Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, floridamom said:

Yes, sleepysuzy, I remember reading the Duggar/Ruark family history. It's posted 'out there' somewhere. Both Jim Bob and Michelle's ancestors came to this land in the 1600s and 1700s. They have been in the USA for eons. They are of "Great Britain"-like ancestry, English, Irish, etc.

Please, God, please don't let me be related to these people, though the timing and source are the same for their family as they are for mine. . .

• Love 8
On 4/28/2018 at 12:04 PM, sleepysuzy said:

My family produces huge babies. The neonatologist told me that some women's bodies create super-efficient placenta that feed the baby better. My girls were all born in the 38th week of pregnancy,  and they were 9 lbs 8 oz, 11 lbs, and 10 lbs 10 oz. The placentas were over 2lbs each time.

My 11 lb daughter spent a month in a NICU due to a lung disease, and she looked so out of place surrounded by tiny micropremies. Now she is 3.5 years old and only in the 20th percentile, short and skinny.

I have a cousins who had two sets of twins 18 months apart. They were all 7.5 lbs - 9 lbs each, so she was carrying over 15 lbs if baby.

Considering the size of some of her nephews at birth,  my guess is the Duggar girls are super-gestaters like my family. 

Daaamn, my brother's birth weight *plus* my birthweight wasn't even ten pounds. Granted, my mam is 4'9" and when she was at term with me she just barely went over 105lb, but I've heard of other small women having huge kids and I just reaaaallllllyyyy hope I take after my mom on this one. Jeebus. 

• Love 2
On 5/3/2018 at 6:37 PM, xwordfanatik said:

He's definitely a unique looking baby, and he does seem happy :)

Austin is not bad-looking IMO, and it's nice that he resembles dad instead of his Grandpas.  

Wouldn't it be nice if the headships of all these female Duggars gave the OK for birth control?  Forget the male Duggars; I'm pretty sure they want to emulate Boob :(

Austin and Joy spoke on camera very recently about trusting god with the size of their family. They're pretty steeped in the quiverfull doctrine, it would seem. On the other hand, Jinger has been silent on the issue, which may speak volumes.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Joy, GET A HAIRCUT!!!!! I love her dress and she could look so good if she didn't have that scraggly mane covering her entire face.

As far as Austin, damn. Your wife carried a huge baby, spent a miserable 20+ hours in labor ending in a c-section and all you can say is you admire her love for Christ? I'm hoping he just isn't a natural at social media and said something more personal behind the scenes.

Hey now, she has an amazing character too! (I assume this means she isn't tempted by heathen haircuts and the like). 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Joy, GET A HAIRCUT!!!!! I love her dress and she could look so good if she didn't have that scraggly mane covering her entire face.

As far as Austin, damn. Your wife carried a huge baby, spent a miserable 20+ hours in labor ending in a c-section and all you can say is you admire her love for Christ? I'm hoping he just isn't a natural at social media and said something more personal behind the scenes.

Same thing I thought.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Note the matching outfits. 

Not very matching, more like mutually springy. It's odd that Joy has her hand on Nostrils' abdomen rather than on their baby. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It may be the same jacket and pants but not the same tie. Although, Austin looks nice being color coordinated with Joy and those were their wedding colors.

ETA: I don't know what Austin wore in Joe's wedding, but he wasn't in the party.

ETA2: Did the JoKen wedding just recycle the guys' suits from Joystin's wedding because they seriously look the same. Only the ties are different.

Edited by madpsych78
3 hours ago, Heathen said:

Not very matching, more like mutually springy. It's odd that Joy has her hand on Nostrils' abdomen rather than on their baby. 

We must have different color on our screens. On mine Austin's tie is the exact color of Joy's rose petals and his suit is the exact color of the background blue of her dress.... I hope your screen has the right colors because the totally-matchy-matchy thing drives me nuts. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

It may be the same jacket and pants but not the same tie. Although, Austin looks nice being color coordinated with Joy and those were their wedding colors.

ETA: I don't know what Austin wore in Joe's wedding, but he wasn't in the party.

ETA2: Did the JoKen wedding just recycle the guys' suits from Joystin's wedding because they seriously look the same. Only the ties are different.

Austin's groomsmen actually wore grey suits with navy ties and a Joe's groomsmen wore navy suits with pink ties. 

