Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:
6 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I like the name, too.  But considering that our new granddaughter, due in two weeks, will be stuck with the name Eleanor, any other name sounds heavenly to me at this point.  

Aw, that's a beautiful, classic name - a name of a queen!  Is it possible she'll be nicknamed Ella or Ellie?  Both are adorable.

"Nell" is also a traditional nickname for Eleanor.

• Love 6

No, it is the rude, unacceptable and awful nickname that I hope no one ever uses in her presence.

The acceptable nicknames are Fliss, Flick, Flissy, Flossie, Fellie, Lissa, Fee, Fifi, Lis, Lissie, Flicka, Flossy, Lissy, Fizzy.

I know a Fee.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

No, it is the rude, unacceptable and awful nickname that I hope no one ever uses in her presence.

The acceptable nicknames are Fliss, Flick, Flissy, Flossie, Fellie, Lissa, Fee, Fifi, Lis, Lissie, Flicka, Flossy, Lissy, Fizzy.

I know a Fee.

I had an aunt whose given name was Felicity, but she ended up going by Phyllis somewhere along the line, spelling and all. I like a lot of the nicknames in that list.

4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I had an aunt whose given name was Felicity, but she ended up going by Phyllis somewhere along the line, spelling and all. I like a lot of the nicknames in that list.

There's also Felix, Fay, and Felice, though why one would bother using the last on someone I don't know as it's almost the same name, I have seen it done.

• Love 1

I've never been a big fan of nick names.  Yes, I'll affectionately call the little angel in our family "Butter Bean" once in a while, but, mainly, I use her actual name.  It's a nice name. Why not? I know a few people who actually are called Rebecca not Becky,  Robert, not Bob and William, not Bill.  I think it takes courage to instruct others to use your real name, when they have other ideas. lol 

• Love 9

It'll be interesting to see how Spur and Iz say Felicity's name. Many a nickname come out of the mouths of babes. Prince William calling the Queen - Gary - instead of Granny for instance. 

• Love 7
On 1/23/2018 at 4:14 AM, mynextmistake said:

41 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I went to school with a girl who was one of 5 sisters.  All the girls had the initials TJM.  Totally limiting and I felt so sorry for them when it came time to order school jackets.  They got to have the initials on the front and nothing personal on the back, like band, or athletics because they expected to get 2 - 3 girls through 1 jacket.

I went to a Catholic high school in the latec1960's.  In my group of about 6 friends, 5 of us were named Mary in one form or another.  The one who was not named Mary was  called un-Mary.

During my teaching career, I had several students with unusal names.  I had Prince, and Desire among others.  I should have kept a list!

My friend had a boy named Lexus in her class.  His parents told her he was named after where he had been conceived.  I think his middle name was Harley.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, queenanne said:

There's also Felix, Fay, and Felice, though why one would bother using the last on someone I don't know as it's almost the same name, I have seen it done.

Well, it IS, at two syllables, half the spoken length, even though it has almost as many letters. I do really like the name Felicity, but it is a bit of a mouthful!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, it IS, at two syllables, half the spoken length, even though it has almost as many letters. I do really like the name Felicity, but it is a bit of a mouthful!

Felicia is awfully close, and there's the whole "bye Felicia" thing. But that gag should be over by the time this little girl is school age. 

• Love 2

I picture the youngest kids saying, Ficity, because the letter l is tough!

My ex husband’s name is Edward. Everyone called him Ed when speaking to him, except me. If I was speaking about him in a conversation though, I would say Ed. I’m weird.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I picture the youngest kids saying, Ficity, because the letter l is tough!

My ex husband’s name is Edward. Everyone called him Ed when speaking to him, except me. If I was speaking about him in a conversation though, I would say Ed. I’m weird.

My older son's name is Stephen, pronounced "steffen" (that's a whole different topic). When my daughter was little, she called him, "my Feh-'in"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

"Oranjello and Lemonjello" is a racist urban legend, as is "Le-a" (pronounced "Le-dash-a").

While it may be, I was getting volunteer hours filing cabinets in his office and did, in fact, see those names on a chart because I did not believe him. This, of course, was well over two decades ago...long before the internet was the internet. 

