Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, awaken said:

Yes, it seems as if it happens instantly. Let's see how long Austin lasts. 

I'm sure it's just because it's a cool thing to do, and they don't intend to actually eat any fresh produce!

Yes, I'm sure one can get cookies, jam, knickknacks, etc. in addition to food.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

OMG, Jana has discovered Birkenstocks. People can say what they like about those shoes, they hella comfortable and support your feet.

At the religious institution at which my husband works, Birks are known colloquially as "Jesus sandals." :)

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, LilJen said:

At the religious institution at which my husband works, Birks are known colloquially as "Jesus sandals." :)

That is too funny.  Mine are over 20 years old and my most comfortable shoes.  I am an old Jewish Grandma, haha.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That is too funny.  Mine are over 20 years old and my most comfortable shoes.  I am an old Jewish Grandma, haha.

My daughter and I have worn them since the 90's, and love them too.  I don't have any from that far back (wore them out) but I have bought a few pairs since then.

• Love 1

I might have to look into getting a pair. I'm a barefoot babe, but after 58 years of going around barefoot whenever possible (and since I've rarely worked outside the house, that means pretty much continually), I'm starting to sense that my feet are looking fora bit more support now and again.

• Love 2
On 8/19/2017 at 11:15 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

So tell me...how many sermons has Jeremy preached at his church since he married Jinger? I guess marrying a Duggar daughter causes the spouse to lose his work ethic?

I swear Duggarness is a virus. 

And a highly communicable one at that. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I might have to look into getting a pair. I'm a barefoot babe, but after 58 years of going around barefoot whenever possible (and since I've rarely worked outside the house, that means pretty much continually), I'm starting to sense that my feet are looking fora bit more support now and again.

Vionic flip flops are amazing. Kills me to pay $65 for flops, but my feet adore them. 

• Love 1
On 8/19/2017 at 6:16 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Is the Holy Goalie ever home to preach hate at his little church? They're in LA today; there have been a couple posts from Jinger as well. I just chose this one since it includes her. 

I can't tell if these pants are pink or red, but either way I love them paired with the gray v-neck.  I think she looks adorable, and I see no modesty tank under her shirt.  I even like her shoes.  Amazing what all of these girls might be capable of, living apart from their family.  Next I want to see Jinger post a picture of her brand-new library card and a big stack of books.  #FreeJinger indeed!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 10
On 8/20/2017 at 7:02 PM, ariel said:

His interests seem to be dressing Jinger up, trotting her around the town, taking pictures of her, & posting the pictures to show how "artsy" he is.   I haven't seen any tending to his flock.

My opinion 100%.

I find Jeremy to be so awful. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
On 8/6/2017 at 11:19 AM, Absolom said:

We also need to remember birth control is acceptable in Jeremy's "non-denominational" denomination.  It is much looser than Jim Bob's Gothard full force fundamentalism.

If Jinger is fine with delaying pregnancies, good for her and good for the Holy Goalie. I'm not his biggest fan, but he's made good decisions so far, IMHO: Told the families that they would not be visiting for six months so he and his wife could get on a good footing as a couple, bought a house, and (maybe) are looking for a pet so they can see how it goes with another being that depends on them for care before the babies arrive. Hopefully they are saving. I also think he is positioning himself to get on staff at a megachurch in a larger city; he'll be shaking the dust of Laredo off his shoes if and when he gets a job in Houston or Dallas. I hope Jinger is able to find something that interests her (photography, perhaps?) and take classes to enhance her skills as well.

Again, I think HG is controlling but in some respects, he's smart. Their marriage will survive because they actually are getting to know each other as people and they do not have KJB and J-Chelle breathing down their necks and "dropping in" to offer "godly wisdom".  I am guessing that KJB is already regretting allowing the marriage, especially if he discovers birth control is being used.

• Love 16
On 8/15/2017 at 9:27 AM, IntoTheMystic said:

The last shoes I bought were $140.00 hiking sandals so dropping less than a hundred on shoes that I know I'll have for YEARS is nothing.

I have very wide feet. In other words, I might as well wear the shoebox instead of the shoes. The only shoes that fit are either Munros (dress shoes, made in the USA, $170 per pair or so) and New Balance. The NB's are $140 per pair. I have two pairs of shoes. The Munros are 7 years old and I get two pairs of New Balance per year as they wear out.

I'm glad Jinger is getting clothes and shoes that are new to her. Why shouldn't she enjoy the money she makes?

• Love 16
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I can't tell if these pants are pink or red, but either way I love them paired with the gray v-neck.  I think she looks adorable, and I see no modesty tank under her shirt.  I even like her shoes.  Amazing what all of these girls might be capable of, living apart from their family.  Next I want to see Jinger post a picture of her brand-new library card and a big stack of books.  #FreeJinger indeed!

