Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I'm sure its times like this that Jill works hard on being okay with what all went down. From what I understand she still hopes to repair family relationships, but after her book I doubt she'll ever be fully brought back into the fold. I feel bad for her, having to live in a sort of no man's land.

Why do Jim and Shelly need a shiny new big ass RV when they're basically down to 5 kids, plus Jana?

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Hilaria is crying in a corner over losing her precious ( Jason?).

I legit forgot which J Duggar boy she likes.

It was “Jase” - he seems to be with that Hawaiian Surfer Dude quite a bit these days, or at least on Instagram.

• Useful 6
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Last major cut

Didn't Joy herself "secretly" film his reaction and post it. If he was totally controlling and an ass about it, she would not have done it again.

Vague on the details but his dad had told him about the haircut or some nonsense.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 3
44 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

If he was totally controlling and an ass about it, she would not have done it again.

Maybe but not conclusively. I definitely know of some marriage dynamics where one party is a complete ass about things like this and the other party would push buttons intentionally out of spite. I don't know that that is their dynamic, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 11
24 minutes ago, Zella said:

Maybe but not conclusively. I definitely know of some marriage dynamics where one party is a complete ass about things like this and the other party would push buttons intentionally out of spite. I don't know that that is their dynamic, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

good point

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I bet Austin hates it. She was crestfallen with his reaction the last time she got a major chop. 

Yeah, when I saw that pic, my first thought was, “I hope Austin has learned how to be supportive instead of a jerk.”

• Like 11

Joy, Austin and Joy's hair go all the way back to their wedding. Joy was like a little kid, or newly obedient wife-to-be, repeatedly asking Austin how she should wear her hair for the wedding day. Austin was getting progressively frustrated and basically said he didn't care. Joy wore it down and I think Austin was disappointed.

Joy's struggle with who she was, was so apparent then. Her tomboy status was wiped away as she moved into teen-hood, then she got it back when she started courting Austin. But she was also leaning heavily into Austin being her headship. Joy was the poster child for why folks should wait until the grow up and grow into themselves before they marry and pop out kids.

I hope she's coming into her own now.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

I like her haircut and I admit I'm jealous of how healthy her hair looks now that it's cut.  

Agree. What Joy lacks in brains she more than makes up for it in beauty. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
(edited)

Joy's latest video is below.  She and Austin are taking dance lessons (salsa, tango, etc.) and she says she loves it.  Austin mentioned Dancing With the Stars so I wonder if they watch that.  Maybe Joy sees that dancing isn't demonic after all.

Joy shows how she cut her own hair.  (She followed instructions on an online video.)  

Gunner is an adorable little chunk.  

Austin is sick, and it looks like at least a couple of the kids are as well.  (I saw a couple of runny noses.)

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4

Joy was so happy about her hair cut. She kept saying how much she loved it. I don’t know if I was happy or sad for her with that. I know a lot of women can be nervous about cutting long hair(I was), but Joy is nervous because of her cult and her husband. 

I think she did a good job just from watching a video. It’s cute and so much healthier. She did say she has been wanting to cut it for a while and that it has been a year since she cut it last. 

I think how nice Jill and Jessa would look with the same cut. 

• Like 14

She did a good job doing that herself.  Much better than the mess Jessa makes out of her kids' hair.  Glad they are OK doing some normal things couples their age do like dancing lessons.  They are still far from liberal, though.

• Like 8

Austin is a curious one to me. Part of me thinks he agreed to dance lessons because both he and Joy want Joy to lose the rest of the baby weight.

I hope I'm wrong. She looks great.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Austin is a curious one to me. Part of me thinks he agreed to dance lessons because both he and Joy want Joy to lose the rest of the baby weight.

I hope I'm wrong. She looks great.

I have such a hard time seeing him agreeing to the dancing lessons to begin with, given how sullen he's been over over things. Sadly, I could see this reasoning checking out. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have such a hard time seeing him agreeing to the dancing lessons to begin with

At one point, Joy said, "That was a great birthday present."  I'm thinking it's a gift from Austin as opposed to another family member because a little before that, she said, "We bought the package...."  So if it was indeed his gift to her, he'd have to know that he'd be a participant. 

• Useful 8