Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

But they seemed like they were generating publicity for their own Youtube channel/ Instagram, rather than TLC. I mean, has a Duggar spawn ever posted a birthing video before? Usually we get a TLC webisode/ special episode instead.

That's certainly possible, but I'm not sure that means they are leaving TLC either. It will be interesting to see what happens, especially if they do bolt after all. 

• Love 2

Did the video cutoff before showing Evelyn?  Joy did seem high, and I laughed when she said no more kids.  Who hasn’t.  The Bates sisters have much easier deliveries than the Duggars.  Much calmer to watch.  Of course, their pregnancies aren’t easy, for those with the clotting factor.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

But they seemed like they were generating publicity for their own Youtube channel/ Instagram, rather than TLC. I mean, has a Duggar spawn ever posted a birthing video before? Usually we get a TLC webisode/ special episode instead.

I think with the pandemic and all the disruption of filming schedules for reality TV and everything else, they probably wanted to get the story out there and get some clicks from their followers since there is no telling how soon the show will be able to pick up and move forward.  Even pre-pandemic, the show was about a year behind in showing births.  

I don't think their current posting habits are necessarily indicative of anything except that times are strange.  It could be that they will already have ANOTHER kid before TLC gets around to covering this birth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Joy and Austin are smart to make content on YouTube.  Even if the show on TLC ends, if they build up a loyal fan base, they can still make $$ doing YouTube.  

Assuming youtube stays strong as a platform and doesn't take stronger measures to protect children's privacy. I've seen youtubers say they're worried about the longevity of the site. I suppose something else could replace youtube eventually, but there are always trade-offs and risks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Assuming youtube stays strong as a platform and doesn't take stronger measures to protect children's privacy. I've seen youtubers say they're worried about the longevity of the site. I suppose something else could replace youtube eventually, but there are always trade-offs and risks. 

I think YouTube will be around a good long while, but I can see them demonetizing channels that heavily feature minor children. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Joy and Austin are smart to make content on YouTube.  Even if the show on TLC ends, if they build up a loyal fan base, they can still make $$ doing YouTube.  

They’d be smarter to be more private and stop exploiting their kids, IMO. Austin is perfectly capable of providing.

40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think YouTube will be around a good long while, but I can see them demonetizing channels that heavily feature minor children. 

As they should!

• Love 15
18 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Thereby neatly and efficiently avoiding all of the inconvenience to JB of having to monitor their income flowing into his wallet, keeping it all tidy and completely correct and accounted for, and all the fuss and bother of deciding if and when he might consider distributing it to them.  I am so relieved to hear they are being so considerate to possibly take on the burden themselves and reduce JB's workload. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

YouTube as a platform hasn't been sustainable for content creators for a looooooong time. The amount people get from ads is a pittance compared to their heyday.

It's why most content creators have moved to Patreon and upload to YouTube a few days later. 

Joy and Austin's videos are probably less time and labor intensive to make than others, but they aren't going to make a living off this. Eventually it'll be more effort than it is worth. 

This site estimates they make $1330 per video. It's probably a lot lower than that because more popular content creators have stated they make much less per video. 

https://influencermarketinghub.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

• Useful 8
  • Love 3
On 9/5/2020 at 11:22 PM, absnow54 said:

Jinger, the show’s “breakout star” would like to have a word with you. 

Please hold, she will be with you momentarily.   First Jeremy needs to select the appropriate outfits, get glammed, get Jinger to press the perfect pocket square, direct Jinger's glam session and compose her response.  Then he will direct the lighting and camera crews, stage the appropriate background, and take a seat and position his puppet just so on his knee.   

Nobody will even detect Jeremy's lips moving when Jinger sets @doodlebug straight about THE breakout star(s) of the show.

• LOL 18
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Pixie Chicken said:

There's plenty of reasons to stop having children before you get to 8 or 10 or 20 of them, but getting "one of each" isn't necessarily the ideal for everyone and doesn't mean Joy should stop now. 

I have three. I wanted three. They all happen to be boys, but I can't tell you how many times friends and even strangers have told me I should try "one more time" for a girl or said things like, "Oh, was the third supposed to be your girl?" IN FRONT OF MY KIDS. (My husband gets the opposite, generally from men -- "you lucked out, no girls!") My youngest was very much wanted, regardless of the sex of my older two. 

We snark on the Duggars for their rigid ideas of gender, but the idea that every family should have one (or some) of each exists in society in general. A lot of this is based in gender roles too -- boys grow up and leave their families of origin, girls will take care of you in old age, moms need girls to dress up, boys have to carry on the family name, etc. 

Joy and Austin should have as many as they want, so long as her health and their financial and family circumstances allow it.

I used to get the opposite response: I had a boy, then a girl, and was pregnant with my third baby. People would tell us we "ruined the perfect millionaire family" because we already had one of each. Ugh.

