Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

That child is not cute - a rather unsettling amalgam of  Forsyth nostrils and Duggar. I daresay she'll grow into her features later on. Gideon was odd looking also.

He seems a darling child though and well loved. Let's hope Joy will not have a fuckton of children and end up being like her Mother.

• LOL 3
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I wonder what happened to their dog. Any sightings of the dog recently? 

Isn't it an outside dog? I'm not surprised it doesn't feature in many pics. My family has had both inside and outside dogs for years, and the outdoor dogs tend to be in way less pictures taken of them after their arrival. I don't think the lack of pictures of it, especially with the arrival of a new baby, automatically mean the dog isn't there anymore. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I wonder what happened to their dog. Any sightings of the dog recently? 

Brielle was shown on the latest Covid episode. Her food bowls and a beach towel were seen on the front porch by the door. I hope she gets to go inside when it's oppressively hot or cold. I've seen no evidence of a doghouse in their videos. ☹️

40 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Brielle was shown on the latest Covid episode. Her food bowls and a beach towel were seen on the front porch by the door. I hope she gets to go inside when it's oppressively hot or cold. I've seen no evidence of a doghouse in their videos. ☹️

The lack of a doghouse does alarm me. My grandparents have always kept their blue heelers outside, but the dogs have a doghouse, and they let them in the basement when it is storming or really extreme temps outside. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I haven't watched the video but someone on Reddit said Evy had a positive Coombs test.

Wonder if that's going to affect future pregnancies from here on out. 

What does that mean? Could that mean that Joy is Rh- and Evy is Rh+? (and maybe Gideon as well, but he was the first child so not an issue then?)

22 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

What does that mean? Could that mean that Joy is Rh- and Evy is Rh+? (and maybe Gideon as well, but he was the first child so not an issue then?)

Yes. Or other ABO incompatibilities. It doesn't sound like they went into it any further in the video.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, BitterApple said:

Evy definitely has the kind of features you have to grow into. She'll probably end up looking identical to Austin's sister when it's all said and done.

My opinion, which means absolutely nothing... is that Evy will be gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. And Original Prop, while being an adorable baby/toddler, is losing her looks and is veering into the awkward-looking age. Again, only my useless opinion.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I doubt it's Rh disease, we've got meds to prevent it an it's become pretty rare.  A Coomb's test is done on someone at risk of having antibodies attack their red cells.  It is most likely that Joy's kids are prone to ABO incompatibility, the most common cause of newborn jaundice these days.

Our red blood cells have multiple proteins on their surface.  Rh (or Rhesus, for the monkey in which it was first identified) is one.  ABO are the standard blood groups and it is based on the presence or absence of proteins on the red cells.  There are two proteins, A and B and we all get one gene from each of our parents, meaning we all have two genes for blood type.  A and B are co-dominant.  Type O actually means that person doesn't have either protein present.  Type AB blood has one of each and people with A or B either have 2 genes for the same protein or have 1 gene that is A or B and the other that is absent or O.  

So, Joy is type O, Austin is not.  Presume he is type A since that's the most common blood type amongst white people in the US.  Then. he has at least one gene for A, possibly 2.  That means that at least half and possibly all of their children will be Type A.  So, Gideon was not a type O.  In virtually every pregnancy, some of the baby's blood mixes in the mother's bloodstream, mostly late in the pregnancy or at delivery.  At some point while she carried Gidgeon, Joy's immune system got exposed to the A blood protein, which it had never seen before.  And her immune system did what it does when a foreign protein is detected, it made antibodies to that protein.  So, after Gideon's birth, Joy had anti-A antibodies.  No big deal unless she needs a blood transfusion and gets the wrong type.  Or until she is pregnant with another type A baby.  While pregnant with Evelyn, some of her blood crossed over to Joy, just a few drops, it doesn't take much.  But, this time, because it had already seen that protein, her immune system was prepared, it already knew how to make antibodies and it made a lot more than it had the first time with Gidgeon.  Those antibodies are small enough to cross the placenta and enter the fetus' circulation where they attack the red blood cells and destroy them.  The dead cells release bilirubin which causes jaundice.  In extreme cases, it can lead to severe anemia, heart failure and death.

