 14 this year, - one vaginal and one emergency c-section with pre-eclampsia for the twins- the twins there were in NICU for a month - the hospitals there would NOT discharge the babies until the parents had filed with them the name of the pedetrician that they were going to use as well as set up, through the hospital ,the first baby appt with that ped.  I wonder if that's a general thing or not?  Would the hospitals that Jill and Joy and even Jessa had to go to after Spurge's birth require that?   Any thoughts from someone more recently acquainted with hospital births? I was just thinking that we talk so much about what, if any, prenatal care the girls are getting, that it made me curious if the babies and the new mom's are getting post care.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, beckie said:

Actually it is selfish of Amy, if she plans to have none of her own, demanding that they do it, and that it be a specific gender.

I think it's a joke, and the kind of irritating-annoying-mildy-offensive-wildy-intrusive joke that too many people I know would make.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 16

I am thrilled that Joy and baby Gideon have been checked out at the hospital, are doing well, and are back home.  I am also secretly hoping that Jana cornered Joy and said something along the lines of - "Listen.  J'chelle had all hospital births and a few c-sections because she and the babies needed them.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.  If you don't want to do a home birth, then DON'T do a home birth.  And if you want to try and feel you need help or want drugs then say, HOSPITAL NOW FOLKS!  Don't follow in Jill and Jessa's footsteps.  Do what YOU feel you need to do for YOU and the baby's safety and health.  And I'll personally duct tape anyone's mouth shut and feed them bad tater tot casserole if they give you grief about it.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, lianau said:

Congratulations Jill on you first grandsisterchild.

I was watching the various congratulations videos on YouTube and Michelle was visibly struggling for fucks to give while Boob blathered on about Jesus. Gideon is definitely Jill's grandchild, not Michelle's.

• Love 18
On 2/26/2018 at 4:58 PM, GeeGolly said:

Gideon is a great name. A win for Joy. But Giddy kinda sucks for a nickname.

That's precisely why my husband always vetoed it. I'd say, "What about Gideon?" He'd say "Giddy-Giddy-Giddy" in a weird voice, then shake his head nope. He had a point. You have to be prepared for the nicknames because some people will use them even if you ask them not to.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I am thrilled that Joy and baby Gideon have been checked out at the hospital, are doing well, and are back home.  I am also secretly hoping that Jana cornered Joy and said something along the lines of - "Listen.  J'chelle had all hospital births and a few c-sections because she and the babies needed them.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.  If you don't want to do a home birth, then DON'T do a home birth.  And if you want to try and feel you need help or want drugs then say, HOSPITAL NOW FOLKS!  Don't follow in Jill and Jessa's footsteps.  Do what YOU feel you need to do for YOU and the baby's safety and health.  And I'll personally duct tape anyone's mouth shut and feed them bad tater tot casserole if they give you grief about it.

Except that would be lying, because Mullet had two home births (Jinger and Joseph, I believe). ITA with the rest. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Except that would be lying, because Mullet had two home births (Jinger and Joseph, I believe). ITA with the rest. 

Darn it!  all those drinking games with watching the shows over the years are wrecking my memory  :-)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Pickles reported that they started at home and ended up at the hospital. 

Well, usually that’s how it works. Unless it’s a scheduled c-section or induced labor.  Or did she intend to give birth at home and changed her mind? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

the parents had filed with them the name of the pedetrician that they were going to use as well as set up, through the hospital ,the first baby appt with that ped.  I wonder if that's a general thing or not?  Would the hospitals that Jill and Joy and even Jessa had to go to after Spurge's birth require that?   Any thoughts from someone more recently acquainted with hospital births?

After daughter's births the pediatrician of her choice (or another ped in the same practice) had to sign the discharge papers for the newborns and included in the discharge paperwork was the first appointment.  Grandson had jaundice so the nurses were even reminding me to make sure he got to the doctor's office the next morning.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

After daughter's births the pediatrician of her choice (or another ped in the same practice) had to sign the discharge papers for the newborns and included in the discharge paperwork was the first appointment.  Grandson had jaundice so the nurses were even reminding me to make sure he got to the doctor's office the next morning.

Thanks Absolom, I have no clue what is current.  But it does make me wonder and hopeful that the babies are having checkups

• Love 2

Well, she has that stuffed-up nose that I associate with a lot of pregnant women - not sure what that's about...is it that you can't take the normal drugs you would when you're congested or something pregnancy-related? Doodlebug? - so I heard it more as I'm trying to SAY the T in gotten but I'm congested. ;-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Quote: Video posted on the Duggar website. http://www.tlc.com/embed?page=297190

So Joy has adopted that "not pronouncing T" ridiculous thing that the youngsters are doing ("The advice I've go-en is to prepare for the birth...").  Oh, that's right ... she's just a kid.

(Yes, everyone needs to get off my lawn.)

