Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Katy Perry released the name of her new daughter faster than these two and people are actually interested in Katy Perry.

I think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took less time than the “4sites” are taking—even with their first kid, the future King. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I don't mind the name. The last child I babysat for has her middle name "Mae" as well. She's is pretty much called by her full first and middle name all the time because it just flows and fits her. Though her first name is very different and not a normal first name, but it's not anything like "Spurgeon", it's actually cute...lol. So I can relate to them calling her Evy Mae. She's adorable and will be interesting if she keeps looking like Austin or change looks.

• Love 3

I like the name. I can relate to wanting it to be perfect and special, or whatever she said. I came up with my daughter’s name in the first month of pregnancy, then we circled around every other name in existence, then came back around to my original idea. She was intended to be an only child and we felt that it had to be exactly right, you know? God, we were idiots. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3

My oldest daughter's middle name is Mae, which was the middle name of both my grandmother and my husband's grandma. Her first name is Annabelle, also after a grandma. I guess Joy and I like the same names for baby girls.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Evy and Ivy. Bella and Maryella. They're making it even harder for Michelle. 

GOOD. If you want 200 grandchildren, then you have to work at memorizing their names. 

Eventually the M&Ms will include a Maddy which should be fun with Addy. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

GOOD. If you want 200 grandchildren, then you have to work at memorizing their names. 

Eventually the M&Ms will include a Maddy which should be fun with Addy. 

I really, really want to see a Maddy... Madison! *snort* 

• LOL 8

I think it’s sweet. I mean, Joy and Austin are pretty much hillbillies (and seem to love their life), so it makes sense. It also seems that people are choosing more old-fashioned names lately. My sister named her youngest Ruby. My youngest is Charlotte (she’s older than Will & Kate’s). 
I’m just glad she was born in a hospital and Joy had an easier delivery. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I like it! Not some made up spelling or some trendy made up name or something stupid like Spurgeon. 

And not using a damn name theme like the OG Duggars or the Smuggars. I mean, they could have named her Gevelyn. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Isn't that what most people do? 

Yes, but the caption of the photo heavily implies that they were unsure and took a few days to come up with the perfect name. It’s written vaguely enough that it could’ve taken place before or after the birth.

I’m laughing that the photographer changing the caption and deleted all the comments referring to the name being late. It probably blew the US magazine exclusive

• Love 7

I know some folks who don't immediately decide, but seeing as they already waited to announce the birth and then waited to announce the name separately, I don't think that's what happened here. There was already a 3-4 day gap before they announced the birth, and I'm pretty sure when they released that on Monday, they'd already settled on her name. 

• Love 7

I wonder how they're pronouncing Evy.  Is Ee-vie or Evvie? Most Evelyns I know got by Evie pronounced Eevie and this includes young kids.  Evelyn was #10 on the USA popularity charts so it's very popular.  Most of the Duggar baby names are popular although not that popular. Evelyn is one of the most popular names.  (MacKynzie, Maryella and Spurgeon are the least popular names they've used so far.)

Evelyn Mae is nice. No one guessed either of those names. 

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A little bit crazy that Joy's daughter is named after (or at least has the same name as) Michelle's lesbian sister. I wonder what JB & M think of this.

I also had this thought.  I bet if asked Joy and Austin will deny she's named after the lesbian aunt. 

• Love 3

I seriously doubt she's named after Michelle's sister. Just a hunch, but I don't see Austin or Joy being chill at all about Michelle's sister being a lesbian and naming the baby after her. I think it's possible that there is another older relative both Evelyns are named after or they just like the name (perhaps came across it precisely because it is trendy) and chose it, possibly without even thinking too much about the fact that there's another Evelyn in the family.

Michelle's sister hasn't lived in Arkansas in decades and is 16 years older than Michelle, so it's quite possible they're not that close and that she's not on the radar of the family very much. I did see where Josh mentioned several years ago that he loved his aunt, despite her lifestyle, but I'm still dubious that any of the Duggars spent extensive time around Michelle's sister Evelyn other than the occasional family reunion. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Elegant has nothing to do with a name that will be rednecked into "Evy Mae".  It's a hick name, as is appropriate.  Evelyn will only be used on the marriage certificate she signs at 18, when her parents sell her virginity to a local yokel. 

And Joy couldn't even find a decent top to wear, pulling out a wrinkled, drab & stretched out t-shirt from the laundry basket ?  And of course she's barefoot.  So many fails, and another potato baby joins the planet.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

I had the same thoughts about Joy's outfit. As I remember, other Duggar girl looked better, clothes and make up. 

I don't say that the make up and nice clothes has to be done, but if you are doing a photo shoot, why not?

• Love 4

There is a road in our town named Evelyn so that is the first thing I think of when I hear the name. 

BTW, it's not in the best part of town - near a bowling alley, various run down businesses,  fast food joints & a chain hotel that the cops frequent almost daily.

I do like Evy & thought that might be her nickname when I found out her name was Evelyn.  

To each his own....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

I had the same thoughts about Joy's outfit. As I remember, other Duggar girl looked better, clothes and make up. 

I don't say that the make up and nice clothes has to be done, but if you are doing a photo shoot, why not?

