Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Hey, vanilla is a flavor even if most people think it isn't. The Duggs are the unflavored ice cream of people.

So they're basically ice? I can get behind that assessment. Now only if we could melt some of them...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I like Jinger's hair in that picture.

Looks dirty and stiff to me, kind of a like a bad wig. I'm torn between the Pygmalion analogy [I gave up on Woody Allen movies pre-scandal because of it. Blech] and hoping that he met her and also wanted to "Free Jinger." 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, PuhLeeze said:

Looks dirty and stiff to me, kind of a like a bad wig. I'm torn between the Pygmalion analogy [I gave up on Woody Allen movies pre-scandal because of it. Blech] and hoping that he met her and also wanted to "Free Jinger." 

I think it's a combination of both. Jeremy was looking for a certain type of woman, he met Jinger who fit the bill and they liked each other. 

I think the photo is cute. Jinger looks happy. With him she's smiling and looks relaxed, she's probably getting more emotional fulfillment than she's ever had (save her relationship with Jessa). If they want to take silly photos together at least they are both enjoying it, rather than looking depressed like Jill and Derrick. 

• Love 22

I think Jinger's hair is too much gel or mousse trying to get the hair to behave plus her hair lacks shine and luster and therefore tends to look dull and that translates to dirty to a lot of people.  I'm happy that both Jinger and Jeremy still look happy with each other and hope it continues.  Maybe that will lead to another Duggar willing to not rush into children if they can figure out the logic.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think Jinger's hair is too much gel or mousse trying to get the hair to behave plus her hair lacks shine and luster and therefore tends to look dull and that translates to dirty to a lot of people.  I'm happy that both Jinger and Jeremy still look happy with each other and hope it continues.  Maybe that will lead to another Duggar willing to not rush into children if they can figure out the logic.

I think Jinger's hair has a natural wave & texture to it that isn't the "banana curls" of the 90s nor is it pin straight...forcing textured hair to be pin straight requires a lot of maintence to keep it healthy. (Which she isn't doing) I think if she embraced her natural hair texture it would look healthier. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

I think it's a cute picture.  Like people visiting Pisa, Italy and taking a photo that makes it look like they're holding up the leaning tower. 

I like seeing these two enjoying their time together, but then I don't constantly search for things to criticize them for.....  

I don't have to search for things to criticise, I in no way believe this is an even partnership with equal say between each partner.

thinking back through their photos, there is one of Jerm looking at some books and Jing says something like Jerm loves books therefore I love books 

Jing is not out of the compound learning to find her passion in life, she is blindly following Jerm.  I don't think Jerm is as easy going as he is trying to make himself appear, I think he is very controlling, and I would say that as long as Jing is following his predetermined  ideas of what is acceptable all is good, but if she were to go and cut her hair short and get a nose ring, I think Jerm's demeanour wouldn't be so pleasant 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

10 hours ago, Absolom said:

To me her hair just looks really really damaged. I agree with @Love2dance that her hair looks healthier in its natural state, but even then the damage is still apparent.

I'm sure she's not willing to cut it short and start over, so instead she should probably start alternating between protein and deep conditioning treatments. A bond reconstructor would probably be a good idea too. Throw in a clear cellophane treatment every 3 months or so and her hair will be glam in no time! 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Totally said:

I don't have to search for things to criticise, I in no way believe this is an even partnership with equal say between each partner.

thinking back through their photos, there is one of Jerm looking at some books and Jing says something like Jerm loves books therefore I love books 

Jing is not out of the compound learning to find her passion in life, she is blindly following Jerm.  I don't think Jerm is as easy going as he is trying to make himself appear, I think he is very controlling, and I would say that as long as Jing is following his predetermined  ideas of what is acceptable all is good, but if she were to go and cut her hair short and get a nose ring, I think Jerm's demeanour wouldn't be so pleasant 

Well, I don't have a controlling partner at all but if I got a nose ring and cut off my hair my partner would not be too happy either.  Nor would I be happy with him if he grew his hair out long and started sporting multiple tattoos.  I am not against tattoos or long hair in men, but not for my partner.

I think it is normal to have certain expectations in our partner.  

