Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Yes, I agree with floridamom that Joy didn't seem happy. That was some weird video for me.

Gideon isn't conventionally cute, but he can still change. I don't want to talk about skinny, because my son was like that. Just didn't want to eat and didn't care for food. He is 4 now, and still the same. It's frustrating when you can't feed your baby, he just does not want to eat

Again, not from America so learning opportunity... that chair is ok for the baby? Isn't he too young for it? 

Here they do not encourage babies to sit until they sit themselves up. Mine is 6 and a half month, still not near that. So no sitting for her, not even with support of pillows or chairs. 

Giddy isn't a conventionally cute little baby, he's one of those goofy looking smiley ones; which I think are the best kind.  He's adorable in a silly way.

We don't know that Joy left him alone in the car and I would bet that she didn't.  A kid his age left alone in a car while awake is probably going to be screaming and he doesn't look like he's at all unhappy.  I am sure the AC was on the whole time because, in that kind of heat, a baby can be in danger in less than 10 minutes.  Both Joy and Austin grew up in that weather, they know better.

The chair he's sitting in is called a Bumbo (Bugaboo is a stroller) and it is made to help a baby who is just getting to the age of being able to sit to sit in a stable position as long as he or she has control of their neck. It's got a soft body that holds his legs and back and a seat belt.  He's fine in it, however, as noted above, it is supposed to be placed on the floor since an active baby can get it rocking and it can tumble off an elevated surface.  I would hope that, while it was sitting on the car seat, Joy was sitting right next to him to be sure he didn't fall off the edge. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

Maybe Joy worked while Austin ate his lunch and watched Gideon. 

That’s what I’m thinking.  That would give Austin a chance to cool off, and Giddyup may have had his lunch too which explains the bumbo seat.  She might be a bit dense but I don’t think she’d leave him in the hot car alone.  His carseat is in the back so maybe he napped while Joy worked.  He hadn’t been in the sun in that picture since he didn’t look flushed.  

The baby is clean and appears happy, so I’m sure he’s well cared for.  Joy didn’t seem unhappy to me; more like she hadn’t planned on having to work that day.  Perhaps Austin “surprised” her by letting her know she would be spreading gravel when she really just came to drop off the lunch.  Hey Duggar girls, it’s called a lunch bag.  Buy one and use it!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, irisheyes said:

My youngest was 9 1/2 lbs at birth, and in the 25%ile for weight by six months.  She ate, slept well, and hit all her milestones, so I never worried. Even at 7, she’s still pretty tiny. Birth size doesn’t really equate to body type. He looks happy and healthy, so I’m going to guess he’s ok.  

My third was 11 lbs and 23 inches at birth, born at only 38 weeks,  too. She is now 3 1/2 years old and has yet to triple her birth weight. She's short and has a tiny frame. Weight checks for the first year drove us nuts, but she is alert and meets all milestones, so eventually we got a pass on her size.

As long as Gideon is content and meeting developmental milestones, I wouldn't worry. I've worked with underfed infants, and they are usually lethargic, fussy,  and delayed in social and motor skills.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

First I thought that was a good idea but now the worry mom is coming out in me. I would never leave him alone even with A/c on & doors open & windows down.  Things happen.

Why couldn't she put a lightweight Tshirt on him? Bare baby skin against a plastic seat doesn't seem comfortable to me but at least he does look happy. 

I usually am a live and let live person and do not get involved with parental decisions.  There were 2 instances I did.  One about 10 yrs ago we were having a heat wave.  It was around 100.  I stopped at a butcher shop and noticed a baby alone in a car in his/her car seat and the sun beating down on the poor kid.  I was angry.  Like steam coming out of my ears angry and whipped into that butcher shop yelling who left their GD child in the car in the sun???!!!!  A grandma said the AC is on and I am only going to be a minute.  I told her in no uncertain terms she needs to either get her kid or I was calling the police.  It took me quite awhile to stop shaking.  The second was a few days ago.  I walk in the afternoon and my route takes me across a bridge that is over a creek bed.  A mom was waiting for the bus with her kids but the kids were playing in the dirt right above where there is a 20 foot drop onto lots of rocks (one was trying to slide down the concrete support for the bridge and slide too far, you are in the creek bed).  Dirt shifts, kids are majorly injured.  She kinda looked up from her phone and told them to knock it off.  Common sense is sadly not common.  

