Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 8/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, iwantcookies said:

At least they are not twin names! 
I have met Ronnie/Donnie twins before.

Im happy Joy had a healthy baby girl! Definitely has Austin’s nose!

My mom had twin uncles Elbert and Delbert. It cracks me up every. Time she mentions them. 

Joy looks tired in the 1st of photos  but very pretty (and a little tired) in the black tank top (NIKE!) one. She looks a lot like Michelle. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Why do we care so much what people's eyebrows look like when something which is on point one day becomes laughable in five years. Good grief! It's a little patch of hairs over your eye. How can that possibly be something to judge a person over?

I don’t really understand eyebrow trends. I have never done anything with mine except pluck or wax the stray hairs. That’s it.

• Love 23
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Why do we care so much what people's eyebrows look like when something which is on point one day becomes laughable in five years. Good grief! It's a little patch of hairs over your eye. How can that possibly be something to judge a person over?

Amen.  But I suppose we can just take it as the reminder we all need that we're essentially herd animals and deeply wired to follow exactly what the herd is doing and where it's going at this moment, no matter how dumb or completely unimportant (eyebrows!) -- or even holocaust-level-horrible -- that thing may be.....So we can make ourselves aware of that incredibly strong tendency in the human herd and try to break free of it when it comes to anything that matters. (The Duggars: very bad example of the herd tendency. 😁 )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t really understand eyebrow trends. I have never done anything with mine except pluck or wax the stray hairs. That’s it.

I actually love seeing all these fundie women embrace the Instagram makeup trends.  They all have their roots in Drag and the Kardashians.  Every time I see these women who purport to be "in the world but not of it" while sporting these techniques I laugh.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

There is so much more to snark on with these people. Like their odious hypocritical beliefs.  

Sure, but when they hawk skin care and beauty products, and clothes, their appearance is fair game as far as I’m concerned.

Also, snarking on one doesn’t preclude me from snarking on the other, as apparently I have an infinite supply of snark 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14
19 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Sure, but when they hawk skin care and beauty products, and clothes, their appearance is fair game as far as I’m concerned.

Also, snarking on one doesn’t preclude me from snarking on the other, as apparently I have an infinite supply of snark 😉

Of course!  Carry on!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That's a slippery-slope-y question to ask.  Following that line of questioning, why do we care about any of these fundies at all:  their eyebrows, their reproduction, the state of their homes, etc.?

Commenting on their eyebrows is no more frivolous than commenting on their breeding habits, in my opinion.  It's all fun snarking.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I actually love seeing all these fundie women embrace the Instagram makeup trends.  They all have their roots in Drag and the Kardashians.  Every time I see these women who purport to be "in the world but not of it" while sporting these techniques I laugh.  

It really is amusing to think about it that way! For myself, I’ve always tried to stay away from anything Kartrashian, makeup or otherwise.

4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yep. They put themselves out there for strangers so they’re fair game imo.

• Love 7

I rarely notice eyebrows unless they are overly lined/darkened or unless they are overly shaped like the Rodrigues girls, thanks to their stuck-in-the-80’s’ mother.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Now that Joy is happy to have a daughter, and she has a son, she could stop having babies. One of each is enough.

I don't think she would be so happy with 5+ kids

But will make Austin happy? He's the headship; he gets to decide.  And do either of them have the nerve to stand up to parental/peer/religious pressure to have more?

• Love 2

Austin does not strike me as a type who would enjoy having 10 kids around him. But time will tell 

Probably there will be some more, I don't see any of them stopping at two or three. Except maybe JD

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Temperance said:

But will make Austin happy? He's the headship; he gets to decide.  And do either of them have the nerve to stand up to parental/peer/religious pressure to have more?

Boob always said that the number of children they had was Meech's choice. Similarly, in a YT Q&A released today, John Webster also said that the size of their family would be up to Alyssa (she's still stuck at 6).

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
Just now, emmawoodhouse said:

Boob always said that the number of children they had was Meech's choice. Similarly, in a YT Q&A released today, John Webster also said that the size of their family was up to Alyssa (she's still stuck at 6).

John Webster's parents had 6 kids and so far all of his siblings have less. He may be telling the truth. I don't believe JB would have allowed Michelle to stop the baby train if she wanted to. 

