Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I thought Austin was way more cash positive than this. Unless he's a massive cheapskate, he can't be doing all that well if they're forced to live in a camper until the next project is done. IIRC, wasn't Austin another one who said he and Joy don't get paid from the show? Might want to rethink that strategy, buddy.

Wait - they don't get PAID?!  Why are they doing it then?  That's crazy, unless they are just famewhores.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Wait - they don't get PAID?!  Why are they doing it then?  That's crazy, unless they are just famewhores.

Most people seem to guess a trust, aka "Duggar family ministries" or something similar, gets "paid" on behalf of everyone. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Lunera said:

Looks like the Forsyths are back to living in the camper. Poor Joy should have made a run for it while she had the chance. 

When I read “wash toys” my brain went to a very naughty place. Off to the prayer closet with me!

• Love 24

I'll admit, it's been a while since little Ponga had toys, but I don't remember him having a whole lot of toys he actually playing with at 5 months of age.  Maybe those plastic keys and things like that, which he'd shove in his mouth, and stuffed animals, and definitely cloth and board books...but at 5-6 months old, babies aren't sitting up yet on their own, let alone really "playing" with anything.  So "wash toys" should take all of about 15 minutes.

That being said, that "to do" list looks exactly like the ones I create when I've overwhelmed with everything.  Write down every little thing (I'll even include "Have shower"), just so it can be crossed out when I have done it, and I can feel I have some control over my life.

On the scale of "High Maintenance to Low Maintenance", Joy is clearly a low maintenance woman.  Which is fine.  There is nothing that says she needs to care about her clothes, her makeup, her hair, her nails. But it's her overall lack of interest and energy that gets to me.  She wasn't always so dull and lethargic.  When she was little, there was nothing to indicate that she was particularly dumb, and she sure wasn't boring.  I remember her roller skating around, and talking with energy and enthusiasm.  Maybe she'll perk up when she's talking about the baby, but she sure hasn't been perky with Austin. I can't help but wonder what happened to her to cause such a complete about face in personality.

• Love 18
27 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I'll admit, it's been a while since little Ponga had toys, but I don't remember him having a whole lot of toys he actually playing with at 5 months of age.  Maybe those plastic keys and things like that, which he'd shove in his mouth, and stuffed animals, and definitely cloth and board books...but at 5-6 months old, babies aren't sitting up yet on their own, let alone really "playing" with anything.  So "wash toys" should take all of about 15 minutes.

That being said, that "to do" list looks exactly like the ones I create when I've overwhelmed with everything.  Write down every little thing (I'll even include "Have shower"), just so it can be crossed out when I have done it, and I can feel I have some control over my life.

On the scale of "High Maintenance to Low Maintenance", Joy is clearly a low maintenance woman.  Which is fine.  There is nothing that says she needs to care about her clothes, her makeup, her hair, her nails. But it's her overall lack of interest and energy that gets to me.  She wasn't always so dull and lethargic.  When she was little, there was nothing to indicate that she was particularly dumb, and she sure wasn't boring.  I remember her roller skating around, and talking with energy and enthusiasm.  Maybe she'll perk up when she's talking about the baby, but she sure hasn't been perky with Austin. I can't help but wonder what happened to her to cause such a complete about face in personality.

Joy has about as much energy as me, and I’m incredibly anemic! As in about one hemocrit numbr away from needing an iron transfusion. I wonder if that’s her problem too.  Her hair looks dry, she seems lethargic, and we know she doesn’t eat iron-rich foods unless CFA added some spinach to the menu.  I have no proof, but it seems to fit with her rough birth, recovery and seemingly lack of self care.  If she isn’t seeing a doctor regularly, she wouldn’t even know.  

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I still make those type of to do lists and my kids are teenagers. I really like marking things off. Even little things on a list make me feel better and take away the worry I’ll forget something I wanted to get done. The fact that Joy doesn’t have “move out of camper” written in red in all caps with multiple exclamation marks is an accomplishment in my opinion. 

• Love 13

Yeah, I can't snark about the "to do" list or even the misspelling because I've done those types of lists all the time. Plus, if she was thinking something else like "vacation" (for example) while spelling "vacuum" it would be easy for her brain to switch to spelling "vacation," then she refocuses and realizes she veered off and corrected to vacuum. Lord knows I've done things like that all the time.

