Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 2/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, bigskygirl said:

Sadly even with health insurance, they probably still would take major chances because God will save them.

And probably also because deductibles are high. I pay over $400/mo for health insurance through my job (and my employer contributes even more than that) and still have a $1200 deductible. And my plan is considered by many to be "good insurance" as it doesn't have a $4-5k deductible. 

On 2/24/2018 at 10:08 PM, CatS said:

I have no doubt that they aren't getting adequate prenatal care, but 42 weeks is within the range of normal. It probably depends on the OB, but mine with my first pregnancy gave me the option of waiting until 42 weeks to schedule an induction if needed (but we knew DD1 was vertex and in the 6lb range, because I, you know, saw my OB regularly, unlike the J's). 

I saw a nurse midwife for prenatal care with my first baby. She was very much into "letting things progress naturally and waiting for baby" as long as everything else was okay. I would have let her induce me exactly on my due date because I was beyond ready by then. I was not a happy pregnant lady, particularly at the end. She wouldn't induce until 2 weeks past the due date.

That is exactly when I was induced (last few minutes of the night of my due date); baby was born thirteen hours later - making him born 15 days past his due date. Sigh. It all depends on your OB/nurse midwife.  I saw an OB for my daughter; the OB was good to induce four days after her due date because it fit her schedule. Thankfully, daughter started coming on her own a few days before her due date. She wasn't a procrastinator like brother. Ha.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Absolom said:

Let's hope she doesn't go as far past her due date as we think Jill did.  Three days and counting.

Three days is nothing. See my 15 days above. Baby was 9lbs 3oz.  I pushed for two hours.  I had third degree tears in two places. OUCH!  My pelvic floor/birth canal were damaged and I had to do pelvic floor physical therapy.  Even with the PT, things aren't exactly the same in that area and aren't ever going to be.  I had third degree tears in two places. OUCH!  My son's head was perfectly shaped even with the two hours of pushing. Many people asked me if he was a C-section baby and I was like "trust me, I pushed that out and it took forever." So it's possible Gideon's perfect head isn't necessarily a C-section indicator. 

My daughter, though, was even bigger - 9lbs 8oz -and born a few days before her due date.  I didn't push as long and only got a first degree tear. Her head was not perfect. The OB had to kind of re-mold it when she came out and it still didn't look as "perfectly-shaped" as my son's had for a while. The recovery from the second birth was much easier, even though she was larger and it was only 17 months after my son's birth. I guess my body was used to birthing large babies second time around. I don't know, LOL. I'm not having any more babies to find out, though.  

6 hours ago, hlnfn74 said:

coming out of lurkdom to say that People has news of baby Forsyth's birth. 10lb 3oz baby boy, born the 23rd

5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20180226-073903-657x566.jpg

Of course they waited for the premiere to announce.

He's a cutie. Joy looks like she just had a big old baby. I know that look well. LOL. (The hell if you'd have seen me posing for pictures for People magazine a few days after birthing a big baby, though.)

My dad is 6 & a half feet tall and my husband's great-grandfather was 6'7" - we have lots of tall people in our families and both hubby and I are above average height. None of the Duggars and their in-laws look like particularly large people, but damn...they have some large babies.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, Boofish said:

The picture on the People magazine website -  Joy does not look well. She has a heavy yellowish hue to her skin like she has jaundice.

I think either Jessa or Jana tried to fix her up a bit for pictures using their makeup and put the wrong foundation color on her. Joy doesn't fake bake so it looks like her face is a totally different color than her body. 

• Love 21

I like the name Gideon. I used to babysit a Gideon (in the late 70s).

My first baby was 10 lbs. 3 oz. as well! He was born 13 days late via c-section after failure to progress. He was so big, he held his head up on his own, and he immediately wore 3 mos. clothes. Also, the newborn diapers we'd stocked up on were too small!

They say subsequent babies are bigger, but I had three more, all smaller than the one before! My fourth was 7 lbs. 30 oz. - three pounds less than number one!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I think either Jessa or Jana tried to fix her up a bit for pictures using their makeup and put the wrong foundation color on her. Joy doesn't fake bake so it looks like her face is a totally different color than her body. 

