Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Wow, InTouch really has it out for them, don't they? I think Austin is a dick, but I don't think he's physically or verbally abusing Joy. I'm sure he'll be smacking Gideon once he's old enough to be blanket trained, but hopefully the kid's safe for now.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, madpsych78 said:

Agreed. I like Joe. Joy didn't say that he "showed her the way" to her parent's beliefs, just that he was a friend during those times, so I'm going to believe that that was what he was doing - not trying to force her to believe one way or the other.

I agree.  It's probably difficult to have any sympathetic ear in a family where conformity is the norm.  I had always speculated that she was in the THs during "...And Counting" with her older sisters because they wanted her to be more girly-girl (and, from what I recall, she never seemed to be pleased to be a part of the THs), but I'm wondering if it was instead about this "doubtful" time...interesting.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I completely agree with you.  Also, doctors and nurses are mandatory reporters for abuse.  I could see a man not wanting his wife or daughter to spend time alone with medical professionals without his presence.  Who knows what could be said while the examination is going on. 

I'll just point out the obvious ....

Most hospitals and doctors aren't allowing patients to record the births for broadcast anymore.  Even the Teen Mom people can't get around this one.  They'd previously have a parent/spouse/whatever in the room filming on their cell but they can't even get away with audio of the occassion anymore.  Hence the home births.  No recording restrictions means you can package up that VSE without any legal issues. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 4/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Heathen said:

What is it about fundies and the word "sharing"? I'd like to SHARE a thesaurus (or maybe the palm of my hand) with them. Quit acting like you're doing the world a favor by SHARING your story, fundies. Concentrate on becoming better people instead of pleasing your imaginary friend. 

There is kind of a millenial thing. People share their stories. Usually it's more in line with say the metoo movement where assault survivors tell what had happened to them to raise awareness. If these people are rich and famous, they share their stories and give money to that cause. I've also seen people use  "Thank you for sharing you story" sarcastically when people overshare or make a big deal out of nothing. 

It also seems to have come from schools among mainstream society. Little kids share stories about the weekend. Kids caught whispering are asked "Anything you want to share with the class?"

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I went down the rabbit hole of fortrock camp.  The marriage retreat is $275.  Plus $100 for each adult.  Oh and nursing babies up to 18 months are allowed to come, but no other children so you can focus on yourselves and your marraige.  So tack on babysitting fees ir you don't have a sister mom.  Plus the cabins offer 2 twin sets of bunkbeds and a queen size bed, but you have to bring all your own sheets, towels, blankets and pillows. - seriously????  Oh and someone asked about food restraints and allergies.  Bring a cooler and you can use our microwave - we don't alter our menu.  

I feel ever so welcomed.  Geesh and folks sign up for this crap?  Plus is you want to stay an extra day, that's another fee, depending on if you are in your own RV or your own tent or you need a cabin.  And check in is Friday between530 and 730 pm but they're not providing dinner, just some snacks.  SERIOUSLY????  You've not providing dinner at dinner time.  Morons, the lot of them.

In their defense (feeling the need to stab myself in the eye), it IS a camp....for Fundies. I know I've stayed at a couple Military Rec areas where we had to bring all our own crap for the facility; however we didn't pay that sort of price tag either. But you know,  fools and money.

• Love 11
(edited)
9 minutes ago, asuwur said:

In their defense (feeling the need to stab myself in the eye), it IS a camp....for Fundies. I know I've stayed at a couple Military Rec areas where we had to bring all our own crap for the facility; however we didn't pay that sort of price tag either. But you know,  fools and money.

True, one of my favorites camps we stay at, we have to bring our linens but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than that, even counting on food provided, and it's in Yosemite.  Plus it annoyed me that they show pictures of their accomadations with the beds all made up with pretty quilts and such.  Just show them the way they are going to look when I get there.

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I went down the rabbit hole of fortrock camp.  The marriage retreat is $275.  Plus $100 for each adult.  Oh and nursing babies up to 18 months are allowed to come, but no other children so you can focus on yourselves and your marraige.  So tack on babysitting fees ir you don't have a sister mom.  Plus the cabins offer 2 twin sets of bunkbeds and a queen size bed, but you have to bring all your own sheets, towels, blankets and pillows. - seriously????  Oh and someone asked about food restraints and allergies.  Bring a cooler and you can use our microwave - we don't alter our menu.  