I really hope that Joy is careful with her kid(s).  I know you cannot protect them from everything but at least try and maybe use some brain cells.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

My third was 11 lbs and 23 inches at birth, born at only 38 weeks,  too. She is now 3 1/2 years old and has yet to triple her birth weight. She's short and has a tiny frame. Weight checks for the first year drove us nuts, but she is alert and meets all milestones, so eventually we got a pass on her size.

As long as Gideon is content and meeting developmental milestones, I wouldn't worry. I've worked with underfed infants, and they are usually lethargic, fussy,  and delayed in social and motor skills.

We don't know if the Duggars have health insurance or not.  I think we would all feel better if we were sure he was getting his regular doctor check ups.  Although didn't Jill post a picture from a pediatrician's office once?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

We don't know if the Duggars have health insurance or not.  I think we would all feel better if we were sure he was getting his regular doctor check ups.  Although didn't Jill post a picture from a pediatrician's office once?

Not a pediatrician office, but that quack doctor.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

She did, but it was Fedosky, the same "doctor" who lost his license and is now banned from treating children under 7.

• Love 7

Honestly, Joy always seems to have trouble showing emotion.  I can't tell if she's happy, resigned or miserable.  I do believe in the video the a/c in the car is running and she has that look of, Hey my darling hubby I brought you lunch before I head off to go to the grocery, do 5 loads of laundry and cook dinner, but wait, you want me to spread gravel for you while you eat lunch?  In my sandals?  With the first pedicure I've had in like a year?  Rolls eyes.  Greeeaaaaatttt..  Yea, just remember that next time you want your wife JOY to be Joyfully available.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Honestly, Joy always seems to have trouble showing emotion.  I can't tell if she's happy, resigned or miserable.  I do believe in the video the a/c in the car is running and she has that look of, Hey my darling hubby I brought you lunch before I head off to go to the grocery, do 5 loads of laundry and cook dinner, but wait, you want me to spread gravel for you while you eat lunch?  In my sandals?  With the first pedicure I've had in like a year?  Rolls eyes.  Greeeaaaaatttt..  Yea, just remember that next time you want your wife JOY to be Joyfully available.

Ok I’m glad someone else saw what I saw.  She had that “I got shit to do and you want me playing out here in the dirt?” look all over her face.  In Joy’s defense, I’m a person that’s hard to read.  My excited face looks just like my normal face for the most part, especially when I’m concentrating or focused on other things I have to do.  Joy is a get things done type of gal and I could see her readjusting her schedule in her head if Austin changed plans unsuspectingly. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Ok I’m glad someone else saw what I saw.  She had that “I got shit to do and you want me playing out here in the dirt?” look all over her face.  In Joy’s defense, I’m a person that’s hard to read.  My excited face looks just like my normal face for the most part, especially when I’m concentrating or focused on other things I have to do.  Joy is a get things done type of gal and I could see her readjusting her schedule in her head if Austin changed plans unsuspectingly. 

Yes, I agree.  I freely admit that I don't like Austin.  He sets off my radar as being controlling.  I think Joy brought him lunch and he insisted she do some work while he ate because "it's your house too" or some such nonsense.  He doesn't care if she's tired, has work of her own to do, needs sleep, etc.  She can damn well be out helping him because he's working.  (I hate how "triggered" is so overused now but it's appropriate here for me.  My late husband needed help doing anything outside and it didn't matter how busy I was.  Of course, he never helped me with what he considered to be "my work".)

