Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I didn't see much to be impressed by with the video in terms of dressing left or right.  The backside view was better.  Jeremy looks better in motion than in still photos.  When you study his face it is meh,  but when he moves, etc,  he has a natural grace and athleticism to his movements and you don't notice the asymmetry of his face as much.

In general he is a decent looking, guy.  Jinger is pretty and they make a handsome couple.  Hoping he is less controlling than he appears and that he is letting Jinger do her thing rather than be continually subservient to him.  I sometimes get the feeling that he sees Jinger as a project.  Develop her fashion sense, her confidence, and enhance her maturation, as long as it fits with his image of the up and coming Pastor and his photogenic, famous wife.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Totally said:

After watching that Baptism video all I have to offer is that Jer loves the sound of his own voice 

And it seems like very few people like the sound of his voice at his little church the few times he actually shows up there to preach. He has Jinger's TLC money.  No need to actually work.

• Love 3

I was surprised they weren't wearing white. I guess if you're going to get soaked no use in wearing an all white outfit, or maybe they just don't like the fact heathen Catholics wear white to be baptized. 

Also why go backwards rather than forwards into the water?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, dreamingtree said:

I didn't see much to be impressed by with the video in terms of dressing left or right.  The backside view was better. 

I didn't even notice his backside (that doesn't impress me), but now I have to go watch it again to see what was impressive about his rear ;-)

PS why do people go on reality shows when they KNOW there are snarkers like us?!

Edited by ChiCricket
'Cuz
  • Love 5

Jeremy is smarter and more sophisticated that JB, but still not as smart as he thinks himself to be.  His take on scripture and theology is unoriginal and wrong.  For all the studying and reading he does, he apparently lacks comprehension and the ability to actually process and consider what he has read.  I think he regurgitates what he reads instead of considering it, understanding it or questioning it. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I was surprised they weren't wearing white. I guess if you're going to get soaked no use in wearing an all white outfit, or maybe they just don't like the fact heathen Catholics wear white to be baptized. 

Also why go backwards rather than forwards into the water?

I'm guessing because unlike Catholics who just get sprinkled, they get DUNKED. Anyone who wears white to a beach knows it becomes transparent once it's wet. (NIKE)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ChiCricket said:

I didn't even notice his backside (that doesn't impress me), but now I have to go watch it again to what was impressive about his rear ;-)

PS why do people go on reality shows when they KNOW there are snarkers like us?!

It is fine, but nothing special,   but the front view wasn't either.  Not dissing his manhood, just that in the video, I didn't see much other than a nicely dressed man.  His outfit was not appropriate for the situation since he got his dress pants wet as well as his silk tie.  Ties don't do well when they get water on them. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

Jeremy is smarter and more sophisticated that JB, but still not as smart as he thinks himself to be.  His take on scripture and theology is unoriginal and wrong.  For all the studying and reading he does, he apparently lacks comprehension and the ability to actually process and consider what he has read.  I think he regurgitates what he reads instead of considering it, understanding it or questioning it. 

I'd be surprised if anybody who was actually very smart ever leaped to be JB's and M's kid-in-law, wouldn't you? 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I'd be surprised if anybody who was actually very smart ever leaped to be JB's and M's kid-in-law, wouldn't you? 

Haven't we all known men who are intellectually very smart..until they start thinking with their smaller head? Sorry to the few guys on here, but you know it's generally true.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

well, it is a decent strategy if you want some quick fame.  I think Jeremy sees himself as a future mover and shaker in the religious world.  Jinger is a pretty and malleable young woman who happens to come from a well off and well known family.  He gets a beautiful and subservient wife, who comes with cash, and instant fame.  I think he really does care for her and they seem to have good chemistry so I guess that worked out.  But I totally think that when Jeremy had his first intro to the family,  he was thinking strategically.  Even if he met Jinger first and was attracted to her, which is possible as she is an attractive woman,  he had to have some strategic thought as to how marrying into this family would help him achieve his vision

I suspect that Jeremy came to snark sites to read up on the criticisms of the family, and he probably found Free Jinger and saw there was a strong interest in seeing Jinger paired with someone who could be her advocate, her knight in shining armor, freeing her from the restrictive and legalistic lifestyle.  But he also could see the Jinger was malleable or to use his words, Meek.  I mean, it was a great situation for him.  He ends up really liking/loving her.  She clearly is enamored of him.   So he has this instant fame, and he can look as if he really is 'freeing" Jinger, a long time fan favorite.  They start out carving out a niche of their branch of fundamentalism that puts the "fun" in fundamental.  They travel, she wears shorts, and pants, he introduces her to art and other culture.  He promotes Grace Church, etc.   

