Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)

Joy and family visiting Jinger. Posting these here because they are Joy's pictures. Just from looking at the back of Felcity in the 2024 picture, I think she might look like Jinger.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Edited by Madtown
  • Useful 6

In some interview or Q and A thing not long ago, it seems like Jinger was asked about school for the girls. I think she said they were doing some sort of Christian Hybrid school this year for Felicity.  She goes to school some days and does school at home on the other days.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
10 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

In some interview or Q and A thing not long ago, it seems like Jinger was asked about school for the girls. I think she said they were doing some sort of Christian Hybrid school this year for Felicity.  She goes to school some days and does school at home on the other days.

That's MacArthur's school model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 8
(edited)

I'll bet Jeremy & Austin get along just fine.  Both like sports & outdoor stuff.  Building things around the house & hanging out with their kids.  And both seem to be devoted to their wives. 

And most importantly, neither seems to pay much attention to Jim Bob.  They do seem to respect that their wives are close to their mother.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 8
(edited)

Jeremy doesn't impress me as being a builder of anything. I think he farms that stuff out to guys like Austin. Jeremy's education probably intimidates Austin to a certain degree. Austin used to hang out with those YouTube guys who thought they were so smart, but were actually morons. Can't remember either they called themselves (Freedomists, I think), but I'll never forget the time Austin and Joy appeared on their podcast, denying the pandemic. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 10
  • Mind Blown 4
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jeremy doesn't impress me as being a builder of anything. I think he farms that stuff out to guys like Austin. 

Their You Tube videos prove differently. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

Their You Tube videos prove differently. 

Jeremy likes to build stuff and drive heavy machinery? 

I don't watch their YT, but this would be a significant change from his dilettante ways.

• Like 7

I'm watching Joy's latest video where she, Austin, and the kids are flying to California to visit Jinger and Jeremy, and Gunner has an ear infection!  Joy doesn't seem concerned that his eardrum could rupture by flying.  Ignorance truly is bliss.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 13
  • Sad 15
11 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Joy doesn't seem concerned that his eardrum could rupture by flying.  Ignorance truly is bliss.

Joy (and Austin) probably thinks, "he has another ear. He'll be OK."  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9

Poor little guy.  Ear infections are painful enough without adding flying into the mix.  Proof positive once again that you don't need any intelligence to get knocked up.

• Like 12
  • Sad 3
17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm watching Joy's latest video where she, Austin, and the kids are flying to California to visit Jinger and Jeremy, and Gunner has an ear infection!  Joy doesn't seem concerned that his eardrum could rupture by flying.  Ignorance truly is bliss.

They probably didn’t wear masks in the airport or on the plane, either. I hope they didn’t get any other kids or vulnerable travelers sick 🥲.

• Sad 10
(edited)

Here's a video that shows Joy and Austin at dance class.  Also, the couple dancing on left are Abbie and JD.

eta:  Dancing part begins at the 4:30 mark.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 3

I am surprised at how much they enjoy their dance classes.  What a difference from the way they both grew up.  Both Joy and Austin really have a sense of enjoyment.  It makes me happy to see that their life is not as austere as their childhoods.  And they are taking their kids to the dentist.

• Like 15
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I am surprised at how much they enjoy their dance classes.  What a difference from the way they both grew up.  Both Joy and Austin really have a sense of enjoyment.  It makes me happy to see that their life is not as austere as their childhoods.  And they are taking their kids to the dentist.

So am I. Joy and Austin don't seem like they'd split from their parents'/church opinion of dance or the type to like dancing. I'm glad they like it..

• Like 9

Yes, I was glad that they took their children to the dentist....but little Gideon is still sucking his thumb at his age....Evie is also most of the time with her fingers in her mouth too...learning from her brother. Joy already stated a few years ago that the dentist warned them that Gideon already has some damage due to his thumb sucking. Why do his parents not seem to care? His hands are all over everything and then he puts a dirty thumb in his mouth....I don't understand this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So am I. Joy and Austin don't seem like they'd split from their parents'/church opinion of dance or the type to like dancing. I'm glad they like it..

