Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E11: A Power Trip

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I guess that I'm the only one who really questioned Nina's outfit in this episode.  When she stood up it looked like the dress did not fit properly, she stooped a bit to keep the sleeves up, and basically just looked messy to me.  The contrast between her look and the look of the editor of her magazine was striking to me.

Dexter had a huge sense of entitlement-his report back to the others that the judges were overboard on their critiques of his work and the tears that accompanied his poor, pitiful self.  When he made his argument on the runway that others kept similar looks in their designs, I think he missed the point that the judges liked those other looks and clearly told him the last time he did the Mickey Mouse jacket that they didn't like his 'signature' look.  

Laurence's look was way too short for her model.  Otherwise I really liked it; I also liked Roberi's look.  I understand what Rik was trying to do with an editorial look, but he should have made the back a complete look.  I knew he would be safe as soon as the editor said how much she liked it.  I wonder just how secure Nina's job at the magazine is...

• Love 4

Totally agree with the Barbie comments on Erin’s dress.  When I first saw it my exact thought was “I think my Barbie had a dress like that back in the 80’s”.  Of course, her original design was absolutely terrible; yet another big, bulky, shapeless coat.  Only difference between that and every other coat she’s done was the “piglet” pink and the way she cut the opening.  At least this time she pull her head out of her you-know-where and listened to Tim Gunn.  I did laugh when Erin said Natalia needed more maturity as a designer.  Um, pot, meet kettle.

I think he missed the point that the judges liked those other looks and clearly told him the last time he did the Mickey Mouse jacket that they didn't like his 'signature' look.

Yep.  Dexter is right that some designers repeat the same things over and over w/o the judges minding too much.  BUT he missed that major caveat with that:  you should only repeat the stuff the judges said they liked.  If they didn’t like it (or were deeply divided on it) the first time, like his mouse ear shoulders, you’d be an idiot to repeat it.  I was okay with the double auf.

I think Natalia might have been safer if her jumpsuit was better constructed and didn’t have the reflective strip in front.

Roberi’s was beautiful and Rik’s was interesting and could have been a high score if he’d done something more interesting in the back.  As it was, it looked like 2 different dresses mixed together.

Okay with Cornelius’s win.  I liked his look.  I liked Mah-Jing’s as well, though agree with Heidi and the others here who think the boob area should have been different.  I like the story arc of designers really struggling in the beginning then adjusting and finding their groove later in the season; sort of under dogs.  I like that much better than designers who are front runners all along (Laurence, though I really like her) or designers who have early success and let it go to their heads (Erin and Dexter).

• Love 2

I think Laurence was lucky with her choice of fabric on the skirt.  When she realized the front was too short, she just added some fabric, but with the wild print, the seam wasn't obvious.

That said, even though she has a narrow range, she always executes well and there's generally  nothing to hate on... *cough Minnie Mouse shoulders*

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

Let's see if I can post something that makes sense on what I have heard the pronunciation of the magazine from my sister who did a bunch of interns at Conde Nast publications (and went on to be a doctor for some reason lol).

It is not Marie like most of us Americans pronounce it.  Mah-ree.  With less emphasis on the 'a' and more on the 'M'.

It also is not 'Mary'. 

It is something between.  A more French soft 'marie'.  Think of it having no 'a;' but rather an apostrophe between the m and the r.  and a soft 'h' after the r.

M'rhee; almost slurring the second syllable.  Its a bit like how Monsieur done right (or at least making my first year Parisian french teacher beam happily) is to treat it like it is two words but the gap so slight it can be more understood than heard.  M'sieur.

Now two things.  One my sister could be wrong as hell.  And two even if she is, I'm not sure i quite explained it right!

I think where Americans get tangled up in French pronunciation is by trying to emphasize syllables as we do in English, while in French each syllable receives equal emphasis.  So it's not muh-REE (as in Marie Osmond), or MAYR-ee, as in Mary had a little lamb, but MAHREE, or mahree, equal emphasis on each syllable. (And of course the r is different, too.)  I just hear various American (and Heidi's German) attempts at trying to pronounce, more or less failing.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I'm sure I've seen Erin's dress on a Barbie doll, the dress she wears when she's in the box, but that's the ugliest one so you're forced to buy more clothes for her?

My exact thought on seeing Erin's dress! It wasn't even good enough for Barbie; don't understand how the judges let it pass. Erin should have gone home weeks ago.

Loved Cornelius' dress but very few of the remaining designs said "Powerful Woman" to me. Lawrence's was way too short in the front, Mah-Jing's would have been better without the bra-like chest piece, Dexter's was just ridiculous. But then I don't think powerful women are reading MarieClaire; they're reading Vogue. What I wouldn't give to have Anna Wintour bring a dose of fashion reality to these idiots.

