Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I hope that stupid blanket fell off of Joy's shoulder while trying to feed her daughter. Not wise for a mother to be distracted while breast feeding. I read that it should be done with focus, in a quiet environment and I personally don't think it's a good idea to "tent the baby", leave it in the dark under some blanket when feeding. It should be a bonding time. MY OPINION is that this is in bad taste to do in public like that. No bonding with the baby either.  

• Love 13
13 hours ago, awaken said:

No masks, with newborns in a shopping area, and two are wearing jeans.

An ex-classmate of mine, who lives in Arkansas, posted how happy her and her husband were going to Walmart with no masks on and no one else had them on either.

Glad to see Abbie in jeans though.

35 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I hope that stupid blanket fell off of Joy's shoulder while trying to feed her daughter. Not wise for a mother to be distracted while breast feeding. I read that it should be done with focus, in a quiet environment and I personally don't think it's a good idea to "tent the baby", leave it in the dark under some blanket when feeding. It should be a bonding time. MY OPINION is that this is in bad taste to do in public like that. No bonding with the baby either.  

I agree, breastfeeding and bottle feeding is a time to bond. We always saw Jessa with her kids hidden under blankets too. With each kid, she must blanket more, because God forbid the older kids catch a glimpse of her boob.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

There are times when a baby just needs to eat, no matter where the mother is.  I don't have a problem with women breastfeeding publicly, but I do agree that it is so much nicer for mother and baby if they can be comfy and have some privacy.  Many malls have spaces just for breastfeeding.  If nothing else, Joy should be in the food court, in a corner away from traffic and seated so that she and the baby can be in the most comfortable position and alignment for nursing.  And, if she is really so very modest that she needs to fling a huge blanket over herself, then, perhaps she should not go on outings with the newborn in public spaces where she is not comfortable nursing unless or until the baby can drink breast milk from a bottle.  As it is, the baby, aside from being covered head to toe with a blanket which is probably hot and sweaty, is also positioned lower than would be usual for nursing and there is no way Joy can pay attention to stuff life how well she is latching and how much she is getting while she is out of sight and Joy is posing for pictures.  And forget about the lovely eye contact and cuddles that make feeding time so special for both mom and baby.

In Latin America as well as Africa, mothers stop in the midst of whatever they are doing to nurse and nobody looks twice.  At the bus stop, in the doctor's office, at the market. It would be nice if more people had the attitude that breastfeeding is a natural and good thing and nobody is bothered by it.

I didn't mean to indicate I have a problem with breast feeding in public - I don't. And as a mother I'm well aware that kids need to eat at not always convenient times. However the Duggar women seem to feed their children with little attention or connection, and infants aren't awake a whole lot in the beginning. If they're not connecting while they're feeding their kids, then when are they bonding?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Is Joy wearing one of Meechele's stupid breast friend thingies?  So, she's wandering around the mall with a newborn hanging off her boob while her toddler runs wild.  Terrific.  These people do not have the sense God gave a goose.

A goose has better parenting skills than some of the Duggars.

• Love 5

Good Lord, it looks like Joy grabbed the family size blanket off the sofa on her way out the door.  She (or any of the other moms) didn't have a smaller receiving type with her that's more easier to use? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

An ex-classmate of mine, who lives in Arkansas, posted how happy her and her husband were going to Walmart with no masks on and no one else had them on either.

Glad to see Abbie in jeans though.

I hate to ask but where are they in Arkansas? I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the mask rules have been enforced at my local WM. But I think all the anti-mask assholes have just migrated to another local store that doesn't enforce mask rules. I've not been in there to witness it though.

• Love 2

I'm glad Joy feels comfortable feeding her baby wherever it's convenient.  It's such a natural thing, I never understood why some people are uncomfortable with it.  I once spent a 2 hour flight (in economy) sitting next to a lady who fed her baby the entire time.  At first I thought the baby would start screaming at some point and everyone would be miserable, but I only heard coos from the baby.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I didn't mean to indicate I have a problem with breast feeding in public - I don't. And as a mother I'm well aware that kids need to eat at not always convenient times. However the Duggar women seem to feed their children with little attention or connection, and infants aren't awake a whole lot in the beginning. If they're not connecting while they're feeding their kids, then when are they bonding?

Newborns nurse constantly, and honestly I’ve never felt a joyous bond from it. I find it pretty isolating to constantly step away to a quiet place, so I don’t fault the Duggars for throwing on a cover so they can continue to socialize. There are much more functional covers though than the heavy blanket Joy is dragging around. 