You're right.  In the picture where she is tilting her head down, you can see where the foundation stops and the skin around her part is lighter than her face.  She is wearing a cheap foundation that is also too dark and it oxidized.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Boofish said:

The picture on the People magazine website -  Joy does not look well. She has a heavy yellowish hue to her skin like she has jaundice.  But man oh man that baby is super duper cute

Whoever put makeup on her chose the wrong color. And she looks tired (of course). 

Here's hoping Joy is more like Jessa as a mom than Jill. Remember when people thought Jill would be a great mom and Jessa would be like Mullet? Weren't they ever wrong. 

• Love 11

Cute baby and glad all seemed to go well.

One of the pictures has their kitchen in the background. I know she’d be home by now, but I do wonder if she had a home birth. Has anything been said one way or the other?

3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Cute baby and glad all seemed to go well.

One of the pictures has their kitchen in the background. I know she’d be home by now, but I do wonder if she had a home birth. Has anything been said one way or the other?

No. There's evidence that they were planning a homebirth, but people say he looks like he's in a hospital bassinet. 

14 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I'm glad they Mother and Son are healthy and safe. He is super cute! I don't thin ALL newborns are. LOL! But when I first saw the photo I read, "Little Duggar" instead of "Little Digger." 

I think that's deliberate. Like someone saw it in a store and decided to buy it. They chose it for the photoshoot because Digger is very similar to Duggar. 

A sudty ocne siad our brians are wried so taht we can raed txet mesesd up like tihs if the frsit and lsat lteter saty the smae. 

(A study once said our brains are wired so that we can read text messed up like this if the first and last letter stay the same.) We can also mistake words that end in the first and last letter or sound similar. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

This is a YMMV situation. My first was almost 9 pounds.  I delivered her vaginally and she tore me wide open. It took me 18 months to recover.  My second was 7.5 pounds, I had a c-section and it has been 2 months and I'm fully healed. My c-section was SOOOO much better than my vaginal birth.  

Either way for Joy, I hope she had whatever works best for her.  But my vag still cringes thinking about pushing out a 10 pounder.

I preferred my vbac deliveries over my csection, even the 11 lb baby born face up, but I had no tearing. I get super defensive when people make cringe-faces over large babies. I know women who had major tears with 6 lb babies,  too. It really has as mucj to do with tissue elasticity,  rate of descent,  birthing position, and perineal stretching as size of the baby.

Knowing how hard it was to be a first time mom while recovering from major surgery, I hope either she had an easy vaginal birth or, if it was a cs that she gets tons of extra help.

• Love 11

Wowsers, Gideon is a big one! I agree @Jynnan tonnix, he has Austin's nose. Part of me hopes it was a c-section because Joy is so young and naive and probably had no idea about what actually happens to a woman's body when they give birth.

I had a 7 1/2 lber who came out looking like a fighter who lost a match and my lady parts felt like a fighter who lost a match.

Gideon is a great name. A win for Joy. But Giddy kinda sucks for a nickname.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, louannems said:

Oh Jessa!  Can even you upstage the name  Gideon?  Oh wait, Spurgeon!

Joyless had 9 whole months to come up with a name but she named the kid one of the worst names ever. WHY? Horrible!!!!!!! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Technically everyone was at least 19 when they got married and Kendra is the first 19-year-old mother.  Joy was 19 when she announced she was pregnan

I was thinking of Marge, too.

• Love 1

My friend is a few weeks away from delivery, and she says her OB is less concerned about weight (as long as it's above 5 pounds) than head size, and shoulder width. That's what she looks out for, and over a certain head circumference, she recommends a section, even if the predicted birth weight is in the 'normal' range.

Gideon is a nice enough name, and he is cute.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Gideon is a great name. A win for Joy. But Giddy kinda sucks for a nickname.

Yeah, but since anything beats Spurgeon/Spurgie, every other Duggar-related kid in this generation so far can count itself lucky, no matter what nickname is pinned on it. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Joyless had 9 whole months to come up with a name but she named the kid one of the worst names ever. WHY? Horrible!!!!!!! 

Gideon isn't a bad name, especially in the biblical/bible thumper names category. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, hlnfn74 said:

coming out of lurkdom to say that People has news of baby Forsyth's birth. 10lb 3oz baby boy, born the 23rd

I knew it - that's my birthday & I'm not too happy to share with a Duggar.  My husband & Josh have same birthday. 

Just kidding (mostly). Hope everything went well. That's a big boy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mom2two said:

I think she gave birth vaginally, as how she is sitting and holding the baby.   With a C-section I dont think she would be sitting up like that.    Also she would still look pretty pregnant.