As long as he is able to let Jinger grow and doesn't get threatened if she starts to form her own opinions etc,  they may end up the power couple of the Duggar Fam.  They seem happy, and aside from his anti Catholic rants and of course his anti LGBQT stance, they manage Social media very well.  Hopefully he will be come less extreme in his fundie views re: social issues and more openhearted and accepting.  If he does, and he helps Jinger do the same, they may even become likeable.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

I didn't see much to be impressed by with the video in terms of dressing left or right.  The backside view was better.  Jeremy looks better in motion than in still photos.  When you study his face it is meh,  but when he moves, etc,  he has a natural grace and athleticism to his movements and you don't notice the asymmetry of his face as much.

In general he is a decent looking, guy.  Jinger is pretty and they make a handsome couple.  Hoping he is less controlling than he appears and that he is letting Jinger do her thing rather than be continually subservient to him.  I sometimes get the feeling that he sees Jinger as a project.  Develop her fashion sense, her confidence, and enhance her maturation, as long as it fits with his image of the up and coming Pastor and his photogenic, famous wife.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but why do their looks even matter in the long run?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but why do their looks even matter in the long run?

The looks don't matter to me.  But these people rely on being in the public eye.  Right now, I think they are the darlings of the married Duggars.  Jeremy is ambitious.  Like it or not,  their looks matter in that regard.

Jeremy needs to work on his preaching and sermons.  He is very wordy and goes on way to long.  He needs to learn economy of words.  His church isn't going to grow until he gets more interesting and less droning.  I am sure they have some who show up out of curiosity to see Jinger, but I bet most don't stick around because he gets dull.  He has potential.  When he is more spontaneous he is better.  Hopefully his main church will mentor him and be direct regarding his shortcomings with the Church service and sermons, and give him constructive criticism so he can improve. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

well, it is a decent strategy if you want some quick fame.  I think Jeremy sees himself as a future mover and shaker in the religious world.  Jinger is a pretty and malleable young woman who happens to come from a well off and well known family.  He gets a beautiful and subservient wife, who comes with cash, and instant fame.  I think he really does care for her and they seem to have good chemistry so I guess that worked out.  But I totally think that when Jeremy had his first intro to the family,  he was thinking strategically.  Even if he met Jinger first and was attracted to her, which is possible as she is an attractive woman,  he had to have some strategic thought as to how marrying into this family would help him achieve his vision

I suspect that Jeremy came to snark sites to read up on the criticisms of the family, and he probably found Free Jinger and saw there was a strong interest in seeing Jinger paired with someone who could be her advocate, her knight in shining armor, freeing her from the restrictive and legalistic lifestyle.  But he also could see the Jinger was malleable or to use his words, Meek.  I mean, it was a great situation for him.  He ends up really liking/loving her.  She clearly is enamored of him.   So he has this instant fame, and he can look as if he really is 'freeing" Jinger, a long time fan favorite.  They start out carving out a niche of their branch of fundamentalism that puts the "fun" in fundamental.  They travel, she wears shorts, and pants, he introduces her to art and other culture.  He promotes Grace Church, etc.   

As long as he is able to let Jinger grow and doesn't get threatened if she starts to form her own opinions etc,  they may end up the power couple of the Duggar Fam.  They seem happy, and aside from his anti Catholic rants and of course his anti LGBQT stance, they manage Social media very well.  Hopefully he will be come less extreme in his fundie views re: social issues and more openhearted and accepting.  If he does, and he helps Jinger do the same, they may even become likeable.

Oh, he absolutely made a strategic decision. I agree with you there. I think Der, Bin and Jer all did (although I do think they were all pretty attracted to their wives as well -- I don't think any of them was wholly cynical, just partly so). And Jer is certainly the smartest (which doesn't say much, though ... ) and most ambitious of the three. Don't know about Austin yet, but the other three definitely saw Duggardom as a potential leg up in the missionary/ministry worlds. 

I wouldn't bet on any of them for success, however, including Jer. Which means to me that they'll all just spend their lives stuck in JB's and M's family! (which I'd call a fate that just might be worse than death -- although that's just me.) 

