Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

So in addition to all coming down with COVID they will all have lyme disease at the same time from all the posing in the weeds. Fun times.

FWIW, they finally picked the right time of year to stand in the grass. The ticks and chiggers here have packed up for the winter and won't really be an issue until spring. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I have worked with graduates of the NYC school system whose grammar, spelling and syntax were far worse than anything I have ever seen from the Duggars and they were no math or science geniuses either. I don't think the SOTDRT was that bad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I have worked with graduates of the NYC school system whose grammar, spelling and syntax were far worse than anything I have ever seen from the Duggars and they were no math or science geniuses either. I don't think the SOTDRT was that bad.

Yeah... If anyone here was to analyze my grammar and syntax here they would be like O.O when it comes out I have two advanced degrees. 

The students I've taught over the years would tear me apart for docking them marks on syntax and grammar. 😂

The Duggars seem to have missed out on the other aspects of education though. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, crazy8s said:

maybe answered my own question Carlin and Evan had pics by the same photographer around the same time

Hmmm, they don't live near each other so that makes me think Carlin must have been visiting Joy during that time. Carlin is no friend if she co-signed Joy wearing that Goddess nightie for a professional photoshoot.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Y'all.... voice to text ruins all grammar.  I just live my life assuming that everyone just speaks the comment, adds the hashtags or ats and then doesn't proof read, like I do.  

Voice to text, a hurried post, a distracted post, a tired post, untamed dyslexia, or whatever. I don't get too caught up in the grammar of posts on here or on SM. (nor do I put in any effort) However, if I was an influencer, real or wanna-be, I would put some effort into the posts I'm putting out to the masses.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Hmmm, they don't live near each other so that makes me think Carlin must have been visiting Joy during that time. Carlin is no friend if she co-signed Joy wearing that Goddess nightie for a professional photoshoot.

also same photographer did Carlin and Evan's baby announcement with the ultrasound pics.  dariankaiaphotography on instagram has both Joy and Austin pics and Carlin and Evan pics in the 1 month ago time frame.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ouinason said:

Y'all.... voice to text ruins all grammar.  I just live my life assuming that everyone just speaks the comment, adds the hashtags or ats and then doesn't proof read, like I do.  

I type out everything. I can’t imagine not at least skimming over my comments for errors (even though some sneak in). But YMMV, obviously.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I type out everything. I can’t imagine not at least skimming over my comments for errors (even though some sneak in). But YMMV, obviously.

I type out everything and also proofread for errors.  I will even do my own quick research to make sure what I am posting is correct.  Thesaurus dot com is always on standby to make sure I am using a word correctly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Joy's development depresses me. She's gone from a bubbly tomboy to someone who seems to be quadrupling down on All Things Fundie. Her IG reflects that. I never thought that sweet Joy would be the one upvoting hateful Parler posts but here we are.

I've also noticed a difference since she had Evelyn. Maybe because she had a girl and now feels the need to be the Perfect Role Model or something, but it's all God, her proper place in the world, etc. I wonder if she's not adjusting to having two small children as well as she thinks she should so she's quadrupling down on being the Best Fundie Ever.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Joy's development depresses me. She's gone from a bubbly tomboy to someone who seems to be quadrupling down on All Things Fundie. Her IG reflects that. I never thought that sweet Joy would be the one upvoting hateful Parler posts but here we are.

I've also noticed a difference since she had Evelyn. Maybe because she had a girl and now feels the need to be the Perfect Role Model or something, but it's all God, her proper place in the world, etc. I wonder if she's not adjusting to having two small children as well as she thinks she should so she's quadrupling down on being the Best Fundie Ever.

Agree, and I still think Austin is a Proud Boy. It’s sad.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Agree, and I still think Austin is a Proud Boy. It’s sad.

Yeah I was always neutral on Austin. He seemed happy enough with Jill and a hands-on parent. But lately he looks like he's out of Proud Boys central casting.

One of Austin's hunting buddies doesn't just give off Proud Boys vibes he practically is breaking the circuit with Proud Boy pings.

https://www.instagram.com/jeffdanker/

Check out his page. Ugh.