Joe, Austin, Ben, and Jeremy all wore navy blue suits on their wedding, it made me a bit confused, too. I swore they had recycled at least one of the suits.Screenshot_20180514-153023.thumb.jpg.fa64a33e2511cdf1791599a371851635.jpg

Screenshot_20180514-154202.thumb.jpg.6b1c7cbb307ec7561f0624b6cf660f05.jpg

• Love 1

Ahhh, thanks for the reminder. I forgot that Austin's groomsman wore a different colored suit than Austin. But seriously, I feel like they are recycling the blue and gray suits. I think only Smuggar wore a black suit, yes?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

We must have different color on our screens. On mine Austin's tie is the exact color of Joy's rose petals and his suit is the exact color of the background blue of her dress.... I hope your screen has the right colors because the totally-matchy-matchy thing drives me nuts. 

I tried on my Mac and on a PC. Her flowers are more pink; his tie is more beige; the blues are different. The overall effect is "matching" done by people who don't care all that much and put little effort into it. 

Nostrils' shoes or boots look like shit. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I tried on my Mac and on a PC. Her flowers are more pink; his tie is more beige; the blues are different. The overall effect is "matching" done by people who don't care all that much and put little effort into it. 

That's the big thing I noticed.  If you're going to put on a suit and tie, get out the shoe polish and shine your shoes!

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Man, I knew I had kind of dicey color but it's WAY off. On mine, the two outfits completely blend into one another and his tie is the exact color of her lighter petals. .... 

So I guess they're matchy matchy but bad matchy matchy. Don't know if that's worse or better. lol

• Love 6
(edited)

Many churches have baby dedication on Mother’s Day.  (Think christening, but without the gown and holy water).  That might be why Joy and Austin are coordinated, if they did Gideon’s dedication on Sunday. 

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 8

I'm seeing the same color scheme as you @Churchhoney

I hope Joy vacuums a lot. Wee ones can get unnoticeable hair wrapped around their fingers and toes to the point of cutting off circulation. I guess the Duggars might know this since the odds of it happening over the years were pretty significant, between all the babies and hair in the TTH.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, BitterApple said:

They are all like this. It is  all about Christ 24/365/7 with these people.

I will say that Joy, other than her hair, looked nice, esp. for a Duggar.  I contrast that photo of the 3 of them on Mother's day with Jill and Derilick's with barefeet, open mouths, and the kids in t-shirts.  Do Jill and Dumbarse go to Sunday services?  It seems they only go for special occasions?

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/15/2018 at 7:04 AM, GeeGolly said:

I hope Joy vacuums a lot. Wee ones can get unnoticeable hair wrapped around their fingers and toes to the point of cutting off circulation. I guess the Duggars might know this since the odds of it happening over the years were pretty significant, between all the babies and hair in the TTH.

My sister had to take my then infant niece to the pediatricians to get the hair cut off that was wrapped tightly around her toe.  My sister couldn't figure out why she wouldn't stop crying & then found it.  You're right, with all that long Duggar hair you think it would have happened at least a few times.

I like the picture but Austin could have put more examples of Joy being a mother since it was Mother's Day.  The message could be the same for her birthday or their anniversary by substituting different holidays in place of Mothers Day. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6
On 5/15/2018 at 6:04 AM, GeeGolly said:

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

My sister had to take my then infant niece to the pediatricians to get the hair cut off that was wrapped tightly around her toe.  My sister couldn't figure out why she wouldn't stop crying & then found it.  You're right, with all that long Duggar hair you think it would have happened at least a few times.

I like the picture but Austin could have put more examples of Joy being a mother since it was Mother's Day.  The message could be the same for her birthday or their anniversary by substituting different holidays in place of Mothers Day. 

I consider myself an educated person with a decent amount of infant care experience but I have never heard of this. (Of course I believe you but I’m very surprised!)

Is this situation more likely to happen in families where there are people with straight (long) hair compared to curly or textured hair?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I consider myself an educated person with a decent amount of infant care experience but I have never heard of this. (Of course I believe you but I’m very surprised!)

Is this situation more likely to happen in families where there are people with straight (long) hair compared to curly or textured hair?

I'm not sure Google hair tourniquet. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Caracoa1 said:

Did Nostrils ever say what his stance was on letting Joy where pants?

I don’t think he’s ever said publicly.  Joy has said his preference is dresses so she wants to keep wearing dresses.  I don’t think we’ve seen his sister in pants.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Normades said:

Well if he prefers dresses, then by all means he should wear them!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll show myself out.

I'm honored to be the 25th heart, and highlight your post.  LOL, off to the Prayer Closet, with red wine in hand.

• Love 9
On 5/14/2018 at 5:25 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Geez Austin, put on a decent pair of shoes to go with that suit. Those things look like they went through a war.

I guess buying nice shoes makes sense if you wear them weekly. We don’t “dress up” for church and the sons feet are still growing....

He may have worn his black band shoes few times he needed “nice shoes” this year. 

However, they seem to dress for church regularly and Austin’s feet shouldn’t be growing so he should be able to swing a new pair. 