And it's nice that they're doing it with Abbie & John.  That gives them all a common activity far removed from what many people assume they do.  

We know they've all deviated from their parents path in some ways, but this is more entertaining to see than just the wives wearing pants.  

• Like 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

They flew with a baby that had an ear infection.  They don't seem to take things in life too seriously.

If a child is on antibiotics, most doctors won't recommend cancelling a flight, it's safe enough.  But Joy obviously said he wasn't on them.  

I would have to fly with mine occasionally, and we never had a problem. Just had to give them Tylenol & lots of water on top of the antibiotics.    

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

If a child is on antibiotics, most doctors won't recommend cancelling a flight, it's safe enough.  But Joy obviously said he wasn't on them.  

I would have to fly with mine occasionally, and we never had a problem. Just had to give them Tylenol & lots of water on top of the antibiotics.    

There's a lot of variables to whether a doc would okay flying. Age, degree of infection, where in the process of healing they are. The risk of a tear or burst ear drum needs a doc's opinion. These aren't things most parents can assess on their own.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
28 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a lot of variables to whether a doc would okay flying. Age, degree of infection, where in the process of healing they are. The risk of a tear or burst ear drum needs a doc's opinion. These aren't things most parents can assess on their own.

And these are the last people who would know anything about ear problems. They got lucky. God looks after idiots. 

• Like 8
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Exactly.  That's why I indicated a doctor would have to make the decision.  I did not advocate any parent making the decision themselves.  

My personal experiences were including a doctor's advice and prescription medication use. As I posted. 

I didn't think my comments were confusing.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

They flew with a baby that had an ear infection.  They don't seem to take things in life too seriously.

OUCH poor baby. 

I've busted an eardrum TWICE while flying. It's horrifying. First of all, it hurts like hell, and right when you think you can't possibly handle any more pain, it stops, which is great. Until you start bleeding out your ear, and then you get to have the anxiety response of "Oh god i'm dying oh god the guy next to me is going to think I have ebola AND that I'm a weirdo because I just shoved an entire pack of Trident Gum  in my mouth to prevent this earsplosion"

Followed by several days of antibiotic eardrops and a vaguely ringing ear. Good times. 

The only thing I will say is that it's not so hard to dodge it if Joy loaded the baby up on decongestants before the flight. There's also pressurizing earplugs that can help prevent it. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 8
On 2/6/2024 at 8:33 AM, floridamom said:

Yes, I was glad that they took their children to the dentist....but little Gideon is still sucking his thumb at his age....Evie is also most of the time with her fingers in her mouth too...learning from her brother. Joy already stated a few years ago that the dentist warned them that Gideon already has some damage due to his thumb sucking. Why do his parents not seem to care? His hands are all over everything and then he puts a dirty thumb in his mouth....I don't understand this.

"It's good for their immune system"

• Sad 6

I doubt Joy understands germs and cleanliness.  Her brothers were shown on TV cleaning the cat box with their bare hands. (This was the episode where Michelle stuffed new born kittens in a pitcher with a lid and said she learned to do that at the vet's office where she used to work in high school.  Something about it keeps the kittens warm).

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 8
5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I doubt Joy understands germs and cleanliness.

This is the person who walks around everywhere (including the dance studio) barefoot? I'd say no. She's definitely not the most naturally intelligent Duggar kid. (Why Austin doesn't stop him from sucking his thumb, I dunno; even his dad recognized a long while back he shouldn't be doing it.)

• Like 7
On 1/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, Salacious Kitty said:

I have no clue what Jeremy does or doesn't do. 

Probably not much.

Unless you consider buying expensive sneakers, eating expensive food, and preaching with all the charisma of paste just fascinating.

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
(edited)

Anyone remember that property Joy and Austin bought wanting to turn it into an RV park or camp?