I think Jer is envisioning exactly what you lay out. But my bet is that, when it comes right down to it, he won't have the energy, the savvy (either for creating a big grift church or for creating a big legit church), or the charisma to actually pull it off in the contemporary world, where every sign points to its being harder than ever to get a big church or even virtual ministry off the ground. 

He's almost 30 already, and his churchtalk (as far as I've heard) is boring, poorly delivered, pretentious-feeling, not insightful or interesting or inspiring, not new, not dripping with stuff that people want to hear, and also snoozeworthy to the max. That says to me that he has no talent for the talking (or, in fact, for the thinking and strategizing) part.  And when you're already in your late 20s, it's getting pretty late to start developing those particular talents from apparent scratch, as far as I know.

And while Jingle is cute, I don't see her having the kind of personality that would make her into one of those megachurch wives who helps drive the success, and which many of the successful pastors have had. So aside from her pre-existing fame and general modest likability, Jer's on his own to push the thing. 

11 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

The looks don't matter to me.  But these people rely on being in the public eye.  Right now, I think they are the darlings of the married Duggars.  Jeremy is ambitious.  Like it or not,  their looks matter in that regard.

Jeremy needs to work on his preaching and sermons.  He is very wordy and goes on way to long.  He needs to learn economy of words.  His church isn't going to grow until he gets more interesting and less droning.  I am sure they have some who show up out of curiosity to see Jinger, but I bet most don't stick around because he gets dull.  He has potential.  When he is more spontaneous he is better.  Hopefully his main church will mentor him and be direct regarding his shortcomings with the Church service and sermons, and give him constructive criticism so he can improve. 

As far as his being mentored, as far as I can tell he's so far completely blown off all the advice that the guy he calls "mentor" gives. I've heard that guy's online talks about exactly what it takes to successfully plant a church, and Jer so far has pretty much done the opposite. I don't think he's a listener. It's that that really drives my impression of him as arrogant -- and also doomed to mediocrity. lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

I agree Church Honey. 

Jeremy thinks higher of himself than is deserved.  He is not that great at the whole preaching thing.  Jinger may surprise us though.  From what we can tell, she has really adjusted pretty well to her new life and situation.  She is young enough, both chronologically and emotionally that she might be at the perfect 'season' of her life to really absorb and grow.  She has a long way to go, but she might eventually become a bolder, more confident version of herself. 

Jeremy needs a couple of failures to help him grow.  Maybe his local church will fail, and he will have to go to the bigger church and work under someone and take direction for awhile.  I think he can learn,  he just has to see the need.  And, he does seem to be at least willing to work. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

I agree Church Honey. 

Jeremy thinks higher of himself than is deserved.  He is not that great at the whole preaching thing.  Jinger may surprise us though.  From what we can tell, she has really adjusted pretty well to her new life and situation.  She is young enough, both chronologically and emotionally that she might be at the perfect 'season' of her life to really absorb and grow.  She has a long way to go, but she might eventually become a bolder, more confident version of herself. 

Jeremy needs a couple of failures to help him grow.  Maybe his local church will fail, and he will have to go to the bigger church and work under someone and take direction for awhile.  I think he can learn,  he just has to see the need.  And, he does seem to be at least willing to work. 

Yep, it'll be interesting to see what develops. He certainly isn't going to lose his ambition easily. And ambition can be a big motivator. ... 

I'm very skeptical about Jingle changing much, I must say. Having come from a similarly crippling situation, I envision her with a lot of squelching voices in her head that are very unlikely to ever go away! I'd love to see her become more confident, but since I really haven't -- decades and decades on, and having started way bolder than she ever seems to have been -- I'll be shocked if it can happen to her. 

When I look at his church's situation so far, it seems as if something is ripe to happen that will force some change in Jeremy's plan. He has big ambitions, and he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere there or seem to be very interested in it. I would think he's mulling some switch or other, but who knows? It also seems that, financially, they're fine with the church he's got as long as the show goes on. And since I've now given up hope that the show will ever go off the air, I don't think that situation will change any time soon! 

• Love 5

just wanted to say I just started over here at P.TV.  I have been on FJ for years, but tire of the thread drift.  Someone recommended this site as an alternative.  So far so good.  Seems like a good place and I think I recognize some user names from FJ here.  Love FJ, don't get me wrong, but fun to find a new place to poke around in as well.

• Love 11

Welcome! I used to post at FJ a ton on Yuku, but still get over there a fee times a week. You would probably recognize my username. Thread drift annoys me as well; I end up skipping over most of it. 