I feel ever so welcomed.  Geesh and folks sign up for this crap?  Plus is you want to stay an extra day, that's another fee, depending on if you are in your own RV or your own tent or you need a cabin.  And check in is Friday between530 and 730 pm but they're not providing dinner, just some snacks.  SERIOUSLY????  You've not providing dinner at dinner time.  Morons, the lot of them.

So for a vacation I have to bring all of my own linens, god forbid I have dietary restrictions then I have to bring my own food and microwave it for the week? Geez that sounds like, uh....HOME.

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

So for a vacation I have to bring all of my own linens, god forbid I have dietary restrictions then I have to bring my own food and microwave it for the week? Geez that sounds like, uh....HOME.

Well, it's not HOME because they allow you the privilege of PAYING THEM to do this!   How amazing is that?   <furiously looking up site to register.. NOT>

• Love 13

I wonder if the Duggar Girls follow the rules of sexual activity can resume 40 days after a boy if the birth was a C- Section..if so...Joy's time is up and Forsyth Baby #2 will be conceived as soon as she starts ovulating.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

I wonder if the Duggar Girls follow the rules of sexual activity can resume 40 days after a boy if the birth was a C- Section..if so...Joy's time is up and Forsyth Baby #2 will be conceived as soon as she starts ovulating.

I forgot all about their specific waiting period rules for boy & girls births. I agree with you, baby #2 will be on its way before we know it unless nursing slows things down.  I don't like Austin for various reasons.  I think he's like JB in thinking the more kids they have, the more manly he thinks he is.

Edited by Barb23
Repetition
  • Love 3

I hope for Joys sake her body is kind to her and gives her a break during breast feeding so she can enjoy Giddy for awhile without having to resume duties of being a birth machine....

• Love 12
On 4/6/2018 at 8:03 PM, DragonFaerie said:

Also barely-making-it-financially morons, I expect, given what you've said here. 

Note how quickly Joy's picture went up on the family camp website after the courting announcement. Gotta get those Duggar-adjacency bucks comin' in. Because our judgie mcjudgerson campground business isn't doing so hot. I swear that every single person that's married into Duggardom -- or his or her family -- has a financial ulterior motive of some kind.

• Love 18
On 4/4/2018 at 8:13 AM, bigskygirl said:

You mean a Duggar daughter could be taking care of her own child by herself without a sister-mom around. You could knock me over with a feather.

Yes because all of the sister-moms are on hold for Jinger.

12 hours ago, nan said:

Not so much those without access to care, but those that have chosen no prenatal care and show up expecting everyone to cater to their birth plan.  I think the Bates' have been able to do filming because they do prenatal care and have dr and hospital onboard prior to showing up in the ER with a complicated birth. surely no hospital would allow a film crew in after 20 hrs or 50 hrs of home labor for a patient in an emergency situation.

This really makes sense.  The ER is a super busy place (know from experience) that I can't imagine a camera crew being allowed to follow a patient in, no matter who they are. Same with the Labor & Delivery unit where I know security is a top priority too.

• Love 3
On 4/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, laurakaye said:

Are we supposed to think that Joy wrote the above post, since she "signed off" on it with her name after the Bible verse?  Or does Joy just babble what she thinks she wants to say and then Austin types it up his way and signs for her?

I feel mean saying this, but it was so hard for me to picture Joy having typed that. It's written far more clearly and intelligently than she ever speaks. 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:05 PM, Caracoa1 said:

Ugh, I had forgotten about that Gothard/Duggar gem. Boob must have been so disappointed with all those girls in a row at the end having to wait 80 days instead of 40! It makes me angry, though, that an ancient ritual designed because women were viewed as twice as unclean as men, is still being touted in 2018.

• Love 10
On 4/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, Heathen said:

What is it about fundies and the word "sharing"? I'd like to SHARE a thesaurus (or maybe the palm of my hand) with them. Quit acting like you're doing the world a favor by SHARING your story, fundies. Concentrate on becoming better people instead of pleasing your imaginary friend. 

