Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

From what I have noticed, the Duggars have yet to publicly thank anyone outside of their own family for their help and intervention.

Why do these silly girls having babies at home without EVER having seen a qualified, licensed obstetric professional think that it's "OK" to just show up at the nearest hospital in a distressful situation without having ANY obstetric records with them? Prior information would GREATLY help the poor physician that has to treat them when in labor. The doctors and medical personnel at the hospital have no knowledge of their case and status and have to 'go blind'..so to speak. Not good for ANY of them...baby, mother or physician. Silly 'fly by night' Duggars...so ignorant.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Joy thinks of her C-section as an emergency. Derick said Jill's C-sections weren't emergencies because the 'C-section option' was part of their birth plans. I was left with the impression that Derick feels an emergency C-section is when a laboring woman is swept up and thrown into the OR without an examination. 

Thanks for the clarification from the medical perspective, @doodlebug

It's somehow not surprising that in his flailing around, Derick may be correct that Jill's C-sections weren't emergencies, but wrong in saying it's because they had a "C-section option" in their birth plans. If the C-sections weren't emergencies, it would have been because of the medical situation of the woman and fetus on admission to the hospital, as @doodlebug explained above. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Because I'm not a medical expert, I would consider Jill's and Joy's emergency C-sections, because Jill and Joy made the decision for medical intervention at the 11th hour (or 20+ hours). And because they were clueless to what was happening. So the stories of the births feel emergent to me.

But Derick's reasoning is far fetched because everyone has a loose 'plan' about seeking emergency intervention. Meaning if one is experiencing heart attack or stroke symptoms or severely cut themselves or broke a bone, they'd likely call an ambulance or drive directly to the ED because that is 'the plan'.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Because I'm not a medical expert, I would consider Jill's and Joy's emergency C-sections, because Jill and Joy made the decision for medical intervention at the 11th hour (or 20+ hours). And because they were clueless to what was happening. So the stories of the births feel emergent to me.

But Derick's reasoning is far fetched because everyone has a loose 'plan' about seeking emergency intervention. Meaning if one is experiencing heart attack or stroke symptoms or severely cut themselves or broke a bone, they'd likely call an ambulance or drive directly to the ED because that is 'the plan'.

And, if Derick is saying that a possible trip to the hospital was part of the plan, there is an implication that there were other options being considered.  What if a cesarean at the hospital was ruled out of the plan?  Was the option then to perform one at home?  Or, maybe, the 'plan' could've been to let nature take its course and Jill and/or the baby would be left to die.  

• Love 17

I watched Joy and Austin's video and I have a couple of questions.

1) Was that a real midwife they were talking to?

2) Did Joy say that she had never attended any of her sister's birth events, she didn't know what to expect, but that her body knows what to do?  I'm just surprised that Joy wasn't considered of age to experience these expert home births of theirs, even though she was ready to be a teen bride.

• Love 5

I had the same question, riverblue22. What are the credentials of the midwife with Joy and Austin? They didn't address that in the clip. I found Joy to be quite unprepared to have a baby at this time in her life. She simply was clueless about what goes on and relied yet again on ignorance and that 'it'll all work out, somehow". This girl was scared to death to have a c-section, yet accepted substandard pre natal care for herself and her child. Perhaps proper monitoring of her pregnancy could have avoided a C-section in the end. A proper professional would have noticed the sheer size of Giddyup AND Joy's pelvic spread and determined it would have been safer for both of them to deliver him induced a bit early.

Such ignorance prevails. I'm sorry for these kidults who weren't given good information about life in general by their parents. Yet, these kidults, deemed 'mature' enough to marry remain clueless about the real world and how it really works. Not so scary and evil after all...how many times did properly trained medical professionals save the Duggar daughters' hides AND Michelle with her numerous pregnancies?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, floridamom said:

I had the same question, riverblue22. What are the credentials of the midwife with Joy and Austin? They didn't address that in the clip. I found Joy to be quite unprepared to have a baby at this time in her life. She simply was clueless about what goes on and relied yet again on ignorance and that 'it'll all work out, somehow". This girl was scared to death to have a c-section, yet accepted substandard pre natal care for herself and her child. Perhaps proper monitoring of her pregnancy could have avoided a C-section in the end. A proper professional would have noticed the sheer size of Giddyup AND Joy's pelvic spread and determined it would have been safer for both of them to deliver him induced a bit early.

