Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E11: A Power Trip

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Hey, apparently a basic cut tweed dress with a tacked on hideous reflective 70s ruffle is editorial now. Who knew. 

I was okay with Cornelius' win. The dress was very pretty and impeccable. The coloured leather was terrifying at first so the end result was a surprise.  

Dex had a point with people having an ~aesthetic and repeating looks. Too bad it was his BFF. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 21

Didn't Dexter say he was NOT going to do the same shoulder as before? And then did the same shoulder as before.  Rik's custom fabric looked like the aftermath of a diaper explosion. 

For once, my favorite look won.  Cornelius' garment would make even my body look perfect.  And I would totally buy that look for work.  Thank you, Tim Gunn.

Erin's first look was like a mascot for Pepto Bismol.

Nathalia, good grief.  

Edited by Archery
  • Love 8

I get more and more underwhelmed with each episode of this season.

I didn't love anyone's designs tonight. I thought Laurence was ok. I liked Cornelius', the yellow flames, petals, whatever they were on the ass I didn't like. The rest was ok, I'm ok with him winning. I didn't think Roberi's pink chiffon-y dress looked like a power outfit. Why does a modern woman have to look powerful anyway, can't they just look like women in whatever they wear? 

I thought Mah-Jings was ok except for the bra tacked on the front. Erin's was hideous. Rik's looked liked something pooped all over it. 

I was surprised at the double auf. Nathalia should have gone home already. I didn't realize that Jennie had been helping her so much. I hated those Mickey Mouse shoulders on Dexters goth outfit but he brought up a good point that other people *cough Erin cough * have been making repeated looks. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Archery said:

Erin's first look was like a mascot for Pepto Bismol.

Erin's first look was like she made a jacket out of one of Gumby's relatives.

I liked Rik's, so what do I know?

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 10

I did not see the double elimination coming for some reason so I was really surprised Dexter got the boot.   And I had to agree with him that other designers show the same look over and over and don't get punished.  But his outfit was fugly without a doubt.  Nathalia was cannon fodder from the beginning and her voice was so annoying so I was sure she'd go tonight.

I did not like Dexter's dress at all.  His model looked like a flight attendant on Sesame Street airlines.  I can't see "powerful " women wanting to wear that and I don't even think it would photograph that well.  The only dress I liked at all was Laurence's, and that wasn't really original.

My inner 10 year old will always smirk at the fact that someone named "full and wider" is the editor of a fashion magazine.  And could we all please reach a consensus on whether it's Mary Claire or Marie Claire?  The editor and the creative director can't even agree.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, avecsans said:

And could we all please reach a consensus on whether it's Mary Claire or Marie Claire?  The editor and the creative director can't even agree.

That drives me NUTS! It's like Ian Ziering! Anyway, happy for the double auf! I didn't particularly care for anyone's look tonight, except maybe Erik's, from the front. I had no idea how odd the back was until it was pointed out. I was surprised Tim scoffed at pink being "powerful"; you'd think he wouldn't buy into such sexist notions. That said, Erin's looks were not all that interesting. My guess is that there's an oversize jacket fighting to get out every time she starts to design, and that she flails about trying to avoid the rut.

• Love 5

Dexter's been coasting so while I'm surprised we had a twin auf on the show, I'm pretty happy that he's gone.  I would have banked on him being in the final during the first couple of episodes this season but he lost me pretty quickly after his win.  Don't think I'll miss him too much.  

It never fails to amaze me - there's always the designer that cries that oh it's so so hard!  No shit Dick Tracy!  Haven't you watched other seasons?  The previous designers are not lying when they say it is hard!  

I'm watching but I'm kinda over it all.  

• Love 5

The more I see from this group, the less talented they seem. There just wasn't anything on the runway tonight that was new or beautiful or particularly editorial. I liked bits and pieces of outfits--the cut of Cornelius's dress was lovely, Mah-Jing's mix of fabrics was nicely done--but overall, it was just a big parade of meh. My favorite outfits were the two that were safe--Laurence's and Roberi's. But even those were merely okay. What a yawnfest.

No disagreement with the aufings, though. Those were both terrible outfits.

• Love 12

I won't miss either designer, honestly.  I liked Dexter until he became BFFs with Erin, who is...for me at least...at Gretchen, Ashley, and Anya levels of dislike/annoyance/I-don't-get-the-love-for.  And nothing Nathalia ever did impressed me much, until her completely mature and classy exit tonight.

