Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, floridamom said:

Gideon is a thumb sucker?  Ew.

14 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Why "ew" about Gideon sucking his thumb? Does that mean there's something terribly wrong with him?

Yeah, that seems darn close to saying "ew" about a baby peeing himself. My grandson tried to French kiss my shoe the other day. He's not gross; he's a baby. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
On 10/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, Portia said:

Yeah, that seems darn close to saying "ew" about a baby peeing himself. My grandson tried to French kiss my shoe the other day. He's not gross; he's a baby. 

I actually think a kid can be both gross and a baby, but maybe that is just me...

Agreed that attributing agency to them for this stuff is a bit much, however. But I'm sure Duggars do.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Isn’t Colorado on fire? Never mind that, they’re there to kill stuff!

I think they hunt for meat to put on the table. Thats something my family has done. If they did not do that there were times we would not have had meat.

• Love 3

I'm not a hunter. None of my family hunts. My family calls me a meat eating vegetarian because if I think too much about my actual source of meat, I have a hard time. But I love meat. Interestingly, I'm able to watch Life Below Zero (probably because they never hunt what I actually eat) and totally understand hunting for food. I don't see it as a fun thing to do at all, but I get it.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think it's dumb for Austin to travel to Colorado during a pandemic, but that's true of all of the trekking these morons have been doing. 

And I'd definitely rather see them travel into the woods or sparsely inhabited countryside than into a packed auditorium or recreational facility/campsite crammed with people. 

So I'm not inclined to quarrel with their hunting trip much, as long we don't do to the elk what we did to the buffalo. (although I wouldn't put it past us...) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And I'd definitely rather see them travel into the woods or sparsely inhabited countryside than into a packed auditorium or recreational facility/campsite crammed with people. 

So I'm not inclined to quarrel with their hunting much, as long as we don't do to the elk what we did to the buffalo. (although I wouldn't put it past us...) 

Yeah that's true about wilderness versus a more packed venue. 

On the subject of elk, they've actually introduced an elk herd into Ponca in Newton County. (Elk used to be here but were gone by the 1800s.) This is the next county over from Madison County, where Austin is from. Only very limited hunting of them allowed, but there's a pretty good herd that has developed in the past couple of decades. I like to drive over there at least once a year to try to see them, but they usually play hide and seek with me! They're a stunning sight when they're out and about, though! 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think they hunt for meat to put on the table. Thats something my family has done. If they did not do that there were times we would not have had meat.

Austin had to travel all the way to Colorado to kill for food? I don’t believe that.

33 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I know this is probably not a popular opinion to have on this forum, but my family hunts for meat, too, and I don't have a problem with it as long as people are following the hunting laws and using the meat. 

I think it's dumb for Austin to travel to Colorado during a pandemic, but that's true of all of the trekking these morons have been doing. 

But does your family travel long distances to hunt for it?

19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not a hunter. None of my family hunts. My family calls me a meat eating vegetarian because if I think too much about my actual source of meat, I have a hard time. But I love meat. Interestingly, I'm able to watch Life Below Zero (probably because they never hunt what I actually eat) and totally understand hunting for food. I don't see it as a fun thing to do at all, but I get it.

I’m a meat eating vegetarian, too. And sometimes I struggle with it. I just don’t believe Austin and Joy were lacking in any food to put on their table. I think he’s hunting for sport.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

But does your family travel long distances to hunt for it?

Not anymore, but they used to do trips to Colorado in the past. Like I said, I know it's not a popular opinion on the board. But it just doesn't bother me as long as they're doing it legally and using the meat. It's traveling during the pandemic that bothers me, but that goes for anything. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12

I don't care if he hunts especially for food but during a pandemic and during numerous Colorado wildfires? Do they even watch the news to see what's going on in the country? Somehow I doubt it. Next post from Joy "Austin went hunting and got his eyebrows singed!". 🙁

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This is me! There have been many a chicken meal that I haven't eaten because of the prep. I have no problem with hunting for food and even as a control for habitat. I have a HUGE problem with hunting for pleasure. Like big game hunting. 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

How would Austin get the meat home from CO if he is 'successful'?

They probably have it processed in Colorado and then take it back in coolers/ice chests. 

Edited to add: I am pretty sure there are restrictions on just taking a whole one back due to chronic wasting disease. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6

What difference would taking a whole one make if the animal had chronic wasting disease? Do they test before they eat it? That's the one thing that makes me very wary of eating game. Besides the fact that I don't even like meat. And I have cooked meat once- made my great-grandmother's saurbraten, which required a 2 hour phone call with my mother who couldnt' exactly remember the recipe. Ugh.