I think she's turned into, or maybe always was, a bona fide preacher's wife in the making. Being fashionable isn't a requirement of a pastor's wife, of course, but being put together seems to be one of those unwritten rules and probably doesn't hurt. She alone seems to understand her role as the wife of a public figure (although she was always one herself). We know Jessa is uncomfortable with strangers and Jill is...well, Jill. I really liked how Jinger just rolled with everything in their honeymoon episode. Interacted with the locals, accepted people as they were, didn't wear her self-righteousness on her sleeve, even cracked a joke or two. Had there not been a camera crew in tow, no one would have ever known she's a part of this band of ignorant, classless rubes.

I like Jinger so very much....but I have to remember that deep down, she is probably as ignorant and bigoted as Derick. The difference is that she seems able to open her mind to new ideas, and to realize that there are many, many ways to live life. She has real potential.

Or maybe I'm just projecting and she just knows she needs to put a lid on it for the sake of the cameras. I sincerely hope not.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

I Why shouldn't she enjoy the money she makes?

"Money for nothing, chicks for free".  Ok no chicks are involved that we know of,  although  it might make things more interesting if there were.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

I wonder what it is like for Jinger to be in a famous church with a famous preacher after years of The Church of Dim Bulb"

I don't have a problem with home churches; I have participated in them.  BUT, I have been to many different churches of all denominations, read various books etc.  Jinger spent how many years listening to Jim Bob prattle on with minimal to no exposure of anything else????   It must be such a shock  to hear other ideas, perspectives and opinions. 

• Love 4

I think Jeremy has done a fine job molding her into the perfect Pastor's wife and Jinger liked it so went along with it. She has always had a unique but horrible style. There is a picture of them early in their marriage in front of some stairs, she with her her big curly hair, leopard print maxi skirt, and beige blazer, pretty boy Jeremy was having none of that. 

Everytime Jinger posts pictures of them going new places and doing fun stuff I can't help but imagine Jessa seething with jealousy. 

• Love 16

I have to wonder if the reason Jinger is 'so open to other ideas' is because her headship allows them into their world. I doubt she would be wo accepting of various points of view without husband/father approval. Jinger really doesn't know her own mind yet because she hasn't been allowed to HAVE her own mind. Perhaps she never will. I don't know Jeremy well enough yet.

Jinger really looks like a kid in most pictures. She needs to give up the middle school 'look' and dress appropriately FOR A 23 YEAR OLD MARRIED WOMAN. There's a difference in style between the two, I think. Jeremy and Jinger look about 20 years apart.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I have to wonder if the reason Jinger is 'so open to other ideas' is because her headship allows them into their world. I doubt she would be wo accepting of various points of view without husband/father approval. Jinger really doesn't know her own mind yet because she hasn't been allowed to HAVE her own mind. Perhaps she never will. I don't know Jeremy well enough yet.

Jinger really looks like a kid in most pictures. She needs to give up the middle school 'look' and dress appropriately FOR A 23 YEAR OLD MARRIED WOMAN. There's a difference in style between the two, I think. Jeremy and Jinger look about 20 years apart.

She really does look like she could be his daughter, or little sister.  Cute, but kiddish.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, awaken said:

Oh wow- sitting in on an expository preaching session!  I'm adding that to my bucket list.

To an atheist like me, this sounds like the funnest thing ever!! 

These Duggar threads always make me think "thank god I'm an atheist". 

• Love 24

Jinger is very petite with a young face. That was me years ago. My husband is ten years older than me and we got a LOT of curious glances. Unfortunately my looks are catching up with my age. Anyway, except for losing the ponytails, I think Jinger is going to look young no matter what she wears - for a while anyway.

• Love 17
37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jinger is very petite with a young face. That was me years ago. My husband is ten years older than me and we got a LOT of curious glances. Unfortunately my looks are catching up with my age. Anyway, except for losing the ponytails, I think Jinger is going to look young no matter what she wears - for a while anyway.

My daughter is the same. She's 33 but looks like she's 15.  She and my son in law always got dirty looks when she was pregnant. In their family pictures they look like a dad with a teenager and two younger kids. She's walked into 21 and older places and without even asking her for her ID, they tell her no way, get out because they don't believe there's any way on hell she's 21.  She's only 33 now and still hates looking so young but I tell her that one day she will love it and as you say, one day it will all catch up.  Her voice on the phone sounds very young too, when she calls my granddaughter's school, unless she speaks to someone who knows her,  they never believe that she's the mother of a student. 