I thought the only design on the runway that was even moderately "editorial" was Rik's, and that was certainly not without its flaws.   I didn't like the back, and I didn't think his splatter painted fabric was quite successful . It was still more interesting that Erin's dress with the clown ruffle, Mah-Jing's tweed and denim patchwork, or Laurance's bubble skirt party dress.  I loved Roberi's and liked Cornelius's, but neither was what I think of as editorial.  But of course Cornelius has to get a win, since he got the TGS.

I agree...the designers this year are not all that impressive.  But hey, PR:Juniors will be back soon, so hooray!

• Love 11

I've always interpreted editorial to mean "would photograph well for a magazine" which is why Laurence's was merely safe, you wouldn't be able to see her lovely skyline in a photograph.  It doesn't have to be edgy or pushing the boundaries, the details just have to show up in photographs.  So - by my definition - Cornelius's look was very editorial.  Those colors will pop and give the garment texture in a two dimensional image.

• Love 11

Dexter had a point. SOME people can put the same shit out there over and over, and it's "signature". His look was awful (don't even get me started on the sheer trend - "we're so much thinner and fabulous-er than the plebes that we don't even have to wear clothes!") but he was damn right in what he said to the judges. 

Mah-jing's looked like the 70's era couch in my college dorm lounge that was only being held together by duct tape. 

If Erin's dress had sleeves, I'd swear Blair Warner wore it to prom. 

I liked Cornelius's a lot. Don't know that I'd call it editorial, but whatever, I liked that it looked like a real person with a real job could wear it and still look unique. 

Natalia's Supergirl-on-the-walk-of-shame costume - I don't even have words.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, LisaBLingLing said:

I've always interpreted editorial to mean "would photograph well for a magazine" which is why Laurence's was merely safe, you wouldn't be able to see her lovely skyline in a photograph.  It doesn't have to be edgy or pushing the boundaries, the details just have to show up in photographs.  So - by my definition - Cornelius's look was very editorial.  Those colors will pop and give the garment texture in a two dimensional image.

I completely agree. Cornelius' dress had the architectural seaming, the pop of color from the leather, the textural contrast between the leather that had a little shine and the matte wool, and the placement of the leather pieces. When I first saw the piece on the back of the dress, I wondered for a second why he hadn't placed it a little lower. The more I thought about it, the more I realize the placement was perfect. It was high enough up so that you didn't have to use a wide shot to show the detail on the dress and you can still see expression in the model's face. Additionally it would let you do some profile shots and 3/4 back shots with the model turning her face to the camera.

• Love 10

I hate designers like Nathalia who can’t design their own clothes & have to ask everyone else what they should do. Even with all the help, her outfit was total crap, she deserved the auf. I’m surprised they auf’ed Dexter though.

Laurence my favorite, but she wasn’t even in the top. I thought Cornelius’ look was boring.

What was Rik thinking with the lack of back to his dress? It really did look like a toga.

Erin’s reminded me of a nightgown, & I didn't like the orange tweed material Mah-Jing used. they dress would have been much better with a different material IMO.

• Love 6

Dexter's looked like a woman in a bikini and a beach cover up.  Maybe she was modeling in Siberia, so she threw on a gigantic leather coat to stay warm between takes. The gigantic poofs house heat packs. 

It's hilarious that the judges thought he made the bra and panty. 

Edited by RedheadZombie
More words.
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I was surprised Tim scoffed at pink being "powerful"; you'd think he wouldn't buy into such sexist notions.

That was a really insipid pink, though. I think that Tim was reacting to that particular pink and not pink in general.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Isn't something that you'd wear to work the opposite of editorial?

Yes (and that  dress looked like a hip stewardess uniform for a trendy airline). 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8

This week was a new experience for me. I didn't have time to watch the whole episode so all I saw was the two minute clip of all the designs on the runway posted on the PR YouTube page. I had no idea what the actual assignment was so it was hilarious watching all these weird but dissimilar outfits come out while I tried to find any common thread among them (besides "fugly" and "I would never wear that ANYWHERE").

Dexter's was the first one on the runway so I thought okay, black bikini + black long sheer dress + black long sleeved faux leather coat with Mickey Mouse shoulder pads + tight hood on the model's head = goth resort wear? Was the challenge to design something for an emo teenager who is being forced to go on a Disney cruise with her family and this was her form of silent protest?