I went to school with a Christopher...which seems normal, but he wanted it pronounced Chris-STOF-her and if you pronounced it as Christ-a-fer, he would stop and correct you. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

I know a Fee.

Now I remember a young woman in one of my college classes.  Her name (or what she went by, anyway) was Flicka.  The instructor made a lame joke about the horse in My Friend Flicka.  He was a real dickhead.  

Honestly, I've never heard my neighbor called anything but Felicity, so I assumed that the name had no nicknames.  

I do look at the birth announcements in the newspaper now & then to see what they're naming kids.  I'm kind of hoping old-school names like mine (and I'll never tell) make a comeback.  Everything old is new again.

• Love 1

Since Felicita means happiness, they can call her Happy and call it a day. It's completely not the name I imagined they would pick. I expected something more Italian to piss off Boob. 

(edited)

I had a student who was named Bryton. I pronounced it with a long i. That seemed the most logical to me, and he never corrected me. I was always careful about asking on the first day if I was saying their names right. He never said anything. About midway through the semester, I called on him in class, and he corrected me with a put-out "My name is pronounced Britain." I apologized profusely and tried to never again call him the dreaded Brighton, but every time I saw his name I wanted to scream at his parents about how they spelled his name. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12

Well...the long line if Duggar pregnancies has come to end with the birth of sweet Felicity...Boob must be getting nervous....as of today there are no announcements for future Duggar grandchildren. Lauren and Jessa are up next to announce pregnancies with Anna and Joy announcing by year's end.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

'y mother pronounced Steven as Stee-venn, and Stephen as Steff-enn.  

So in some cases, that is correct.  Something else I learned today!

That was Mr Jynn's thinking. That everyone who pronounced "Stephen" as "Stee-ven" was simply wrong. I tried to argue the sheer phonetic irregularity of English in general, but he wouldn't be swayed. And I do kind of like the pronunciation anyway.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Normades said:

When I worked in the court system, there were siblings named Supreme Honesty and Supreme Destiny.  I always wondered if they would eventually have a sibling named Supreme Being.  Makes you really question what people are thinking. 

When I first started in practice, the nurses in our office used to keep a notebook to record the weird names.  I delivered a set of twins: Shalonda and Lashonda.  Say that 3 times fast.  I had a patient named Germanee.  Her mother was China and she had a sister Asia.  I asked her if her sister was the favorite since she got a continent and all Germanee got was a lousy country, but she didn't get it.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Probably have mentioned this before, but my favorite I've seen in real life is a baby girl named Vengeance. You KNOW there's a story there.

I only know 2 Felicitys.  Kendall the British actress and the Keri Russell show. The name itself reminds me of a cat (feline). They could nickname her Kitty, lol.

I delivered a little girl named Nemesis.  Her brother is Kal-El.  Mom and dad are comic book fans-duh!

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Well...the long line if Duggar pregnancies has come to end with the birth of sweet Felicity...Boob must be getting nervous....as of today there are no announcements for future Duggar grandchildren. Lauren and Jessa are up next to announce pregnancies with Anna and Joy announcing by year's end.

Lauren got married 2-3 weeks ago? She's already pregnant.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Good gravy!  My mother's name is Phyllis and she has always hated it.  Maybe little Felicity will have a pet name like Skeeter or Bug (some endearing handle like that) and they will leave her proper name as is.  I can dream...........

• Love 5

Baby Felicity is beautiful.   To add to the name collections, a set of triplets in my daughter's class were named Mercedes, Lexus and Porsche.

Congratulations Jinger and Jeremy

• Love 6
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Nicole is one of my favorite names.  

Mine too; that is why it's my daughter's name.  Felicity is a nice name.  It's different.  The last thing this world needs is another Sophia or Olivia. 