That being said, they're going to need a bigger space that is stable than what that camper will provide, especially when #2 and beyond come down the pike.

• Love 2

Regarding the “To Do” list thing ... if I am really having a bad day at work, overwhelming deadlines and all, I will add things like “go to the bathroom” and “go home and take the dog out” just to have something to cross off. 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Regarding the “To Do” list thing ... if I am really having a bad day at work, overwhelming deadlines and all, I will add things like “go to the bathroom” and “go home and take the dog out” just to have something to cross off. 

For everyone who does this, I feel it’s advice that comes from a lot of organizational type gurus, so it’s got some solid theory behind it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, I can't snark about the "to do" list or even the misspelling because I've done those types of lists all the time. Plus, if she was thinking something else like "vacation" (for example) while spelling "vacuum" it would be easy for her brain to switch to spelling "vacation," then she refocuses and realizes she veered off and corrected to vacuum. Lord knows I've done things like that all the time.

That being said, they're going to need a bigger space that is stable than what that camper will provide, especially when #2 and beyond come down the pike.

Making the list for yourself is one thing, but posting it on SM for millions of strangers? I doubt anyone here does that. Also, what is the point of the #cleaningday hashtag?

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Lunera said:

Looks like the Forsyths are back to living in the camper. Poor Joy should have made a run for it while she had the chance. 

They have only been married a year. They had TONS of stuff on their registry. Why does everything look so old and shabby? Did JB allow them to keep ANY of the wedding gifts?

• Love 3

I wonder if the To Do List started because Joy is so used to running on Duggar time that she does need the list to remind her to do things in a timely fashion.

(Not suggesting Joy is suffering from any type of depression (she seems fairly content), just sharing for others - when my brother's depression was so bad he was on medication, his doctor recommended putting things like 'get out of bed before 9', 'have a shower' 'take a walk around the block' on his to do list, because seeing it written down and then getting to cross it off was helpful for him managing things.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

To be honest, I should put “go to the bathroom” on my work to-do list every day. I tend to forget/not notice and then I’ll be sitting there at 4pm  thinking, Why am I so uncomfortable? Result of living in my brain not my body. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I thought Austin was way more cash positive than this. Unless he's a massive cheapskate, he can't be doing all that well if they're forced to live in a camper until the next project is done. IIRC, wasn't Austin another one who said he and Joy don't get paid from the show? Might want to rethink that strategy, buddy.

Me too! Isn’t that why his dad had him complete 5 flips before he could get married- so he could afford a household in addition to money for his business?

• Love 9

Didn't they show some of the camper when they first got married and Joy said then she loved living there and Austin pointed out the curtains and things Joy did to make it feel cozy.  So maybe she does.  Lots less to clean. 

• Love 12
On 8/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, tabloidlover said:

It was only Derick that claimed no compensation.   Austin has made no statements to that effect.

Maybe it was Jill that was getting paid and bitch baby Derick didn't like it that her name was on the check vs his. I can see him being a dick that way. Once bitter, always bitter Derick, the forever student.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Didn't they show some of the camper when they first got married and Joy said then she loved living there and Austin pointed out the curtains and things Joy did to make it feel cozy.  So maybe she does.  Lots less to clean. 

Perhaps Joy does prefer the smaller space.  It's less to clean and may suit her nicely.  My mother for years wanted to sell their house and live permanently in the RV.  Some people are happier in smaller quarters.

• Love 13

The art teacher at my previous school and her husband sold their house, fitted out a school bus as an RV, and travel around the country now with their toddler.  Some people like the smaller space with less to clean, and no place to store clutter (though it seems Joy could work on that).  For a young couple with a little baby, it would be great to travel the country seeing new places. I bet TLC would even foot the bill. Too bad neither Joy nor Austin have that kind of curiousity. 

• Love 11
17 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Maybe it was Jill that was getting paid and bitch baby Derick didn't like it that her name was on the check vs his. I can see him being a dick that way. Once bitter, always bitter Derick, the forever student.

That actually would make sense.  I would have a great deal of respect for Jill if she did indeed get paid but put it in an account he knew nothing about.  HA!  That is just me making crazy talk.

• Love 7
On 8/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Joy has about as much energy as me, and I’m incredibly anemic! As in about one hemocrit numbr away from needing an iron transfusion. I wonder if that’s her problem too.  Her hair looks dry, she seems lethargic, and we know she doesn’t eat iron-rich foods unless CFA added some spinach to the menu.  I have no proof, but it seems to fit with her rough birth, recovery and seemingly lack of self care.  If she isn’t seeing a doctor regularly, she wouldn’t even know.  