Then Nathalia's bright blue jumpsuit with HOLOGRAPHIC material came out and I was like fine, we're only on the second model and I already give up trying to figure this out because I have no idea how this outfit would fulfill any kind of PR challenge.

Roberi's dress was giving me shades of Uli: bright color, mixing patterns, floaty fabric, and a dress that looked easy to wear but flattering and feminine. It's not a traditional power outfit, but I think a power outfit is anything that makes you feel so good that you exude confidence while you're wearing it. I think that a lot of women would get that feeling from wearing this.

Mah-Jing's was kind of interesting in that the contrast between the two fabrics was very stark, but I need him to stop using denim so much. I didn't like the bra part on the front (and was it me or did it look like it was a smidge too high and the bottom of the bra part would have exposed some underboob?). The tweedy fabric reminded me of an old sofa and it made me think that the dress would have been uncomfortable to wear. Plus all that denim, which is often stiff and non stretchy made me think that this is the kind of dress that you would be relieved to take off.

I did not like Cornelius's dress at all. The grey color was boring and the bright red on the shoulder looked like a giant monster hand grabbing the model. The turquoise and yellow patch on the hip looked like a palm tree from a distance. I didn't like the yellow patch on the ass either.

I liked Laurence's dress but it looked like the kind of party dress you could find in the Macy's teen department. I didn't like the huge cutout on the back because it looked like there was a fit or construction issue. I liked the volume of the skirt in theory, but it made me feel like some teenage girl was going to accidentally flash her underwear. I guess I was too stuck on the idea that it looked like something that it would be worn to a high school dance in the gym.

Erin's was simple in silhouette and so wrong in every other aspect. That pink metallic fabric looked so cheap and tacky, like a halter top you would see at Forever 21. The blue ruffle and the way the straps were set in the back gave it a very dated look. It wasn't quite prairie/grandma, but the feel of it was almost there. I'm almost certain that my sister had a Barbie dress in that exact style and color combination way back when.

I couldn't decide what I thought about Rik's dress. I hated the paint splatter fabric up close. I didn't see the rest of the episode so I don't know what his design process was for the actual dress but it reminded me of something that my friend's 10 year old daughter made when she got inspired by watching PR. She just took fabric and pinned it to a dress form.

• Love 5

I saw Erin's dress and thought "Minnie Pearl!".  And then they liked it.  Wow.  What was up with the blue ruffle on the bottom?  

I was surprised about the Mah Jing love, too.  I liked Roberi's.  I liked Rik's on the runway but close-up, not so much. Didn't care for Corny's at all.  I thought it was another blah dress and it reminded me of his neon blah dress earlier on, from the "Let's Put Crap On A Plain Dress" Collection. Thought Laurance's looked like Barbie clothes.

I was ok with the two misguided souls who went home. 

• Love 8

Oh, show.  You give them one damn day, exhaust them with late hours, and then squee all over yourselves when someone pulls off the miracle of decent construction.  They say:  Look at Corn's interesting pattern pieces and how all the seams line up!  Erin created an A-line in the front and then fashioned two pleats in the back to channel the excess volume--genius!

My mother once had an agency in the fashion industry and I know some of the "secret tips" that make clothes beautiful and flattering--e.g. cutting on the bias.  These are completely shut out of the competition framework.  It would be so much more interesting to see what these designers could deliver instead of seeing what they can cobble together and shove out the door before the last tick-tock runs out.

Ah well, old complaint.

Cornelius' talent doesn't seem to be anything above average, but I don't begrudge him that small smile when Dexter was the surprise second auf.  If it had been the reverse, Dexter probably wouldn't have been able to resist a finger snap, at least.

Wasn't that model smart to bring her black bra with the intricate criss-cross strap design?  Funny that the judges had that marked down in the "pro" column and then it had to be scratched out.

I think Laurence is a shoo-in for the finale and they just send her back to the stew room as "safe" so they can decide who should join her.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I was surprised Tim scoffed at pink being "powerful"; you'd think he wouldn't buy into such sexist notions.

I think that was code for, "your outfit is hideous". 

I wish that Tim had just said to Erin "make it work" and let her send monstrosity down the runway just so we could see the judges faces.

• Love 18

I can't disagree with the two eliminations, but I too don't get the love for Erin's dress.  It was basic as hell and that blue ruffle on the bottom looked like bed dust ruffles sold in the discount section of bedding at Sears in the 80s.  However, it was better than the pink monstrosity that looked to be heading toward a Peptoville costume for Justin Timberlake's next appearance on SNL.