Oh I didn't think about that.  But yea, most of the women that I've known that have c-sections aren't sitting up that well a couple of days later.  And if the photos were released today - the 26th, they had to be taken either the 24 or 25th if the baby was born on the 23rd.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Oh I didn't think about that.  But yea, most of the women that I've known that have c-sections aren't sitting up that well a couple of days later.  And if the photos were released today - the 26th, they had to be taken either the 24 or 25th if the baby was born on the 23rd.  

They're not at a hospital in the photos, except maybe that one photo of the baby. If she had been in a hospital, they would probably not have released her until yesterday the 25th. I say probably, because in some states it's legal for hospitals to send a woman home before 48hours (Not in New York, Alabama etc. I'm not sure where it is legal and where it is not.)

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Temperance said:

They're not at a hospital in the photos, except maybe that one photo of the baby. If she had been in a hospital, they would probably not have released her until yesterday the 25th. I say probably, because in some states it's legal for hospitals to send a woman home before 48hours (Not in New York, Alabama etc. I'm not sure where it is legal and where it is not.)

I left the hospital in AZ approximately less than 16 hours after giving birth to my daughter....and would've left gladly earlier if they could have gotten the paperwork completed sooner...now with my son, it was different because he was in NICU so I camped as long as possible....

• Love 3

In the video, Joy mentioned setting up the birthing pool, so we know they wanted to try for a homebith.  But the baby is pictured in a hospital bassinet, so she must have ended up in the hospital.

I do wish they'd tell us how it went down, but not a word was said about Sammy's birth, so who knows!

Joy also mentioned putting up beds in the spare bedroom, so I reckon that's for the auntie moms to stay and help.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm not sure what you mean by " and I delivered every one of them" TLC had Michelle saying that, because it included a few c-sections.  I also would think no less of a woman who gave birth by c-section than one who gave birth vaginally. 

I have always thought the quote meant that she gave birth to all her children, meaning that none of them are adopted, not how they came into the world. 

2 hours ago, mom2two said:

I think she gave birth vaginally, as how she is sitting and holding the baby.   With a C-section I dont think she would be sitting up like that.    Also she would still look pretty pregnant.

I guess I was lucky with my C-section. Don't remember having any problems sitting & holding the baby.  Now bending over was another thing. That I had to do very slowly. I was also allowed to carry the baby up and down the 6 stairs in our split level home. 

• Love 6

Most regulations regarding hospital stays for births, surgeries, etc are about requiring insurers to pay for a minimum stay. Meaning hospitals can't do 'drive through' surgeries to reduce cost. So even with a c-section, depending on time of birth and health of mom, Joy could be home already.

• Love 2

Good Lord, that is a huge baby! The Duggar babies are easily twice the size of the Tuesday family!! But he is a cutie and I love the name Gideon. I figured they would announce today as well and I knew as soon as I saw how many posts I was missing that he was born. I think he looks like the perfect mix of his parents. I am also very glad he is a boy but I'm worried for him that he will be forced into labor too early. All of the kids seem to be and that's truly sad.

So now we're onto guessing who has the next pregnancy announcement and so forth. Sorry, Gideon, your time in the spotlight is already up. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

Gideon isn't a bad name, especially in the biblical/bible thumper names category. 

Gideon is Doogie Howser's (Neil Patrick Harris) bay-be son's name. I hope the Duggars know that. I've never heard anyone else name their son that.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

I have a feeling TLC may be filming but what gets released is going to depend on how bad the Duggars look in the situation. No details about Sam meant another botched homebirth and emergency C-section. They kept mum because they knew the backlash would've been insane if Jill admitted to playing Russian Roulette with her baby's life for a second time. 

If Joy had a smooth delivery in her plastic pool, we'll get footage. If she had complications, we won't see anything.

• Love 16

Le Sigh. Joy is wearing two layers of clothes in case she defrauds....her husband? Her SON?!

My baby was born 6 weeks ago and I'm wearing as little as possible/nothing on top while we're learning to breastfeed.

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Jill...if you self proclaim yourself as the favorite aunt of a baby that can barely keep his eyes open then you are showing your desperation for love and validation by calling dibs on a 3 day old baby

Aunt Jana probably would end up being his favorite aunt since she probably will be helping take care of the little guy more than his other aunts.