Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Kudos to Joy's doctor.  At around 10 minutes, she talks about the visit to the doctor, the ultrasound and the interpretation of the results and is spot on correct as to what is happening and why induction is the best option for her at that point.  The ultrasound was surprisingly accurate at estimating the baby's weight, too, at 8lb 7 oz (I think she was 8lb 5 oz).  Ultrasound has a 10-15% range of error on estimating fetal weight, so that was really excellent.

Joy is also very realistic in her expectations, she is doing everything she can to try to VBAC successfully, but is completely open to the idea that the situation can change and accepting that she might need a cesarean.  She even has a doula with her (Austin's sister).  It has been shown using a doula in labor is more likely to result in a vaginal birth and less need for pain medications.  Joy starts out at 2-3 cm, and her and the doctor plan to use pitocin and rupturing the membranes to get her into labor and that sounds like the best way to go to me.

As for Michelle and the Duggar sisters giving her 'all kinds' of ways to start labor naturally like walking 4+ miles in heat and humidity; well, not so much.  Staying active has been shown to make it less likely for a woman to go overdue and tends to be associated with shorter labors, but you cannot stimulate labor by walking if you're not having strong regular contractions already. As for Joy thinking she must be in early labor because she had a couple of strong contractions while shopping in Bass Pro Shop which then disappeared; no, dear, you're not.

All in all, though, I am impressed with Joy and Austin.  They went into this with good preparation, they paid attention to the advice the doctor gave them and they planned to do as much as they could to have a safe vaginal birth while not compromising her health or the baby's.  

I was surprised at the number of people in her room. Has AR really lifted its Covid protocols? And where was Jill? She could have dropped Sam off at Cathy's and had Mima pick up Izzy from school (it was a midday birth, IIRC). I was surprised that she chose Megan (I think that's her name) to be her doula. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Canadian Girl said:

What does this mean? I don't know this story. 

When Spurgeon was born, one of Ben's sisters posted congrats along with the baby's name (I don't remember what it was).  Shortly thereafter, Jessa announced his name, and it wasn't the name his sister had given.  Theory was that Jessa was so pissed that someone spilled the beans on his name that she decided to change it then and there so no one could scoop her.

5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I was surprised at the number of people in her room. Has AR really lifted its Covid protocols? And where was Jill? She could have dropped Sam off at Cathy's and had Mima pick up Izzy from school (it was a midday birth, IIRC). I was surprised that she chose Megan (I think that's her name) to be her doula. 

In the hospital, she had Austin and her doula.  That is pretty typical around here.  Where I work, only one support person is allowed per patient, but there are other hospitals that do allow doulas to be there, too.  I presume that is why Austin's sister was wearing a tee shirt identifying her as a doula; to prevent anyone from trying to toss her out as a family member only.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

When Spurgeon was born, one of Ben's sisters posted congrats along with the baby's name (I don't remember what it was).  Shortly thereafter, Jessa announced his name, and it wasn't the name his sister had given.  Theory was that Jessa was so pissed that someone spilled the beans on his name that she decided to change it then and there so no one could scoop her.

In the hospital, she had Austin and her doula.  That is pretty typical around here.  Where I work, only one support person is allowed per patient, but there are other hospitals that do allow doulas to be there, too.  I presume that is why Austin's sister was wearing a tee shirt identifying her as a doula; to prevent anyone from trying to toss her out as a family member only.

I believe it was leaked as Gabriel. Which is a nice name. I wonder whether they will use it again, either for a boy, or as Gabrielle for a girl.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I believe it was leaked as Gabriel. Which is a nice name. I wonder whether they will use it again, either for a boy, or as Gabrielle for a girl.

Not one of Jessica's finest moments. She seems to have grown up a lot since then.

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

If I was Spurgeon and found out I was going to be named Gabriel and got stuck with Sourgeon instead, I'd probably throat-punch my parents. 

LOL...I know it was a typo, but Sourgeon might even be worse than Spurgeon. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Canadian Girl said:

I have a cousin who named her baby Evelyn, and then exclusively called her EE-vie. I never understood. She could have named her Eve if she wanted her to be EE-vie. 

A lot of nicknames are like that. Robert/Bob, Richard/Dick/Rick, Nathaniel/Nate, Katherine/Kate. I have four friends named Elizabeth and they're called, Liz, Beth, Liza and Lily. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Insert Username said:

I feel like  Anna got pressured into using a letter themes - how pissed she must be that none of the others have boxed themselves into this.

That's the least of what Anna got pressured into.  She got sold a bill of goods from the start, but, she went along and now she gets to live with it, literally.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Insert Username said:

how pissed she must be that none of the others have boxed themselves into this.

She may be happy about that. I think that Anna desperately wants to get herself and Josh back on TV and establish herself as the second generation's Perfect, Godly Wife and Mother. A big part of her game plan is to be be more like Michelle than any of the daughters or other daughters-in-law. Popping out the biggest number of kids and being the only one to adhere to JB and Michelle's naming theme is part of her strategy.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Not that it matters, but I think Josh and Anna knew the other kids were unlikely to do a letter theme. If I'm remember correctly in was discussed in an earlier show.

Most of his siblings were little kids. How would anyone know what children will name their kids?  (Mama Temperance did pick out my name as child, but that's unsual.) 