• Love 6

My bet is shoes are not on his radar. Those are his church/dress up shoes and since he doesn't wear them for work, to him they're "nice" however they may actually look. 

• Love 5

I would think, given their Fundie culture that they would be attending church 1-2 times a week.  The fundies I knew growing up, not only did Sunday morning but often Wed evenings as well.  And surely he has dress shoes from his wedding that he could wear????

• Love 2
On 5/18/2018 at 11:42 PM, Zella said:

LOL When I was going to an uber-conservative Christian college, I once had some dipshit guy at a dining hall table tell me that women should wear high heels to look more attractive to men while he disapprovingly looking at me in my comfortable tennis shoes. I blurted out, "You first!" What ensued was the most uncomfortably silent meal of my life, but it was worth every minute. :) 

You are awesome! I only wish you'd gone a step further and educated him about how truly bad for your body they are. They cause significant foot and back issues and it's just infuriating that there are many modern cases of women being told they are required to wear them for work, and being turned away from high class film festivals for not wearing them. That probably wouldn't have stopped him, though. I remember when my gem of an ex boyfriend found out I wanted breast reduction surgery. It was incomprehensible to him that any woman could ever do such a thing. I informed him that their weight was very uncomfortable, with or without a bra, I was having back pain, and trouble sleeping especially when they got sore every month because of their sheer bulk. It just didn't compute with him. My personal discomfort wasn't even a consideration, only that "his" breasts were in jeopardy. 

So the guy who said that to you probably would have had a similar reaction. Who cares if high heels are treacherous -- I like seeing women in them so they need to do it to please me. Gross.

• Love 15

Who wears DIRTY cowboy boots with a dress suit? Only this group. I agree that those boots are a bad choice. I would think adults know that you don't wear boots with a dress suit...but then I remember what family we're dealing with here. Josie has worn ill-fitting cowboy boots ON THE WRONG FEET and with a thin sun dress no less. These kids get dressed in the dark it seems.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Who wears DIRTY cowboy boots with a dress suit? Only this group. I agree that those boots are a bad choice. I would think adults know that you don't wear dirty boots with a dress suit...but then I remember what family we're dealing with here. Josie has worn ill-fitting cowboy boots ON THE WRONG FEET and with a thin sun dress no less. These kids get dressed in the dark it seems.

There. Fixed it for ya.

Plenty of fine men wear boots with dress suits. Very fine men. And, clean, well-kept boots. 

• Love 6
On 5/18/2018 at 9:15 PM, madpsych78 said:

I love how the name Nostrils has stuck.

Yesterday I was mindlessly scrolling through Pickles' photo feed and came across a picture of Joy and Austin with Austin's sister that I had never seen before.  I thought I was totally looking at something photoshopped, because if you put a long wig on Austin, he IS his sister.  The Nostril game is strong in that family!

• Love 5

Just a quick thought, I look at Austin and sometimes believe he is in the wrong religion.  Austin always looks as though he's about to say, "Quit pawing at me, woman!  I've a barn to raise and you've got some butter to churn!  Make haste while the suns up!"

• Love 14
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Just a quick thought, I look at Austin and sometimes believe he is in the wrong religion.  Austin always looks as though he's about to say, "Quit pawing at me, woman!  I've a barn to raise and you've got some butter to churn!  Make haste while the suns up!"

I would think this is a symptom of never really getting enough affection or attention in the TTH. Joy is probably so starved for some affection she is always on him.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, becca3891 said:

You are awesome! I only wish you'd gone a step further and educated him about how truly bad for your body they are. They cause significant foot and back issues and it's just infuriating that there are many modern cases of women being told they are required to wear them for work, and being turned away from high class film festivals for not wearing them. That probably wouldn't have stopped him, though. I remember when my gem of an ex boyfriend found out I wanted breast reduction surgery. It was incomprehensible to him that any woman could ever do such a thing. I informed him that their weight was very uncomfortable, with or without a bra, I was having back pain, and trouble sleeping especially when they got sore every month because of their sheer bulk. It just didn't compute with him. My personal discomfort wasn't even a consideration, only that "his" breasts were in jeopardy. 

So the guy who said that to you probably would have had a similar reaction. Who cares if high heels are treacherous -- I like seeing women in them so they need to do it to please me. Gross.

Thanks! :)

Yes, that would have been the adult response! I'm pretty hot-headed when I get mad, though, so I just sort of went berserk at the idea this gormless worm was going to lecture me about my appearance. LOL Now that I'm a little older and wiser and just the slightest bit less hot-tempered, I might have had the presence of mind to try to explain why. But I imagine, like the guy you're talking about, he wouldn't have cared. 

• Love 1