The immune reaction gets stronger each time the body is exposed, so, each baby has a higher risk and is more likely to be more severely affected than prior kids.  Some babies even need exchange transfusions due to the severe anemia.  Joy will have either a 50% or 100% risk of this with every pregnancy from here on out depending on Austin's genetic makeup.

s

Doodlebug I am so glad you're on here to provide this useful information!  I have a question - do you think this could have led to the stillbirth with Annabelle?

Hopefully they get good medical advice and slow things down in the future. This seems like a pretty risky thing to do over and over and over.

Also, now I want to call Giddy Gidgeon always.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I doubt it's Rh disease, we've got meds to prevent it an it's become pretty rare.  A Coomb's test is done on someone at risk of having antibodies attack their red cells.  It is most likely that Joy's kids are prone to ABO incompatibility, the most common cause of newborn jaundice these days.

Our red blood cells have multiple proteins on their surface.  Rh (or Rhesus, for the monkey in which it was first identified) is one.  ABO are the standard blood groups and it is based on the presence or absence of proteins on the red cells.  There are two proteins, A and B and we all get one gene from each of our parents, meaning we all have two genes for blood type.  A and B are co-dominant.  Type O actually means that person doesn't have either protein present.  Type AB blood has one of each and people with A or B either have 2 genes for the same protein or have 1 gene that is A or B and the other that is absent or O.  

So, Joy is type O, Austin is not.  Presume he is type A since that's the most common blood type amongst white people in the US.  Then. he has at least one gene for A, possibly 2.  That means that at least half and possibly all of their children will be Type A.  So, Gideon was not a type O.  In virtually every pregnancy, some of the baby's blood mixes in the mother's bloodstream, mostly late in the pregnancy or at delivery.  At some point while she carried Gidgeon, Joy's immune system got exposed to the A blood protein, which it had never seen before.  And her immune system did what it does when a foreign protein is detected, it made antibodies to that protein.  So, after Gideon's birth, Joy had anti-A antibodies.  No big deal unless she needs a blood transfusion and gets the wrong type.  Or until she is pregnant with another type A baby.  While pregnant with Evelyn, some of her blood crossed over to Joy, just a few drops, it doesn't take much.  But, this time, because it had already seen that protein, her immune system was prepared, it already knew how to make antibodies and it made a lot more than it had the first time with Gidgeon.  Those antibodies are small enough to cross the placenta and enter the fetus' circulation where they attack the red blood cells and destroy them.  The dead cells release bilirubin which causes jaundice.  In extreme cases, it can lead to severe anemia, heart failure and death.

The immune reaction gets stronger each time the body is exposed, so, each baby has a higher risk and is more likely to be more severely affected than prior kids.  Some babies even need exchange transfusions due to the severe anemia.  Joy will have either a 50% or 100% risk of this with every pregnancy from here on out depending on Austin's genetic makeup.

s

Thank you for explaining that. I'd heard of it, but wasn't sure what it meant exactly. I hope this puts the brakes on the baby train for them. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

Doodlebug I am so glad you're on here to provide this useful information!  I have a question - do you think this could have led to the stillbirth with Annabelle?

Hopefully they get good medical advice and slow things down in the future. This seems like a pretty risky thing to do over and over and over.

Also, now I want to call Giddy Gidgeon always.

No, I am sure it is not what happened with Annabelle.  Most stillbirths are unexplained.

13 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I doubt this will put the breaks on the baby train long term, but Evelyn is still a newborn. I hope Evelyn gets at least a year of being the baby, but it's she won't. 