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yes! Given how vigorously Austin defended that psycho Pearl guy, I absolutely think he's the rigid, insensitive type who gives no fucks about his wife's needs and wants shit done when he wants it done. His father comes across like that as well. I do think Joy likes being handy, but she looked cranky in that video, like she didn't expect to be laying gravel in ninety degree heat when she showed up with lunch. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

If she was cranky, why on earth did she record a video and post it?

Maybe it was a passive-aggressive move on Joy's part to show people that Austin had her working out in the heat when she had Giddy with her.  Maybe Austin wanted it posted to show people how he was able to make her work.  He must've taken the photo of her feet.  "See? I put Joy to work.  Guess that will show her what I think of her polished toenails."  Maybe it was a touch of both.

Like I said before -- Austin skeeves me out.  I hope he's nice to Joy and Giddy but I'm not optimistic about it.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I don't like Austin either.  That Pearl shit is reason enough, but he seems like a humorless controlling asshole to me.

Austin gives me all kinds of bad vibes, and my vibes are typically spot-on.  Out of all the Duggars, I worry about Joy the most.

• Love 11

I have a completely different impression.  I think Joy enjoys working outside and helping Austin.  I think she takes the videos when they're doing that stuff together because she likes it.  She's probably tired of being stuck in the house.  

• Love 10

I remember posting earlier that he looked like a little old man without his dentures.  

LOL, Mr. Roper, I never saw that coming!

I just hope Giddyup has a sense of humor and is nothing personality-wise like his father.  

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

Every time i come across the name Gideon, i think of the character in this book. I read it 30 years ago and its still the strongest impression i have of the name.  (Mandy Patinkin  (❤) may have nudged it aside for a little while.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_Dragon

Reveal hidden contents

I can't get this rid of this box. 

I always think of Gideon Kent from John Jakes' Kent Family Chronicles series. 

56 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

Every time i come across the name Gideon, i think of the character in this book. I read it 30 years ago and its still the strongest impression i have of the name.  (Mandy Patinkin  (❤) may have nudged it aside for a little while.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_Dragon

Reveal hidden contents

I can't get this rid of this box. 

I think of the movie "One Magic Christmas" and Gideon the Angel. 

Love the movie

• Love 3

Gideon is the name of a Biblical army commander who lived in the days of the Judges, after the death of Joshua and before the reign of King David.  He was the first man to have this name.

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

So little Gideon looks like Norman Fell?  He sure does!  Maybe the next one will look like Don Rickles.  That would be cool.

OMG! He does! 

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure Austin's head would explode if he learned that his son looks like a character from a TV sitcom.  Where a straight guy shares an apt. with 2 straight girls while the man pretends to be GAY!  and none of them go to church!  And they wear short shorts and defraud everyone!!  Quick who has their contact info  :-)

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Pickles is saying that Joyless and Austin sold their house and brought another one? She offers no proof. 

They bought land.  She had the land transfer document.  Likely the gravel pit pictures were from the land they are building a new house on.  She’s also speculating Joy is pregnant again.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Mollie said:

Gideon is the name of a Biblical army commander who lived in the days of the Judges, after the death of Joshua and before the reign of King David.  He was the first man to have this name.

Yes, I always think of Gideon in the Bible, and “laying out a fleece”. 

6 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm pretty sure Austin's head would explode if he learned that his son looks like a character from a TV sitcom.  Where a straight guy shares an apt. with 2 straight girls while the man pretends to be GAY!  and none of them go to church!  And they wear short shorts and defraud everyone!!  Quick who has their contact info  :-)

We’ve got to tell him!

• Love 2
On 7/26/2018 at 6:45 PM, kokapetl said:

Rubber prison seats. 

A lot of people use these seats.  We used them to help my son sit up when he was young.  He loved having his own "chair."  Unless parents are forcing the kids into them for hours, it's not a big deal.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LindaC49 said:

Who is pickles?

It's a Facebook Group called 'Life is Not all Pickles and Hairspray' devoted to Duggar family news.  It can be searched there without difficulty. We affectionately refer to the mod, who occasionally does manage to get some insider info, as Pickles.