Such ignorance prevails. I'm sorry for these kidults who weren't given good information about life in general by their parents. Yet, these kidults, deemed 'mature' enough to marry remain clueless about the real world and how it really works. Not so scary and evil after all...how many times did properly trained medical professionals save the Duggar daughters' hides AND Michelle with her numerous pregnancies?

The size of a baby is NOT a good reason to induce early delivery. ACOG is pretty clear on that. Also, there is no exam that can determine is a woman's pelvic structure allows for delivery. I delivered an 11 lb baby naturally, and I have a small/average build. If anything, she would have benefited from prenatal exercises to help with positioning the baby, and had the option of an external cephalic version before going into labor.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

The size of a baby is NOT a good reason to induce early delivery. ACOG is pretty clear on that. Also, there is no exam that can determine is a woman's pelvic structure allows for delivery. I delivered an 11 lb baby naturally, and I have a small/average build. If anything, she would have benefited from prenatal exercises to help with positioning the baby, and had the option of an external cephalic version before going into labor.

Yep, inducing labor because a baby might be larger than average was abandoned decades ago after research demonstrated that inducing labor with a big baby was MORE likely to result in a cesarean and other complications than just waiting.  However, perhaps Joy could've been screened for gestational diabetes, treated for it if she had it and, if nothing else, educated as to the risks of delivering a large baby including the higher risk of prolonged labor, cesarean sections, injuries to mother and/or baby, hemorrhage, etc.  The fact that the baby was large, as well as breech, would've lead a capable provider to recommend a primary cesarean prior to labor to prevent these things.  

As noted above, determining pelvic capacity on exam is pretty hard to do and doesn't seem to help much in predicting who will need a cesarean.  In my 35+ years examining thousands of pregnant women, I've maybe found a dozen women whose pelvises were clearly extraordinarily small.  One of my partners, a conservative, very nervous doc, tells at least half of her patients that their pelvis is unusually small and they're more likely to have a cesarean.  I personally think it becomes kind of a self fulfilling prophecy in that situation and both the mother and the caregiver's decision making is colored by the information despite how irrelevant it is.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15

This entire family likes to show up places unannounced, so (to them), why would a trip to the ER to birth a youngin' be any different?  If they keep this up, one of them is not going to have a successful ending.  And it has nothing to do with Jesus or praying.  It will be based on science and statistics, neither of which the Duggs understand or accept.  Medical professionals have stepped in time and again to save baby and mom, but not every baby and/or mom can be saved.

I still do not trust Austin.  He has shown us time and time again he has the personality of a flea (my sincere apologies to fleas).  He shows very little genuine emotion, at least on camera.  I have a sneaking suspicion his anger comes out a hell of a lot easier.  I think Joy & Austin will be the couple that follows the Pearls the most.  He kinda seems like he has the attitude of children should be seen and not heard.  There just seems to be some hidden anger right underneath the surface.  I don't get a physically abusive vibe from him (like I do with Derick), but I do see emotional or verbal abuse as a possibility.  Something that can't be seen but definitely felt by Joy.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, inducing labor because a baby might be larger than average was abandoned decades ago after research demonstrated that inducing labor with a big baby was MORE likely to result in a cesarean and other complications than just waiting.  However, perhaps Joy could've been screened for gestational diabetes, treated for it if she had it and, if nothing else, educated as to the risks of delivering a large baby including the higher risk of prolonged labor, cesarean sections, injuries to mother and/or baby, hemorrhage, etc.  The fact that the baby was large, as well as breech, would've lead a capable provider to recommend a primary cesarean prior to labor to prevent these things.  

