Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I was able to make it through about half of Joy's video. What struck me is the younger girls saying "used to" about traditions and such. That leads me to believe the home dynamics certainly have changed. Michelle's at home with the 4 youngest girls and Jana who certainly could help her keep up holiday traditions.

• Sad 5
On 3/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Joy's latest video is a Q & A with six of the sisters.  One question was: What are you into or what are your passions.

Jana said she's dabbled in a lot of things, but now she'd like to learn and do more regarding medical stuff.  Maybe she sees Abbie enjoying the nursing profession and wonders what might have been.

I'm kind of surprised she would say this. She did EMT training years ago and dropped that.  And then she did the doula thing so she could be Jill's accountability partner, even though it looked like she really didn't enjoy it. I wonder what kind of "medical stuff" she has in mind.

• Like 7
  • Useful 4

Surprisingly Jana also stated in the video that she does not like to cook. I bet she doesn't like it much after having to cook for a crowd since she was a young girl. Sadly, my impression of some of these girls is that they don't know how to just have fun and leave the 'bible' things out of it. When Jordan's question was about the best gift she received, she immediately and obediently stated "salvation". Joy half rolled her eyes and said "besides salvation". Jordan knows the script. I also found it strange that all of the unmarried Duggar sisters were under a blanket or sheet while Joy was the only one not under cover. Am I reading too much into this? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 9
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Surprisingly Jana also stated in the video that she does not like to cook. I bet she doesn't like it much after having to cook for a crowd since she was a young girl. Sadly, my impression of some of these girls is that they don't know how to just have fun and leave the 'bible' things out of it. When Jordan's question was about the best gift she received, she immediately and obediently stated "salvation". Joy half rolled her eyes and said "besides salvation". Jordan knows the script. I also found it strange that all of the unmarried Duggar sisters were under a blanket or sheet while Joy was the only one not under cover. Am I reading too much into this? 

Maybe they were in pants for sleeping so they left a blanket on so we wouldn’t see?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Maybe they were in pants for sleeping so they left a blanket on so we wouldn’t see?

Jana was wearing jeans and the younger girls had on skirts. I think the blanket was for modesty. 

My guess is Michelle was there watching Joy's kids and listening to the Q&A.

• Useful 5
4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Brain surgery ?

All she needs is an apprenticeship and passing the Certified Professional Neurosurgery exam!

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
(edited)

I felt like Jana and all the younger Duggar girls wanted to do anything except this Q&A with Joy.  I wonder why Joy wanted to do this for her weekly video.  I haven't seen any of these younger girls in so long.  I wish Joy would have let them introduce and talk a little bit about themselves first.  What are they doing these days?  What are their hobbies?  What is their jurisdiction this week/month?  

Listening to how Josie talked about her American Doll was strange to me.  Trash?  Yes, it was sad that her brother and Tyler broke the doll as soon as she got home but odd that she said they filled it with trash.  

It was also sad to have Jana in there with her little sisters.  How old is she now, 32?  And then Hannie is almost 18?  Hannie mentioned wanting to know more about construction but yet never looked or acknowledged Jana's experience in this.  Infact none of the younger Duggars mentioned having watched their older sisters be good at something and that inspired them.  

Edited by ranchgirl
  • Sad 8
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jana is 35. Hannie is already 18. Jenni will be 17 this year, Jordyn and Josie are 15 and 14. 

So basically a freshman, sophomore, junior and senior.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jana is 35. Hannie is already 18. Jenni will be 17 this year, Jordyn and Josie are 15 and 14. 

My nephew is graduating high school this year yet somehow that doesn't make me feel as old as the reminder of Jordyn and Josie's ages.

• Like 5
  • LOL 8
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

All she needs is an apprenticeship and passing the Certified Professional Neurosurgery exam!

Actually the Duggars only need to watch someone else do something and then they can do it themselves. At least that is what JB said regarding them building TTH when they were children.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

JB is slipping on his job.  At least 2 of the girls are old enough to be courting.  Serious question--do you think JB might be having trouble finding husbands for his daughters?  I wonder how many people are keeping their distance from this family now.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

I think Jenni comes off as very shy. It may take her a while to be married off (if she has any say in it). Hannie appears to be very outgoing and self-assured. I think she might be able to pick her guy and get him vetted by JB. 

• Useful 3
20 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Serious question--do you think JB might be having trouble finding husbands for his daughters?  I wonder how many people are keeping their distance from this family now.

Maybe not so much families keeping their distance. But without a show, how many guys are going to fill out the 30 page survey?? Also no TLC story line urgently needed for someone to be courting, get married, or look like fools on a tlc planned honeymoon episode.

Several of the males have married since the show was cancelled. Females all from solid fundie families.