• Love 2
(edited)

Pickles is how she refers to herself. She claims that she was getting death threats from leghumpers when her real name was known. She took down her personal FB page as well (I checked.) I'm banned now, but I go back to the beginning of her page when the snark was much better than it is these days. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

He looks like Mr Roper from Three's Company...

hqdefault.jpg

I feel like I owe you a gift since you gave me the greatest gift! You pointed out and shared legit photographic evidence that Gideon’s twin is Stanley Roper. You are my hero.

• Love 4

I'm still unsure of Austin and who he is. But as another poster said, Joy may be happier moving gravel. I know I would have been. I've always been much happier mowing a lawn, redoing a room or building a fence than cleaning and cooking. And when Joy was playing Fundy fiance about her hair, Austin encouraged her to make the decision. After seeing her hair on her wedding day I kind of wished Austin had an opinion, but whatever.

I believe all the Duggar kidults use pieces of the Pearl method and all have a Pearl mindset in regard to how children should learn to obey and behave. I'm guessing they're not all taking time to have blanket training sessions (because, thankfully - lazy), but they're likely swatting a baby when the 'opportunity' arises. And once that 3rd kid comes along they'll all be having their older kids redirecting the babies as well.

Austin doesn't seem all that interested in sitting back and depending on TLC as a sole income at this point. And he's not using social media to promote his beliefs using the Duggar coattails. I'm still trying to figure Austin out.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm still unsure of Austin and who he is. But as another poster said, Joy may be happier moving gravel. I know I would have been. I've always been much happier mowing a lawn, redoing a room or building a fence than cleaning and cooking. And when Joy was playing Fundy fiance about her hair, Austin encouraged her to make the decision. After seeing her hair on her wedding day I kind of wished Austin had an opinion, but whatever.

I believe all the Duggar kidults use pieces of the Pearl method and all have a Pearl mindset in regard to how children should learn to obey and behave. I'm guessing they're not all taking time to have blanket training sessions (because, thankfully - lazy), but they're likely swatting a baby when the 'opportunity' arises. And once that 3rd kid comes along they'll all be having their older kids redirecting the babies as well.

Austin doesn't seem all that interested in sitting back and depending on TLC as a sole income at this point. And he's not using social media to promote his beliefs using the Duggar coattails. I'm still trying to figure Austin out.

I agree with this. I truly think Joy was more than happy to be moving the gravel. I think she'd be happy to be out there every day, all day, with him if Austin would go for it, but I don't think he would. I think he's okay with her being there here and there, but doesn't want her with him all day every day. 

I'm not sure the Duggar kids are all on board with their parent's child rearing theories. The older ones were heavily disciplined, the middle batch were disciplined by Jana, and the younger ones are just feral kids at this point. Joy's probably about the kid everything was handed to Jana to be done. Joy will follow what Austin wants and I'm not sure that's a good thing though. I have a feeling he's going to have a very rigid mindset of how a child should be raised. I see him as being strict, but on the other hand, not off his rocker like Derick appears to be. 

I'll give it to Austin for having a solid work ethic and out of all the sons and sons in laws, he's so far the only one with this going for him. Show could be cancelled today, and he'll be able to support Joy and how many ever kids they end up with. John David seems to have some skills, but I'm also not confident he could independently support a giant family without his father's support. The other Duggar sons aren't self supporting and the rest of the in laws are all on various degrees of church paths. Jeremy seems to be at least holding his own for now and shows some desire, even if it looks to be half assed, Ben seems to be at least content with what he's doing, even if the rest of us don't get it, and Derick's the only one who is bat shit crazy and makes most of us fear for his family. 