Zoning for that got denied last year because the community packed the house in the zoning meeting and spoke against it.

In Nov 2023 they sold the property for $165,000.  They bought it for $159,000 maybe a year before that.

the zoning story from last year

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/elkins-rv-park-proposal-denied-after-neighbors-voiced-concerns/

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 3
  • Useful 7

Joy's latest video is a Q & A with six of the sisters.  One question was: What are you into or what are your passions.

Jana said she's dabbled in a lot of things, but now she'd like to learn and do more regarding medical stuff.  Maybe she sees Abbie enjoying the nursing profession and wonders what might have been.

• Useful 6
24 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Can Josie read? joy read both her Q&A cards for her. 

I hadn't noticed that, so I went back and look.  Yes, you're right--everyone read their own cards except Josie.  

• Sad 6
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I hadn't noticed that, so I went back and look.  Yes, you're right--everyone read their own cards except Josie.  

Josie was a micro premie.  She may have some delays.  We have seen her act much younger than her age.  Being the youngest, I'm sure she has been babied.  And I doubt "school" is being taught or of much importance anymore.  Education has never been shown to be of much importance in this family.  She will be courting in 3 or 4 years, so lack of educational skills won't matter too much.  This is just so sad.

• Sad 12
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Josie was a micro premie.  She may have some delays.  We have seen her act much younger than her age.  Being the youngest, I'm sure she has been babied.  And I doubt "school" is being taught or of much importance anymore.  Education has never been shown to be of much importance in this family.  She will be courting in 3 or 4 years, so lack of educational skills won't matter too much.  This is just so sad.

I assume dyslexia or a similar LD.

• Useful 3
25 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I assume dyslexia or a similar LD.

Could be.  I have always felt sorry for her.  Joy was supposed to be her buddy, but Jana got the job because Josie was so ill.  How you could pass off a fragile newborn to a daughter to care for, even it is the oldest daughter, is beyond me.

• Like 15
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 1

I, too, noticed that Joy read the cards for Josie but was afraid to post and ask about this. Thank you for doing Gemma Violet and Salacious Kitty for doing so. 

• Like 7
On 3/8/2024 at 11:20 PM, CalicoKitty said:

As if all of this isn't bad enough, she will be expected to homeschool her own children.  When does a situation like this collapse under its own weight?

• Like 19
  • Sad 3

None of the other younger girls really read with confidence, either. And they all (including Joy) seemed to have a bit of trouble with understanding a couple of the (fairly straightforward) questions. 

I am always strangely fascinated by Duggar sibling dynamics, so I watched the whole video. Jenni and Jordyn seemed sad/ unenthusiastic (a constant state for Jenni since her toddler years), although Jenni does seem to genuinely enjoy animals and had some life in her when discussing her goal to get some mini cows. Was she the one who said she wanted to be a vet back when she was a little kid? Too bad her lack of education and opportunities will prevent that.

I know everyone thinks Johanna looks like a mini Joy, but I was seeing a lot of Jessa in her facial expressions when she was talking. She was the most enthusiastic in the video. I think she will be another daughter who marries young because she just wants out of the big house. Hopefully she ends up with a halfway decent guy. I was also amused that they still call her "Hansel" (this nickname first came up on the show years ago, and always seemed surprisingly masculine for a Duggar girl).

Josie seemed much younger than the rest, and prone to butting in when she didn't need to. I did feel bad for her when she mentioned Tyler or Michael tearing the head off her doll back in the day before she even got to play with it.

Jana is still over everything. The most animation she showed was her wistful reminiscing about the old house.

I do wonder whether Joy had someone else (non-sister) to keep an eye on her kids while she did the video with her sisters? She said Austin was out of town. Evy wandered in and out now and then, and I realize the video was edited and Joy might have gotten up in between to deal with the kids, but it still seems odd (though on-brand, I suppose) to leave your small children to their own devices while you hang out (and film a 20-minute video) with your sisters.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3