Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I wonder how many times they had to reshoot in order to get the right reaction from the kids?

that is what is so funny about these "reality" shows.  They are scripted.  A real "reality" show would have hidden cameras around the house and we could just watch.  There was a show eons ago on PBS that did that, I think.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

that is what is so funny about these "reality" shows.  They are scripted.  A real "reality" show would have hidden cameras around the house and we could just watch.  There was a show eons ago on PBS that did that, I think.

An American Family!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, drafan said:

The most appalling part is something getting served directly from the can on the left side of the pic.

Made me laugh. My mother’s serving dish of choice growing up was the can the vegetables came in. Drain them and put on table. I didn’t eat heated vegetables at home. When I got married the first time that was the big change - heat if appropriate  and use a dish. I wonder if Jill or derick grew up like I did. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, drafan said:

The most appalling part is something getting served directly from the can on the left side of the pic.

I think it's Sauerkraut and at least by serving things from a can they cut down on the amount of water they use to wash dishes. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Here's a new video. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't give a review. ☹️

Definitely a vaginal delivery, Austin's back blocks any view of the birth although we get to see slimy, bloody baby up on Joy's belly.  The baby has an interesting caput (the swelling on the head from fitting through the pelvis).  You can tell Joy was stuck around 5 cm. for a period of time as the impression of the opening of her cervix is right there.  The caput is also towards the front of her head rather than the crown, so she was probably occiput posterior (sunnyside up) for much of the labor.

Joy says she was in active labor for 7 hours which is very  reasonable for a second baby.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 21
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Made me laugh. My mother’s serving dish of choice growing up was the can the vegetables came in. Drain them and put on table. I didn’t eat heated vegetables at home. When I got married the first time that was the big change - heat if appropriate  and use a dish. I wonder if Jill or derick grew up like I did. 

I love to eat chef boyardee from a can for dinner lol. Makes less dishes. Whatever works!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Definitely a vaginal delivery, Austin's back blocks any view of the birth although we get to see slimy, bloody baby up on Joy's belly.  The baby has an interesting caput (the swelling on the head from fitting through the pelvis).  You can tell Joy was stuck around 5 cm. for a period of time as the impression of the opening of her cervix is right there.  The caput is also towards the front of her head rather than the crown, so she was probably occiput posterior (sunnyside up) for much of the labor.

Joy says she was in active labor for 7 hours which is very  reasonable for a second baby.

Yes, Joy said Evy was sunny side up and that she tore.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Too many she's.
37 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

You can tell Joy was stuck around 5 cm. for a period of time as the impression of the opening of her cervix is right there.  The caput is also towards the front of her head rather than the crown, so she was probably occiput posterior (sunnyside up) for much of the labor.

Is turning the baby more hazadous than letting labor progress with a sunnyside up presentation?  Sometimes they turn the baby and sometimes not.  I think it was Whitney Bates second baby that Dr Vick turned her.

• Love 1

After all they went through with Annabell, this video made me happy. Austin crying at the beginning when she was born, had me with the feels. My only hope is they stop with their boy and girl. They have a nice family, no need for 16 kids.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

They said she pushed for an hour,poor thing. 

Average woman pushing with an epidural takes about an hour to push out a baby so Joy did just fine.

A woman who has never had a vaginal birth can push for up to 3 hours  with an epidural and still be considered normal as long as she is making progress.  A woman who has given birth vaginally is ok for up to 2 hours pushing with an epidural.

Longest I ever had anyone push? 6 hours.  This was 30+ years ago and the lady was a proponent of the Bradley method which discourages any and all interventions.  Her baby was posterior and her contractions were not regular enough or strong enough to rotate it or force it down, but she refused everything: an IV, pitocin, pain meds. And, heaven forbid, no forceps or vacuum extractor. Finally, after about 5 hours of futility, she let me start a little bit of pitocin.  Her contractions almost immediately became stronger and more regular and the baby started to move. Years later, she still referred to her labor as 'the nightmare'.  Some people have a hard time just getting out of their own way and labor is not something you can intellectualize into the experience you want.

31 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Is turning the baby more hazadous than letting labor progress with a sunnyside up presentation?  Sometimes they turn the baby and sometimes not.  I think it was Whitney Bates second baby that Dr Vick turned her.

Not necessarily, but not every doctor has experience with trying to manually rotate a posterior presentation and, even if he/she does, it doesn't always work.  It is not usually done until the mom is ready to push because the cervix has to be out of the way, too.

Breaking the water and giving pitocin to make the contractions stronger will often cause a posterior baby to rotate, too, and Joy had these things.

It is also possible for a baby to deliver in posterior position, particularly in a mom with a roomy pelvis.  Usually takes longer and can be more painful, but it happens.

