Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think all babies get cuter around the 3 month mark. When they start to become aware and have life in their eyes and expressions. 

And eyebrows! I always think babies look pretty alien until their eyebrows become more visible.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2020 at 5:26 PM, doodlebug said:

There have been studies on newborns.  People were shown photos of babies and asked to match them up with their parents' photos based on their looks.  Strangers were far more likely to be able to figure out who the father was than the mother; giving rise to the notion that it is genetically/evolutionarily advantageous to resemble the paternal parent. This was especially true back in the days where times were tough and people had to work hard just to survive.

A mother knows her child, she doesn't need a baby to look like her in order to love it and care for it; she gave birth, she knows it's hers.  Meanwhile, the father doesn't have the biologic connection at birth with his child.  But, if he sees the child looks like him; he is going to have an easier time claiming it as his own which will then motivate him to provide food and shelter for it.  Kids who don't resemble their father at birth are more likely to be rejected by him and not provided for as well, which can lead to their early deaths.  Hence, newborns who look like their father are more likely to survive and thrive; so evolution favors them.  Of course, babies change almost daily and end up resembling either parent or neither; but when speaking of newborns, they're more likely to resemble Dad.

Evelyn is one of those babies whose shoes are cute.  Her hat is adorable.  But, all of that could change at any time as she grows.  Look at Felicity who was a very cute baby but is now kinda meh as a toddler.

Very true.  My brother ended up with a woman who was 'estranged' from her husband and supposedly wasn't able to get pregnant, so they found no harm in getting busy.  Surprise, surprise!

My dad had a fit about my brother insisting it was his and was ready to wash his hands of them.  Wouldn't you know it, baby came out looking exactly like my brother and me.  So much so that as a kid she'd see old photos of me and get confused because those weren't her clothes. "Those aren't your clothes, that's your aunt and that was 25 years ago."

Everybody always said God (or evolution, I guess) must have known what He was doing, because there was no way anybody in the family could deny that was my brother's child.  

Sidenote:  They ended up getting married a few  months after my niece was born and stayed together for over 20 years until her passing.  So I guess sometimes it all works out.

Then again, I think very few babies are actually cute (my brother, niece and I are of course the exceptions!) and none of the Duggars have challenged that opinion.  Then again again, I don't think most of them make cute kids and, as adults, are passable at best.

Edited by Sile
Throttle back on the Duggar stuff
  • Love 12

I think what makes babies beautiful to their parents and some family members is that the baby looks like them in some or a lot of ways. I think that goes along with @doodlebug’s thoughts above. Not only for bonding but when I looked at my babies I could see me sometimes, their father sometimes etc. so to me that made them beautiful. They were nice looking babies with no unusual features but that’s all they would have been to strangers. Now I look at the grands the same way. They are all very nice looking children but gorgeous to me and Mr lookeyloo and their parents. So joy looks at her children, sees herself and Austin and is totally smitten. As it should be 

• Love 21
42 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Hey Austin, why don't YOU grab your son so that Joy can properly and securely hold your daughter?  Or, this will be shocking, hold the baby so that Joy can properly hang on to Giddy. 

But that's wimmins work! 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I love how Joy is wrangling baby, diaper bag and toddler, while Austin stands there like a lump. Some things never change.

He's emulating his brother-in-law. Smuggar never helps with the kids either. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What's in Alabama? Anyone?

Me 😂

I couldn’t resist 😉 But seriously, go back from whence you came, folks. ‘Bama already gets heat, we don’t need your brand of crazy too!!! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

It's nice if Daddy pays for the fuel, but can you see Jblob paying for his son-in-law to fly his daughter and kids to Alabama? That's pretty expensive.

And I can confirm that they used one of Duggar Aviation's planes for their transport. I wonder what's really happening down there in Bama?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, awaken said:

Seeing them in the plane scares the crap out of me. Waiting for a disaster to happen. 

I agree, it's only a matter of time. Poorly maintained airplanes plus Duggar pilots is an NTSB investigation waiting to happen. 

• Love 8

I Googled fuel cost for a small plane. Surprisingly, at least to me, its less than I thought.

"The average small plane fuel burn rate is five-to-10 gallons per hour. Aviation fuel is significantly more expensive than typical automotive fuel, averaging $5 dollars per gallon."

So depending how long they were in the air, the flight might have cost under $100.00. Probably not that much more than a road trip if you consider gas, tolls and food.

• Useful 8
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I Googled fuel cost for a small plane. Surprisingly, at least to me, its less than I thought.

"The average small plane fuel burn rate is five-to-10 gallons per hour. Aviation fuel is significantly more expensive than typical automotive fuel, averaging $5 dollars per gallon."

So depending how long they were in the air, the flight might have cost under $100.00. Probably not that much more than a road trip if you consider gas, tolls and food.

Not to mention a road trip from Arkansas to Alabama is going to take a day, at least, depending on where they're going.  Travelling with a toddler and a newborn for 8 or more hours in a car is a special kind of hell, I'd think.  Also,  it might require an overnight stay someplace along the route and more expenses.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Not to mention a road trip from Arkansas to Alabama is going to take a day, at least, depending on where they're going.  Travelling with a toddler and a newborn for 8 or more hours in a car is a special kind of hell, I'd think.  Also,  it might require an overnight stay someplace along the route and more expenses.

