Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Of course I’m hoping Joy and her son are healthy. He’s a precious little guy! So much side eye to Jill, but I do think her love for her buddy team was genuine, goodness knows she pays more attention to their emotional needs than Michelle or JB ever did.

Im watching the first episode of the new season and this timeline is all over the place. This is footage from May- almost a year ago! When two seasons ago they started with Joys wedding and worked backward (while filling us in on Jinger and Jeremy’s engagement/honeymoon) things started to get wonky. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 9
44 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Was Joy in Jill's buddy team? Maybe Jill meant Gideon will be part of their buddy team. Why think of the baby as your nephew when you can think buddy team.

Yes, Joyless was raised by Jill. It's not hard to see why Joyless has no curiosity, no desire to grow and no longterm goals except pop out a new bay-be every year because that's what Jill taught her. 

• Love 12

All things considered, it looks like they’re both healthy, and he doesn’t have a completely off the wall name.  Pretty sure that they’ll go with all Biblical names, and there are some really crazy ones (My grandpa was a Rueben).  Gideon is Biblical and unique.  They may suck at raising kids, but at least they named this one something decent.  (Better than Jessa!)

• Love 5

I know this group hates homebirth, but I had a 10 lb 6 oz homebirth baby with a licensed midwife. I was 39 weeks, 6 days with no gestational diabetes. He was healthy and the birth went incredibly smoothly. I had an almost painless recovery and, yes, my vagina is fine.

I like the name and the baby is a cutie, but Austin definitely seems like the coldest of all the husbands.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, truebluesmoky said:

I like the name and the baby is a cutie, but Austin definitely seems like the coldest of all the husbands.

Austin strikes me as a Steve Maxwell type. Hardnosed and militant, and very strongly opinionated about the sorts of tasks that constitute wimmin's work. I don't see him being particularly hands-on with the baby or watching him so Joy can get some sleep or get out of the house for a few hours. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Gweilo said:

Le Sigh. Joy is wearing two layers of clothes in case she defrauds....her husband? Her SON?!

My baby was born 6 weeks ago and I'm wearing as little as possible/nothing on top while we're learning to breastfeed.

She's probably wearing layers for support and coverage more than anything. She's like a Russ Meyer movie there. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, I remember Joy flinging the hanger. I forget the setup, though, other than they were in the girls' communal closet. 

It was when they were living in the rental in Little Rock when Josie was in the NICU. The girls came home for something or other and Joyless was having none of it. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

It was when they were living in the rental in Little Rock when Josie was in the NICU. The girls came home for something or other and Joyless was having none of it. 

The big girls went back home to clean up after the big boys, who had been living alone in TTH.  As I recall, they also had to take down Christmas decorations, even though it was way past Christmas.

• Love 1

Good grief, the Duggars, and Joy/ Austin in particular, are quintessential ugly Americans. Though Joy does have good pitch, as evidenced by the yodelling scene. (Did not see an episode thread yet so I put this here.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

What does that even mean?

It means Jill and Derick spent soooo much time as missionaries in Central America that Jill has extensive experience with Hispanic culture and the Spanish language. Enough for her to translate aunt into tia, but not favorite. 

Learning the words for family members is usually taught early on when learning a language. 

• Love 24
13 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

And probably also because deductibles are high. I pay over $400/mo for health insurance through my job (and my employer contributes even more than that) and still have a $1200 deductible. And my plan is considered by many to be "good insurance" as it doesn't have a $4-5k deductible. 

I saw a nurse midwife for prenatal care with my first baby. She was very much into "letting things progress naturally and waiting for baby" as long as everything else was okay. I would have let her induce me exactly on my due date because I was beyond ready by then. I was not a happy pregnant lady, particularly at the end. She wouldn't induce until 2 weeks past the due date.

That is exactly when I was induced (last few minutes of the night of my due date); baby was born thirteen hours later - making him born 15 days past his due date. Sigh. It all depends on your OB/nurse midwife.  I saw an OB for my daughter; the OB was good to induce four days after her due date because it fit her schedule. Thankfully, daughter started coming on her own a few days before her due date. She wasn't a procrastinator like brother. Ha.

Three days is nothing. See my 15 days above. Baby was 9lbs 3oz.  I pushed for two hours.  I had third degree tears in two places. OUCH!  My pelvic floor/birth canal were damaged and I had to do pelvic floor physical therapy.  Even with the PT, things aren't exactly the same in that area and aren't ever going to be.  I had third degree tears in two places. OUCH!  My son's head was perfectly shaped even with the two hours of pushing. Many people asked me if he was a C-section baby and I was like "trust me, I pushed that out and it took forever." So it's possible Gideon's perfect head isn't necessarily a C-section indicator. 

My daughter, though, was even bigger - 9lbs 8oz -and born a few days before her due date.  I didn't push as long and only got a first degree tear. Her head was not perfect. The OB had to kind of re-mold it when she came out and it still didn't look as "perfectly-shaped" as my son's had for a while. The recovery from the second birth was much easier, even though she was larger and it was only 17 months after my son's birth. I guess my body was used to birthing large babies second time around. I don't know, LOL. I'm not having any more babies to find out, though.  

He's a cutie. Joy looks like she just had a big old baby. I know that look well. LOL. (The hell if you'd have seen me posing for pictures for People magazine a few days after birthing a big baby, though.)