I agree with you that Jinger will look young no matter what she does. My kid has tried all different kinds of hair styles and make up and nothing works. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

My daughter is the same. She's 33 but looks like she's 15.  She and my son in law always got dirty looks when she was pregnant. In their family pictures they look like a dad with a teenager and two younger kids. She's walked into 21 and older places and without even asking her for her ID, they tell her no way, get out because they don't believe there's any way on hell she's 21.  She's only 33 now and still hates looking so young but I tell her that one day she will love it and as you say, one day it will all catch up.  Her voice on the phone sounds very young too, when she calls my granddaughter's school, unless she speaks to someone who knows her,  they never believe that she's the mother of a student. 

I agree with you that Jinger will look young no matter what she does. My kid has tried all different kinds of hair styles and make up and nothing works. 

That was me also. It didn't help that I'm only 5 feet tall. Age finally caught up to me in my early 40s, but not long before that I was mistaken for a college student, the babysitter, and my husband's daughter - and he is 3 years younger than me. In my 20s, when I was teaching jr high, I kept getting mistaken for a student.  I sound young on the phone too which helped get rid of telemarketers. Your daughter should definitely enjoy it while she can!  

I agree that Jinger will look young no matter what she does, but I wouldn't mind seeing her trim her hair or have it cut into a cute, more modern style to go with her new and improved wardrobe!

• Love 7
On 8/20/2017 at 10:09 AM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Not to over analyze her outfit, buuuuut

With the bright pants, she is wearing a v neck shirt. I am a modest dresser, so I recognize this move: she has the shirt pulled up and back so the v isn't as low. It begs the questions: did she pull it back just for the picture? I don't see a cami, did she not wear a cami underneath? I'm not judging, just curious! And really happy for her!

I try to dress modestly, too,  so I do the same thing with V-necked shirts, but they tend to settle back to lower in the front shortly after I adjust them. She probably did pull it back for the picture, but she probably pulled it back every time she thought to do so.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

I cut her a bit of slack because she didn't get to dress as a middle-school-er  when she was actually in middle school.  She's in a whole new world now.  Beyond that, she is dressed much more appropriately than is any other female in her family.  She's at least in the correct century of clothing  (as in she doesn't look like a forty-year-old  fundie polygamist's wife) even if what she's wearing might possibly be more fitting for someone a few years younger.

• Love 18
On 8/15/2017 at 2:48 PM, Lunera said:

I want the Duggars to play a piece for the Vuolos. Don't know much about music except that they sound terrible. 

I don't know a whole lot, either, but a person doesn't have to know a great deal about music to know when a soloist or group sounds especially bad, and I'm with you, Lunera: they sound terrible.

My husband has an undergrad degree in piano performance (along with his biology degree for pre-med) and he plays violin and cello and sings as well. I had him watch and listen to this clip and give me a more educated opinion. He said the violinist (at the beginning of "America, the Beautiful") on the far right was getting about as gratingly poor a sound from her violin as a violinist can typically  get while still basically playing the correct notes. She might just as well have been rubbing two balloons together for most of the solo introduction to the song, although the A she ended the intro on wasn't so bad. Then, when they all joined in, it only went downhill. The arrangement they were using was ugly and they weren't together at all on their background quarter notes. It would have been less bad had they played a simple 4-part hymn-like arrangement of the song -- which can be done even with only violins or with just violins and violas -- as opposed to the mess of quarter note chords against the melody. They were very pitchy except when they were outrightly out-of-tune. They would be better suited to playing instruments that are either pre-tuned (like a piano) or  can be tuned mechanically with tuning devices that tell a person with a lousy sense of pitch when an instrument is in tune (harp is the perfect example, but even a flute is not too bad if correctly tuned prior), at the beginning of a performance that will then be in tune, and the instrumentalist ,merely has to press the correct key. The instruments in  the violin family depend too much on the player having a good sense of pitch in addition to being proficient enough on the instruments to have acquired the motor memory to consistently find the right place on the string/neck for the correct pitch with the fingers of the left hand.

The singing, in my husband's opinion, was worse than the violin playing. The howlers., he said (he didn't call them "howlers,"  though; he just said "little boys," but when I referred to them as "howlers," he agreed that what they were doing was more correctly characterized as "howling" than as "singing") have voices that are especially hard on the ears of the listeners. He said that there might conceivably be a  modestly good voice in the group somewhere, but if so, he couldn't hear it. He said that, as far as the voices that could actually be heard,  these are people who should  sing only for their own pleasure and never for a performance to a captive audience.

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 11
On 8/20/2017 at 2:52 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think Josie looks a lot like Jinger, especially in the picture of Jinger wearing the blue and white floral dress.