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Totally said:

Bingo. Jer's father is heavily into some kind of "complementarianism" and "biblical gender roles," and Jer repeatedly toots his belief that his father is the holiest man in the world, so I have no reason to think his beliefs vary much from the old fart's. 

But of course it's all well in line with what I think is the show's ultimate irony -- the fact that its audience is almost exclusively made up of women, many of whom don't believe in "biblical patriarchy" or what have you and would be outraged if anyone suggested that they supported it. And yet watching the damn show puts money directly into the pockets of people whose main motivating purpose is to put women down and keep them there (and increases and prolongs those people's fame and stealth influence as well).

Seems pretty obvious to me that the conservative Christians' current fixation on transgender and homosexual bigotry is mostly just a cover for them. They certainly don't like anything suggestive of gender fluidity or ambiguity, of course. But I'm about a hundred percent sure that the smallish number of people who fall outside the two main sexes aren't what really threatens the Dugg-sons-and-adjacents and "godly fathers" JB and Chuck V and the conservative Christian "leaders" they all follow and emulate emulate.

What really grinds those guys' gizzards and scares them shitless is the idea that equality of power, opportunity, respect, and privilege between MEN!!!!! and that other, far lesser "jinder" -- meant-to-be-meek-and-in-their-place women -- might actually be the wave of the future. And they aren't allowing that.

But it's no longer fully socially acceptable in the United States for men to say women's place is to be barefoot penniless sandwich makers, period. So instead of bravely coming out like the big strong men they are and stating to the world that God intends men to rule and women merely to follow the "leaders" of their homes, they come at the point slyly. They pretend that they're only outraged at the homosexual and transgender community, while they hope that other men can agree with that and thereby be won over to support for those absolutely non-fluid "biblical gender roles." And those roles are much less about homosexuality than they are about what God's unshakable intention is for MEN!!!!! and women. And equality of agency and opportunity  isn't it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 19
7 hours ago, Totally said:

Jing is not out of the compound learning to find her passion in life, she is blindly following Jerm.

I had a far less controlling upbringing than Jinger and still struggle with how to be an adult with agency and the ability to make choices and live a life. My situation stems from the dislike of change, the dislike of making decisions, and being risk averse, but I kind of understand being overwhelmed by adulthood and life.

I don't expect Jinger to change overnight. I do understand her latching on to something familiar, and I don't think that necessarily makes Jeremy controlling. I think of the Duggar kids marriages, they're probably the best suited; he seems to have wanted a mostly agreeable wife and she wanted a familiar sort of different. I don't think they're ever going to run away and join an alternative culture and write a tell all. But I do see the potential for them to grow into a more mainstream religious stance, which, for Jinger is a huge step. It's all about expectations.

Most telling that they're a step above the other Duggar marriages, for me at least, is their lack of a honeymoon pregnancy, putting down roots somewhere away from her family, and the fact that Jeremy started his "ministering journey" smaller (no running off to DA for him) or at all (at least he's not working for JB). That's huge in their family and for that I commend Jinger.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

What really grinds those guys' gizzards and scares them shitless is the idea that equality of power, opportunity, respect, and privilege between MEN!!!!! and that other, far lesser "jinder" -- meant-to-be-meek-and-in-their-place women -- might actually be the wave of the future. And they aren't allowing that.

And yet the only reason any of these guys has a platform or following is because their wives. No one would know or care who any of them are if they hadn't married into the Duggar machine. I doubt that they are self aware enough to appreciate the irony, but I sure hope that it bugs them. 

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

I'm not personally convinced that Jeremy is controlling, but supposing he is, he's controlling her in the direction of having more freedom than she's ever had in her life. She can go out alone without a chaperone, can wear brand new clothes in more diverse styles, is sharing a room with one person rather than eight, is no longer raising her siblings, is experiencing new places and hobbies not just as a plot line for the show, and the list goes on. She's away from the compound and finding her identity as an individual rather than just one of nineteen.

JB and Michelle are a hell of a lot more controlling, IMO, and if she seems like she's just blindly following Jeremy it's all due to the damage they inflicted on her growing up. So if Jeremy really is controlling, I say control on, because she's got a better thing going now than she ever had before.

