Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Social media is great for family/friend updates. I love to see what's going on. But not every day and not every minor detail. A trip to Costco is not that exciting. Neither is the pizza you ate for lunch.  Or the bug on your patio.  Or complaints about being a mother. 

It's a lot of self love, if you ask me. Or maybe people like to live in their head and act it out on social media? 

Because this is the Jinger thread, I will add:

Jeremy Vuolo + social media = self love

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Social media is great for family/friend updates. I love to see what's going on. But not every day and not every minor detail. A trip to Costco is not that exciting. Neither is the pizza you ate for lunch.  Or the bug on your patio.  Or complaints about being a mother. 

I'm afraid this shows clearly what barren deserts their lives actually are.  "God has great things in store for them," indeed.  We're still waiting.

They have very constrained views of what life has to offer, and because they somehow got famous while being one of the biggest bunches of do-nothing, think-nothing, self-imprisoned yawns on the planet, they imagine that their constrained lives are fascinating.

And, of course, some of them are fascinated with the look of their own faces and trendy shoes (looking at you, Jer)

• Love 12
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I am in love with this post.  I have a neighbor, early-40's, who posts drivel like this.  It's so laughable, and it smacks of a person who is trying very hard to create a persona that doesn't exist in real life.

My son moved into his college apartment this past weekend.  I didn't take any pictures.  When I was browsing FB later that day, what did I see?  Picture after picture after cutely posed picture of my friend's kids moving into their dorms/apartments.  For a fleeting moment, I thought - aw, I forgot to take pictures!  But then I realized that just because I didn't post anything, it still happened and I'm fine with that.  You're absolutely right, it's all about the "likes."  And when everyone steps off your lawn they'd better not step on mine, 'cause I'll be sitting on the porch with my garden hose set to "Blast."

Seriously, I'm in love with YOUR post!  Spot on.

• Love 4

Hubby and I went out to eat last evening, at a tiny restaurant. While being seated, we walked by 3 different diners taking selfies; a mom snapping a pic of her and her toddler, a teenager taking a solo selfie and a guy taking a photo of his meal.

We did not however, see anyone taking a photo of their dinner companion through a window.

• Love 15

The thing is though, I don't think 'selfie' culture is that different from other generations. We only notice them doing it, because there's more mediums to be noticed. My sister (now 44) had a Polaroid camera when she was younger as did a lot of her friends, and the only thing that limited the number of photos they took of themselves, each other and their possessions was the cost of film.

A couple of my aunts have boxes and albums filled with selfie style photos, taken with older cameras. 

And of course, way back in the day, people would pose for hours to have flattering portraits of themselves taken. 

We just see more of it now because everyone has a camera in their phone and it's easier to make yourself seen.

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, kalamac said:

The thing is though, I don't think 'selfie' culture is that different from other generations. We only notice them doing it, because there's more mediums to be noticed. My sister (now 44) had a Polaroid camera when she was younger as did a lot of her friends, and the only thing that limited the number of photos they took of themselves, each other and their possessions was the cost of film.

A couple of my aunts have boxes and albums filled with selfie style photos, taken with older cameras. 

And of course, way back in the day, people would pose for hours to have flattering portraits of themselves taken. 

We just see more of it now because everyone has a camera in their phone and it's easier to make yourself seen.

I was born in 1968, and in my experience we were not even close to being as self absorbed as this selfie generation. Sure, we took a few pictures and polaroids were fun, but not all the time. And I was never one to take pictures of myself. I took pictures of the beach, etc. on vacations, not myself on the beach. I know everyone has a different experience but this was mine. When I moved into the dorms in college, my parents didn't take pictures and I don't remember anyone else's doing so either.

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I was born in 1968, and in my experience we were not even close to being as self absorbed as this selfie generation. Sure, we took a few pictures and polaroids were fun, but not all the time. And I was never one to take pictures of myself. I took pictures of the beach, etc. on vacations, not myself on the beach. I know everyone has a different experience but this was mine. When I moved into the dorms in college, my parents didn't take pictures and I don't remember anyone else's doing so either.

I agree. I recently put together a photo slideshow for my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. I raided their old photo albums in hopes of getting some great photos of the two of them in their younger days. Imagine my disappointment when their albums labeled "Honeymoon" and "1st Anniversary Trip" featured mostly photos of scenery and very few photos of them. Once their kids were born they started appearing in more photos but only ever holding the kids. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Exactly.  The only way one could take selfies was to use a tripod and and set your timer on your camera to release the shutter...after you marked a spot using a person or other object to focus the camera.  