Here's Jeff's excuse" for not wearing a mask:

Truth is I don’t wear a mask because I believe it hurts you way worse than not wearing one. I tried and it gave me a horrible headache. They say we should listen to the Scientists...But the truth is they are for the most part all corrupt! It’s all agenda related! I’m a free man and I will not kneel or bow down to no one except my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! As dim as our country looks right now just remember God is still in control! If your a Christian He is working all this stuff for good for your life. It may not feel like it but He is in control!! Romans 8:28. Study that in depth!! Now if you don’t know Christ, well all you have is this world and an eternity in Hell. I pray God will change your heart. #Godisincontrol #romans8:28 #walkbyfaith #clownsonfoxnews #Heisincontrol

I just really think Joy doesn't think much at all, so I don't think she shares the same actual Proud Boy type beliefs as Austin. I don't think she's dumb, I think she lives life in the moment without much worry. If Austin thinks its cool to be anti-mask, Joy will too. Not because she's a mindless, spineless helpmeet, but because that is what others are doing and it makes enough sense to her on the surface.

As far as racism and such, I really, again, don't think Joy thinks beyond the surface and wouldn't see the racism. And she's not alone, although some folks are truly and intentionally racist, some are also clueless and some do mental gymnastics to make their actions, or non-actions, okay. Joy falls in the clueless category. Joy would not be alone in thinking, "I don't hate POC", so I'm not racist - full stop.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I wonder where that first picture was taken. The handmade sign saying, For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, Fear not, I will help you. And the camera up near the ceiling. At first I thought the TTH, but I don't remember them having wainscoting anywhere in their home.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder where that first picture was taken. The handmade sign saying, For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, Fear not, I will help you. And the camera up near the ceiling. At first I thought the TTH, but I don't remember them having wainscoting anywhere in their home.

I think it’s at the hospital. They brought a bunch of stuff to hang in the room, some them were “birth affirmations “.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I think it’s at the hospital. They brought a bunch of stuff to hang in the room, some them were “birth affirmations “.

Who hangs fairy lights in their hospital room?  I agree that it's the hospital room but the staff must have thought they were nuts for decorating every inch!

• Love 12
23 hours ago, louannems said:

Who hangs fairy lights in their hospital room?  I agree that it's the hospital room but the staff must have thought they were nuts for decorating every inch!

Joy and Austin did, I remember it from the video.

There are plenty of other reasons that the nurses might've wondered about them, the fairy lights are the least of it,

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

CTjtw5Y.jpeg

Am I crazy or is it borderline abusive to send a toddler to walk through the snow wearing a dress with tights and no boots? I even zoomed the pic, but it looks to me like she has nothing but tights and, presumably regular shoes on. Her little feet must've been icicles.  For that matter, both of those kids should've been wearing hats.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Am I crazy or is it borderline abusive to send a toddler to walk through the snow wearing a dress with tights and no boots? I even zoomed the pic, but it looks to me like she has nothing but tights and, presumably regular shoes on. Her little feet must've been icicles.  For that matter, both of those kids should've been wearing hats.

They also appear to not be wearing gloves or mittens.  I know Joy is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but, NOBODY 'thoroughly enjoys' playing in the snow without being properly dressed.

Arkansas may not have a lot of snow, but they get plenty of cold and nasty weather.  Both of those kids should have warm boots, hats and gloves even if they never 'play' in the snow.

And, even if they insist on toddler girls wearing dresses, that little girl should be wearing snow pants under hers before being sent outside for photos.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 18

Snow skirts are apparently actually a thing too - "fashionable, yet modest"  🙄

to add - I only know this because a neighbor wears one while walking her dog in winter

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

to add - I only know this because a neighbor wears one while walking her dog in winter

Scratching my head on this one. Her legs must still get cold and wet, never mind the cold air on her hooha. 

• LOL 13
5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

The only snow skirts I've seen are made of insulated fabric and meant to be worn over regular pants to give more coverage and warmth from the waist to the knees when wearing a winter jacket.  You see them a fair amount in the Scandinavian countries. They're faster and easier to put on and remove than traditional snow pants. I don't think that would be practical in this instance.

https://www.skhoop.us/pages/the-skhoop-story

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think a lot of the Duggars' modesty is performative. It has little to do with actual living a modest life or even dressing modestly. It's about SEEMING modest on social media, and for Joy modesty = wearing skirts and bare legs in freezing weather. 