Yeah, I agree. I think all the Duggarlings are better off married and out of the TTH, no matter who they're with. Because even if they're with controlling people or people who still swallow Gothard or the like they still are being exposed to some additional people, some different people, some different experiences, etc. Any of those things might be the crack of the door that gets them to see there's something on the other side and start wondering whether JB and M might just have led them astray. 

I still do think that Jer, as well as Der and Bin, are bigly in line with the strict gender-role thing that the conservative evangelical old men are pushing hard at this moment, though. But with the Dugg-adjacents, I expect their adherence to it may have less to do with their actually concluding for themselves that it's valid and more to do with the fact that conservative-evangelical ministry is where each of them has decided he'll make his living and get the prestige he craves. While quite a few young conservative evangelicals are turning aside from this kind of idea and, especially, from the gay-bashing, all of these guys push it -- and I think it's because they're deliberately not going with the young rebels but following the old leaders instead, in the hope that they'll somehow get into the leadership positions themselves some day by going with the party line. ..... Thinking they'll ultimately be disappointed. ... But then, I suppose, if circumstances actually dictated that there was money to be made, they might turn into Christian feminists a couple of decades down the line. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kirjava said:

I'm not personally convinced that Jeremy is controlling, but supposing he is, he's controlling her in the direction of having more freedom than she's ever had in her life. She can go out alone without a chaperone, can wear brand new clothes in more diverse styles, is sharing a room with one person rather than eight, is no longer raising her siblings, is experiencing new places and hobbies not just as a plot line for the show, and the list goes on. She's away from the compound and finding her identity as an individual rather than just one of nineteen.

JB and Michelle are a hell of a lot more controlling, IMO, and if she seems like she's just blindly following Jeremy it's all due to the damage they inflicted on her growing up. So if Jeremy really is controlling, I say control on, because she's got a better thing going now than she ever had before.

I don't think he's controlling either. It needs to be taken into consideration, in NO way was Jinger herself going to get married one day and in the following week cut her hair, start wearing pants, going out and getting a job, signing up for classes, or any of the other pipe dreams the internet has had for a Duggar girl for damn near a decade. Jana certainly hasn't moved out to live an independent life. As it stands now, Jinger has more control over her life than any of her sisters ever will. Jeremy may be steering the boat, but I've yet to see he's not asking for her opinion or trying to include her in the direction the boat is going. If she's happy with the course, and it seems she is, that's not him being controlling, it's just how their marriage is working out. 

• Love 23
41 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

or any of the other pipe dreams the internet has had for a Duggar girl for damn near a decade.

These are not pipe dreams. This empire of bullshit will fall one day and the girls are going to have to do something.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

These are not pipe dreams. This empire of bullshit will fall one day and the girls are going to have to do something.

The Duggars depress me so much that I no longer expect the empire of bullshit to fall. I'm expecting a TLC show on the Duggars to continue at least unto the sixth generation of more and more poorly educated great great great great great grandbabies. I almost envision JB still grinning in the TTH after all that time. 

• Love 11

I just want to interject that I think we all forget in these families that in terms of gender roles most women in these families (ie Michelle, Kelly Jo and Mrs Vuolo) willingly joined up.  They weren't forced into it.  I'm not counting the Second generation, they had no choice.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

The Duggars depress me so much that I no longer expect the empire of bullshit to fall.

I hear you. Just remember nothing bad lasts forever. I know it's kind of a conspiracy theory, but I'm willing to bet that there is still some skeletons in the closet that make Josh look like an angel. Plus, they've only got 1 trick pony left - Jana's wedding and kid. I don't see it going past 5 more years.  It's going to be too weird seeing 30 and 40 year-olds that are completely dependent on mommy and daddy - who will be in their 70's and still trying for 20 kids.  Also, think of long-running TV shows.  The Duggers just celebrated 13 years on TV. How many shows have gone longer? Fictional shows - MASH, Cheers, Frasier, etc all gave up at this point. Even the soaps had complete turnovers. 