• Love 6

Over my many years of teaching, I came across many interesting names.  I had a couple of girls named "Princess", a boy named "Sir", and there was a Sundaycarbirth in our district (he went by Sonny, I think).   I had a Robbertt in the hospital nursery.  The absolute worst was a boy whose name was spelled S-h-i-t-h-e-a-d, pronounced "Sha-thawd.  Then there was a boy misnamed Angel.  The school pictures should have included a profile shot in addition to the front view.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Over my many years of teaching, I came across many interesting names.  I had a couple of girls named "Princess", a boy named "Sir", and there was a Sundaycarbirth in our district (he went by Sonny, I think).   I had a Robbertt in the hospital nursery.  The absolute worst was a boy whose name was spelled S-h-i-t-h-e-a-d, pronounced "Sha-thawd.  Then there was a boy misnamed Angel.  The school pictures should have included a profile shot in addition to the front view.

Shithead is another one like Lemonjello and Le-a that’s been going around for ages!  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/funny-names/

• Love 12

I had heard of an Indian boy named Shithead (shuh-TEED) when I was working as a school psychologist. I didn't work directly with the kid, but apparently one of my coworkers had either worked with him or knew of him.

I'm a few pages late to this, but as a true crime buff, I hear the name Cinnamon, and my first thought is Cinnamon Brown, who at 14 was manipulated into killing her stepmother by her father. 

Back on topic, Felicity Nicole is nice, and I hope she gets to grow up happy, well-educated, and free to be a daughter, not a sister-mom.

• Love 15

I know a little girl whose first and middle name is Anonymous Justice. 

Felicity is a nice name and I'm guessing they'll nickname her something that has little to do with her given name. One of my children will answer to Bear, even though her given name is not at all close to bear.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

I'm a few pages late to this, but as a true crime buff, I hear the name Cinnamon, and my first thought is Cinnamon Brown, who at 14 was manipulated into killing her stepmother by her father. 

Back on topic, Felicity Nicole is nice, and I hope she gets to grow up happy, well-educated, and free to be a daughter, not a sister-mom.

I remembered that case and her first name too. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

I went to school with a Cinnamon Brown (not the same person as above).

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

What does "misnamed" mean? Was he Hispanic? That's a common name for men in Spanish speaking cultures. It's pronounced more like "on-HEL" (very rough transcription). David Zayas played Det. Angel Batista on Dexter.

I guessing for his somewhat contradictory behavior...meaning it was less than angelic.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I remembered that case and her first name too. 

I read a book by Ann Rule about a 14 year old girl who also was manipulated into murdering her step mom.  I wonder if this is the same case?

• Love 4

I went to school with twins named Princess and Kitten. My daughters took swim lessons with a boy named Mister.

My friend had a student named Tru-Destiny. We were happy that her parents didn't call her Tru-Density à la George McFly.

I don't remember how the conversation started, but a cashier went on a rant about how much she hated the name Felicity while she was ringing up my groceries. I looked her square in the eye and told that my daughter is named Felicity. I didn't have kids yet.

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, louannems said:

I read a book by Ann Rule about a 14 year old girl who also was manipulated into murdering her step mom.  I wonder if this is the same case?

Yep, that was where I first heard of it. They did make a TV movie too.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I went to school with a girl who was one of 5 sisters.  All the girls had the initials TJM.  Totally limiting and I felt so sorry for them when it came time to order school jackets.  They got to have the initials on the front and nothing personal on the back, like band, or athletics because they expected to get 2 - 3 girls through 1 jacket.

If they had different initials, then they wouldn't have had initials on the jacket.  Of course my bestie and her younger sister wore gym clothes with big sis's name on them.  (It was confusing for the teachers!)

7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I delivered a little girl named Nemesis.  Her brother is Kal-El.  Mom and dad are comic book fans-duh!

Doesn't Nicolas Cage have a son  named Kal-el too? I wonder how many of them there are out there?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

What does "misnamed" mean? Was he Hispanic? That's a common name for men in Spanish speaking cultures. It's pronounced more like "on-HEL" (very rough transcription). David Zayas played Det. Angel Batista on Dexter.

That Angel was really a Devil?

It makes me think of the Buffy spin-off, Angel. 

I knew a boy whose fist and middle names were Gator Swamp.

I have never met a Felicity from real like - only the Keri Russell show and Felicity Huffman.

• Love 1