And the word SURREAL

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Libby96 said:

I am sure I would learn so much listening to the sharing of kids young enough to be my children about their less than year old marriage.  Please.

Even as a Christian myself I just don't see the obsession with these marriage workshops and marriage retreats.  It's like there is some belief that marriages are under atrack and it is all just such hard work.  For just $499 you can spend a romantic weekend with your spouse taking notes on how to keep your marriage alive!

I'm not saying marriages don't need attention, but I kind of operate from the standpoint that my life is easier with my husband than without him.

But go right ahead, Joy and Austin.  Share that wisdom.

Great post!

Joy & Austin will be held in higher esteem at the seminar because of them also being parents. I'm sure they will be sharing both marriage & baby wisdom. Ugh!

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

Yeah, I always got the vibe Joy started an Instagram account because she thinks it's what you're supposed to do as a young, married Fundie woman. She doesn't seem to live and breathe for it though, which is a refreshing change. I also wonder if she isn't a bit self-conscious. She gained a ton of weight with Gideon and judging by recent pictures it hasn't begun to fall off yet. If she's tired and not feeling great, it might help explain the lack of enthusiasm over posting pictures.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, I always got the vibe Joy started an Instagram account because she thinks it's what you're supposed to do as a young, married Fundie woman. She doesn't seem to live and breathe for it though, which is a refreshing change. I also wonder if she isn't a bit self-conscious. She gained a ton of weight with Gideon and judging by recent pictures it hasn't begun to fall off yet. If she's tired and not feeling great, it might help explain the lack of enthusiasm over posting pictures.

She's also very busty. Considering how she was raised, it would be surprising if she weren't self-conscious about her body now. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think the account is 100% Austin and she'd be more than happy to not have one. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I think the account is 100% Austin and she'd be more than happy to not have one. 

I think they both like getting the TLC money and having an instagram account helps promote the show/brand/themselves as stars.  I don't remember if Austin has ministry dreams or some other career dream where fame is an asset. If he has no or a low desire to be famous, the Instagram account and TLC might be done to appease her family and get some easy money for appearing on tv. In a couple years, maybe they'll tire of it and quit the show. If they quit, I bet they will do it more gracefully than Derick. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think they both like getting the TLC money and having an instagram account helps promote the show/brand/themselves as stars.  I don't remember if Austin has ministry dreams or some other career dream where fame is an asset. If he has no or a low desire to be famous, the Instagram account and TLC might be done to appease her family and get some easy money for appearing on tv. In a couple years, maybe they'll tire of it and quit the show. If they quit, I bet they will do it more gracefully than Derick. 

Austin hasn't expressed any particular ministry or missionary desires. I think he's happy flipping houses, and I think they're mostly into the show because the exposure and being local celebrities makes his real estate business more popular. 

• Love 7
On 4/24/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jenilane6 said:

Now that the weekend is over, I am wondering what they brought to the table.

Yes, was this the weekend they were supposed to share their wisdom about marriage?

• Love 2
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

It's "your dad and ME..."

Yet another SOTDRT FAIL. 

I was just going to say that!  Well, that baby looks clean and well fed and relatively happy, so there's that.  Can't speak to his future misery.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's "your dad and ME..."

Yet another SOTDRT FAIL. 

A lot of people with college educations don't use that properly, let alone people with shit-for-brains like the Duggars.

I know a middle school language arts teacher, who has a master's degree, who uses "people that," "my dad and I, and "myself and my husband."  It actually embarrasses me for her. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

He looks like his dad, that's all I've got.

At least he doesn't look like (yet another) Duggar clone?

I dunno, the first picture is rather creepy-looking, but the rest aren't so bad. At least he seems happy. And he's so little that the sheet in the first pic isn't being used for blanket training quite yet...

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

At least he doesn't look like (yet another) Duggar clone?

I dunno, the first picture is rather creepy-looking, but the rest aren't so bad. At least he seems happy. And he's so little that the sheet in the first pic isn't being used for blanket training quite yet...

All I could come up with is he looks fairly happy.  Hold onto it tight little Giddyup, the free spirit will be blanket trained outta ya.