• Useful 8
47 minutes ago, Madtown said:

After all they went through with Annabell, this video made me happy. Austin crying at the beginning when she was born, had me with the feels. My only hope is they stop with their boy and girl. They have a nice family, no need for 16 kids.

I highly doubt they will stop having children. Joy is very young, she could easily hit Michelle’s numbers-Michelle started later and had two sets of twins.

I don’t doubt Joy’s grief and pain over Annabelle was real, but I don’t think that would have any effect on the number of kids they choose to have in the future. 

• Love 10

Who was that lady in the room with them? When Austin was holding the baby after she got her temp taken. Sitting on the couch looking at her cell phone. Joy did really well. I'm glad she was successfully able to VBAC.  I really wish they would stop with 2 kids, but unfortunately they won't. 

I guess I was really lucky with my kids. I only pushed for 30 minutes with my son, and with the twins, we barely made it to the hospital. The older twin was crowning by the time we got there. 2 pushes and she was out. 7 minutes later, 2 pushes and her sister was born. And with my stillborn daughter, I pushed for about a half hour.  That labor was induced, because we found out she had died in utero the day before. I was still 3 weeks from my due date. 

Edited by QuinnInND

Wow about pushing. Maybe my perception was wrong, but with my first (without epidural) I think I pushed for  maybe 15 minutes but it seemed like forever. With my second and epidural I think it was maybe a bit longer

Why does Joy always repeat that she is so happy it is a girl, they have a girl? Because of the loss of Annabell?

Quinn so sorry about your loss...

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Who was that lady in the room with them? When Austin was holding the baby after she got her temp taken. Sitting on the couch looking at her cell phone. Joy did really well. I'm glad she was successfully able to VBAC.  I really wish they would stop with 2 kids, but unfortunately they won't. 

I guess I was really lucky with my kids. I only pushed for 30 minutes with my son, and with the twins, we barely make it to the hospital. The older twin was crowning by the time we got there. 2 pushes and she was out. 7 minutes later, 2 pushes and her sister was born. And with my stillborn daughter, I pushed for about a half hour.  That labor was induced, because we found out she had died in utero the day before. I was still 3 weeks from my due date. 

The lady in the room with them is their doula, who also happens to be Austin's sister.

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I would imagine that the tearing is more common in posterior presentations?

yep

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Quinn so sorry about your loss...

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The lady in the room with them is their doula, who also happens to be Austin's sister.

Thank you. I'm not up on all the family members. 👍

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Madtown said:

I think Austin is by far the most likable Duggar son-in-law.  He seems to be a great dad and husband.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I had a normal pregnancy, first baby, epidural, my labor lasted about 15 hours (water broke at 7pm, she was born the next morning at 1020am), and I pushed for 3 hours.  It was horrible, awful, and I remember yelling "Just cut me open, and take her out!".  It was so bad that I wanted nothing to do with her when she finally came out (7 lbs 8 ozs).  I didn't want to hold her, I just wanted sleep.  I NEVER had another one, that was it...never again.

14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I think Austin is by far the most likable Duggar son-in-law.  He seems to be a great dad and husband.  

He's definitely shown a lot more emotion, affection and humor than initial impression suggested.  I am happy that it's clear he genuinely loves Joy and the children.  Any interaction with Austin and Gideon reveals their bond with each other -- and what sells it for me is Gideon's reaction, which cannot be faked.   Considering his reaction at the birth of their little girl I suspect he will be equally devoted to her as well.  

I think it's great one of the Duggar children lives in a loving home.  And while they interact with her family, her husband does not become subservient with them, including JB -- and they seem to be forging their largest financial path separate from her family.   I'm hoping to eventually see them broaden their horizons on their belief systems as well.    Maybe their kids will get the opportunity to follow their cousin Israel's educational path into a school.  Considering how young they are it could happen. 

• Love 18
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

He's definitely shown a lot more emotion, affection and humor than initial impression suggested.  I am happy that it's clear he genuinely loves Joy and the children.  Any interaction with Austin and Gideon reveals their bond with each other -- and what sells it for me is Gideon's reaction, which cannot be faked.   Considering his reaction at the birth of their little girl I suspect he will be equally devoted to her as well.  

I think it's great one of the Duggar children lives in a loving home.  And while they interact with her family, her husband does not become subservient with them, including JB -- and they seem to be forging their largest financial path separate from her family.   I'm hoping to eventually see them broaden their horizons on their belief systems as well.    Maybe their kids will get the opportunity to follow their cousin Israel's educational path into a school.  Considering how young they are it could happen. 

I do think Austin has a genuine affection for his children and outside of Derrick is the only financially independent son in law. But I think their beliefs remain very similar and the will kids lead insular lives. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

They got their current house from JB and Michelle. Austin is a contractor/remodeler without a license. They're continuing to make money out of putting their family on social media and filming them for Youtube, not TLC. 