I needed 2 iron infusions roughly 7 months apart.  My first was last September and second was earlier this year.  If the first one didn't work, I was headed for a blood transfusion.  I am now very acquainted with a hematology office in my area.  

On topic--it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them were anemic.  Of course with this family, they would never know unless they in the ER or hospital.  Joy doesn't seem like she even knows if she's happy or not.  It's like she's just going through the motions of life...or what she was told her life was supposed to be.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

Joy doesn't seem like she even knows if she's happy or not.  It's like she's just going through the motions of life...or what she was told her life was supposed to be.

Sadly, from what we see onscreen, this looks entirely accurate. If only the Duggars and their cronies were less rabid about taking away rights from others who disagree with them, I would feel sorry for them. I do still feel sorry for the kids for having their lives so restricted.

ETA I don't forgive them for still being rabid about imposing their worldview on others, though.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 15
On 8/28/2018 at 3:31 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yes, losing so much blood after birth certainly can cause her to become anemic. Been there done that didn't speak up about it until I had zero energy and my heart kept racing. I hope Joy gets some care. She just isn't her fun self anymore. Both her and Josiah really need to talk to a licensed professional because they could be experiencing some kind of PTSD from living in the TTH.

Doesn't it seem that they both got married off fairly quickly? At 18 I couldn't fathom having to get married and having my life change the first night of the honeymoon, first by being alone with a guy you were never allowed to touch and secondly getting pregnant overnight practically. What an sad life because both Josiah and Joy never had a choice.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 19
35 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Sadly, from what we see onscreen, this looks entirely accurate. If only the Duggars and their cronies were less rabid about taking away rights from others who disagree with them, I would feel sorry for them. I do still feel sorry for the kids for having their lives so restricted.

ETA I don't forgive them for still being rabid about imposing their worldview on others, though.

Exactly- they are espousing taking rights away from others - women and LGBT folks, to name just a couple - and that needs to be shut down whenever we hear it. YMMV.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Making the list for yourself is one thing, but posting it on SM for millions of strangers? I doubt anyone here does that. Also, what is the point of the #cleaningday hashtag?

Well, she ain't gonna do all those things everyday!

• Love 1
On 8/28/2018 at 5:35 PM, DangerousMinds said:

I haven’t but I have friends who have. Not in big wide internet but In locked livejournal posts. I have one friend who not only posted her to-do list but also her meal planning/grocery list. That almost seems more reasonable to me. Most people don’t wanna know you need to scrub your toilet but might be curious about what you’re cooking. I have a lot of foodie friends.  

• Love 2

Poor Joy. Does anyone else feel like she got no support throughout her pregnancy? She's nine months along and this is the first time her mother's been to her house? I get that it's hard to play hostess when you're in the middle of a construction zone, but Michelle never swung by at any point to take her daughter to lunch or help with a few chores so Joy could rest? 

Also did you notice how Joy's face got hard when Austin said "We flip houses. That's what we do." I don't think she's thrilled over the prospect of packing up and moving every year, especially now that kids have entered the picture.

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

What the hell is wrong with her ?

I honestly haven't got a clue what kinda mother doesn't see there child until what a week or two before her grandchild's birth? Especially when she only lives 30mins away (If Joy lived in another country or Laredo like Jinger I could understand) but she hadn't even popped by to see where her daughter was gonna be living and what the house looks like? Mind Boggling.

• Love 22
9 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think this was all producer driven.  All staged for their scripted reality show.  What is really "real" about them anyway.

Well, they probably are actual humans, not some Arkansas version of Stepford wives. So they breathe, eat, excrete, bleed, all the usual human things. 

Other than that? Nada. I agree it's all producer-driven, scripted bullshit. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Puffin said:

I honestly haven't got a clue what kinda mother doesn't see there child until what a week or two before her grandchild's birth? Especially when she only lives 30mins away (If Joy lived in another country or Laredo like Jinger I could understand) but she hadn't even popped by to see where her daughter was gonna be living and what the house looks like? Mind Boggling.

mine never saw me until a month after all of my kids were born, and just swung by. No question of doing laundry or helping out!  

• Love 5