That’s a dialect issue too. I grew up probably about 100 miles from the Duggars. I never pronounce a t in the middle of a word. It either sounds more like a d (better, butter) or has the full glottal stop https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop  (gotten, Satan). I always pronounced pen as pin and Ben as bin until adulthood. And, I’m embarrassed to say, I caught myself tonight saying “I-ng do that” instead of “I can do that.” Mid-South dialect dies hard.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

So out of curiousity, when my niece and nephews were born in Tn , in hospitals- all are turning 14 this year, - one vaginal and one emergency c-section with pre-eclampsia for the twins- the twins there were in NICU for a month - the hospitals there would NOT discharge the babies until the parents had filed with them the name of the pedetrician that they were going to use as well as set up, through the hospital ,the first baby appt with that ped.  I wonder if that's a general thing or not?  

I had a baby in December.  She was checked by the pediatrician on duty each day but the hospital asked no questions about her discharge followv up at all. 

7 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

Well, she has that stuffed-up nose that I associate with a lot of pregnant women - not sure what that's about...is it that you can't take the normal drugs you would when you're congested or something pregnancy-related? Doodlebug? - so I heard it more as I'm trying to SAY the T in gotten but I'm congested. ;-)

Pregnancy causes ALLLLL sorts of side effects you  wouldn't expect.  Increased mucus is one. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

So out of curiousity, when my niece and nephews were born in Tn , in hospitals- all are turning 14 this year, - one vaginal and one emergency c-section with pre-eclampsia for the twins- the twins there were in NICU for a month - the hospitals there would NOT discharge the babies until the parents had filed with them the name of the pedetrician that they were going to use as well as set up, through the hospital ,the first baby appt with that ped.  I wonder if that's a general thing or not?  Would the hospitals that Jill and Joy and even Jessa had to go to after Spurge's birth require that?   Any thoughts from someone more recently acquainted with hospital births? I was just thinking that we talk so much about what, if any, prenatal care the girls are getting, that it made me curious if the babies and the new mom's are getting post care.

I had a baby last year and she was checked out in the hospital by the pediatrician on call but I also had to provide the name of the pediatrician we had chosen and verify with the hospital that we had made an appointment to see them a few days after discharge.  My OB also told me when she came by to examine me in the hospital that I needed to call her office and make a follow up appointment with her 6 weeks out.

ETA:  They wouldn't discharge us without confirming the baby's appointment but they didn't make me verify any post care for myself.

Edited by bob.loblaw
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, bob.loblaw said:

I had a baby last year and she was checked out in the hospital by the pediatrician on call but I also had to provide the name of the pediatrician we had chosen and verify with the hospital that we had made an appointment to see them a few days after discharge.  My OB also told me when she came by to examine me in the hospital that I needed to call her office and make a follow up appointment with her 6 weeks out.

ETA:  They wouldn't discharge us without confirming the baby's appointment but they didn't make me verify any post care for myself.

Yep.  I had a baby in November.  When I was admitted they asked for the name of the pediatrician that we were planning on using.  They made a note of it for their records. They gave me a little packet of his information to give to the pediatrician at discharge (details about the birth, hearing test, vaccinations...etc).  We were told to make an appointment to see the pediatrician within a day or two of discharge.

I had an emergency C-section due to failure to progess, so they told me I had to see my OB at 2 weeks to see how my "stiches"/incision (I had the dissolving kind) were healing and then the standard 6 weeks follow up.

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

If she didn’t have drugs with a 10+ pounder, she is an incredible freak of nature. I’m hoping her paleness is related to high doses of Percocet cause holy mother of God, my lady bits want to shrivel and die just thinking about that massive, round head coming out of me. 

I didn't have drugs with my 11-4 baby. Vaginal birth. No tearing. (Not sure what that says about me...)  However, I had epidurals with the one before (7-13) and the one after (8-12) because those were back labors and so much more painful than his rise-peak-fall contractions. Every birth varies. I'm glad they're in a hospital and okay.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

Isn't the "tt" in "gotten" pronounced as more of a glottal stop in most places? I know I say it that way. In American English the "tt" sound generally gets pronounced as a "d" in words like "pretty", and you only hear a real "T" sound in the middle of  "tt" words in England - where "gotten" is really not used anyway. But somehow it sort of gets swallowed in "gotten". I guess "godden" doesn't quite sit well on the tongue or something.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 3

Even if they did have to provide a doctor’s name (which I didn’t have to for my two hospital births if I chose to use the hospital pediatrician while we were admitted) they could give Dr. Fedosky’s name.  The hospital isn’t going to call and verify the appointment.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Well, usually that’s how it works. Unless it’s a scheduled c-section or induced labor.  Or did she intend to give birth at home and changed her mind? 

I read what Pickles wrote, and it's pure speculation. But yes, most labors start somewhere other than the hospital. ?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Quote: Video posted on the Duggar website. http://www.tlc.com/embed?page=297190

So Joy has adopted that "not pronouncing T" ridiculous thing that the youngsters are doing ("The advice I've go-en is to prepare for the birth...").  Oh, that's right ... she's just a kid.