• Love 5

Well that was a whole load of fug.  You know there's something wrong in Project Runway Town when Mah-Jing and Cornelius are in the top, since they are not particularly great.

The only design I liked was Cornelius' dress.  The rest were ugly/boring/hideous.

• Love 3

I also missed the first 15 minutes, so I missed the assignment.   Then I only half-assed watched during the first round of construction and Tim's critique, so I was trying to figure out what the hell the theme was.  When I saw Erin's sheet of pink craft foam, my first thoughts were; 1)  OMG! NOT ANOTHER goddamn cocoon shape! 2) is it an ironic outfit for a bris celebration?  3) a new mascot costume for Oscar Mayer bologna?

Nathalia and Dexter were the right choices, but honestly I wasn't impressed by anything up there.  Granted, I don't know what the hell "editorial" means (but then again, I'd challenge Nina & Heidi to define it... "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.")

• Love 9
13 hours ago, LisaBLingLing said:

I've always interpreted editorial to mean "would photograph well for a magazine" which is why Laurence's was merely safe, you wouldn't be able to see her lovely skyline in a photograph.  It doesn't have to be edgy or pushing the boundaries, the details just have to show up in photographs.  So - by my definition - Cornelius's look was very editorial.  Those colors will pop and give the garment texture in a two dimensional image.

Editorial means whatever they want it to mean. See also-avant garde.

I love Laurence and I liked her dress, but heavens to Betsy can we please lose the New York skyline "inspiration"? Its so literal and it seems that whenever people are tasked with "make an outfit inspired by NYC" it appears. And the judges fall all over themselves "so clever!". Um, not really.

11 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Dexter's looked like a woman in a bikini and a beach cover up.  Maybe she was modeling in Siberia, so she threw on a gigantic leather coat to stay warm between takes. The gigantic poofs house heat packs. 

It's hilarious that the judges thought he made the bra and panty. 

Heidi was so outraged by that! It really made me laugh.

Erin's dress was all kinds of wrong. It might not have been too bad without the flounce, maybe. It would have been generic but that blue flounce! Why??

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Erin's dress was all kinds of wrong. It might not have been too bad without the flounce, maybe. It would have been generic but that blue flounce! Why??

I can't believe the judges didn't think this thing was awful.

• Love 16

I did like Cornelius' design.  The color not so much.

So Mah Jing worked for Zac Posen.  This means the judges will love everything he does, no matter how ugly it actually is.  He'll be in the final three.

I get the feeling Erin was more into that friendship than Dexter was.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I love Laurence and I liked her dress, but heavens to Betsy can we please lose the New York skyline "inspiration"? Its so literal and it seems that whenever people are tasked with "make an outfit inspired by NYC" it appears. And the judges fall all over themselves "so clever!". Um, not really.

COSIGN. Try harder, folks. 

• Love 5

Cornelius' dress looked like the flight attendant uniforms on The Fifth Element to me. HATED that BS Erin made- same with what Nathalia made. In the beginning of this season I really didn't like Cornelius' shade throwing ass, but after he got knocked down a few pegs he is tolerable to me. Conversely I really liked Dexter and Erin in the beginning- now can't stand either one, and am thrilled Dexter and his inflated ego will be off my tv.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I swear I had Cornelius' dress in the 1990s, except mine was all red and made by Leslie Faye.

I had this dress in red as well, but  I couldn't remember who made it!! I think mine may have had long sleeves, though.  Also my daughter had the same dress Erin made in a size 6; that was 25 years ago, but I think the only difference was that Erin's has an asymmetrical hem.   I was okay with the tweed/denim dress Mah-jongg made except I absolutely hated the bra in front; Heidi liked it,and  that's what matters.  I want a button on my remote that will slap someone in the tv when they really annoy me; tonight  it was Nathalie with her remark about not knowing it would be so hard.   I  am not even a candidate for that type of show and I know it would be hard---little sleep, pressure to design in 30 minutes and a timed shopping trip to Mood, snarky designers and judges,  etc&etc---plus  the preparation to go on the show. If I were to be on the show I would prepare for it with the same determination that I  studied for the bar exam;  I would watch all the previous seasons and practice making things I was not good at or preferred not to do.   And if my sewing skills were  lacking I would take a course or two. It is so annoying to hear " I  don't do ______." Like on Top Chef when someone always pipes up and claims never to make desserts, despite the fact that you can pretty much count on a dessert challenge.    I know it isn't Project Seamstress, but some of the poorly sewn and unfinished stuff has underwhelmed me.  I was okay with the double elimination.  Nathalie probably should have gone earlier; I had no clue she relied so much on others. 

Someone remarked that this season the person that stays is called first of the remaining two in the bottom; I recall one season, it alternated each week; I picked up on that pattern after several shows and it remained the pattern  the entire season. 