She had hair, makeup and a nice bed jacket for the pictures with her last delivery.  This one one doesn't deserve as much?  These people just epitomize idiocy.  

• Love 5

When I hear the name Evelyn, I immediately think of Evelyn Waugh.  The Englishman who was once married to a female Evelyn, who converted to Catholicism, and who wrote Brideshead Revisited a book with so much queer subtext it was downright scandalous in 1940s England.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, graefin said:

I guess it's Evv-y and not Eve-y?

Weirdly enough I knew two Evelyns growing up and it was always Evv-y.

Evelyn derived from Avila, which the meaning is unknown but may mean "desired". It's also associated with St. Teresa of Avila.

I'm thinking Joy and Austin saw the "desired" meaning and ran with it rather than remember the aunt Smuggar was talking about.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When I hear the name Evelyn, I immediately think of Evelyn Waugh.  The Englishman who was once married to a female Evelyn, who converted to Catholicism, and who wrote Brideshead Revisited a book with so much queer subtext it was downright scandalous in 1940s England.  

I'd forgotten about that! I read their friends called them "He-Evelyn" and "She-Evelyn" to avoid confusion! 🤣 

20 minutes ago, not you again said:

I wonder if they're going to pronounce Evelyn as ev-eh-lynn, or the British way, eev-lynn. 🧐

I'd like to think of myself as a well-read person, but I had no clue the Brits pronounced it a different way until I watched Downton Abbey😄 (And that made the joke above about Evelyn Waugh and his wife make way more sense.) My assumption would be they will pronounce it the American way, but I guess we'll soon see!

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I like it! Not some made up spelling or some trendy made up name or something stupid like Spurgeon. 

I agree!  Evelyn is not a cutsie baby girl name, like so many modern girl names are.  But when she grows up, it will be very classy.

My mom's name is Marilyn, also a mature name.  I used to always ask my grandma but what did you call her when she was a baby?  Marilyn.  It seemed funny to me.

15 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, louannems said:

I agree!  Evelyn is not a cutsie baby girl name, like so many modern girl names are.  But when she grows up, it will be very classy.

My mom's name is Marilyn, also a mature name.  I used to always ask my grandma but what did you call her when she was a baby?  Marilyn.  It seemed funny to me.

My oldest son is named Nathan.  We got a lot of unrequested flack from family members saying "what kind of name is that for a little baby?"  He is a grown man and loves his name and from a small boy never wanted a nickname.  Plus he is named for my beloved Grandpa.  I like most of the vintage names, but it is their choice.  I  don't think they will regret it like Spurgeon's parent.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Ooh, I like the pronunciation “eev-lynn”.  Except she’d spend her whole life correcting people for saying it wrong.  My MIL was Evelea pronounced Ev-e-lee.

Actually, it's not so bad to have a slightly unusual pronunciation of your name, though. I do...

And I've found over the years that a) I really don't care if people pronounce my name "wrong" if they're just passersby whom I'll seldom see. Nobody means any harm by it and they're pronouncing it in the way that's most likely to be right overall. No need to correct them. 

And b} for people I am likely to see often, the pronunciation question provides a nice conversational icebreaker if you approach it right,

and c) it can work to my advantage because having the conversation means that sometimes people I really want to remember me, do remember me because of the pronunciation chat. No small thing, at times!  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Temperance said:

I wonder how they're pronouncing Evy.  Is Ee-vie or Evvie? Most Evelyns I know got by Evie pronounced Eevie and this includes young kids.  Evelyn was #10 on the USA popularity charts so it's very popular.  Most of the Duggar baby names are popular although not that popular. Evelyn is one of the most popular names.  (MacKynzie, Maryella and Spurgeon are the least popular names they've used so far.)

Evelyn Mae is nice. No one guessed either of those names. 

I also had this thought.  I bet if asked Joy and Austin will deny she's named after the lesbian aunt. 

My cousin is an Evie and we pronounce it Eh-vie. I think I remember being shocked when I was younger when finding out her name was actually Evelyn lol  

10 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My oldest son is named Nathan.  We got a lot of unrequested flack from family members saying "what kind of name is that for a little baby?"  He is a grown man and loves his name and from a small boy never wanted a nickname.  Plus he is named for my beloved Grandpa.  I like most of the vintage names, but it is their choice.  I  don't think they will regret it like Spurgeon's parent.

That’s sort of bizarre! I know so many Nathan’s that I grew up with or friends with family members 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's not a cutesy girly name, and I like it.  She'll spend more years as a mature woman than as a child, and to me, that's a plus.  I have a name that's definitely a mature name, and in fact used to be more of a man's name, like Aubrey or Beverly.  It's interesting the way names get popular for a while, and then they're not.  I never would have guessed Joy would have chosen Evelyn, though.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I love that because I (mostly) hate nicknames! 🙂

• Love 3

I also gave birth a day after my due date, they kept me in hospital because of less amniotic fluid, and I was induced (breaking water was enough). I understand her being confused, that is not something you expect

And another one with the epidural, wow finally

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Heathen said:

And not using a damn name theme like the OG Duggars or the Smuggars. I mean, they could have named her Gevelyn. 

That idea got stopped when John & Abby used Grace.