Jesus, and the entire rest of if the Bible goes to great lengths to point out that people who are riding high in the short term will often find themselves at the bottom of the heap in the long run. It's a shame the Duggers don't read and understand the Bible.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5

I see JereME as very controlling which is why he liked Jinger.  She was willing to follow.  However, Jinger is better off with Jeremy then some other clowns out there so at least she is moving in the right direction, somewhat. 

I think Jill totally drew the short straw.   

Let's put it this way. If there was a dire emergency and I had to leave my kids (or loved one) with a Dugg Son in Law,  I would choose Ben or Jeremy.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

I see JereME as very controlling which is why he liked Jinger.  She was willing to follow.  However, Jinger is better off with Jeremy then some other clowns out there so at least she is moving in the right direction, somewhat. 

Let's put it this way. If there was a dire emergency and I had to leave my kids (or loved one) with a Dugg Son in Law,  I would choose Ben or Jeremy.  

I would totally choose Ben.  He actually seems to like kids.  The first time I remember seeing him in the TTH, the littles were crawling all over him.  I can't imagine that with Derrick.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I would totally choose Ben.  He actually seems to like kids.  The first time I remember seeing him in the TTH, the littles were crawling all over him.  I can't imagine that with Derrick.

Actually, I think you're right.  My daughter and son-in-law don't have kids of their own, but their friends' kids all gravitate to my SIL, and Ben seems to be the same way.  I used to think he was stoned to appear so easygoing, and I would completely understand that, considering Jessa's family, but he does seem to have a way with the small set.  He just seems like such an agreeable guy.  For being a teenage groom, he's done well, especially considering his high-maintenance wife.

ETA:  Since this is Jer & Jin's thread, I'll add that I think Jer is as high-maintenance as Jessa, and Jin is agreeable to devote herself 100% to him, at least for now.  Isn't he a youngest child?  He's obviously used to adoration.

Edited by xwordfanatik
to add my take on Jer
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

ETA:  Since this is Jer & Jin's thread, I'll add that I think Jer is as high-maintenance as Jessa, and Jin is agreeable to devote herself 100% to him, at least for now.  Isn't he a youngest child?  He's obviously used to adoration.

I think if Jin crosses Jer in one shape or form, shit's going to hit the fan for Jin.  It might not happen in public.  It will probably happen behind closed doors.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

Bottom line: a grown man with experience of the world around him who seeks out a virgin emotional teenager? Automatically a controlling predator (or AT BEST, he's very seriously emotionally stunted so he and Jinger or basically on the same level).  As long as Jinger follows her training and always agrees with him, he'll probably continue to be warm and affectionate, but I'm not pretending that that makes him a good husband. He's the least bad option so yes, Jinger is better off with him than a lot of alternatives and her own family. 

As for the picture, I actually don't mind it. It's corny, but whatever. It's the pictures where he trying to hard to appear studious that make my eye twitch.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Check out this douche-y tweet from Baaaabe:

And of course, as usual, he's quoting -- and sucking up to -- some (equally douche-y) Bible scholar. Always playing the angles, is Jer. 

He's a big pile of frantic ambition. 

I'm unconvinced he has the chops to rise to the heights I know he's imagining for himself. But on the other hand, maybe the ranks he seeks to rise among are also dumber than I imagine. This one certainly is a middle-schooler just like he is. And he's much older and more established. 

All the way back when Der, Bin and then Jer started attaching themselves to Duggar girls, I was sure that they had their eyes on the connection increasing their ministry/mission possibilities. But even having thought that all along, I still keep being amazed by the way they all keep sucking up to various holy muckety mucks via social media.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Kirjava said:

Wish I could like this post 100 times.  The idea that Jeremy and Jinger might actually be happy seems to bother the same six people. Wonder why.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I've seen that saying before... most recently on Facebook.  It makes me laugh every time. 

I was going to say the same thing...it makes the rounds as some meme or another occasionally. But I've never seen it dressed up as a serious quote clothed in profundity. That's the douche-y part.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Wish I could like this post 100 times.  The idea that Jeremy and Jinger might actually be happy seems to bother the same six people. Wonder why.