As for a letter theme, I got the sense Anna likes it. M has a lot of possibilities and the first born son is named Michael after her dad. 

I think if I were a Duggar, I would do a letter theme so my kids names stuck out more. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Temperance said:

Most of his siblings were little kids. How would anyone know what children will name their kids?  (Mama Temperance did pick out my name as child, but that's unsual.) 

As for a letter theme, I got the sense Anna likes it. M has a lot of possibilities and the first born son is named Michael after her dad. 

I think if I were a Duggar, I would do a letter theme so my kids names stuck out more. 

The oldest four girls were already in their teen years (18, 17, 16 and 15) and had been praying for a husband and children their whole lives.  I'm guessing a couple of them even already had names picked out, maybe not the names they've used, but had picked some. But they didn't say they knew what they were going to name their kids. They only said the didn't think they would use a letter theme.

• Useful 1
43 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Why would you want them to necessarily stick out? The healthiest route would be take a back seat and distance yourself from the sick freak show, IMO.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

Someone do me a solid and keep me from having to watch the video -- did Joy need another Caesarean? 

We don't know.  The video ends when she is at the hospital being induced and just starting to have regular contractions.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

We don't know.  The video ends when she is at the hospital being induced and just starting to have regular contractions.

She’s probably got a deal with a magazine giving all the “juicy” details, either that or she wants more subscribers so leaves them hanging. 

• Love 1
On 8/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Zella said:

If I was Spurgeon and found out I was going to be named Gabriel and got stuck with Sourgeon instead, I'd probably throat-punch my parents. 

My god, you don't punish the CHILD in that situation! Buy the SIL a crappy xmas gift, but dear God, "Spurgeon" is a horrific punishment to inflict on a new baby who didn't do anything wrong! 

On 8/29/2020 at 2:21 AM, GeeGolly said:

A lot of nicknames are like that. Robert/Bob, Richard/Dick/Rick, Nathaniel/Nate, Katherine/Kate. I have four friends named Elizabeth and they're called, Liz, Beth, Liza and Lily. 

And the most famous Elizabeth of all, Queen Elizabeth was called Lillibet by her family. 

• Love 5

4 minutes ago, xtwheeler said:

My god, you don't punish the CHILD in that situation! Buy the SIL a crappy xmas gift, but dear God, "Spurgeon" is a horrific punishment to inflict on a new baby who didn't do anything wrong! 

Yeah it was crappy of them. Just suck it up and don't tell her the name in the future! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Or, simple answer, TLC filmed it.

We all know how that goes. All the info slowly comes out, leading up to the child's first birthday, mom's next pregnancy announcement, and then TLC airs the birth.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 8/28/2020 at 1:24 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Doesn't include post birth.

I watched that whole video, and  I really came away liking both Joy and Austin.

(it's hard for me to get past their hurtful to others beliefs, though.)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 13
On 8/30/2020 at 7:21 PM, awaken said:

WHOA!  That third photo!  Those Forsyth nostril genes are something else!  I’ve worked with hundreds of newborns and I don’t remember any quite like that!  

Would you look at the kid on that nose?

(That’s an old joke...just can’t remember from which sitcom!)

• LOL 12
5 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m not sure if it’s the only sitcom to say that, but Ross said “ Did you see the kid on that nose?” about Janice’s newborn son on Friends.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Reminds me of an episode of MASH where Klinger says that when he was born, his father said to his mother "Thanks for the 8 lb baby nose."   

She is an adorable baby though. She'll probably grow into her nose. If Joy had a c-section, she looks really good already. The women I've known who've had them weren't looking so chipper so soon. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

The little ones aren't the ones plastering their faces on TV and/or social media. 

ETA  They get no choice in whether they're being served up for comments.

True. Another reason why their last parents shouldn’t be exploiting them for money. They should give them their privacy.

sure, the babies don’t deserve some of the comments they get, but if you post their pictures for millions of complete strangers, some aren’t going to be nice. They KNOW this.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

If Joy had a c-section, she looks really good already. The women I've known who've had them weren't looking so chipper so soon. 

I have no idea if she had a c-section, but Joy was very chipper after the birth of Gideon. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Joy looks absolutely beautiful in this picture! She is positively glowing. Baby looks like Giddy here!

She looks fabulous! 

9 hours ago, Temperance said:

I have no idea if she had a c-section, but Joy was very chipper after the birth of Gideon. 

I think she did have a c-section with Giddy. 

• Love 1

I’m so glad Joy had a safe delivery and healthy baby.  She looks so content with her world right now.  I noticed there are a couple of small charms on her Annabell necklace - guessing they are for Giddy and Evelyn.  I love that the necklace was such a special gift for her.  I don’t think I’ve seen a picture of her without since it was given to her.  A sad sad reason for a gift but it is obviously treasured.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Aside from a single plumbing difference, having a week-old daughter is exactly the same as having a week-old son.  And she looks exhausted, pale and wilted. 

I will say her eyebrow game is on point.  

Now she has two kids to look after. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Aside from a single plumbing difference, having a week-old daughter is exactly the same as having a week-old son.  And she looks exhausted, pale and wilted. 

I will say her eyebrow game is on point.  

Her eyebrows look like Gideon smeared them on with a soft crayon. They're awful. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1