• Love 6
On 9/3/2020 at 9:14 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Why are we all here discussing what a family of "reality" stars do on their social media and on their heavily scripted, heavily edited TV show? How can their fictionalized lives possibly be something to judge them over? 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

Glad Gideon is happy about the new baby and not jealous (though I think that's an understandable impulse, too, from a little kid.) 

Like most little kids, he's probably teetering between both.  Sometimes excited and happy; sometimes jealous and angry.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Like most little kids, he's probably teetering between both.  Sometimes excited and happy; sometimes jealous and angry.

Yeah that's true. I am fortunate that none of my older brothers seemed jealous of me. Or if they were, they didn't take it out on me. I probably wouldn't have been that chill about a younger sibling because I really liked being the youngest. 

I hope Giddy and Evy can always have a good relationship, and it isn't eroded by the family's toxic notions about separating brothers and sisters once they reach a certain age.

• Love 9

I remember Joy being wheeled to her room after Giddy. It seemed maybe she was on pain meds. After that I thought she laid low for a while. I also remember her saying Austin was a lot of help because she was in so much pain, for like a month. Was there any pics of her, out and about when Gid was a newborn?

She's already done a photo shoot and visited Austin's parents and Evy isn't even a month old.

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

So Joy had a VBAC. I couldn't tell, because she was equally chipper after the births of Gideon and Evelyn.

I think this means the baby train is about to leave the station. All Aboard!

Did she confirm this? I haven't seen anything either way.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I wonder if TLC will use Joy and Austin's YouTube footage for a birth special. No way a camera crew was allowed. 

Considering how very little interesting stuff ever happens with this crowd, I don't think TLC has a choice.  I hope that Joy and Austin got paid for the footage separate from JB's deal,

Congratulations to Joy on the successful VBAC.  From what we saw, she did an excellent job of preparing herself and did her best to get the outcome she wanted.  Alas, this may indeed speed up the baby train for these two; but it is safer for her in the long run.

If Joy and Austin are now gone from the show in addition to Jill and Derrick; it is going to be harder and harder for TLC to sell us on the notion that this is such a wonderful, happy family.  Joy is also far more likeable and has a lot more viewer recognition than most of the other Duggar daughters and DIL on the show.  I just don't see Lauren or even Abbie and Kendra having much of a following compared to the original Duggar sisters who were the core of the show. Now,  with two of them gone, Jana doing nothing interesting whatsoever; we're left with Jessa as the only one of the kids from the original show who is well known to the viewers.  She needs to get pregnant with triplets like yesterday.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19

So she praises the epidural, says she does not know how women do it without it. Says she does not want another baby, they're done.

That is interesting to hear from a Duggar.

I find them likable in this video. It was a long labor

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 17
11 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Jinger, the show’s “breakout star” would like to have a word with you. 

Shows just how interesting Jinger's life is.  I did forget about her.  That doesn't bode well for her ability to 'breakout'.

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

In the video, while she’s in labor.

Everyone says that in labor.  If I had a nickel for every time I heard it ...  One of my sisters said she actually told her husband, in front of nurses and others, that they were never having sex again.  She had two more kids, I delivered them; she got pregnant the old fashioned way.  Funny how that works.  Most women have only vague memories of the pain of labor; as soon as they see their baby, it doesn't matter, until the next labor starts and it all comes rushing back.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

I think that was due to the medicine she got before the epidural. After she got it and some rest, she was back to her old self.

I was high while I was giving birth to my son, without epidural. I gave birth to my daughter with epidural and I was clear headed then

But after I gave birth to my son I said, yes I can do this again

• Love 3

Any confirmation about Joy and Austin no longer being on the show? I remember Derick claimed that in one of his social media rants, but they have appeared in this season, and I've never seen any other official confirmation from Joy/Austin or TLC that they're leaving. Ordinarily, I could see them possibly stepping back and appearing less, but to me, the way they handled the birth and name announcement seems like people who are wanting to generate more publicity (as one would expect from a reality TV personality), not less.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Zella said:

but to me, the way they handled the birth and name announcement seems like people who are wanting to generate more publicity (as one would expect from a reality TV personality), not less.

But they seemed like they were generating publicity for their own Youtube channel/ Instagram, rather than TLC. I mean, has a Duggar spawn ever posted a birthing video before? Usually we get a TLC webisode/ special episode instead.

• Love 7