I don't think it will slow them down, either.  Maybe if they have a severely affected baby who needs delivered prematurely and gets an exchange transfusion.  But, that is very unlikely to happen even if they have a bunch of kids.  ABO just doesn't tend to affect babies that severely in utero.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 8
43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

No, I am sure it is not what happened with Annabelle.  Most stillbirths are unexplained.

I don't think it will slow them down, either.  Maybe if they have a severely affected baby who needs delivered prematurely and gets an exchange transfusion.  But, that is very unlikely to happen even if they have a bunch of kids.  ABO just doesn't tend to affect babies that severely in utero.

So, the most treatment Joy can expect for future babies is the bilirubin light?

22 hours ago, Zella said:

The lack of a doghouse does alarm me. My grandparents have always kept their blue heelers outside, but the dogs have a doghouse, and they let them in the basement when it is storming or really extreme temps outside. 

None of the Duggars seem to have any love for furry friends. 

• Love 7

And there it is, a good reason to have a baby delivered at least with a competent midwife (and preferably at a hospital or a birthing center). I wonder if Jill had similar issues with Sam, who was also the second baby? If Joy is Type O, then that means that both JB and Michelle are at least carrying it, if not Type O themselves. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

4 pictures, second is a video:

Who filmed it?

Next to "There's a Justin/Jason?", the most frequently asked question is "Who took the pic/filmed it?".

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

"The kids" wanted to get out of the house? That baby is demanding now.

Why do all of the Duggar and Duggar-adjacent peeps' kitchen renovations/builds look the same?

Because all the imagination was beaten out of them as children, so they're only able to copy what they've seen done before.

• Love 3

I mean, they are fixing these homes up to sell.  I was under the impression that builders and the like tend to keep things pretty generic to appeal to a wider market.  Imposing your own style on the house/kitchen can put off buyers because it's just not "them".  Better to have a nice white kitchen that is easily imagined in various styles with different colors of accessories or decorative touches.  If it's some styled thing, it looks like it will be work and money to change it, which a lot of buyers are just not interested in, especially if it's a recent remodel.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, ouinason said:

I mean, they are fixing these homes up to sell.  I was under the impression that builders and the like tend to keep things pretty generic to appeal to a wider market.  Imposing your own style on the house/kitchen can put off buyers because it's just not "them".  Better to have a nice white kitchen that is easily imagined in various styles with different colors of accessories or decorative touches.  If it's some styled thing, it looks like it will be work and money to change it, which a lot of buyers are just not interested in, especially if it's a recent remodel.

That’s what I thought too. I also think these houses are in similar neighborhoods and price points- makes sense to me that they are the same. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Why do all of the Duggar and Duggar-adjacent peeps' kitchen renovations/builds look the same?

thank Chip and Joanna Gaines and one of their greatest fans Jana.  7 houses have sold on our small street during the pandemic. all look pretty much like this. white cabinets, white tile, stainless appliances and laminate wood floor. every wall white or grey. zero color.

the duggars are amazingly on trend with the reno/flips.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, crazy8s said:

thank Chip and Joanna Gaines and one of their greatest fans Jana.  7 houses have sold on our small street during the pandemic. all look pretty much like this. white cabinets, white tile, stainless appliances and laminate wood floor. every wall white or grey. zero color.

the duggars are amazingly on trend with the reno/flips.

They sell faster that way is my understanding. Paint is cheap if anyone wants to add color. Plus furnishings and something bright hanging on the walls can accomplish a lot.  We painted all the rooms in this house before we moved in because the other folks liked their color. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Giddy-up looks like Joy with Austin's nose and Evelyn is all Austin. I don't see much of Joy in her at all, but that may change as she grows.

Well Evelyn is a baby. Babies are supposed to look dad for evolutionary purposes. (Basically it helps dad bond with the kid.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I've often noticed that the most "unique" looking babies and toddlers grow up to be the most beautiful adults. I think Evelyn will grow into her nose eventually. It's just a very large, adult feature on a baby face.

• Love 12