As noted above, determining pelvic capacity on exam is pretty hard to do and doesn't seem to help much in predicting who will need a cesarean.  In my 35+ years examining thousands of pregnant women, I've maybe found a dozen women whose pelvises were clearly extraordinarily small.  One of my partners, a conservative, very nervous doc, tells at least half of her patients that their pelvis is unusually small and they're more likely to have a cesarean.  I personally think it becomes kind of a self fulfilling prophecy in that situation and both the mother and the caregiver's decision making is colored by the information despite how irrelevant it is.

My labor for baby number 2 was induced and I think it was due to the size of the baby - and the size of my spouses head.  The doctor saw me and him at my weekly check up the day before the due date and sent me for inducement later that day. Whatever shot I was given ‘ to relax me’ later in labor didn’t help the situation as I had absolutely no desire or inclination to push as a result. 

My son was 9 lbs, turned sunny side up, had a big head circumfrence, seemingly stuck and forceps were used because it was ‘too late’ to do a Cesarean.  

There is a reason why I would never be like the Duggars and give birth at home.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Do we know if JoyAnna sought prenatal care? I hate to think they were just "winging" it.

In the previews, I believe there was a shot of the Forsyths getting into a car with a voice over saying they were going to see the midwife. NOW, I hope they give her name so I can check her against the records of lay midwives in Arkansas. Even her first name will do; there are that few to check.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
On 8/4/2018 at 12:03 PM, doodlebug said:

In medical terms, it was probably urgent but not emergent.  An emergency cesarean, in general, is one in which either mother or baby would be in mortal danger if it was not done within 30 minutes of the diagnosis of the problem.  Not many cesareans are emergent; the classic example is a placental abruption with the baby's heart rate falling..  Urgent cesareans are one that need done as soon as possible because either mother or baby is at potential risk of harm with waiting.  Most cesareans done on women in labor or with ruptured membranes are urgent.  The final category is an elective cesarean section.  Those are cesareans placed on the regular surgical schedule in advance.  For example, a woman whose baby is known to be breech prior to labor would often be encouraged to schedule a cesarean around 39 weeks gestation in order to avoid labor because cesareans done on women in labor have a far higher complication rate than those performed in the absence of labor.

Hey now!  All of the Duggars have had a social ultrasound and they know what sex their baby is and I am sure they are happy to share that information with the staff so that they can get out the appropriate newborn cap and card for the crib.  What more could they possibly want?

I labored for 10 hours. At hour 11, the nurses got concerned because my daughter’s heart rate dropped significantly. At hour 11 and five minutes, my OB was in the room studying the fetal monitoring strip. At hour 11 and seven minutes, nurses were cutting my clothes off me. At hour 11 and ten minutes, I was in the OR having a spinal. (I couldn’t have an epidural, and the anesthesiologist could not put me under general because my jaw is so small that he would have had to find a pediatric intubation tray and that would have taken too long. I would think that would be something normally stocked in a hospital OR, but I guess not.) At hour 11 and twenty minutes, my OB was cutting. My daughter’s initial APGAR was four and a NICU team had to work on her for quite a while. As a mom, I felt like it was emergent, but as an RN I can understand the distinction you’re making.

It would have taken at least half an hour for me to get from my house into the the hospital OR. If we had tried a homebirth, my daughter might well be dead. And this is all in spite of the fact that I had excellent prenatal care and a relatively uncomplicated pregnancy. These girls are trying homebirths following C-sections and hemorrhages and with prenatal care so lacking that they didn’t realize two of their babies were breech until they’d been laboring for hours. It’s just baffling to me that they behave this way.

• Love 18
On 8/4/2018 at 7:39 AM, Fostersmom said:

I'll give it to Austin for having a solid work ethic and out of all the sons and sons in laws, he's so far the only one with this going for him. Show could be cancelled today, and he'll be able to support Joy and how many ever kids they end up with. John David seems to have some skills, but I'm also not confident he could independently support a giant family without his father's support. The other Duggar sons aren't self supporting and the rest of the in laws are all on various degrees of church paths. Jeremy seems to be at least holding his own for now and shows some desire, even if it looks to be half assed, Ben seems to be at least content with what he's doing, even if the rest of us don't get it, and Derick's the only one who is bat shit crazy and makes most of us fear for his family. 