We better get back on topic here; the mods will allow some drift but get us back on track if we're posting in the wrong thread, etc. ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
No comma
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dreamingtree said:

I think it is unfortunate that J&J bought a house in Laredo.  I could actually see them moving to LA and being closer to the main church there.  

How could they possibly afford to move to LA? 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jeremy baptized some people are few days ago. You can seeJinger filming the closeups to the far right wearing a gray blazer and black jeans. No belly in sight...

So pastor Jeremy decides to show up at his church and knock out a few baptisms this week, huh?

I really don't enjoy his halting tone of voice. 

Love the baptismal trough, though!  

20 hours ago, McManda said:

I'm not particularly religious and have never attended an adult baptism (and have only seen photos of infant baptisms), but are they always such... wet affairs? I'm pretty sure they don't douse an infant in water, so I just assumed an adult baptism was similar.

I didn't realize the baptizee went swimming and the baptisor needed waders. 

Yep!  At my church growing up one waded down into an actual pool with the pastor, up above the choir loft, waist deep. I've seen many baptisms done completely immersed in swimming pools, lakes, and rivers (such as the original one).  

14 hours ago, Catfin said:

Things seem a bit free and loose in his trou. Commando, perhaps? 

Ol' jinge had to be lovin' it!

• Love 3

I spent a good hunk of today watching a Little Couple marathon on TLC and I kept seeing a promo for the new Counting On season. One shot is Jinger's face when Spurge screeches at a restaurant or some place. Her face pretty much said oh hell no. I think she's more than okay with not having kids anytime soon.

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Has Jeremy said he wants a bigger Church?  

That's a good question.  A bigger church  could mean a bigger salary & more social media.   The downside for Jeremy is that he would have to show up & do some work.   His time trotting Jinger around & taking pictures of her might be cut down too if he has to show up for work & tend to his flock.

• Love 2

No, I don't believe Jeremy has said he wants a bigger church.  I feel like he may have said something about enjoying his work with the impoverished of Laredo.  Maybe he really does want to serve the poor? 

I freely admit to assuming he wants a bigger church because he seems to be ambitious.  But who really knows?

• Love 3

I have listened to quite a few of Jeremy's sermons (I listen as I write endless reports for work and I like religious stuff).

He is so wordy and does not get to the point quickly.  He goes around and around and around endlessly. 

Isn't there a class for that?  Oh right, i forgot, he majored in soccer and business. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dreamingtree said:

No, I don't believe Jeremy has said he wants a bigger church.  I feel like he may have said something about enjoying his work with the impoverished of Laredo.  Maybe he really does want to serve the poor? 

From Jeremy's social media posts, I haven't seen him doing any work with the impoverished of Laredo or serving the poor. 

• Love 5

Hopefully he will be come less extreme in his fundie views re: social issues and more openhearted and accepting.  If he does, and he helps Jinger do the same, they may even become likeable.

I don't see it happening, to be honest. I wish it would, but Jeremy's already through his 20s and was already out in the world. Evangelicalism seems like it's based too much of its identity around the idea of gender complementariasm. I think there's some room to maneuver within that for women's legal/financial independence--and it seems like Jeremy's family is maneuvering within that--but LGBT identities strike right at the heart of complementariasm. I'm not even Christian, though, so maybe there's room for evangelicalism to have an identity without complementariasm. Other branches of Christianity don't need that.

What will happen with Jinger's beliefs is hard to say because she's already clearly changing from the views with which she was brought up. The question is how much is her thoughtlessly transferring her spiritual headship to Jeremy versus how much is her actually starting to feel okay questioning and thinking for herself. 