Austin's parents are probably as fundie as JB and Michelle, even if they have less kids. Austin himself was homeschooled and probably sees no disadvantages to that.

These two continue to make people feel they are changing, but they're not. Any changes they're making are lateral moves at best.

I might change my mind if she's not pregnant or had a new baby by Christmas 2021. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

They got their current house from JB and Michelle. Austin is a contractor/remodeler without a license. They're continuing to make money out of putting their family on social media and filming them for Youtube, not TLC.

they also got another large piece of property from JB on the other side of Amy and Dillon - all are in close proximity to the Duggar Luxury RV park. down a side road next to it if I remember correctly

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 2
On 9/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Didn't she just go downstairs and announce her pregnancy? I remember it being in the living room of the TTH, and there was a bible study going on. Upon hearing the news, Joy jumped out of her chair and her bible went flying.

And the dramatic shrieks coming from Jana and Michelle are forever burned in my ears.  Seriously, what did they expect from a healthy, horny new couple taught to eschew all birth control.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Honey said:

I had a normal pregnancy, first baby, epidural, my labor lasted about 15 hours (water broke at 7pm, she was born the next morning at 1020am), and I pushed for 3 hours.  It was horrible, awful, and I remember yelling "Just cut me open, and take her out!".  It was so bad that I wanted nothing to do with her when she finally came out (7 lbs 8 ozs).  I didn't want to hold her, I just wanted sleep.  I NEVER had another one, that was it...never again.

An ICU nurse friend of mine had your experience and guess what?  Her second, born two years later, was born into her pants while cooking in her kitchen!  You never know!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I do think Austin has a genuine affection for his children and outside of Derrick is the only financially independent son in law. But I think their beliefs remain very similar and the will kids lead insular lives. 

19 hours ago, Temperance said:

Austin's parents are probably as fundie as JB and Michelle, even if they have less kids. Austin himself was homeschooled and probably sees no disadvantages to that.

These two continue to make people feel they are changing, but they're not. Any changes they're making are lateral moves at best.

I might change my mind if she's not pregnant or had a new baby by Christmas 2021. 

I realize Austin comes from a family with same or similar beliefs and upbringing and is so far following on the same path.  Unlicensed or not, YouTube v. TLC, I do find a sliver of hope in the fact that he isn't subservient about JB and/or the brothers in the same way Ben is, and the way they tried to crack jokes when Derrick and Jeremy came into the picture; he seems to be making a very deliberate choice to keep a good chunk of their income flowing directly to him, not via JB; and he's had no problem with Joy wanting to participate somewhat in his work and doesn't seem to be pushing ridiculous curls and skirts or dresses on her.

I'm hopeful that he and Joy get a good view of how things go with Jill's boys' educations and maybe do some thinking about how they can embrace some changes without courting eternal damnation.  The odds may be small, but I'm hopeful for as many of this newest generation to make it out as possible.  Joy and Austin are quite young and things change as life goes on, so I'm hopeful they might embrace some changes with time.          

• Love 5
On 9/14/2020 at 1:09 PM, Madtown said:

Why should they stop just because they have one of each? It's not everyone's ideal family composition. 

"Regular" non-famous people with all boys, all girls, or singletons hear this too. I just don't get it. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Pixie Chicken said:

Why should they stop just because they have one of each? It's not everyone's ideal family composition. 

"Regular" non-famous people with all boys, all girls, or singletons hear this too. I just don't get it. 

I thinks its going to take a while to erase the standard 2.1 kids, white picket fence, American family 'dream' from society. No judgement for those who want it though.

4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thinks its going to take a while to erase the standard 2.1 kids, white picket fence, American family 'dream' from society. No judgement for those who want it though.

Key phrase -- if they want it. If people want one kid or ten kids or zero, cool. So long as they can afford them and it's not endangering anyone's health, great. 

It's ironic to see people snark on the Duggars for being close-minded, but in the next breath declaring that there's something wrong if they deviate from "one of each." Reproductive choices include bearing children, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Who's on the left? I don't recognize her. I don't think it's Rachel, because she has 3 kids.

And yes, Giddy needs to be restrained. He gets into everything.

Gabrielle Patton. Her husband is one of the main guys at Mediocre Corps

• Useful 2
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, awaken said:

No masks, with newborns in a shopping area, and two are wearing jeans.

Abbie's daughter was born this year. At least 3 children under 2.  Both Joy and Abbie look worse and less likely to leave the cult. 

1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Gabrielle Patton. Her husband is one of the main guys at Mediocre Corps

Another Patton. The Patton family are really good friends with the Duggars. Her sisters-in-law Elizabeth, and Lydia Patton are hanging out with the Duggars and even rumored to be in courtships with Duggar boys. (Probably not, but who knows?)

• Love 2