Edited by Chicklet
3 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

What difference would taking a whole one make if the animal had chronic wasting disease? Do they test before they eat it? That's the one thing that makes me very wary of eating game. Besides the fact that I don't even like meat.

Because it can be carried in the spine/brain. There are tests for it. I don't really know what they do in Colorado, but I know CWD is a significant issue in places there. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

It can also be transmitted via saliva, feces, and most any part of a carcass so they still could come into contact with the organism. And Colorado has a large issue with the disease according to the USGS maps.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

It can also be transmitted via saliva, feces, and most any part of a carcass so they still could come into contact with the organism. And Colorado has a large issue with the disease according to the USGS maps.

Which is why the rule usually is they want dressed meat not on a bone when you are transporting it to other states because they don't want you to dispose of infected carcass parts into the environment for local animals to come into contact with. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
1 minute ago, Chicklet said:

Makes sense. Wouldn't they have flown there in one of their planes? I mean Austin and probably one of those other guys would be a pilot since I can't identify them at all.

They may have. I just assumed they drove because I forget about their planes. I was going to say flying in your own private plane would probably be safer than driving through a bunch of states during a pandemic, but with a Duggar/Duggar adjacent behind the controls, I will retract that "safer" statement! 😉 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

I don't care if he hunts especially for food but during a pandemic and during numerous Colorado wildfires? Do they even watch the news to see what's going on in the country? Somehow I doubt it. Next post from Joy "Austin went hunting and got his eyebrows singed!". 🙁

Well, that would at least be an appropriate consequence! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Zella said:

They may have. I just assumed they drove because I forget about their planes. I was going to say flying in your own private plane would probably be safer than driving through a bunch of states during a pandemic, but with a Duggar/Duggar adjacent behind the controls, I will retract that "safer" statement! 😉 

There are pics of four guys and a large pickup. I think I saw Austin's truck in another picture. I didn't see any activity on the Duggar planes (Austin flew one to their skydiving adventure, so he has access to them), so I am thinking they drove a couple of trucks. 

• Useful 4
17 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

There are pics of four guys and a large pickup. I think I saw Austin's truck in another picture. I didn't see any activity on the Duggar planes (Austin flew one to their skydiving adventure, so he has access to them), so I am thinking they drove a couple of trucks. 

Depending on where they are in Colorado, that could be a long drive. I wonder how long Austin will be gone.

Interesting that Carlin and not a Duggar sister is hanging out and supporting Joy, while Austin is hunting.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Depending on where they are in Colorado, that could be a long drive. I wonder how long Austin will be gone.

Interesting that Carlin and not a Duggar sister is hanging out and supporting Joy, while Austin is hunting.

I get the impression that Carlin and Joy are genuinely friends in a way that Joy probably isn't with any of her actual sisters. The age gap between Joy and the other girls might be part of it. I think it's as dumb for Carlin to come to Arkansas as it is for Austin to go to Colorado, but I do think Carlin and Joy do seem have a real connection of friendship moreso than most of the other "sweet friends" in the fundie world. 

• Love 24

Who are those guys hunting with Austin?  Is that Jed or Jason?  The other two guys do not look familiar at all.  

I do not come from a hunting family, but I have no objection to hunting for food, as long as all the rules and quotas are followed.  Trophy hunting, however, is inexcusable, IMO.

Colorado is a big state.  They may be far away from the fires.  I do question the wisdom of going during a pandemic, but these folks obviously do not care.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I get the impression that Carlin and Joy are genuinely friends in a way that Joy probably isn't with any of her actual sisters. The age gap between Joy and the other girls might be part of it. I think it's as dumb for Carlin to come to Arkansas as it is for Austin to go to Colorado, but I do think Carlin and Joy do seem have a real connection of friendship moreso than most of the other "sweet friends" in the fundie world. 

Austin probably has more in common with Evan than Jeremy, Derick, and maybe even Ben. Joy did seem close to Jill, but Austin and Derick are very different from each other. 

Joy and Carlin seem close as well, and they probably share the same values. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Austin probably has more in common with Evan than Jeremy, Derick, and maybe even Ben. Joy did seem close to Jill, but Austin and Derick are very different from each other. 

Joy and Carlin seem close as well, and they probably share the same values. 

Wasn't Joy in Jill's buddy group? I do believe that relationship is close (or at least was prior to the estrangement), but I also think she probably sees Jill as a substitute mom, especially since there's several years between them in age, and that makes it a very different relationship than the one she has with Carlin. I imagine Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger had more sisterly interactions, both positive and negative, than they had with Joy because they were closer in age. Joy always felt sort of shoehorned into that group (at least to me), which probably also explains why she seemed closer to some of her brothers who are closer to her in age. 

• Love 8