• Love 12

Not sure if I’m late to the party on this one, but I saw this on Pickles and thought it deserved a repost...(ignore if it’s slready been discussed)...

https://people.com/tv/joy-anna-duggar-home-birth-wasnt-going-to-risk-mom-baby-life/

After 20 hours of labor the midwife FINALLY declares that Giddyup was breach?  TWENTY HOURS?!?!?  The midwife couldn’t tell the baby was breech before this?  I’m pretty sure a qualified medical professional would have spotted the baby’s position so much earlier than this, like at an appointment prior to labor even starting!  I know babies can (and will) turn but for the love of Pete, these women are taking huge risks with their own lives and the lives of their babies.  Doctors and REAL midwives (not doulas pretending to be real midwives) would’ve been able to tell right away that something was amiss. 

I just want to shake them by the shoulders and make them wake up...the risks they are taking with their babies’ and their own lives are just horrid. Seriously, without medical intervention at the 11th hour, bad things could’ve happened with Jill, Jessa, and Joy.  Not to mention the littles they put at risk.  Anna has success with her homebirths but she isn’t them and shouldn’t be held up as a reason why they can do this too (Anna is a risk taker too, so I’m not condoning what she is doing either).  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I just want to shake them by the shoulders and make them wake up...the risks they are taking with their babies’ and their own lives are just horrid. Seriously, without medical intervention at the 11th hour, bad things could’ve happened with Jill, Jessa, and Joy.  

I expect that they will continue the home birth madness, and will continue to avoid tragic outcomes because they can call 911 and be taken to a hospital for emergency or urgent medical care. Or, as I'm sure they will tell you, because Jesus. 

Have any of these Duggarlings or their sperm donors bothered to publicly thank the EMTs, nurses, doctors, and other emergency responders who were on duty and saved them and their babies? I'd like to think so, because kindness and gratitude are, I understand, Christlike qualities.

Edited to add this, and then again to correct a technical misuse of "emergency" about C-sections: So, Jill had two emergency unscheduled C-sections, Joy has had one emergency unscheduled C-section, and Jessa was transported by ambulance after giving birth at home because she was hemorrhaging. That's four births that started at home and ended up at the hospital. Jessa's second birth, Henry, was at home without complications. Four out of five Duggar daughter attempted home births required emergency or last-minute medical assistance/hospitalizations, and three of those were emergency unscheduled C-sections. 

Jinger and Jeremy apparently were able to look at those facts and decide that it would be OK with Jesus if Jinger didn't join the Duggar Daughter home birth party. Good for them. Jinger looked great in the photos with her newborn. I hope her sisters - married and unmarried - are paying attention. 

Edited by Jeeves
Clarification about what's medically an "emergency" C-section
  • Love 16

I wonder if Joy thinks of her C-section as an emergency. Derick said Jill's C-sections weren't emergencies because the 'C-section option' was part of their birth plans. I was left with the impression that Derick feels an emergency C-section is when a laboring woman is swept up and thrown into the OR without an examination. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Joy thinks of her C-section as an emergency. Derick said Jill's C-sections weren't emergencies because the 'C-section option' was part of their birth plans. I was left with the impression that Derick feels an emergency C-section is when a laboring woman is swept up and thrown into the OR without an examination. 

If Joy's wasn't an "emergency C-section," it was definitely an unscheduled C-section. Derick can split hairs all day about the "emergency" adjective, but the fact is that neither of Jill's C-sections were scheduled, and from what we know of her labor with Izzy, she and the baby were in risky territory by the time they got to the hospital (meconium can indicate fetal distress, the baby was big and breech, yikes). 

So to slightly reword what I posted above: Four out of five Duggar daughter attempted home births resulted in last-minute medical intervention and hospitalizations, including one emergency transport of a hemorrhaging Jessa to the hospital, and three unscheduled hospital C-sections (two for Jill, one for Joy).  We don't know if any of the three unscheduled C-sections would meet some strict definition of "emergency" (i.e., how soon after arrival was the procedure done), but they were certainly urgent situations. I'd like to think Jinger and Jeremy looked at the facts of her sisters' birth experiences, and decided it would be fine with Jesus if they didn't try to have a home birth.

• Love 8