• Love 21

I turned off the tv after the first aid so didn't know Dexter also got the boot.  His garment was hideous so based on that he deserved to go.  I swear I had Cornelius' dress in the 1990s, except mine was all red and made by Leslie Faye.  Erin.  What can I say except it was crap.  I think Mah-Jong should have won.  I loved the denim and tweed mix.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Merneith said:

Erin made a metallic tweed hoe-down dress with a safety-vest flounce in baby-shower pink & blue. I was begging someone to ask her where she thought her girl was going. I defy Nina and that other lady to wear Erin's dress to their next New York power meeting.

She was going to a wedding as a bridesmaid in 1977. I know--that was the dress I had to wear to a friend's wedding that year. Okay, it wasn't metallic (Gunne Sax/prairie look was in that year) but aside from that...yeah. I recognized it immediately and I'm still wondering who she's blackmailed to get this far.

That flounce was the bee's knees back when I was in high school. In the 1970's. I guess she decided to go retro. Or something.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 12

I actually liked Erin's dress and also found it charming, tho up close, the blue flounce looked cheap and weird. But I loved the sparkly pink tweedy fabric. I also thought Dexter's was sort of cool, tho yeah, in a beach cover up way, tho the Mickey Mouse eared jacket was silly, both times. He should have made the undergarments tho, too.

I thought the construction of Cornelius' dress was interesting and the color choices fun, but I in no way see how that's an 'editorial' dress.

• Love 3

Too cute when Heidi was amused by Mah Jing.  "Mah Jing, you crack me up!"  Genuine laughter.  Loved it.  Zak and Nina were cute in that scene as well.

I LOVED Roberi's dress. Not sure it fit the challenge, but loved it regardless. 

Nina Garcia was mean as shit to Dexter.  Uncomfortable.  His outfit was god awful, but she was just nasty.

Party of one, maybe, but I loved the fabric (not the ruffle) on Erin's dress.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Isn't something that you'd wear to work the opposite of editorial?

I would have thought so.

i was disappointed that thye loved Corneilus' design, and that no one mentioned that the color part on the back looked like someone with paint-covered hands had grabbed the model's butt. I thought the placement of that particular bit of color was unfortunate at best. Of course, I also thought that dress was hideous.

I did like it when the editor in chief of Marie Claire basically told the creative director that she was wrong about Rik's dress.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 9

Not so much his whimpers while actually on the helicopter, but I lived for Mah-Jing's pre-flight faces and his meeps and moops on the runway when they praised his look.  I was also very intrigued by his post-challenge reaction to the AARP one, and that it was worth $25,000 to have had a chance for a rapprochement with his mom.  

• Love 8
10 hours ago, avecsans said:

I did not see the double elimination coming for some reason so I was really surprised Dexter got the boot.   And I had to agree with him that other designers show the same look over and over and don't get punished.  But his outfit was fugly without a doubt.  Nathalia was cannon fodder from the beginning and her voice was so annoying so I was sure she'd go tonight.

I did not like Dexter's dress at all.  His model looked like a flight attendant on Sesame Street airlines.  I can't see "powerful " women wanting to wear that and I don't even think it would photograph that well.  The only dress I liked at all was Laurence's, and that wasn't really original.

My inner 10 year old will always smirk at the fact that someone named "full and wider" is the editor of a fashion magazine.  And could we all please reach a consensus on whether it's Mary Claire or Marie Claire?  The editor and the creative director can't even agree.

Let's see if I can post something that makes sense on what I have heard the pronunciation of the magazine from my sister who did a bunch of interns at Conde Nast publications (and went on to be a doctor for some reason lol).

It is not Marie like most of us Americans pronounce it.  Mah-ree.  With less emphasis on the 'a' and more on the 'M'.

It also is not 'Mary'. 

It is something between.  A more French soft 'marie'.  Think of it having no 'a;' but rather an apostrophe between the m and the r.  and a soft 'h' after the r.

M'rhee; almost slurring the second syllable.  Its a bit like how Monsieur done right (or at least making my first year Parisian french teacher beam happily) is to treat it like it is two words but the gap so slight it can be more understood than heard.  M'sieur.

Now two things.  One my sister could be wrong as hell.  And two even if she is, I'm not sure i quite explained it right!