I find with my digital camera that I shoot pictures with impunity.  With my medium format camera, one roll of film gets me 12 shots. I'm much more careful with film. It's costly to print BW even when you have access to a darkroom

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ahh,thank you. I guess he didn't want the unwashed masses dirtying up his hallowed $anctuary. 

It's open now as a shelter.  Donations have been flooding since they opened.  Piled 10 feet high and wide around their doors.

Not defending him, but glad they opened so people nearby who didn't flood could get there and drop off / sort donations. There's hundreds of volunteers there.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ahh,thank you. I guess he didn't want the unwashed masses dirtying up his hallowed $anctuary. 

Fuck him gently with a chainsaw. 

edit: didn't see Arwen's post, only saw the very tail end of an interview with Osteen on the morning news, so I have no idea what he said. Auditorium was empty, though.

Glad he did the right thing.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I just don't get that preachers can live as millionaires and folks continue to donate money to the churches.  Then with Olsteen, not only does he not show up in a time of need, he lies about it.

Lets hope Jeremy does not aspire to be a mega-preacher.

Michelle needs to call an emergency dining room table lesson - can you all say huu-mill-i-tee?

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I just don't get that preachers can live as millionaires and folks continue to donate money to the churches.  Then with Olsteen, not only does he not show up in a time of need, he lies about it.

Lets hope Jeremy does not aspire to be a mega-preacher.

Michelle needs to call an emergency dining room table lesson - can you all say huu-mill-i-tee?

Oh please. Mee-Chelle? huu-mill-i-tee? I think Derick is taking notes  on "Pastor Olsteen." Apparently that is his idol.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It's open now as a shelter.  Donations have been flooding since they opened.  Piled 10 feet high and wide around their doors.

Not defending him, but glad they opened so people nearby who didn't flood could get there and drop off / sort donations. There's hundreds of volunteers there.

The thing is his father  opened his church  right away during Alison, I think, it was well organized  and  used as an example  of how a church  should act.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kalamac said:

My feeling that Jer-related photos aren't typical selfies (or wifies) doesn't stem from there being a lot of them but because of the frequent photos where he's posing amidst books to make himself look like an intellectual of some sort. 

Back when I said that I didn't find their photos to be typical of the millennials I know, it was this group of photos I was talking about, and this group only. These (and some other with related feeling, such as some of the ones with other big-time fundie "intellects" (tbh, I begun to question this whole notion of "fundie intellects," over the past year or so, but anyway ... ) and ones with that "mood of super-seriousness and carrying the world's spiritual weight upon my athletic shoulders" thing (like the one @GeeGolly just cited (Pensive Coffee Through Glass). 

Most of the millennials that I happen to know in social media (and see plenty of selfies from, at least when I periodically reactivate my Facebook, because, hell, they're millennials) are big readers, are educated, are thinkers, there are college professors....etc. .... And yet .... and yet .... their selfies and friend and family shots don't smack of those things at all  -- they're primarily spontaneous, silly stuff somebody's doing with friends or beer bottles or the baby or the dog, or a cool landscape or something weird on the street or whatever.... I'm pretty sure I've never even seen one that's apparently posed to portray some kind of intellectual or otherwise serious image of the person. 

Hence, due to what my family, friends and acquaintances post, the Jer posings look kinda pretentious and, frankly, a little desperate to me. And not typical of the millennial selfies I ordinarily see at all. 

As I said, maybe I just know a strange group of millennials and the rest frequently pose like Jer. I kind of doubt it, though. To me, he really doesn't seem typical in this. 

• Love 16

I do get the feeling that Jer is very particular to what they post. It seems like he wants artsy and as @Churchhoney says, intellectual tones to his posts.

I think I read a few years ago that Kim & Kanye took some time to release their wedding photo because Kanye was photoshopping it to death. I can imagine Jeremy doing that.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

The thing is his father  opened his church  right away during Alison, I think, it was well organized  and  used as an example  of how a church  should act.

His dad was a nice guy and still missed by many folks in Houston. When his son first took over the church, Lakewood was still on the east side and was a nice place to attend church and didn't seem as steeped in the prosperity gospel as they are now. He was at least a lot more humble and so was his wife.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

They usually don't except if masses come bearing money for him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

For that matter, Osteen is worth an estimated $50 million and lives in a $10 million house.  What has he personally done to help his fellow Houstonians?