One thing in Jeremy's favor, in my opinion, is he was already a preacher before he hooked up with the Duggars. He may have hoped/expected that being with the Duggar's would advance his career, but he doesn't seem to have a delusional belief that he can do anything he wants without any training or real education. He may like the TLC money, but he's planning for the future, so he isn't expecting it to last forever.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Baby Austin, followed by Baby Gideon. Austin has the same displeased face even as a baby. At least Giddy's smiley.

In this pic his face says he is hot as balls so why did these large people put him in this really thick material

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Shoulder pads?

80s career wear for babies, then?

ETA I don't interact with infants typically but they are not, in my experience, rectangular. The shape of his outfit is just odd to me.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 13

I think Austin's infant outfit looks cuddly, soft and quaint.  I had a similar outfit for my baby boys, but I'm old.  Austin's outfit is just too big for a good photo.  It's much more comfortable than Giddy up stuffed into too tight jeans!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

The sumo baby outfit almost looks like its a family hand-me-down. It looks a bit dated for the mid 90s. He was born what? 95, 96? That thing looks straight out of the 80s. 

I think a lot of the babies on Call the Midlife look puffy too. All those hand knits!

• Love 5

I posted this over in one of the episode threads but it probably belongs better here. 

I loathe Austin. I think he's a humorless small-minded short-tempered controlling fundie, who will smother (if not smash) any signs of independent thought out of Joy with relentless fanaticism. And who will rear his kids according to the doctrines of the Pearls (a truly horrific thing). Fortunately, I don't see Joy as in much danger of doing any independent thinking, so there's that. Tragic about the kids, but apparently the Pearls and their ilk know how to keep on the right side of the law or at least avoid detection. It can't hurt that they're Duggars in good-old-boy territory there in NW Arkansas.

But anyway, I recall that recently Joy posted on social media about taking Giddy and lunch out to Nostrils as he was working on the foundation of a new house. She helped him move gravel or something - in sandals and a dress, because OSHA is a creation of Satan and Jesus protects the faithful. With Nostrils' big old knife as Jesus's backup to remove splinters. I thought that in that SM post/video, Joy described that construction site as "our house." That gave me the idea that he was building it for them to live in.

I mention this because apparently he said on the show or somewhere that his plan was that he and Joy (and their offspring) would move into these cruddy houses and live in them while he fixed them up to flip, then move into the next fixer-upper. I wonder if he's changed his mind from that plan to a better one. If he has, at least we know he's a bit better than Boob at home-building, so Giddy will probably not still be camping out in rat-assed fixer-upper flip houses with his parents and ten younger siblings, at age 15. 

I could be wrong, and maybe a succession of mattresses on the floors of rat-assed firetrap fixer-upper houses is going to be Joy's lot for her entire married life. Maybe the kids will have cribs and beds, at least.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I posted this over in one of the episode threads but it probably belongs better here. 

I loathe Austin. I think he's a humorless small-minded short-tempered controlling fundie, who will smother (if not smash) any signs of independent thought out of Joy with relentless fanaticism. And who will rear his kids according to the doctrines of the Pearls (a truly horrific thing). Fortunately, I don't see Joy as in much danger of doing any independent thinking, so there's that. Tragic about the kids, but apparently the Pearls and their ilk know how to keep on the right side of the law or at least avoid detection. It can't hurt that they're Duggars in good-old-boy territory there in NW Arkansas.

But anyway, I recall that recently Joy posted on social media about taking Giddy and lunch out to Nostrils as he was working on the foundation of a new house. She helped him move gravel or something - in sandals and a dress, because OSHA is a creation of Satan and Jesus protects the faithful. With Nostrils' big old knife as Jesus's backup to remove splinters. I thought that in that SM post/video, Joy described that construction site as "our house." That gave me the idea that he was building it for them to live in.

