Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 3/2/2018 at 9:02 PM, MichaelaRae said:

I'm just going to throw this out there, as someone who never believed the Joy and Austin broke the courtship rules rumors...that seems to be a particularly alert and active "<1 week old" baby .When I look at that kid, he seems very...3-4 weeks old, and I'm not talking size, I'm talking activity and alertness. But I am not a doctor and  haven't spent a day watching one, so that makes me not a Duggar expert.

I didn’t want to say this but I thought the same...

• Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I didn’t want to say this but I thought the same...

I don't think we'll ever know for sure, though if he was born in a hospital there would at least be a birth certificate with the actual date of birth on it. As much as she started showing much earlier than average, the baby was pretty big, and looks very alert and active in the photos, none of these things is unheard of. Though the phrase "alert and active" isn't generally seen too often in conjunction with "Duggars", the baby IS a Forsyth, and they seem to have a little more in the way of energy and initiative than the typical Duggar.

At any rate, I don't tend to thing there is really anything in the premarital sex rumors. It's fun to speculate, but realistically I think they are all such Kool-Aid drinkers in addition to being pretty closely monitored at all times during the courtship that it would have taken a huge breach in both their morals and opportunity for anything to have happened.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Genevrier said:

If that’s Amy’s photo, People needed a license to run it. Who here thinks Amy gave it away for free? 

I think because she posted it on her open (at the time) Instagram page anyone is allowed to share it.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Diana, Princess of Wales, took both her sons home a day after birth.  I used to tell new moms that the reason she went home so soon was because she was a Princess who lived in a Palace and had more help at home than at the hospital.  I'd tell them that, unless able to emulate Princess Diana, stay at the hospital as long as possible.

Princess Diana broke with royal tradition when she gave birth in a hospital https://www.history.com/news/history-lists/7-surprising-facts-about-royal-births

It's rumored Kate will give birth to her 3rd at home but of course with royal home births there is a wing fitted out like a hospital.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, TresGatos said:

Princess Diana broke with royal tradition when she gave birth in a hospital https://www.history.com/news/history-lists/7-surprising-facts-about-royal-births

It's rumored Kate will give birth to her 3rd at home but of course with royal home births there is a wing fitted out like a hospital.

As anyone who watches The Crown knows, all of the current Queen's kids were born in the palace.  Her father, King George, had surgery for lung cancer done in the palace.  Back in the old days, royalty just didn't do hospitals.

• Love 10
On 3/9/2018 at 2:09 PM, Lunera said:

I think because she posted it on her open (at the time) Instagram page anyone is allowed to share it.

Yes, but if they use it in a for-profit manner, they still have to pay her or she has to waive payment.

Someone posted on Pickles that there is a webisode about Joy giving birth to Gideon.  The poster said that Joy started out with a homebirth with a midwife and Michelle, Jana, Jill, Johanna, Austin's mom, and Austin's sister.  After 20 hours of labor, the midwife realized that the baby was breech and Joy was taken to the hospital for an emergency C-section.  Maybe Jill should invest in better "medical things."

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 22
1 minute ago, Mollie said:

Someone posted on Pickles that there is a webisode about Joy giving birth to Gideon.  The poster said that Joy started out with a homebirth with a midwife and Michelle, Jana, Jill, Johanna, Austin's mom, and Austin's sister.  After 20 hours of labor, the midwife realized that the baby was breech and Joy was taken to the hospital for an emergency C-section.

Sounds very similar to sister-mom Jill's birth to Izzy. Do they get one 20 week vanity scan and never get another? And why can't these mid-wives determine the babies positions?

I don't know about them, and less important than the safety of mom & baby, but if I'm going to need a c-section, I'd prefer to forego labor.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know about them, and less important than the safety of mom & baby, but if I'm going to need a c-section, I'd prefer to forego labor.

Safety of mom and baby is obviously most important, but when given the choice of a vacuum assist or a c-section after her daughter wasn't progressing like she should, a co-worker choose the vacuum assist because she said she hadn't been through fifteen hours of labor for nothing. (She and her daughter were fine, and she also mentioned had she been offered a C section before those fifteen hours of labor she likely would have chosen differently.)

But I agree ... I'm not going through hours of labor for ultimately nothing unless I absolutely have to and a C section is my only reasonable option.

I had another coworker whose wife had twins - one vaginally and the second by emergency c section. That sounds awful.

• Love 6

It's available if you have TLC TO GO which I don't.  Two webisodes. The still from the second episode looks like a c section to me. Blue sheets covering everything except Joy and the baby. 

Does anyone have TLC to go and is willing to watch? I went over to FJ and found they're talking about the news. I assume a few of them have TLCTOGO. 

This news makes me sad. Why do the Duggars keep taking such risks with their daughters/selves/wives and their grandchildren/children?

Joy didn't even have a vanity ultrasound for the gender. She wanted to be surprised. (Meaning not that everyone should find out the gender or have a vanity ultrasound, but she may not have had an ultrasound.)