• Love 5

Just watched JinJer's half assed congrats video for Joy and Austin. Jer seems -- and looks -- like he's thinking so another one of your siblings is having a baby, so what?? Jinger OTOH I bet is more conflicted. On one hand I do think she's glad it's not her. She has said she's scared of birth and not looking forward to it. She appears to be enjoying coffee dates with her man and going to NYC, Philly, LA -- even if just for family/friend/fundie church purposes. I bet she's liking owning her own house with a mortgage holder that isn't daddy -- so he doesn't own her and her husband. She looks very comfortable wearing pants and other appropriate clothing. And how can she not be liking having someone around who believes and tells her -- you ARE smart, don't under estimate yourself. I mean where else has she ever heard that in life?? Yet she grew up being told that a female's ONLY job is to marry and produce as many babies as possible. First part of that -- marriage -- check. 2nd part -- kids -- um no dice. I don't think they have been trying (or maybe they are now but I don't think they did for a while after the wedding). So I have to imagine some small part of her is thinking -- OMG he's charming me but he doesn't want babies with me, why else would he want to wait/pull out/NPF/condoms (probably not condoms though since he's fundie but I can see him pulling and praying or NFP) -- there MUST be something wrong with me. I'm not fulfilling my wifely duty to him. Why is he/would he be ok way that - what if he leaves me. These girls have been raised with nearly 0 real friends and 0 self confidence and have only been in/seen relationships where the courting couple just flatters each other but never has deep or hard conversations bc obviously God leads them to agreement on everything. So they've never seen that you can differ in opinions/not want the same things at the same time and it doesn't mean that anything is wrong. In some part of her brain she's got to be thinking -- glad I don't have to scream through childbirth in the bedroom with no doctors or pain relief, good luck to my sisters on that -- but why oh why do my sisters husbands want babies with them and mine doesn't with me!?

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, cereality said:

probably not condoms though since he's fundie

Jeremy isn't fundie though.  He's rather standard conservative evangelical.  To many people, that seems to be fundie, but it really isn't.  His church has nothing against a little drinking, dancing, or birth control.  Nor do they hang onto the KJV, young earth creation, etc. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Has Jeremy said he wants a bigger Church?  

They've spoken somewhat vaguely of some major "ministry" that he aspires to and is preparing for. ....

By my reckoning, that church would seem not to be it, given the number of activities at the church that's he's skipped and the fact that he superintends a church website that, last time I looked -- after he'd been there for at least a year, said absolutely nothing about people at that church, either other staff (who must exist because they have at least three activities every week and he's missed a ton of them) or any congregants. It talks only of Jeremy and how he was raised by the most godly people he's ever met. That, to me, doesn't scream -- I really love this church and want to stay here! Because if you loved it, wouldn't you feel something toward its staff and congregation? Wouldn't you  mention them on their website? 

On the other hand, they bought a house in Laredo. So he must be figuring he's staying there for a while. 

So -- jury's out, really.

Personally, though I read Jer (body language, history, photo history, stuff he's said, way he reacted to the end of his sports career, strategic marriage into Duggar clan, etc....) as being pretty ambitious, though. So, to me, it seems likely that he either wants that church to get a bigger or he wants to go to a bigger church at some point. I think that a church that size would be for someone who cherishes cozy pastoring of people he knows and cares about, not somebody ambitious. And I don't see any signs in Jer of caring for cozy pastoring of a small friendly flock. But obviously I could be dead wrong! 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Hey pervy ladies...MADE YOU LOOK....

Pastor Volvo is happy to oblige to be eye candy since you listened to his  baptistmal blah blah blah while searching for his ween...

The Lord works in mysterious ways......

There's such a thing as the mute button...

• Love 9
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Hey pervy ladies...MADE YOU LOOK....

Pastor Volvo is happy to oblige to be eye candy since you listened to his  baptistmal blah blah blah while searching for his ween...

The Lord works in mysterious ways......

Aaannnd I read that as Pastor Vulva.

I'm gonna go to the prayer closet now.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Jeremy isn't fundie though.  He's rather standard conservative evangelical.  To many people, that seems to be fundie, but it really isn't.  His church has nothing against a little drinking, dancing, or birth control.  Nor do they hang onto the KJV, young earth creation, etc. 

Exactly. He's a decent looking guy who played semi-pro sports. He's probably had partners that weren't exactly, uh, long term relationships.  He's not afraid of condoms. 

Edited by Catfin
Typo
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

Exactly. He's a decent looking guy who played semi-pro sports. He's probably had partners that weren't exactly, uh, long term relationships.  He's not afraid of condoms. 

I'm sure Jeremy is fine with condoms, if I have to gather that's what theyre using for contraceptives- I don't see Jinger being okay with a hormonal method. I know many men wax and moan about how much they "hate them" but for most men who don't have a couple of kids running around by more than one woman they've used them when they have had to. 

I also dont think Jeremy is fundy at all- he's an evangelical conservative Christian with a desire for fame, who sowed his wild oats and afterwards wanted to marry a virgin. I do think he genuinely liked Jinger when they met, and I certainly now believe he loves her, but he was looking for a certain type of woman and she fit the bill. Nothing wrong with that, SHE wanted to get away from the Duggar circus and have a more mainstream lifestyle and Jeremy fit that bill. 

• Love 17