But Jase and James have seemed to have taken notes from the older Bates guys. No hurry to marry and be tied down with a wife and children . Especially if you can travel to Europe, build a party RV, act like 12yr olds with Elijah, cousin Evan Peters and Noah Robinson. All while working for daddy, eating food in the big house, having your laundry done by your sisters and all.

• Like 11
53 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

JB is slipping on his job.  At least 2 of the girls are old enough to be courting.  Serious question--do you think JB might be having trouble finding husbands for his daughters?  I wonder how many people are keeping their distance from this family now.

JB is likely gun shy seeing as the only husband he actually picked was Derick.

• LOL 18
9 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I can’t believe Jana is 35 and I’ve been following this family for what must be nearly 20 years now!  

• Like 12

I just started watching Joy's latest video where they're having an Easter egg hunt.  Joy tells us it's a cold day, in the 40s.  All the adults have big coats on and Evie and Gideon have no coats and Evie has no shoes.  Joy said Evie didn't want to wear shoes.    

And no doubt tomorrow they will be sick.  No wonder those kids always have a runny nose.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 8
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My Fundy wish today is that Joy (and Carlin Bates) keep their kids inside this afternoon. ☀️🌑😬😎 

I'm sure we'll be treated to multiple photos of all the kids posing with big smiles while looking directly into the sun without glasses.  Stupid is as stupid does.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

I'm sure we'll be treated to multiple photos of all the kids posing with big smiles while looking directly into the sun without glasses.  Stupid is as stupid does.

it does seem like the younger duggar kids were shown during the last eclipse doing the cereal box viewer thing.

eta - found a pic

21055343_1107120426088272_3401197458188224131_o.thumb.jpg.be099b3b98cf1e5d180818f97aa13144.jpg

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4

We had a solar eclipse a few years ago.  Our neighbor was kind enough to let us use his glasses briefly, to see it safely.  'The last thing anyone needs is a black spot on their retinas.  

I remember reading about the cereal box thing, but never tried it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My Fundy wish today is that Joy (and Carlin Bates) keep their kids inside this afternoon. ☀️🌑😬😎 

They won’t. 🥲

• Sad 4
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

According to Joy's most recent vlog, she is suffering from PPD. She is in therapy and taking anti-depressants. 

I'm glad she is getting real help and not just trying to pray it away. 

How refreshing to hear she's getting some real help. I am surprised though. J&A's antics during the onset of the pandemic would have me guessing they'd be the last of the Duggar 19 to seek mainstream mental health help.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

How refreshing to hear she's getting some real help. I am surprised though. J&A's antics during the onset of the pandemic would have me guessing they'd be the last of the Duggar 19 to seek mainstream mental health help.

So am I. Good for her. 

• Like 10

Good for Joy for seeking treatment and being willing to take medication.  Also, I'm guessing Austin is being supportive since she vloged about it.  If he is, I'll say good for him too.  

I always wonder how many of these fundie women end up with PPD, especially after all the back-to-back pregnancies that have.  How many of them are told by preachers to pray it away and getting pregnant again will help the "baby blues" go away? 

• Like 12
  • Sad 7
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

How many of them are told by preachers to pray it away and getting pregnant again will help the "baby blues" go away? 

Probably 100% of them. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4
  • Sad 14

I know that she needed Austin's permission to get treatment for her PPD, but I wonder if she had to go before Michelle and Jim Bob too and what they had to say.  

I am glad she is talking about it because she is right, she might could help or encourage another mom to get help.  And if other in her cult are watching, that could be a good thing.  

• Like 9
21 hours ago, ranchgirl said:

I know that she needed Austin's permission to get treatment for her PPD, but I wonder if she had to go before Michelle and Jim Bob too and what they had to say.  

I am glad she is talking about it because she is right, she might could help or encourage another mom to get help.  And if other in her cult are watching, that could be a good thing.  

Good for Joy and Austin for getting her the help she needs.  There is no shame in PPD, your hormones are jumping up and down and you're exhausted from caring for a newborn.  Plus she also has two others to look after.  A lot of people think having kids is easy after the second one and go for a third.  Then they hit the wall.

As for what JB&M think, it's none of their business.  I know the cult says that your parents are over you in authority even after you are a married adult, but it seems that a lot of the second generation are not buying into that.  That's a good step forward even thought I am sure they are still plenty conservative.

One thing I hope is that she doesn't pull a Josie Balka.  Josie made a big post about PPD and got a lot of support and gratitude for talking about it openly.  However,  a couple of weeks later, she shilled some supplement that she claimed cured her. I thought that was really inappropriate to use what can be a serious condition with a lot of stigma associated with it as a basis for a tacky snake oil shill.  

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3