I'm depressed by this news. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, Mollie said:

after 20 hours of labor, the midwife realized that the baby was breech and Joy was taken to the hospital for an emergency C-section.

I'm wondering about the labor times again.  On the webisode I watched I thought it said labor began around 4 AM and Gideon was delivered before 4 PM.  That's closer to 12 than 20. They really need some new midwives to figure out the positioning of the baby a lot sooner.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Mollie said:

Of the Duggar daughters, we have one successful homebirth (Jessa with Spurgeon  Henry) and four failed homebirths that ended in hospitalization.  Conclusion:  Duggar daughters have an 80% chance of having a failed homebirthing experience.  Do you think they will learn something from this?  I don't.  Because it keeps happening!

fixed for you.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm wondering about the labor times again.  On the webisode I watched I thought it said labor began around 4 AM and Gideon was delivered before 4 PM.  That's closer to 12 than 20. They really need some new midwives to figure out the positioning of the baby a lot sooner.

No, they said they CALLED the TTH at 4 am, and at that point she was dialated to 6. Dr. Jill was there, resplendent in her C3 tee shirt. 

They didn't go into detail about the transportation, but when they called the TTH to report, it was light out, so it sounds like Joy stalled, and the midwife FINALLY decided to transport her. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Of the Duggar daughters, we have one successful homebirth (Jessa with Spurgeon) and four failed homebirths that ended in hospitalization.  Conclusion:  Duggar daughters have an 80% chance of having a failed homebirthing experience.  Do you think they will learn something from this?  I don't.  Because it keeps happening!

You mean Jessa with Henry. I believe Jessa did deliver Spurge successfully, but it was the hemorrhaging that sent her to the hospital. 

Still, though, if Joy's labor was 12 hours total, that's actually not too bad for a first birth, especially that of a 10+ pounder. And I got to thinking, did we ever see any other Duggars with Jill when she was laboring with Izzy (other than Derick)? Jill was present during Jessa's labors and deliveries and now Joy's. Plus, several of them were present for Anna's births (at least Mack and Michael, maybe Marcus).

ETA: Even 20 hours isn't that bad for a 1st birth if it was really closer to 20.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 1

Yeah, I guess I missed the exact statement due to noise from the street work in front of my house.  I'm looking forward to them hitting quitting time soon.  Even so 20 hours is a reasonable length of labor, but danged Jill still can't tell a baby's position correctly and neither could the midwife (if they had a state licensed one there)?  If nothing else, hopefully they start figuring out knowing in advance the baby is poorly positioned is a good idea to save yourself from the pain of fruitless labor. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Yeah, I guess I missed the exact statement due to noise from the street work in front of my house.  I'm looking forward to them hitting quitting time soon.  Even so 20 hours is a reasonable length of labor, but danged Jill still can't tell a baby's position correctly and neither could the midwife (if they had a state licensed one there)?  If nothing else, hopefully they start figuring out knowing in advance the baby is poorly positioned is a good idea to save yourself from the pain of fruitless labor. 

A 10 pounder isn't going to flip in the latter stages of pregnancy. Someone (or some people...looking at you, Dr. Jill) missed this one big time. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 17

I watched the two TLC TO GO webisodes.  In Joy's kitchen, prepping meals, Michelle definitely hogged the camera.  And next to Austin's mother's words, Michelle was very scripted and modulated.  Jana also made food, but she never said a word and to me, seemed sad.

Jenni was delighted at being the first to hear the gender over the phone.  JB drank endless cups of Keurig coffee while waiting for the baby.  Jackson delighted in catching and playing with the blue confetti from John David's gender bomb.  Jackson still looks and acts eight.

Joy was tearful, exhausted and defeated as she was wheeled into surgery.

Also, Ben was there along JB's working sons, assembled for prayer.

Don't babies settle into head down, engaged into the pelvis, or else breech or transverse well before birth?  Why did they make Joy go through a long, painful labor breech???

• Love 18

I forgot to say that the reason they withheld the baby's name before the birth was because they did not need other people's criticism.  And people would learn to like the name!  So they knew the name would be perceived as a little odd.  Thankfully, not as odd as Spurgeon!

1 minute ago, Marigold said:

so it's confirmed it was a C-section? 

Yes, for sure an emergency C-section, as soon as she arrived to the hospital.  Also, ahead of the labor, Joy mentioned if plan B was needed, they would go to the nearest hospital, which was 30 minutes away.  So no that close.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, louannems said:

I forgot to say that the reason they withheld the baby's name before the birth was because they did not need other people's criticism.

Isn't that a pretty common reason to withhold the name announcement until the baby is born, even with common names?

I honestly don't think Gideon is all that word of a name. In fact, I think I prefer it  to the plethora of Emmas and Olivias and Ethans and Aidens. (No offense to anyone with those names. I like those names. I don't like that there are eight other kids in the class with those same names.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 17

Poor Joy. 