I hope people refrain from those kinds of comments with Joy amd Austin, since they also lost a daughter, which makesnot even worse to comment about in my opinion. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 9/7/2020 at 9:30 AM, Pixie Chicken said:

I have three. I wanted three. They all happen to be boys, but I can't tell you how many times friends and even strangers have told me I should try "one more time" for a girl or said things like, "Oh, was the third supposed to be your girl?" IN FRONT OF MY KIDS. (My husband gets the opposite, generally from men -- "you lucked out, no girls!") My youngest was very much wanted, regardless of the sex of my older two. 

People actually say this shit to you?? That’s AWFUL! I’m so sorry. 

I don’t know what’s wrong with people. Women just can’t win- if we don’t have kids we are criticized, if we have one we are criticized etc etc. 

I would think people wouldn’t be so hateful and ignorant to say such things to Joy-Anna, but I won’t hold my breath. 

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That's an Urban Decay pallette. Same one she had at the hospital.

Those suckers cost around 55 bucks at Ulta.  A lot of dough, IMO, for a young couple with a couple of kids.  They must be doing alright moneywise.

• Love 12
On 9/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, Pixie Chicken said:

There's plenty of reasons to stop having children before you get to 8 or 10 or 20 of them, but getting "one of each" isn't necessarily the ideal for everyone and doesn't mean Joy should stop now. 

We snark on the Duggars for their rigid ideas of gender, but the idea that every family should have one (or some) of each exists in society in general. A lot of this is based in gender roles too -- boys grow up and leave their families of origin, girls will take care of you in old age, moms need girls to dress up, boys have to carry on the family name, etc. 

Joy and Austin should have as many as they want, so long as her health and their financial and family circumstances allow it.

My parents had 5 girls and 1 boy.  I cannot count the number of times people have said, 'Oh, kept on trying until they got a boy!'  No, he was #4 out of 6.  My parents, particularly my Dad since  it is usually supposed to be the guy who wants sons, was very happy to have lots of daughters and said so all the time.  My youngest sister was born after a 9+year gap when my parents were in their 40's.  Plenty of people also indicated that we must be disappointed she wasn't a boy.  Nope, not ever.  I will say that when my mother was pregnant, we referred to our future sibling as Baby Brian because we figured the law of averages were favoring a boy; but when she turned out not to be a Brian; I don't recall any of us thinking twice about it.

One of my sisters was certain she would have a girl with her first child, just sure of it.  She worked in retail children's clothing and was constantly pointing out stuff she would buy for her daughter.  Then, my nephew was born.  First thing she said to me was 'What was a I thinking?  A baby boy is just perfect!  A boy is just what we needed!'  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
54 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Those suckers cost around 55 bucks at Ulta.  A lot of dough, IMO, for a young couple with a couple of kids.  They must be doing alright moneywise.

It also looks a lot like the Ulta brand pallette I have...and I scored one on clearance once for about $4.50 (one of the colors had gotten broken up).

• Love 7
On 9/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, Pixie Chicken said:

I have 3 girls. We wanted healthy babies; neither of us cared about their sex. But I get asked if we were going to or tried for a boy. Or if my husband is sad he didn’t have a boy. Nope.   My husband also gets comments about how sorry people are for him having to deal with all girls. No one ever says that to me—and they drive me the craziest!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

My friend is an OB ultrasound tech. She says when people are obviously disappointed about the sex of the baby, it’s always the dad having a tantrum the baby is a girl. I think it is so frequent that it is slowly killing my friend’s faith in humanity.

On topic: Joy’s makeup could be a present. Several years ago we were BROKE. So very broke. My MIL loves to give gifts, and my sister worked at Fleet Feet and gave me shoes that were discontinued, so while we were BROKE I had (too small) Brooks shoes and a Vera Bradley purse. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

My friend is an OB ultrasound tech. She says when people are obviously disappointed about the sex of the baby, it’s always the dad having a tantrum the baby is a girl. I think it is so frequent that it is slowly killing my friend’s faith in humanity.

On topic: Joy’s makeup could be a present. Several years ago we were BROKE. So very broke. My MIL loves to give gifts, and my sister worked at Fleet Feet and gave me shoes that were discontinued, so while we were BROKE I had (too small) Brooks shoes and a Vera Bradley purse. 

Yeah it could have been a gift.  That's the Naked Reloaded palette that came out last year.  I could see someone like the Bates girl gifting it to Joy last year after she lost Annabelle.  Also, it's available at Ulta and Ulta has a great rewards program if you make all of your purchases there.  I use them almost exclusively for myself and have redeemed my points for some nice stuff I would never have paid full retail for.  

• Useful 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Someone needs to remind these men that it's the sperm which determines the sex of the baby.  And more importantly, to be grateful for a healthy child.  

On topic: It's lovely to see Joy looking so happy!  

• Love 24
23 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

This comment happened almost 30 years & it still irritates me to no end.