Yep, if they can use an airport with low (or no) landing fees, they are basically just out of pocket for the fuel. From experience I can say that if the destination is more than say, a ten hour (or eight hour) car drive, flying even commercially may be at least break-even if not less expensive than driving. By the time you factor in fuel, food, and lodging costs, that "free" car trip can really add up. I have chosen to drive a long distance to visit folks on the East Coast, but it was definitely quite an outlay of time and money, and was motivated in great part by a desire to sight-see on the way there and back. 

And as noted, a long car trip with a newborn and a toddler sounds exhausting!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF7ezhiJqM5/?igshid=j0kzv8j3c7ze

The way she's holding the baby. Ugh. That's not how you hold one! 

I used to hold my baby dolls better than that when I was little.  

13 hours ago, awaken said:

Seeing them in the plane scares the crap out of me. Waiting for a disaster to happen. 

It scared me too when baby Gracie went on her first flight with JD, Abbie and Aunt Jana.  I know these kids will grow up like it's no big deal to fly in one of these unsafe sardine cans but it really upsets me when they take an very young infant along like Evey.  Is it ok to remove baby from car seat? (I realize Duggars aren't big on safety.) How does Joy feed her?  How do you deal with crying spells that babies get for no reason?  I guess it's up to whoever is riding shotgun with the baby to be the caretaker.  

• Love 2

I did a little research and the cost of owning and flying own of those small planes like the Duggars own averages out to be about $200 an hour.  Factors to consider are not just gas, but oil, maintenance and inspection costs, insurance, and storage.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Even if the fuel is around $100 one way that's a lot of money considering Austin doesn't make that much money per week. I mean he's not a licensed contractor, he doesn't do that many houses a year, so that's a lot of money for a family of 4. Unless Daddy is paying. And they just had a baby in a hospital, using insurance or what?

• Useful 2
41 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Even if the fuel is around $100 one way that's a lot of money considering Austin doesn't make that much money per week. I mean he's not a licensed contractor, he doesn't do that many houses a year, so that's a lot of money for a family of 4. Unless Daddy is paying. And they just had a baby in a hospital, using insurance or what?

I'm guessing he makes at least $15,000 per house, @ 2 a year would be $30,000 and they also gets TLC money. A lot of Fundies use an insurance co-op thing called Samaritan. Maybe They have that?

• Love 1

I was at a workplace a few years ago that was considering Samaritan to replace our regular insurance, being pushed by one of the fundies in another department. This was a Christian business, but we all revolted and told him to cram it because by the time you worked through all of their requirements, none of us would have been eligible for insurance. 

That left me pretty jaded, so I sincerely hope nobody is using Samaritan. But it seems right up their alley, sadly. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Samaritan has no guarantee that they will even pay a claim. Great insurance there, you pay them, they keep all the money.

Yep, Samaritan has a board of directors that gets together once a month or so; looks at how much money they've collected in premiums and decides how much of that they're going to spend.  Then, anyone who has submitted a claim is evaluated and the board decides which bills are going to be paid and who is SOL.  For an ongoing health problem, like diabetes or even cancer; they make a decision on the same case every month and it can go either way depending on what other claims came in that month.  So, they could start paying for chemo for a cancer patient, and, after a month or two, reject that month's request and the patient could end up not getting needed treatment.  And, if you have your emergency appendectomy the same month as a lot of others give birth or get their gallbladder removed; you are probably on your own.

Samaritan's Purse also tells all policy holders that, prior to filing a claim, they must go to their doctor, the pharmacy and the hospital; explain that they are a godly Christian, their insurance company doesn't have enough money to pay all claims and to beg the doctor, the hospital and anyone else with a bill to give them a big discount or even write the treatment off.  I believe they require some sort of documentation that this has been done before submitting the claim.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Thomas Middleditch who played Richard on Silicon Valley, is a private pilot. He volunteers his services to transport homeless animals to their furever homes. He talks a little bit about the expenses of flying here.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Thomas Middleditch who played Richard on Silicon Valley, is a private pilot. He volunteers his services to transport homeless animals to their furever homes. He talks a little bit about the expenses of flying here.

My ex BF also works with pilots N Paws every weekend. He is wealthy, lol. Yes, it’s expensive. Thank goodness for these people donating their time and effort.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

My ex BF also works with pilots N Paws every weekend. He is wealthy, lol. Yes, it’s expensive. Thank goodness for these people donating their time and effort.

Doing more good in a modest way than all the Duggars with all their bragging put together.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 18
32 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Doing more good in a modest way than all the Duggars with all their bragging put together.

Absolutely. And without the need for constant selfies and boasting to strangers.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 11

I’ve never understood why people like to jump out of perfectly operating planes. But good for Austin if that was on his bucket list. The lack of masks and all that mingling gives me the creeps. Especially with a newborn. They are God’s chosen, I’m a mere heathen, so mask and social distance it is. We don’t really go out unless necessary since we live in a purple area. 

• Love 18