Wow, the Duggar girls are not having successful homebirths, are they?  Only jessa with Henry.   I wonder if they had proper pre-natal care and birthed in a hospital (Or birth center in a hospital) with licensed midwives or an OB, if they would've had better success? 

Obviously Michelle and her daughters are different people and everyone is unique, but Michelle had less complications and the majority of her births were in a hospital.  Michelle seemed to find qualified people to handle her deliveries while these Duggar girls have gone rogue with shaky results. 

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, Marigold said:

or at the very least, show that you MUST have proper prenatal care and qualified midwives...

"rogue" is the best word I can think of to describe these Duggar homebirths. 

I go with “ill-advised” or “ignorant.” But I’m bitchy like that.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Poor Joy. 

Wow, the Duggar girls are not having successful homebirths, are they?  Only jessa with Henry.   I wonder if they had proper pre-natal care and birthed in a hospital (Or birth center in a hospital) with licensed midwives or an OB, if they would've had better success? 

Obviously Michelle and her daughters are different people and everyone is unique, but Michelle had less complications and the majority of her births were in a hospital.  Michelle seemed to find qualified people to handle her deliveries while these Duggar girls have gone rogue with shaky results. 

I think they're still encouraging the home births/Jill's involvement because if the girls go elsewhere for their care, they have to admit that Jill is in no way qualified to call herself a midwife, and The "learn a skill by watching for five minutes" Duggars can't handle that Jill is still useless, even after a bit of book learning and an exam.

• Love 22

Dang it, they lured me into downloading the TLCGO app. Why can’t I quit these people?  

Edited by Kbo
Incoherent ramblings
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Mollie said:

Someone posted on Pickles that there is a webisode about Joy giving birth to Gideon.  The poster said that Joy started out with a homebirth with a midwife and Michelle, Jana, Jill, Johanna, Austin's mom, and Austin's sister.  After 20 hours of labor, the midwife realized that the baby was breech and Joy was taken to the hospital for an emergency C-section.  Maybe Jill should invest in better "medical things."

My apologies!   I posted this news in the Counting On and Duggard threads -- I should have checked here first!

I am convinced that Jill will continue to "pretend midwife" at family births until something goes horribly wrong (as in near fatal).   She has learned nothing from her own botched births.   She's too stupid to realize how ignorant she is.

• Love 19

Of the Duggar daughters, we have one successful homebirth (Jessa with Henry Wilberforce) and four failed homebirths that ended in hospitalization.  Conclusion:  Duggar daughters have an 80% chance of having a failed homebirthing experience.

What's really scary is to think of is that without modern hospitals/Western medicine, there's a strong probability all 3 would have died. Jessa, for sure, with her hemorrhaging would have. An actual competent midwife may have been able to catch and turn Joy's breech earlier and change things, but that's still a sign that the way their community is training midwives is insufficient (and there's no midwife or doctor who can guarantee a change of a breech baby, so it's impossible to know). I forget exactly what Jill's problem was, but she needed a hospital intervention so it seems like odds aren't in her favor.

I don't believe god gives people messages about faith through childbearing and delivery. But if god did, it seems to me that god is telling them that either their behavior is not really pious or that there is no connection between piety and childbearing (and Anna's nightmare marriage already demonstrates that purity is no guarantee of perfect, wondrous marriage either).

• Love 20
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, what's the bad old joke?  "If you can't be a good example, at least aspire to be a terrible warning?"

I think it's those that can't do, teach.  I certainly wouldn't want Jill teaching anything, not even baking banana bread.

It just occurred to me that TLC breaking this video was this week's Monday Surprise. 

I wonder if they had something else planned, but brought out the Big Guns to try and mitigate Derelict's tantrums? There are people on Jill's instagram still wondering when they'll be on the show. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

What's really scary is to think of is that without modern hospitals/Western medicine, there's a strong probability all 3 would have died. Jessa, for sure, with her hemorrhaging would have. An actual competent midwife may have been able to catch and turn Joy's breech earlier and change things, but that's still a sign that the way their community is training midwives is insufficient (and there's no midwife or doctor who can guarantee a change of a breech baby, so it's impossible to know). I forget exactly what Jill's problem was, but she needed a hospital intervention so it seems like odds aren't in her favor.

Well, it would have just been women dying. And maybe a few babies. Lots more where they came from, right? That's got to be the underlying principle of these cultists, really. Women schwimmen. The only thing they're good for is birthin' them babies. So if they're no good for that, might as well move along to the next batch. 

• Love 15

JB was all about buy used, save the difference, when they were poor and when he blew a quarter million on a campaign. They have money now, so even though he still touts the family line, they buy whatever they want whether it's new or used.

And they ignore how their spending habits have changed, just like they ignore relaxed courting rules, pants wearing daughters, skin tight maternity wear and kidults traveling solo.

• Love 13