• Love 4

I can't believe Erin bragged that her blue ruffle was made out of reflective construction material.  I can't believe none of judges asked, "Why??".  That's appropriate in an unconventional challenge, but not on "real" clothes.  It's like she's not genuinely kooky, she's faking it.  Which bugs.  Why oh why didn't Tim tell her the pink piglet look rocked?

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Why oh why didn't Tim tell her the pink piglet look rocked?

LOL. I thought that thing looked like some kind of maternity outfit for a woman who's having quadruplets. Which I guess kind of harkens back to the piglet thing :)

• Love 6

The only editorial look I get was Rik's outfit. The back definitely is a mess but I thought at least it has some cool ideas and creativity put into it.

Last season we had saw a similar silhouette from Blake which has major issues in terms of construction and the judge did gave him a win so I am kinda surprised he was on the bottom.

On the other hands, Erin definitely has talent and a good eyes for colors without a doubt. however I don't think she really hit the mark of the challenge at all throughout the season except for the 1st and 3rd episodes which was her esthetic and she totally nailed it. The garment she creates this week was probably one of her worst.

Cornelius deserved the win in this for sure because the rest is meh. I don't see him last any longer quite frankly especially having a quick look of the final collections of this season.

Top 3 will be Erin, Roberi and Rik, or maybe Laurence if there will be another 4 finalist going to fashion week.

55 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Someone remarked that this season the person that stays is called first of the remaining two in the bottom;

It wasn't that Nathalia was called first that gave it away that there was going to be a double elimination, it was that she left the runway before Dexter.  I don't that that ever happens--where the last person back to the stew room is safe but the one before was out.  Dexter must have know what was up as soon as he was standing there alone.

Pretty bad runway overall, IMO, with a very poorly defined or meaningful brief.

I had hopes for this season, but not so much anymore.  I bet the judges still want to see Erin's coats in the finale, so I'd bet final three are Erin, Laurence, and Rik.  Cornelius better not make the finale or I'll be pissed.  He still bugs me, not with the shade, but now with his sense of entitlement.

• Love 7

Laughed out loud at editing, end of show, Dexter cutting eyes at Cornelius upon realizing (again!) that he's going home and Cornelius isn't.  Also laughed when everyone is hugging each other and giving goo-goo eyes, except NOTHIN' from Cornelius to Dexter or vice versa.  Goodbye Mean Queen!

• Love 6

Another week of blah. This entire season is blah to me, with the exception of Laurence. Again, the "good" outfits are merely OK, the rest are just crap. I mean last week's and this week's winning looks both seemed like something from J.C. Penneys to me. Regardless of theme. Theme? What theme? They're supposed to 1. take inspiration from NYC skyline, 2. make it "editorial", and 3. design for a "powerful" (working) woman. This is nearly as silly as some of the "challenges" on ANTM.

I have trouble believing the judge's praise is real. I know I don't have the best read on what's high fashion, but I know what would sell in Walmart, and most of these outfits would fit right in. All of these designers seems to be faking it. They really don't have a creative voice or vision or design aesthetic; they are just pretending to, for a reality show. I wonder why. Are the producers selecting designers based more on the drama they'll provide and less for their actual talent? Is that why these people are all so ordinary?

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

It wasn't that Nathalia was called first that gave it away that there was going to be a double elimination, it was that she left the runway before Dexter.  I don't that that ever happens--where the last person back to the stew room is safe but the one before was out.  Dexter must have know what was up as soon as he was standing there alone.

I took it a little bit differently, although I think you are right about the auffed person generally being last off the runway.  First Heidi said one or more of you will be out, but then she said, after Rik left, that one of you will be out.  So when Heidi called Nathalia's name as out, Dexter collapsed in what appeared to be relief that he, therefore, must be in, only to learn this was not so.  I thought it was a cheap manipulation.  

They must have needed to make up for the extra body created by the TGS.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

I think where Americans get tangled up in French pronunciation is by trying to emphasize syllables as we do in English, while in French each syllable receives equal emphasis.  So it's not muh-REE (as in Marie Osmond), or MAYR-ee, as in Mary had a little lamb, but MAHREE, or mahree, equal emphasis on each syllable. (And of course the r is different, too.)  I just hear various American (and Heidi's German) attempts at trying to pronounce, more or less failing.  

Particularly since the name is kind of expressed as all one word, not two. The accent is generally on the final syllable, so 'Marie Claire' is treated as a three-syllable word with the "_  _  / " stress rather than as "Marie" and "Claire" with "_ / and /" stress pattern. (French major long, long ago...)

• Love 1

I was so worried for Mah Jing when I saw that fugly tweed but damn if he didn't pull it off.  I loved his girl 's look and stlying.  Roberi was in the top for me too.  Not very "editorial" but simply lovely.