(Yes, everyone needs to get off my lawn.)

13 hours ago, Abstract said:

That’s a dialect issue too. I grew up probably about 100 miles from the Duggars. I never pronounce a t in the middle of a word. It either sounds more like a d (better, butter) or has the full glottal stop https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop  (gotten, Satan). I always pronounced pen as pin and Ben as bin until adulthood. And, I’m embarrassed to say, I caught myself tonight saying “I-ng do that” instead of “I can do that.” Mid-South dialect dies hard.

5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Isn't the "tt" in "gotten" pronounced as more of a glottal stop in most places? I know I say it that way. In American English the "tt" sound generally gets pronounced as a "d" in words like "pretty", and you only hear a real "T" sound in the middle of  "tt" words in England - where "gotten" is really not used anyway. But somehow it sort of gets swallowed in "gotten". I guess "godden" doesn't quite sit well on the tongue or something.

I know what a glottal stop is, but I agree with Suspicious Minds that there's a trend among youngsters to fully omit any hint of an interior consonant and to really exaggerate the break between syllables. I used to associate this speech pattern with Latinos, but I have noticed it being used by white teens and young adults from both rural and urban areas in different regions of the U. S.

And yes, I've noticed the Duggar girls using it a couple of times.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 2

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/joy-anna-duggar-austin-forsyth-fixer-upper-154999

Baby Giddyup will have the memories of being brought home from the hospital to his RV, excuse me, tornado magnet which better than that ex meth house of a fixer upper.

Guess that will be the first home for many of the Dugg newlyweds until they can get their homes renovated...just need to drive it over and put blocks behind the wheels so it won't roll off the lot....

(edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

It means you are a magical unicorn because I’ve legit cried over poop cramps before. 

Bahahaha.  Same.  And labor was like the worst of those cramps you've ever had multiplied by 100.  So, @FakeJoshDuggar, if poo cramps make you cry and you ever are delivering a baby vaginally, here's my advice: GET ALL THE DRUGS.  (That was literally my "birth plan." No regrets about my epidurals or pain meds here.  I would have even preferred doing a 1960s style "twilight birth" where I knew I wouldn't remember any pain. LOL )

I hope Joy just kind of pretended like/paid lip-service to "oh yeah, I'm totally gonna do a home birth" but then when the pain got intense was like "nah, I'm gonna go get the drugs at the hospital" rather than something going wrong at home sending her there. I've known lots of women who were all about having natural, drug-free births until they were actually in labor and changed their minds.  No judgment - I got all the drugs, too (but I knew going in I wasn't going to attempt that without them - those women rock for even considering doing it drug-free and those of you who did do it drug-free are rock stars). 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 19
36 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Bahahaha.  Same.  And labor was like the worst of those cramps you've ever had multiplied by 100.  So, @FakeJoshDuggar, if poo cramps make you cry and you ever are delivering a baby vaginally, here's my advice: GET ALL THE DRUGS.  (That was literally my "birth plan." No regrets about my epidurals or pain meds here.  I would have even preferred doing a 1960s style "twilight birth" where I knew I wouldn't remember any pain. LOL )

Oh, I was gutted like a fish with C-sections and I was happy to do it. I laid on a table and then they gave me my baby - it was a win for me. 

• Love 12

I have no humanoid children. But I highly respect all of you that have given birth and are parents - vaginally, c-section, adoption or however! Not in my cards, but I highly respect each and every one of you!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I hope Joy just kind of pretended like/paid lip-service to "oh yeah, I'm totally gonna do a home birth" but then when the pain got intense was like "nah, I'm gonna go get the drugs at the hospital" rather than something going wrong at home sending her there. I've known lots of women who were all about having natural, drug-free births until they were actually in labor and changed their minds.  No judgment - I got all the drugs, too (but I knew going in I wasn't going to attempt that without them - those women rock for even considering doing it drug-free and those of you who did do it drug-free are rock stars). 

This 1000x. I can't see Joyless wanting to give birth in a crappy swimming pool. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I have no humanoid children. But I highly respect all of you that have given birth and are parents - vaginally, c-section, adoption or however! Not in my cards, but I highly respect each and every one of you!

My daughter has non-humanoid kids, and I completely understand her choice.  My friend has no children, but fosters kittens, and is a long-time volunteer at our local animal shelter.  Dedication to beloved animal companions is wonderful!  

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I wonder if Joy did use the birthing pool at all, and if so, would she have washed her feet first?

Geez...her feet would have made the rest of the thing unusable right there! I mean, I'm totally a barefoot person and can completely understand the mindset where shoes are only something to be borne when necessary, but if I had any ambitions of using a birthing pool, you can bet that I would make sure my feet were clean beforehand!! I wonder whether she had that much foresight...

• Love 3