A few of us were speculating about the number of children we would end up with.  The others had two at the time & I had just one (who ended up being our only.) My one friend said if she had the choice of having only one child or none,  she wouldn't have any.  She said it with the assumption that having just one child automatically turns them into a spoiled brat & her viewpoint was the  correct one. That may be true in some cases but certainly not with my son. He ended up being our only child because of health problems on my side that worsened after he was born. 

I feel like I made a mountain out of a molehill at her comment but like I said after all these years it still irks me. No one knows the reasoning for the number of kids a couple has (or if they have any) except for the couple involved.

Back on topic: Luckily neither of our families asked when or if children were coming along in our family.  I can't imagine being the Duggs or Bates & being asked if you are pregnant as soon as you come home from your honeymoon.  

If being an only is what makes a kid a spoiled brat, what is the explanation for Josh Duggar?  Spoiled brats come from all sorts of families.

I am a frickin' gynecologist and I never, ever, ever, ever, ever asked any of my siblings if they were pregnant; even the one whose kids I delivered.  I figured I'd find out soon enough.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 20
20 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

This comment happened almost 30 years & it still irritates me to no end.

A few of us were speculating about the number of children we would end up with.  The others had two at the time & I had just one (who ended up being our only.) My one friend said if she had the choice of having only one child or none,  she wouldn't have any.  She said it with the assumption that having just one child automatically turns them into a spoiled brat & her viewpoint was the  correct one. That may be true in some cases but certainly not with my son. He ended up being our only child because of health problems on my side that worsened after he was born. 

I feel like I made a mountain out of a molehill at her comment but like I said after all these years it still irks me. No one knows the reasoning for the number of kids a couple has (or if they have any) except for the couple involved.

Back on topic: Luckily neither of our families asked when or if children were coming along in our family.  I can't imagine being the Duggs or Bates & being asked if you are pregnant as soon as you come home from your honeymoon.  

I agree.  We were one & done too.  I had an easy pregnancy but a rough delivery.  We don't regret having an only daughter.

Wasn't it Jill (pre-rebel Jill) the one that asked Jinjer "are you pregnant?"  And Jessa said "I told them not to ask."  Our siblings all had kids before we did, and I didn't feel at all pressured, but with this Duggar bunch, I'm sure they get asked all the time.

• Love 7
On 8/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, leighdear said:

Elegant has nothing to do with a name that will be rednecked into "Evy Mae".  It's a hick name, as is appropriate.  Evelyn will only be used on the marriage certificate she signs at 18, when her parents sell her virginity to a local yokel. 

And Joy couldn't even find a decent top to wear, pulling out a wrinkled, drab & stretched out t-shirt from the laundry basket ?  And of course she's barefoot.  So many fails, and another potato baby joins the planet.  

I’ve been fighting the redneck/hick opinion of my name my entire life. My middle name is a feminized version of my dad’s middle name.  My name actually rhymes with Ellie Mae. I had finally started embracing my name. ☹️  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't imagine being the Duggs or Bates & being asked if you are pregnant as soon as you come home from your honeymoon.  

Or probably anytime get see their sibling. Didn’t Jill use a pregnancy test from Jessa or something?  Am I remembering that wrong? 

21 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

IIRC Jill snuck over to the TTH and “stole” a pregnancy test from Meeechelle’s stash. Quite the hijinks.

Didn't she just go downstairs and announce her pregnancy? I remember it being in the living room of the TTH, and there was a bible study going on. Upon hearing the news, Joy jumped out of her chair and her bible went flying.

• Love 5
On 9/9/2020 at 10:22 PM, Scarlett45 said:

People actually say this shit to you?? That’s AWFUL! I’m so sorry. 

I don’t know what’s wrong with people. Women just can’t win- if we don’t have kids we are criticized, if we have one we are criticized etc etc. 

I would think people wouldn’t be so hateful and ignorant to say such things to Joy-Anna, but I won’t hold my breath. 

It's women who are the worst, but you're right -- we can't win. People with one kid are destined to have weirdos, but more than two is selfish and ruining the planet. I'm a SAHM and I'm either "a good mom who actually wants to raise her own kids" (gag) or a terrible waste of potential for leaving a career. For my situation, it just made more sense, financially and otherwise,  but that, like everything else, invites comment.  

I'm a witch, though, and the comments roll off. I had a lot of complications, so when people are really crass about Baby Boy #3, I sometimes respond with, "Oh, him? Yeah, he almost died in utero, so I'm actually fine with him having a penis." Hopefully the commenters think twice before saying things like that again. 

I feel for the Duggars for getting so much flak -- not the truly terrible stuff, because some of the criticism is warranted, but the nitpicking over benign stuff.  On the other hand, they're bound to hear it from strangers just by existing in a grocery store or at a park, so why they'd invite extra critique by posting so much of their lives online is beyond me. 

• Love 15