• Love 4

Well, he's got his mom's wide-set eyes and his dad's "nostrils." And the rest of Josie's face in at least one of the shots. Spurgeon still wins cutest spawn award (by a long shot, IMO). At least now Gideon's clothes fit.

• Love 2
On 4/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, Libby96 said:

I am sure I would learn so much listening to the sharing of kids young enough to be my children about their less than year old marriage.  Please.

Even as a Christian myself I just don't see the obsession with these marriage workshops and marriage retreats.  It's like there is some belief that marriages are under atrack and it is all just such hard work.  For just $499 you can spend a romantic weekend with your spouse taking notes on how to keep your marriage alive!

I'm not saying marriages don't need attention, but I kind of operate from the standpoint that my life is easier with my husband than without him.

But go right ahead, Joy and Austin.  Share that wisdom.

It's a Fundie indoctrination thing. Have teenagers tell other teenagers how AWESOME it is to be married!  Cuz, how you gonna keep em down on the fundie farm if you dont saddle them with a family before they can look around and think "There's got to be more to life."

19 hours ago, Heathen said:

A lot of people with college educations don't use that properly, let alone people with shit-for-brains like the Duggars.

I know a middle school language arts teacher, who has a master's degree, who uses "people that," "my dad and I, and "myself and my husband."  It actually embarrasses me for her. 

People who use "I" and "myself"  where "me" is correct are trying too hard to sound smart. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, MamaMax said:

It's a Fundie indoctrination thing. Have teenagers tell other teenagers how AWESOME it is to be married!  Cuz, how you gonna keep em down on the fundie farm if you dont saddle them with a family before they can look around and think "There's got to be more to life."

People who use "I" and "myself"  where "me" is correct are trying too hard to sound smart. 

What really makes me crazy is that it's so widespread that I find myself hesitating to use it correctly for fear that three quarters of the people I'm talking to will think I'm the one with poor language skills. I generally end up going with some sentence structure that will allow me to just say "we". I don't think people are necessarily trying to "sound smart", though. I think it's more that when we are learning to talk, somehow incorrect usage of, say, "my friend and me" is corrected more than incorrect usage of "my friend and I". Probably because a sentence like "my friend and me went to the store" is much more likely to come out of a child's mouth than "they threw a party for my friend and me", so the impression becomes one of feeling that "me" is pretty much always going to be wrong when you are talking about yourself and another person, and they just learn to substitute "I" in both cases because they don't understand the underlying rules. 

To be honest, I don't think I could actually explain what the grammatical rules are myself, never having had the patience to learn them - I just learned grammar through being a voracious reader for the most part, and generally managed to get it right - but the trick of simply taking the other person out of the sentence and then seeing whether it sounds better with "me" or "I" is so simple that it's amazing that so many people seem never to have heard of it.

Mostly it seems that only people with a real feeling for language are the ones who  get hives from it these days, though

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

What really makes me crazy is that it's so widespread that I find myself hesitating to use it correctly for fear that three quarters of the people I'm talking to will think I'm the one with poor language skills. I generally end up going with some sentence structure that will allow me to just say "we". I don't think people are necessarily trying to "sound smart", though. I think it's more that when we are learning to talk, somehow incorrect usage of, say, "my friend and me" is corrected more than incorrect usage of "my friend and I". Probably because a sentence like "my friend and me went to the store" is much more likely to come out of a child's mouth than "they threw a party for my friend and me", so the impression becomes one of feeling that "me" is pretty much always going to be wrong when you are talking about yourself and another person, and they just learn to substitute "I" in both cases because they don't understand the underlying rules. 

To be honest, I don't think I could actually explain what the grammatical rules are myself, never having had the patience to learn them - I just learned grammar through being a voracious reader for the most part, and generally managed to get it right - but the trick of simply taking the other person out of the sentence and then seeing whether it sounds better with "me" or "I" is so simple that it's amazing that so many people seem never to have heard of it.

Mostly it seems that only people with a real feeling for language are the ones who  get hives from it these days, though

Agree.  totally.  Awesome.  That's how I do it too. #genius

• Love 5