I'm not bothered in the least if they are happy

I just doubt this happiness would still be there I'd Jing ever wants to stray from Jerm's perception of what is 'good and right' 

I doubt very much that if Jing grows and wants something that isn't on Jerm's path there would be an adult discussion and coming to an agreement that makes them both happy. 

Jerm stated he was attracted to Jing's meekness. A sheltered virgin and meek, and that doesn't make anyone else think 'Hold on a minute' . A 27/28 year old been around the block minor sports star, or whatever he was, wanting someone young and meek. 

More power to them if they're happy, but I still don't believe that Jerm wasn't looking for someone to mould and that isn't healthy 

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Totally said:

A 27/28 year old been around the block minor sports star, or whatever he was, wanting someone young and meek

Well, he could hardly admit that he was drawn in to the media empire JB had built and was hoping to use it to springboard his own career and Jinger was cute and available. 

Jeremy might be stuck in 1830s gender roles mindset, but I don't think he's secretly a monster. Jinger seems happy (happiest of the Duggar kids, even), healthy, and adjusting well enough outside her family, and that's what's most important, imo.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 15

And marriage usually is a time for people to figure out how to live together over the long haul if they don't have divorce as an option when things get tough.  So far Jinge looks happy.  Maybe when one of them wants a baby and the other one doesn't, we will see cracks in the facade.  She seemed all too willing to move away from the compound.  And if she is clever (and why do the women have to be the clever ones) she will get Jeremy to think whatever it is, is his idea.  Or at least I hope so.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

And marriage usually is a time for people to figure out how to live together over the long haul if they don't have divorce as an option when things get tough.  So far Jinge looks happy.  Maybe when one of them wants a baby and the other one doesn't, we will see cracks in the facade.  She seemed all too willing to move away from the compound.  And if she is clever (and why do the women have to be the clever ones) she will get Jeremy to think whatever it is, is his idea.  Or at least I hope so.

I suspect this may be the only "housekeeping" skill MEchelle may have tried to teach these girls, mostly by example. Jill must have missed a few lessons off being daddy's fave and seems to resort to a rather meek passive aggression. Jessa chose a different path in clearly being the dominant partner. The subtlety of the approach went right over Joy's head. Jingle may have the right combination of intelligence and... "meekness" to do this successfully. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And of course, as usual, he's quoting -- and sucking up to -- some (equally douche-y) Bible scholar. Always playing the angles, is Jer. 

He's a big pile of frantic ambition. 

I'm unconvinced he has the chops to rise to the heights I know he's imagining for himself. But on the other hand, maybe the ranks he seeks to rise among are also dumber than I imagine. This one certainly is a middle-schooler just like he is. And he's much older and more established. 

All the way back when Der, Bin and then Jer started attaching themselves to Duggar girls, I was sure that they had their eyes on the connection increasing their ministry/mission possibilities. But even having thought that all along, I still keep being amazed by the way they all keep sucking up to various holy muckety mucks via social media.  

Which goes to show how marrying into the Duggar clan isn't the path to fundie ministry success they thought it would be. I have no idea how the Duggars are perceived among the truly fundie--I've read some say that people view then as sellouts, but that's random internet people so who knows. If that's the case, though, then any chance in growing a ministry from the exposure relies on fans of the show, and even the most ardent leghumpers aren't religious enough to follow a Duggar husband, not in numbers that matter. Because the only success that *might* result from marrying into the Duggar family is reality tv fame, NOT from a ministry with thousands of followers. Ben, Derick, and Jeremy didn't realize that. (And neither of them have the charisma to pull off a ministry even if the Duggars did provide a boost in that direction.)

12 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Because not everyone can turn off their brain enough to ignore what they know about their beliefs and their relationship?

• Love 2

I don't look at a happy Duggar couple and assume that because they look happy that that must mean that they're more progressive. Sure, they're happy. Good for them. Jeremy still preaches some fucked up shit, so it's reasonable to assume that they're relationship isn't some egalitarian utopia.

• Love 8

In "the wild," and especially what most project on SM, it's not guaranteed that they are happy. They're on TV and have an image to project. Who believes that Smuggar is truly happy, although it sure looks like he's gonna use that baby to get his ass on TV by playing the proud daddy. 

• Love 4