I’ve got two kids in Joy’s kids age range, and if I couldn’t nurse at awkward angles meal times and potty breaks would not be possible. I’m not taking them shopping though, and definitely wouldn’t leave the house without a stroller. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Newborns nurse constantly, and honestly I’ve never felt a joyous bond from it. I find it pretty isolating to constantly step away to a quiet place, so I don’t fault the Duggars for throwing on a cover so they can continue to socialize. There are much more functional covers though than the heavy blanket Joy is dragging around. 

I’ve got two kids in Joy’s kids age range, and if I couldn’t nurse at awkward angles meal times and potty breaks would not be possible. I’m not taking them shopping though, and definitely wouldn’t leave the house without a stroller. 

I guess I was a lucky mom. My kids are close in age and I remember the juggle and the struggle, but none of my kids nursed constantly. I had at least two hours between feedings in the beginning which gradually expanded. One of my kids was a slow nurser though. With that kid I just had to put a little more planning into what I was going to be doing.

When I was out and about I preferred to be able to shop or socialize without having to stop and feed my babies, so I really made an effort to work around that. I wasn't always successful, but I tried. I tried to plan when at home too, but like many moms, I became quite skilled at nursing, while tending to other things.

But for me personally, feeding my kids, especially when newborns, was a time to try and stop the chaos and focus on my baby.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I hate to ask but where are they in Arkansas? I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the mask rules have been enforced at my local WM. But I think all the anti-mask assholes have just migrated to another local store that doesn't enforce mask rules. I've not been in there to witness it though.

Horseshoe Bend. I guess its a small town so maybe they lifted restrictions?

• Useful 3
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Horseshoe Bend. I guess its a small town so maybe they lifted restrictions?

The whole state is under a mask mandate and Walmart is under a company-wide one, so I don't think they would have the authority to lift it. Sounds like they've just decided not to enforce it, which is unfortunate. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

The whole state is under a mask mandate and Walmart is under a company-wide one, so I don't think they would have the authority to lift it. Sounds like they've just decided not to enforce it, which is unfortunate. 

Sad, but she is ultra religious so I'm not surprised.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Avoid that place and keep safe. You're precious and we ain't losing you to 2020. 

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I’m in Florida and my local wal mart is no longer requiring masks. The sign just says masks are recommended. So the mask mandate is not company wide. I guess each store can choose?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Avoid that place and keep safe. You're precious and we ain't losing you to 2020. 

Thank you! I was going to say I avoid it like the plague, but that's a poor choice of words for now. . . . 

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

According to Google:

The nation's biggest retailer started requiring customers to wear masks at all Walmart and Sam's Club stores on July 20. The rule represents “a simple step everyone can take for their safety and the safety of others in our facilities,” the company said in announcing the policy on July 15.

Exactly! It was a corporate policy. WMs that are not enforcing it are making that decision on their own, without official permission. From what I know about WM Corporate, there is no way stores are being given the option of opting out.

Report them to corporate if they are not in compliance, @wait.what.  

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12

According to Google:

The nation's biggest retailer started requiring customers to wear masks at all Walmart and Sam's Club stores on July 20. The rule represents “a simple step everyone can take for their safety and the safety of others in our facilities,” the company said in announcing the policy on July 15.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, wait.what said:

I’m in Florida and my local wal mart is no longer requiring masks. The sign just says masks are recommended. So the mask mandate is not company wide. I guess each store can choose?

Great, just in time for the regular flu season! Idiots.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm so glad that people around here are compliant with county mask ordinances. I couldn't imagine being surrounded by covidiots. 

We are lucky in our area as well, everyone mask and no attitudes. Although... I avoided Walmart prior to the pandemic and haven't set foot in one during the pandemic, so I can't speak for the WalMarts in my area.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

We are lucky in our area as well, everyone mask and no attitudes. Although... I avoided Walmart prior to the pandemic and haven't set foot in one during the pandemic, so I can't speak for the WalMarts in my area.

It's funny that WM is the safer option for me now because, at first, I did avoid WM for months. It was always so crowded, and the mask wearing was iffy here. The local grocery store at the time had a slightly better mask ratio and was always much less crowded. But then once state and local mask ordinances went into effect, WM actually became a lot more desirable an option. Those are the only 2 places in town to get groceries. :S 

Back on topic. I assume Joy is in a Washington County store. They have the second-highest number of active cases in the state for a county, just barely behind Pulaski (where Little Rock) is. As of right now, Wash. Co. has over 600 active virus cases. 😞 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

The real question is why is Joy out in public with a new baby during a pandemic? The baby is still “wet” as the old folks say. Take that fresh baby home and get some rest you dolt!