I've heard this before, so there must be something to it, but I cannot see the resemblance to which others refer. Josie looks to me like one of my nieces when she was younger and like the child of one of my former co-workers. The other two children of whom I write (who are unrelated) were both, like Josie, micro-preemies, and, to me, they had what my dad, who is an OBGYN specializing in high-risk pregnancies,  calls "the micro-preemie look."  Pale blond children seem to hold onto the look especially long.  With the "micro-preemie look,"  the children appear, for lack of a better description, still vaguely embryonic without especially well-defined features. They're often tiny and appear very thin and fragile.  The almost transparent skin and the hair that sort of blends into the skin only add to the overall under-developed appearance. The good news is that it is eventually outgrown.  And, of course, they're all precious in their own ways.

Enough people have commented here and elsewhere on the Josie/Jinger appearance that there has to be something in common; maybe it's the shape of the face. Bone structure is accentuated by thinness. Jinger and Josie are presumably the two thinnest people in the family right now. Any resemblance in facial structure would be highlighted by their thinness and would be all the more noticeable.

Edited by jilliannatalia
10 hours ago, EVS said:

That was me also. It didn't help that I'm only 5 feet tall. Age finally caught up to me in my early 40s, but not long before that I was mistaken for a college student, the babysitter, and my husband's daughter - and he is 3 years younger than me. In my 20s, when I was teaching jr high, I kept getting mistaken for a student.  I sound young on the phone too which helped get rid of telemarketers. Your daughter should definitely enjoy it while she can!  

I agree that Jinger will look young no matter what she does, but I wouldn't mind seeing her trim her hair or have it cut into a cute, more modern style to go with her new and improved wardrobe!

I looked fairly young into my early 40's as well, but not young enough to be mistaken for a teen. I was at physical therapy with my mom a couple of weeks ago, and we were chatting with the therapist, who looked to be in her early 20's, but then she mentioned her 33 year old daughter and her grandchildren. Not sure how old she was exactly, but even knowing that she had to be in her late 40's at a minimum it was hard to see anything much over 30 in her face. 

• Love 1

Josie and Jinger (along with one or two of the boys who's names I can't be bothered to remember) are the ones who most resemble Michelle. And while Michelle is/was an attractive women, her features on such thin faces make for some...weirdness. 

3 minutes ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Was mi amor wearing an invisibility cloak? Lol I imagine Jinger was the one taking the picture, but it's kinda funny to see him sit by himself with this caption :P

LOL, you know she got up and went outside and directed Babe to take a sip of coffee for this photo.  Or, more likely, Babe directed it himself.

• Love 13

I like the picture of Jeremy.  I don't think think it's fair to take credit away from Jinger for the photograph.  Isn't she the one that likes photography?  

I think one of the reasons Jinger looks so young is her hairstyle.  If she got it cut she would look awesome.  Her clothes really suit her.  IMO, of course.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Jellybeans said:

I like the picture of Jeremy.  I don't think think it's fair to take credit away from Jinger for the photograph.  Isn't she the one that likes photography?  

I think one of the reasons Jinger looks so young is her hairstyle.  If she got it cut she would look awesome.  Her clothes really suit her.  IMO, of course.

TBH I'm a little confused about people saying she's dressing like a middle schooler. I'm a 40 year old woman, and with the exception of skinny jeans (I have regular jeans), that's pretty much what I wear when I'm not at work or in my jammies. Only my shoes are Chucks.

• Love 21
38 minutes ago, kalamac said:

TBH I'm a little confused about people saying she's dressing like a middle schooler. I'm a 40 year old woman, and with the exception of skinny jeans (I have regular jeans), that's pretty much what I wear when I'm not at work or in my jammies. Only my shoes are Chucks.

@kalamac, I'm way older than you, and I wear that same kind of outfit nearly every day, but with skinny jeans. I don't see the problem, either.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, SMama said:

Not only wear it when old and feeble, but while being rolled around on an office chair. 

Blanket trained to sit in it!

Well, middle school was fun. Now maybe Jing will morph in to a pretentious 17 yer old.

"Jinger, what's you favorite bible verse?"

"You wouldn't have heard of it."

• Love 8
2 hours ago, kalamac said:

It's more than the clothes.  It's the whole look IMO, with the ponytail, and the un-styled long hair.  Even bangs might make the look more sophisticated.

I've liked some of her clothing choices, and I'm over 60.  For example, on the last episode of Counting On (the tell-nothing) I thought she looked very nice and age appropriate.  For some reason, I think Jeremy prefers her to look like a teenager.  If she's OK with that, fine.  

What I do like is the F U to Boob and Ma Kettle.  None of the other married women have dared to wear clothes outside the box of fundyism.  Dress code be damned!  Good for Jin to be that much freer than she was.

• Love 2