I cackled, literally CACKLED when Dexter was auf'd.  I did not see that coming but it was so satisfying.  And my ears can now stop bleeding thanks to the Nathalia departure.  

• Love 4

I really only liked Roberis, I coúld see lots of women wearing a pretty dress like that to summer parties. I haven't  enjoyed Dexter's personality or fashions, but I thought the way he ws auf'ed was kind of mean. Especially if the pause actually was as long as they showed.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, SherriAnt said:

I really only liked Roberis, I coúld see lots of women wearing a pretty dress like that to summer parties. I haven't  enjoyed Dexter's personality or fashions, but I thought the way he ws auf'ed was kind of mean. Especially if the pause actually was as long as they showed.

I think he was auffed right after she left the runway. They just held him back from entering the break room untIl Nat had her goodbye time.

• Love 1

I'm terrified of flying, so I was rooting for Mah Jing. I laughed when he talked about his inspiration on the helicopter. He sat in the middle and looked miserable. When someone is in the midst of terror, they aren't inspired by much -- except to survive.

I saw Dexter on another fashion reality show, Styled to Rock with Rihanna. I always found Dexter likable but didn't see him as that great a talent. 

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

LOL. I thought that thing looked like some kind of maternity outfit for a woman who's having quadruplets. Which I guess kind of harkens back to the piglet thing :)

I thought of a just born mouse or an earthworm.  I guess we can say it was creative.  It certainly led us all to interesting comparisons. 

Didn't really care for any of the designs this week.  Hated Mah Jing's.  Can't imagine wearing something with a simulated bra on the outside and feeling "powerful".  I'd feel like I forgot to put on a top.

I think the only accurate comment was the groan by Swatch as they left Mood.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I can't disagree with the two eliminations, but I too don't get the love for Erin's dress.

Never forget -- these are the people who fell over themselves praising Ashley Nell Tipton.

They always have an agenda.   Their taste is not to be trusted.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand Mah-Jing.   I think he's a phony baloney, his designs suck, he cries way too much and he seems no more Chinese than Donna Chang.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, candall said:

My mother once had an agency in the fashion industry and I know some of the "secret tips" that make clothes beautiful and flattering--e.g. cutting on the bias.  These are completely shut out of the competition framework.  It would be so much more interesting to see what these designers could deliver instead of seeing what they can cobble together and shove out the door before the last tick-tock runs out.

What does it mean to cut on the bias?

So surprised at Nathalia's graceful exit. But her voice annoyed me to hell.

Erin's dress looked like a 70s prom.

• Love 1
  17 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I can't disagree with the two eliminations, but I too don't get the love for Erin's dress.

Never forget -- these are the people who fell over themselves praising Ashley Nell Tipton.

They always have an agenda.   Their taste is not to be trusted.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand Mah-Jing.   I think he's a phony baloney, his designs suck, he cries way too much and he seems no more Chinese than Donna Chang.

Didn't you get the feeling in last week's challenge that the judges were actually afraid of Mah-Jing's mother? She looked like a rhino coming down the catwalk in that outfit he concocted for her, and they couldn't stop telling her how wonderful she looked. They acted like they thought she was going to pull a switchblade on them.

• Love 4
On 11/17/2016 at 9:45 PM, Archery said:

Erin's first look was like a mascot for Pepto Bismol.

Agreed. It also made me think she was making a coat for the new mascot for the new drug Xifaxen (whose mascot is so hideous I couldn't un-see it):

CSMxKqmUcAAHByg.jpg

15 hours ago, picklesprite said:

And they needed a new green room for Rik--half a room, with half a couch, half a rug, and half a door. But that half would at least be well-constructed, use original fabrics, and be tasteful, like his halfadress.

Yes, somewhere Willy Wonka wanted that dress for an assistant in his half-office.

14 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Laurence's look was way too short for her model.

The scary thing about that is that she said it was too short after fitting and she added extra fabric to it. Yikes.

So yeah another sub-par showing in general...

• Love 9
2 hours ago, pbutler111 said:

Didn't you get the feeling in last week's challenge that the judges were actually afraid of Mah-Jing's mother? She looked like a rhino coming down the catwalk in that outfit he concocted for her, and they couldn't stop telling her how wonderful she looked. They acted like they thought she was going to pull a switchblade on them.

Oh yes, I said in the thread for last week's episode that the judges seemed afraid of her.  

17 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Oh, thanks.  I missed that.  Once they dismiss the models and only the contestants are left, I usually head to the bathroom to pull our my contacts so I don't usually see the rest of the show; I  just listen to it.  The first few seasons I watched every minute of the show, now not so much.

23 minutes ago, stacyasp said:

Google Delpozo and look at the Google images...Erin has totally copied everything down to the fugly dress she made her mother

delpozo.jpg

Holy cow! It's like she's picked one thing to copy per week. 

• Love 1