I also am worried about Joy and Austin's dog. If it's so cold in the winter I hope that dog is allowed inside. It's abusive to have the dog outside in a doghouse in freezing cold weather.

I wish I could like this more than once, for both those statements. I hate to say it but I suspect that the dog is outdoors. And I've always seen the Duggar "modesty" as performative. IMO it's hard to get more performative than the shenanigans the Duggs pulled over the wedding dresses and bridesmaids outfits. Sewing on fugly "modesty" panels on store bought dresses, when they could have just bought nicely styled dresses that were "modestly" styled in the first place. No, the Duggs had to get footage on TV showing them MAKING THINGS MODEST ENOUGH; merely buying and wearing modest clothing without the performance wouldn't have pleased Jesus  - or something.

• Love 18

Because that's exactly what the Bible says God is looking for, performative displays of faith.   Methinks they need to read a bit deeper.

IMO their ridiculous public charade is only an attempt to glorify themselves by attempting to make a public show of piety.  Even a fairly casual perusal of scripture speaks to the (lack of) value in that.

• Love 16

In addition to emphasizing their modesty, I think they really thought there was nothing available that was modest enough. They had convinced themselves that no one, nowhere, wore clothes that fit their modesty standards, so they didn't even look for a suitable unaltered wedding dress for Jill. I think it took the Bates two or three weddings before they woke up.

The reality is most folks don't run around with their boobies and ass hanging out, everyday or on their wedding day. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In addition to emphasizing their modesty, I think they really thought there was nothing available that was modest enough. They had convinced themselves that no one, nowhere, wore clothes that fit their modesty standards, so they didn't even look for a suitable unaltered wedding dress for Jill. I think it took the Bates two or three weddings before they woke up.

Oh, I'm sure they drank their own Kool-aid, and that was part of it. I also remember some discussions around here (or on the predecessor forums) where people posted links to ready-made clothing that would meet their stated modesty standards, and much of what was linked to, wasn't fugly either. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I wish I could like this more than once, for both those statements. I hate to say it but I suspect that the dog is outdoors. And I've always seen the Duggar "modesty" as performative. IMO it's hard to get more performative than the shenanigans the Duggs pulled over the wedding dresses and bridesmaids outfits. Sewing on fugly "modesty" panels on store bought dresses, when they could have just bought nicely styled dresses that were "modestly" styled in the first place. No, the Duggs had to get footage on TV showing them MAKING THINGS MODEST ENOUGH; merely buying and wearing modest clothing without the performance wouldn't have pleased Jesus  - or something.

Another example is that instead of getting modest swimwear (Jill has plugged some modest swimwear on her IG) the Duggar girls flailed about in sweats and skirts and long black tights. The whole point was to make the family look too holy for the beach. Which ... isn't the point of modesty. If they wanted they could have bought modest swimwear and worn that.  Again, purely performative and not actually based on modesty.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, I'm sure they drank their own Kool-aid, and that was part of it. I also remember some discussions around here (or on the predecessor forums) where people posted links to ready-made clothing that would meet their stated modesty standards, and much of what was linked to, wasn't fugly either. 

Heck, they've appeared on Say Yes to the Dress which not only has perfectly modest options in their regular stock, but also has a special section catering to Orthodox Jewish women who must have their collarbones covered and sleeves that cover their elbows.  Kleinfeld's has many, many modest options and we often see the alterations department at the store completely remaking dresses to fit a bride's specifications for either more or less coverage.  

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Jeeves said:

They also don’t seem to realize that modesty is about more than clothing. Is it “modest” to post personal photos on SM for millions of complete strangers?

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jessa is in sweatpants, Lauren is in ripped jeans (!!!), Abbie also wearing pants. Lauren looks nice with the jeans. Only Joy and Jana continue to stick to skirts even in the winter.

I wonder why they don't wear tights. It looks chilly the way the others are dressed. Are tights too Nike or whatever?

• Love 4