I just read an article about a 2 month old baby that died from Covid. They are idiots.

• Love 6

I don’t get it.  I am in Nevada and we have a state-wide mask mandate.  All businesses have prominent signs on their doors telling customers that masks are required, and big box stores and supermarkets have employees at the entrances who turn away those who are not masked.  I saw a meltdown at the UPS store a few weeks ago and every other client in the store supported the employee who was trying to enforce the policy.

In the photo they are all holding drinks.  Maybe the Starbucks allows clients to remove masks to drink? Still I would never chance a shopping trip with a newborn these days.

• Love 17

If Joy and Abbie were shopping where Jessa did, it was at a convention hall. Maybe Starbucks did a pop-up or have a permanent kiosk there. In the picture it looks as though Joy, Abbie and friend are standing in a hallway. I have no idea how a set-up like that works with mask mandates.

Once again, who took the picture? My guesses are JD or Jana.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I don’t get it.  I am in Nevada and we have a state-wide mask mandate.  All businesses have prominent signs on their doors telling customers that masks are required, and big box stores and supermarkets have employees at the entrances who turn away those who are not masked.  I saw a meltdown at the UPS store a few weeks ago and every other client in the store supported the employee who was trying to enforce the policy.

In the photo they are all holding drinks.  Maybe the Starbucks allows clients to remove masks to drink? Still I would never chance a shopping trip with a newborn these days.

I was in Traverse City Michigan last week and the whole area is very pro-mask. Some places even have free ones you can put on in order to enter the store. I got a coffee downtown and you order it and have to stand in a certain place to wait for it. Another small store limited two customers at a time. And it is no mask (and you better have it covering your nose), no service.

I highly doubt any of them wore a mask. Abbie should know better.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If Joy and Abbie were shopping where Jessa did, it was at a convention hall. Maybe Starbucks did a pop-up or have a permanent kiosk there. In the picture it looks as though Joy, Abbie and friend are standing in a hallway. I have no idea how a set-up like that works with mask mandates.

Once again, who took the picture? My guesses are JD or Jana.

Here in Ohio, the rule at places where food or drink is served are that you must wear a mask when you're on your feet.  If you are sitting at a table-socially distanced, of course- you can take your mask off to eat and drink; but. as soon as you stand to leave or use the restroom, the mask has to be worn.  This is true even in Target which has a Starbuck's.  You can order a drink, but you take it OUT of the building with you, no more sipping as you stroll through the store.

• Useful 6
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, awaken said:

Even something that simple is filled with typos and incoherent. “I love him and when he sends Me texts like this to me” 🙄

Yep. I was like, "AND WHEN HE WHAT?!?!" 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 9/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, GeeGolly said:

I guess I was a lucky mom. My kids are close in age and I remember the juggle and the struggle, but none of my kids nursed constantly. I had at least two hours between feedings in the beginning which gradually expanded. One of my kids was a slow nurser though. With that kid I just had to put a little more planning into what I was going to be doing.

When I was out and about I preferred to be able to shop or socialize without having to stop and feed my babies, so I really made an effort to work around that. I wasn't always successful, but I tried. I tried to plan when at home too, but like many moms, I became quite skilled at nursing, while tending to other things.

But for me personally, feeding my kids, especially when newborns, was a time to try and stop the chaos and focus on my baby.

Be grateful you were a lucky mom.   I had one who required nursing incredibly frequently because of reasons that weren't explained until several years later, then another who was a verrrry slow nurser to put it mildly.   No amount of planning would have made it possible for me to ever leave the house with my children for at least the first nine months.  I don't think that would have been healthy for any of us.

I don't see any signs Gideon is/was underfed or a lack of bond.  I don't see any reason to expect it will be different with child #2.   I may have a very different belief system and disagree with many of their life choices, however unless I see anything that indicates cause for worry about a child's wellbeing I'll leave it to the mother to decide how and when to feed her child.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Evy's already a month old!

OK not gonna lie, all those pictures of her and her brother together are really adorable. Looks like Gideon's really enjoying the new baby. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, awaken said:

Love that they included a rainbow!  If only they knew!  😁

I don’t find her an attractive baby, but I’m happy for joy. 

Evy definitely has the kind of features you have to grow into. She'll probably end up looking identical to Austin's sister when it's all said and done.

• Love 12

awww, jaundice sucks.  My little cousin had it and her parents had to keep her in sunlight for hours at a time.  They were panicky new parents anyway, so rainy days where there was not real sun time drove them around the bend for a couple months until it cleared up.

• Love 2