Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

The talk about how they would bring home any meat if they are successful reminded me of something I saw a long time ago.  

Back in the late 70's when Mr 3 and I were still dating, we were in downtown Montreal on a Friday or Saturday night in the fall.  Some dumbass hunter was driving slowly down Ste. Catherine Street ( the main shopping street) with a moose strapped to his Jeep. He was so proud of himself.  I remember thinking what an idiot he was.  I can  totally see a Duggar pulling a stunt like that.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Zella said:

Wasn't Joy in Jill's buddy group? I do believe that relationship is close (or at least was prior to the estrangement), but I also think she probably sees Jill as a substitute mom, especially since there's several years between them in age, and that makes it a very different relationship than the one she has with Carlin. I imagine Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger had more sisterly interactions, both positive and negative, than they had with Joy because they were closer in age. Joy always felt sort of shoehorned into that group (at least to me), which probably also explains why she seemed closer to some of her brothers who are closer to her in age. 

Just curious:  How old were the Duggar girls when they became sister-mom age?  There doesn't seem to be enough age separation between Jill and Joy for Jill to have led Joy's buddy group.

Edited by CouchTater
1 minute ago, CouchTater said:

Just curious:  How old were the Duggar girls when they became sister-mom age?  There doesn't seem to be enough age separation between Jill and Joy for Jill to have led Joy's buddy group.

I'm not sure the answer on when they started that. There is a 6.5 year age difference between Jill and Joy. I remember reading a birth order theory thing that said one you have 5 year difference in age, you essentially have 2 only children rather than an older child and a younger child. Of course, with the Duggars, there are kids in between, so it's not the same. But I do think that's enough of an age gap to make them operate less like sisters in the way we think of siblings. I have 3 brothers. 1 is 18 months older than me. The other 2 are 14 and 17 years older. I have a good relationship with all of them (actually just reconnected with the older 2 this year), but the way I interact with the one closest to me in age is very different from the 2 who were teens when I was born. 

Of course, I'm just approaching this from the stance of age and how they relate to each other as siblings, not factoring in the sister-mom thing. I think it would be inappropriate to saddle any of the kids with that responsibility, regardless of the age gap. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I think the sister mom thing evolved as they oldest 4 girls got older. In the beginning it was more like help their buddies get their coat on, tie their shoes, brush their teeth, etc. Then as the girls aged they were given more responsibility with their newborn siblings. Mostly, night nurse-like duties when the sibling reached 6 months.

• Useful 3
19 hours ago, Zella said:

Wasn't Joy in Jill's buddy group? I do believe that relationship is close (or at least was prior to the estrangement), but I also think she probably sees Jill as a substitute mom, especially since there's several years between them in age, and that makes it a very different relationship than the one she has with Carlin. I imagine Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger had more sisterly interactions, both positive and negative, than they had with Joy because they were closer in age. Joy always felt sort of shoehorned into that group (at least to me), which probably also explains why she seemed closer to some of her brothers who are closer to her in age. 

Yes- I believe Joy loves Jill very much, but she’s an “elder” or an authority figure to her, Carlin is a friend and a peer. It’s different. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I seem to remember Michelle trilling that Jill just BEGGED for Joy to be all hers, and that the  buddy system kicked into high gear at that time. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

They had Joy Anna going with Michelle to the prenatal appointments.  She was 11 or 12 and would have been the oldest first-time sister mom.  Jinger was the youngest having just turned 5 when Jedidiah was born.  

If not Joy, it would have been Jana's turn to get a new buddy since Jinger was Johannah's sister mom. 

Honestly, Joy and Carlin's friendship seems to be the only authentic non-family friendship in the entire Duggar world. Jana and Laura might be great friends, but that has never really been acknowledge and probably won't be until/unless they both have husbands.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

Joy was so overwhelmed by Gideon and Evy that she took Gideon to the TTH and left him there for the day. 

Meanwhile, Austin's having fun with the boys....

I don't get the Duggars. They proclaim to be such a close-knit family, yet an exhausted Joy had to load up two babies and drive over to the TTH to drop one off and get a break? Does Michelle ever call to check on her?

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Meanwhile, Austin's having fun with the boys....

I don't get the Duggars. They proclaim to be such a close-knit family, yet an exhausted Joy had to load up two babies and drive over to the TTH to drop one off and get a break? Does Michelle ever call to check on her?

Michelle: There is a Joy???

Of course MOTY doesn’t call.

• Love 5

so we have Jana, with the required cup of starbucks, mask set to the side and staring at her phone while doing this great sister thing? all the while Jana's phone and apple watch track every movement to report to JB and MOTY?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

So to recap here, an exhausted Joy, having just had a new baby and exhausted by her busy toddler, had to drop that toddler off at the Duggar daycare for his grandparents to ignore and Jana to take care of, will next year, gladly have another baby she doesn't have the energy to care for? Did I get that right? 

Psst Joy, birth control is your friend.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

She’s pregnant???

No, that's just snark.

I don't think a mom with a newborn and toddler being tired and needing a break while her husband's is away is really indicative of anything being amiss. I've been there, still had more kids. Moms of newborns get tired and overwhelmed, even if they only have one baby. 

• Love 12
On 10/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

I think they hunt for meat to put on the table. Thats something my family has done. If they did not do that there were times we would not have had meat.

My family has always hunted. I never did but I used to fish. I don't have a problem with it if you do it responsibly and use the meat. Around where I live, deer hunting helps keep the population down and is actually good. 

31 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

No, that's just snark.