I mention this because apparently he said on the show or somewhere that his plan was that he and Joy (and their offspring) would move into these cruddy houses and live in them while he fixed them up to flip, then move into the next fixer-upper. I wonder if he's changed his mind from that plan to a better one. If he has, at least we know he's a bit better than Boob at home-building, so Giddy will probably not still be camping out in rat-assed fixer-upper flip houses with his parents and ten younger siblings, at age 15. 

I could be wrong, and maybe a succession of mattresses on the floors of rat-assed firetrap fixer-upper houses is going to be Joy's lot for her entire married life. Maybe the kids will have cribs and beds, at least.

This was super wierd to me, since I was under the impression that the house they were working on during their engagement/marriage was meant to be their longterm home. I'm wondering if Austin doesn't have enough of a financial cushion to leave a house unflipped. If that's the case and they're basically living off the proceeds of one house sale at a time, then that's just bad financial planning, whatever money Joy brings in notwithstanding. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, lascuba said:

This was super wierd to me, since I was under the impression that the house they were working on during their engagement/marriage was meant to be their longterm home. I'm wondering if Austin doesn't have enough of a financial cushion to leave a house unflipped. If that's the case and they're basically living off the proceeds of one house sale at a time, then that's just bad financial planning, whatever money Joy brings in notwithstanding. 

I could be wrong. I picked up the idea that they would be moving from flip to flip from the discussion of one of the episodes.

• Love 5

That really does not sound healthy, for a baby and potentially perpetually pregnant woman, from a toxic mold, construction dust, rusty nails, power tools, and potential lead paint exposure standpoint! 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I agree - and I thought it was just me, every time I see him on the show I have this desire to just tear apart everything he says while giving him a virtual smack up-side his smug faced head.  Once or twice I wondered if I was being too harsh but it's nice to know others see him as I do, just nothing there to like at all.  Even in those rare moments when he shows a little smile like he has a sense of humor after all I don't feel like it's a "real" sense of humor.

And I just found something interesting that probably every single person on this board knows and I'm just super late to the party - his family and their camp was on "World's Strictest Parents" about 9 years ago, some of the episode info says a lot about how Austin was raised and maybe why his personality is the way it is.

About changing his mind on living in the flip houses and moving from one to the other - I too hope he's rethought that and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a serious wake up call on how much stuff and organization a baby needs and how hard it would be to move that from place to place or, if needed, live temporarily in that RV again while the house is made even moderately livable - at least I hope that's what happened!

• Love 12

My dad's carpentry skills were amazing.  He built 3 houses for us, each bigger than the previous house.  This was all done in his spare time, as he had a 9 to 5 job.  We didn't move in until the houses were finished.

Mom never was expected to pitch in, especially when pregnant.  I agree that Austril is an inconsiderate prick, not only because he expects his hugely pregnant wife to do heavy construction work, but he doesn't even think enough of her safety to insist she dress appropriately, with protective footwear, gloves and FFS, PANTS!  He's a humorless dick of a husband.  What a shame.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I could be wrong. I picked up the idea that they would be moving from flip to flip from the discussion of one of the episodes.

No, you're right. During the episode Austin talked about selling their house 2 months after Joy gave birth, and Joy "jokingly" responded with 5-6 months, and Austin sort of smiled at that but shook his head, kind of condescendingly, like, "oh, my silly wife! Of course we're not waiting to move until things are more comfortable for you!"

• Love 16

I am sure when Snooty McSnoot has her crawling under a spider nested underbelly of a meth house he wants to flip to check out a leak in a sewer line, he may let her wear pants.... until then Joy doesn't want to stir the pot....picking her battles...

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

I am sure when Snooty McSnoot has her crawling under a spider nested underbelly of a meth house he wants to flip to check out a leak in a sewer line, he may let her wear pants.... until then Joy doesn't want to stir the pot....picking her battles...

Nah, she maybe can wear leggings under her dress.  MAYBE if Austin is in a giving mood that day.

• Love 10