• Love 19
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It's hilarious that the judges thought [Dexter] made the bra and panty. 

I don't think he would have been eliminated if the had made the undergarments, too.  To me, when Heidi found out he hadn't made them, it was the last straw.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

However, it was better than the pink monstrosity that looked to be heading toward a Peptoville costume for Justin Timberlake's next appearance on SNL.

Ha, the JT-SNL reference is spot on.  I was going to say, when people stuff their little doxies into hot dog buns for Halloween, but those are cute and this was just stunning for its . . . badness.  (Words fail me.) 

Erin!  You could wear that thing to murder someone and walk free on insanity.

3 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Nina Garcia was mean as shit to Dexter.  Uncomfortable.  His outfit was god awful, but she was simply nasty.

I'm giving Meana Nina a pass, based on Dexter so firmly insisting to Tim that it was not going to be like his previous Mickey Mouse ear jacket "in any way, shape, or form."

• Love 2

I, too, liked Erin's dress, but not the ruffle.  I admit I am mesmerized with sparkly, glittery things and I border on tacky at times!  However, even though I liked the dress, I do not think it was impressive enough to be on a DESIGN show.  I have seen that dress hundreds of times.  Heck, my Barbie had a similar one in the 1970's. Now that I think about it, I probably liked Erin's dress simply for nostalgic reasons as a throwback to playing with Barbies!

As much as I thought Cornelius did a good job, I agree with the other posters who said it really did not fit "editorial" all that well.  Nina, through the years, has always insisted the editorial pieces be almost explosive with color.  I wonder how it will look on the pages of Marie-Mary Claire?  

I adore Rik, but did not really enjoy his piece this week.  I still hope he is one of the 3 finalists.  I want to see his Mommy sitting in the audience, hopefully wearing the piece he made for her last week!

• Love 4

Last night's episode brought home to me as never before that when maturity and originality fall away under pressure, and you don't really understand the theme, you can still be "safe" if you hang onto good (or at least not blatantly offensive) taste and/or construction, or you at least *try* something new.  Roberi, Laurence, and Cornelius hung on to those fallback qualities of taste and construction. Good for them. Nathalie didn't; needs more years to percolate. Dexter blew "taste," and his sleeves were no longer original, but he couldn't get saved by his construction since he didn't make the underwear. I thought Erin's was a frilled sack, and I can't imagine feeling attractive in it, but it was "tasteful" enough and probably constructed ok, so she could (barely) survive. Personally, I thought Mah-Jing's was fugly and lost the taste test, but I guess it was well constructed? And they needed a new green room for Rik--half a room, with half a couch, half a rug, and half a door. But that half would at least be well-constructed, use original fabrics, and be tasteful, like his halfadress.

p.s. I loved seeing how Dexter put *himself* together each week, more than anything he did with his models, and I'm going to miss that. I liked Nathalia, too, and will miss her bubbly self. I admire the way she went out.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

I think Dexter was done as soon as Heidi realized the underwear belonged to the model.  

2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

I think Dexter was done as soon as Heidi realized the underwear belonged to the model.  

I agree with so much that has been said but cannot quote lines on this stupid iPad my son gave me to use after borrowing my laptop. 

I would love to own one of Erin's coats. With more time and no constrictions I bet she could make a collection of outer wear to die for.  I have a felted wool coat that looks like hers and I love it.  Her dress was hideous though I loved the fabric on the main part.

Only ones I liked were those declared safe. I see Laurence in the finales but expect a boring collection given her color pallet. I love her style but mostly black collections don't read well on the runway. 

I agree that Dexter was toast upon learning it was the models underwear.  I don't think the double boot was necessarily in the plan for this week.  A double was in the schedule but I think planned for later. IIRC a double is announced at beginning of challenge and done just before it is down to F4. 

Mah Jing is a sweetie. I don't like a bra on the outside look. And that does not read as powerful woman either, quit the opposite. 

I love Nina and her sometimes scathing criticism. She is my favorite judge. 

Dexter is correct in that some designers do have a style that shows up in everything they make, Laurence is an example of that. She does not repeat a specific feature though. Her esthetic is there.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

I'm sure I've seen Erin's dress on a Barbie doll, the dress she wears when she's in the box, but that's the ugliest one so you're forced to buy more clothes for her?

And it's the ONLY Barbie left on the shelf because everyone else bought the ones with the pretty dresses.

• Love 13