I don't think a mom with a newborn and toddler being tired and needing a break while her husband's is away is really indicative of anything being amiss. I've been there, still had more kids. Moms of newborns get tired and overwhelmed, even if they only have one baby. 

She was probably happy he left so she could hang with her best friend. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

She’s pregnant???

No her baby is 2 months old, but most people think she will be pregnant next year. Most women have at least 6 months between pregnancies. 

Joy is 23 years old. Today was birthday. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Honestly, if I were at a spa and a bunch of women walked in with their infants, I would be annoyed. I’m there to relax, not listen to your baby cry. I’m fine with infants and children in almost all places, but this is not one of them. 

Yes I agree. Most of the spas I go to do not allow children unless they are receiving a service (like a group of teens getting a pedicure). Also- I don't begrudge the girls getting a mani/pedi, I've been since they reopened in June, but no masks? You don't have to wear a mask to receive personal care services in Arkansas?

• Love 10

Honestly, if I were at a spa and a bunch of women walked in with their infants, I would be annoyed. I’m there to relax, not listen to your baby cry. I’m fine with infants and children in almost all places, but this is not one of them. 

I don't think the place the Duggars go is actually a spa.  I think it's a strip mall nail place.  While babies would not make it a fun time, they probably mostly fill the place and if the owner is smart, they don't schedule anyone else during the Duggar visit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Oof. I saw that Evy was there. I hope that's Evy's stroller and Ivy isn't with them too. 

They do mani/pedis for young children here right now but infants are a no no. How do I know this? I was in the clinic for my flu shot and a family brought in their daughter who was about 5/6 years old. The mom had just taken her for a manicure and haircut. She was so happy and thrilled until it was her turn for the jab. They buttered her up and she still called them all the sons of bitches she could. How dare they trick her! I was doing my 15 minute wait and trying not to crack up. Thank god for masks. I was snickering under my breath. 

Gotta have some levity in these times. 

• LOL 14
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I agree. Most of the spas I go to do not allow children unless they are receiving a service (like a group of teens getting a pedicure). Also- I don't begrudge the girls getting a mani/pedi, I've been since they reopened in June, but no masks? You don't have to wear a mask to receive personal care services in Arkansas?

I do not know specific rules for spas/salons, but there is a mask mandate in the state since July and a lot of local cities have mask ordinances too, but it is on the individual businesses to enforce. So, if the business required masks and they didn't comply, the business has the right to refuse them service or even eject them (and would be backed up if police were called). Either the business isn't following the mask mandate (some of them advertise that, which draws in the anti-mask crowd and drives away everyone else) or they are and the employees were uncomfortable enforcing it. 

I don't know which spa they are at, but on the 2 occasions I had to wander over to the NWA metro area during the pandemic, I thought the overall mask wearing percentage was pretty high. My rural county about 1 hr. 30 minutes away has more mixed mask wearing but even then is higher than I expected. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Especially without masks!

• Love 12
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

This was my first thought, too. I'm sure a little strip mall nail place is not turning anyone away right now, but I'd be real annoyed if I went for a quiet manicure and all of these women walked in with babies. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Oof. I saw that Evy was there. I hope that's Evy's stroller and Ivy isn't with them too. 

They do mani/pedis for young children here right now but infants are a no no. How do I know this? I was in the clinic for my flu shot and a family brought in their daughter who was about 5/6 years old. The mom had just taken her for a manicure and haircut. She was so happy and thrilled until it was her turn for the jab. They buttered her up and she still called them all the sons of bitches she could. How dare they trick her! I was doing my 15 minute wait and trying not to crack up. Thank god for masks. I was snickering under my breath. 

Gotta have some levity in these times. 

A kid was cursing?

• Love 1

I don't see what the big deal is about Evy being there. She's a nursing infant. She'll eat and sleep the entire time. If she brought Gideon, then I'd understand patrons being annoyed, but I don't think that nursing mothers should be shunned from society until her child is done nursing. Yes, she could have left some pumped milk or formula with a sitter, but it's her choice on how she wants to feed her child.

• Love 8

True fact - I can't stand those Hallmark movies, but my husband absolutely loves them.  He has, at times, spent an evening watching Hallmark movies while wearing a bathrobe.  Does this mean he loves me, even though I'm in a different room watching or doing something else?  Or does it mean he doesn't love me because he's watching something I don't like?  Or maybe I don't love him because I'm not in my bathrobe, glued to his side while we watch together?  It's so confusing!  🤪

It does seem more than a little defensive for Joy to feel the need to post about how much her husband loves her.  Really has the same feel as Jessa's "we're still madly in love" statement a while ago.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

True fact - I can't stand those Hallmark movies, but my husband absolutely loves them.  He has, at times, spent an evening watching Hallmark movies while wearing a bathrobe.  Does this mean he loves me, even though I'm in a different room watching or doing something else?  Or does it mean he doesn't love me because he's watching something I don't like?  Or maybe I don't love him because I'm not in my bathrobe, glued to his side while we watch together?  It's so confusing!  🤪

It does seem more than a little defensive for Joy to feel the need to post about how much her husband loves her.  Really has the same feel as Jessa's "we're still madly in love" statement a while ago.

My husband watches them too. It's an escape from this crazy world we live in right now. 

• Love 7

Joy seems happy, very content. I’m torn between feeling glad for her and feeling exasperated. But I think she honestly is a very simple person, and this is her living her best life. Guess she blooms where she’s planted.

What is the basis for the divorce rumors? I doubt these two would ever divorce, let alone right now. But it’s not like I have any special insight into their lives

• Love 18