He asked for more money of course.....cough......cough. For cough....flood relief.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm glad that he was finally shamed into opening the church.

Harvey has brought out the best of the American spirit in a lot of ways: the cajun navy, the furniture store guy, the first responders, the everyday people with boats helping to ferry their neighbors to safety, etc. As a plus, we get to see what a bunch of hot air and smoke big name "Christians" like Joel Olsteen are blowing. Sure, Jesus wants you to help people, Joel, as long as your carpets don't get wet . . .

• Love 14
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

For that matter, Osteen is worth an estimated $50 million and lives in a $10 million house.  What has he personally done to help his fellow Houstonians?

He was praying. What more do you expect? Not knocking the praying, but really, you can't multitask, Joel?

[Said with all the sarcasm I have, which is quite a lot. I loathe the prosperity preachers so very, very much.]

• Love 14

This would be a fantastic opportunity for Jinger and Jeremy to show they are good people/ truly wanting to serve people by aiding in the Harvey rescue/recovery by donating or volunteering

Come on guys, do something to prove you are going to use your celebrity for good

The Kardashians donated 500K . The Duggars are horrendous people if they don't do anything They have all the time in the world and the celebrity to organize some sort of clothing/supply drive or even donating  some money ( but we all know BOOB would never part with money, was too selfish and greedy)

I'll be interesting to see if the self proclaimed missionaries do anything , too. P

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 9

Does anyone else get really happy when they return to this thread a day later and find the last post is still on the same page? I mean, I figured if/when there’s a pregnancy announcement the thread will explode and I’ll come back to find five new pages of posts...

edit: The irony that my post started a new page… sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack. 

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 17
19 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Short story, they lied about it being flooded, and someone showed it wasn't on social media.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/29/547035773/after-pressure-mounts-joel-osteen-says-his-houston-megachurch-is-open-to-evacuee

Ok I kinda love the guy in the video!  Osteen is a piece of shit.  The only god he prays to is green, made of paper, and has some presidents head on it.

19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Fuck him gently with a chainsaw. 

edit: didn't see Arwen's post, only saw the very tail end of an interview with Osteen on the morning news, so I have no idea what he said. Auditorium was empty, though.

Glad he did the right thing.

After being shamed for lying and being an asshole.  As an atheist I must have missed the part of Sunday school that said God doesn't want pristine carpets messed.  

• Love 13

Yesterday on Twitter the "Nashville Statement" was trending. It's basically a long list of Christian rules that are to be followed and it's very homophobic, transphobic, and anti LGBT. On the list of signers was Jeremy's "buddy" John MacArthur, the guy he had dinner with along with his parents some days ago. I checked the website to see if Papa Vuolo was on the long list of signees but he was not. These people are absolutely disgusting. 

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Yesterday on Twitter the "Nashville Statement" was trending. It's basically a long list of Christian rules that are to be followed and it's very homophobic, transphobic, and anti LGBT. On the list of signers was Jeremy's "buddy" John MacArthur, the guy he had dinner with along with his parents some days ago. I checked the website to see if Papa Vuolo was on the long list of signees but he was not. These people are absolutely disgusting. 

I saw that.  With everything going on in Texas you'd think they'd have other priorities then releasing that (not that releasing it at any other time would be any better.

I think this was the best response; it's from James Martin a jesuit priest but pro-LGBTQ.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/08/30/seven-simple-ways-to-respond-to-the-nashville-statement-on-sexuality/?utm_term=.ca00614a8f10.  I re-tweeted his first point because I strongly agree and like how he phrased it............... but I also follow Jeremy on twitter so not sure if he'll see it or bother blocking me for that. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, RainbowBrite said:

He could star in his own horror movie.

Geez, his face is so unfortunate. I feel frightened like Jill did when she was being shot at, I mean when her shower curtain fell.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, ariel said:

I wish I knew who his surgeon was.  If I did, I'd stay far away from that doctor!

You should see his wife. She's Evangelical Barbie. 

She has a winning personality, too. 

• Love 13
17 hours ago, McManda said:

If Martin Short (circa Father of the Bride) and Andy Dick had a baby it would be Joel Osteen.

Good one!  I always refer to him as "Tim Allen's overly-Botoxed Brother".

• Love 13