My dad is 6 & a half feet tall and my husband's great-grandfather was 6'7" - we have lots of tall people in our families and both hubby and I are above average height. None of the Duggars and their in-laws look like particularly large people, but damn...they have some large babies.

Women get these awful tears  partly because they're pushing on their backs for the convenience of the dr. Women should squat, stand, he on their hands and knees. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Gideon Martyn. Why add stupid y’s to boy’s names? It’s not cute. 

I actually thought the baby's middle name was Martyr, which would be a great name for a Dugger girl, in keeping with the low expectations for the females in that family.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

I know this group hates homebirth, but I had a 10 lb 6 oz homebirth baby with a licensed midwife. I was 39 weeks, 6 days with no gestational diabetes. He was healthy and the birth went incredibly smoothly. I had an almost painless recovery and, yes, my vagina is fine.

I don't hate homebirth.  I had two, with a doctor and a midwife present.  They were both lovely and uneventful.  My hospital birth was good too.  As two of my sisters had full-term stillbirths in the hospital (and subsequent healthy deliveries, also in the hospital) and we all had proper prenatal care, I never judge any woman for how her baby comes into the world.  I just pray for healthy outcomes.  Thankfully, all of the Duggars have had them so far.  I do wish they would have proper prenatal care, but we don't know for certain that they don't.  Incidentally, my vaginally birthed babies all had nice, round heads.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Annabel11 said:

Women get these awful tears  partly because they're pushing on their backs for the convenience of the dr. Women should squat, stand, he on their hands and knees. 

Many (not all, but it's not rare) doctors allow women to birth in any position they want.  However, if you want an epidural, you're on your back. 

• Love 1

If Joy did have a vaginal delivery with a 10 pound baby, I wonder if that bothers Jill a little bit deep down that her baby sister was able to vaginally deliver and Jill hasn't been able to. Not that I think Jill should feel bad/less than for having two c-sections but people are human and can get upset about stuff like that. If Jill has been comforting  herself by saying she couldn't do it with such big babies, it's gotta sting a little of Joy was able to.  

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

More evidence of hospital birth.

Shut up Famy! I hope she got Joy's permission to post these photos. I would definitely not want a private, intimate moment like that posted for the whole world to see.

• Love 12

I really hate when men wear baseball caps indoors. It's tacky, and it isn't as if Austin is hiding a bald spot, either. 

The way Joy is positioned in the bed makes me think vaginal delivery. Either way, I hope she's well. 

5 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

If Joy did have a vaginal delivery with a 10 pound baby, I wonder if that bothers Jill a little bit deep down that her baby sister was able to vaginally deliver and Jill hasn't been able to. Not that I think Jill should feel bad/less than for having two c-sections but people are human and can get upset about stuff like that. If Jill has been comforting  herself by saying she couldn't do it with such big babies, it's gotta sting a little of Joy was able to.  

I agree. That might also help explain Jill's behavior since Israel's near-disastrous birth. 

• Love 5

I've had vaginals and C sections.

Crossing her legs like that looks like a vaginal delivery. 

I had all 10 pounders. So glad she was in a hospital. Big babies can get risky. Plus, we have seen their homebirths (mother is bleeding!)

Jill must be crushed.  The Duggars themselves have repeatedly said they are very competitive. Any healthy birth is a good birth but you just know that Jill does not see it that way. 

• Love 6

I'm glad it looks like everything went well and that Joy and this 'big' little guy are ok. I think something went a bit scary for her. They made that birthing pool video and indicated that they were planning to deliver at home. She obviously went to the hospital. I wonder what happened? Joy looks awfully pale in those hospital photos...really pale like Jessa looked after Spurgie's delivery.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Pickles reported that they started at home and ended up at the hospital. 

I hope it was something fairly innocuous like Joy deciding drug-free childbirth isn't for her and she wanted an epidural. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

I hope it was something fairly innocuous like Joy deciding drug-free childbirth isn't for her and she wanted an epidural. 

If she didn’t have drugs with a 10+ pounder, she is an incredible freak of nature. I’m hoping her paleness is related to high doses of Percocet cause holy mother of God, my lady bits want to shrivel and die just thinking about that massive, round head coming out of me. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Pickles reported that they started at home and ended up at the hospital. 

That's sound about right.  

I was going to post that we don't know whether she actually gave birth in hospital or not. We know she was in a hospital, but we don't when she arrived. 

Glad she's safe. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

If she didn’t have drugs with a 10+ pounder, she is an incredible freak of nature. I’m hoping her paleness is related to high doses of Percocet cause holy mother of God, my lady bits want to shrivel and die just thinking about that massive, round head coming out of me. 

She looked pale in the car auction photos from a few weeks ago. Maybe she just hasn't gotten much sun this winter, or maybe she's anemic. Who knows. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Heathen said:

She looked pale in the car auction photos from a few weeks ago. Maybe she just hasn't gotten much sun this winter, or maybe she's anemic. Who knows. 

Yeah, but I’m the People pic, she looks like she has good drugs on board. (I don’t blame her for one little bit.  Take’m until you sit without a pool ring, girl!)

• Love 3

After my first child was born, vaginally, I could barely sit down for a week, and that's with pain meds.  My SIL's first baby was born by an unscheduled c-section and she rebounded very quickly.

Joy must be on some major pain meds in that picture, regardless of how she delivered, because she looks like she's not suffering at all.

• Love 4