Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

I am happy for happy people.  I don't have to subscribe to their beliefs.  And I don't expect others to subscribe to mine.  Takes all sorts to live in this world and I for one appreciate our differences.  

If I met a Duggar and all I saw in that moment was happiness, I'd accept it for what it was at that moment.  I don't have to sit in judgement on their whole life.  

So what I see of Jinger and Jeremy is they are having a good time!  Love those skates- they've changed since I was a kid!

I wish all the children and adult children happiness even Josh if only for his family's sake.  I certainly don't wish them misery just cause I think their life is nuts.

• Love 3

Sorry, you did wander into "A Duggar" in your second paragraph. I agree that for now, most couples appear happy. JinJer may genuinely be so. We know she is, without a doubt. His motives are still not totally clear.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Jeremy does remind me that he might be slightly controlling but he also reminds me of a big old goofball who likes to have fun and be the life of the party.  People usually have more than one side to them even the Duggars.

Edited by flyingdi
Because I can't think and type at once.
  • Love 6

I'm happy for Jin escaping Boob & Co.  If Jer makes her as happy as she appears, that's wonderful.  Just because I find someone's relationship odd doesn't mean I don't wish them well.

After all, one person's idea of happy may give someone else nightmares.  Extreme example, but I think you get my meaning :)

• Love 11
8 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

I suspect this may be the only "housekeeping" skill MEchelle may have tried to teach these girls, mostly by example. Jill must have missed a few lessons off being daddy's fave and seems to resort to a rather meek passive aggression. Jessa chose a different path in clearly being the dominant partner. The subtlety of the approach went right over Joy's head. Jingle may have the right combination of intelligence and... "meekness" to do this successfully. 

I think this accurately describes the older daughters, and when you think about it, they actually all have pretty different personalities that are coming out as they continue into their marriages.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Lunera said:

Well looky here, we have Torvill & Dean without the charm & the romance.  Teenage daughter is taking dad out for some time on the ice.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, ariel said:

Well looky here, we have Torvill & Dean without the charm & the romance.  Teenage daughter is taking dad out for some time on the ice.

Is it the height difference? He doesn't look that old and she doesn't look that young to me. My sister's 5' and her husband is 6'3"--little kids are the only ones that think he's her dad. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, magpye29 said:

Maybe he never did ice skating because he didn't want to get an injury that would cost him his soccer career.

I'm going to agree. Have a son who played for a D1 school in college. He didn't do anything like that for fear of blowing out a knee, breaking a bone, etc.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Pretty injured depending on how you fall. 

Yep. My son broke his tibia roller skating. Spiral fracture-2 months in a wheelchair because it was a non-weight bearing break after surgery to install rods then remove them. Good times. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

How,injured can you get ice skating?

I knew a girl was was a pretty good ice skater but she was pretty much taken out by another skater and really, really hurt. They collided and the the other girl's skate blade sliced right thru her leg. It did a lot of muscle damage. I remember she was out of school for a while and on crutches for months. 

• Love 4

Hey, when talking about Jinger and Jeremy, please be aware that people will see things through their own lens which may be different than yours. Commenting on how some people feel vs other people just leads down a road to sniping and hurt feelings.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, magpye29 said:

Maybe he never did ice skating because he didn't want to get an injury that would cost him his soccer career.

Absolutely. I would assume he was probably restricted in outside sports, both by his coaches and by the fact that if he so much as twisted an ankle he could lose his job. That would keep me from taking risks!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

Absolutely. I would assume he was probably restricted in outside sports, both by his coaches and by the fact that if he so much as twisted an ankle he could lose his job. That would keep me from taking risks!

Certainly as a pro, Jeremy's contract would've specifically prohibited dangerous sports, of which skating would be one (along with racing cars, bikes or anything else, skiing, riding motorcycles, etc) and, if he got injured while ice skating, he would've forfeited his salary.

If he went to college on an athletic scholarship, he was, at the very least, under pressure not to get hurt playing other sports which could jeopardize his grant.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, Lunera said:

Why work when you can go ice skating on totally uncrowded midday ice? (I actually do this a lot. Work it into my schedule.) Anyway, looks like fun, but also doesn't look like prepping a sermon or visiting church members.

13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

One can get VERY injured! I don't encourage you to look up the topic on YouTube unless you like seeing concussion-inducing falls and flesh being sliced. I myself have broken my ankles 3 times. (All is well at the moment.)

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Its funny you ask that since I just ran into my neighbor who had quite the injury from it.  It involved a hairy fall and his face hit something it shouldn't.  I was a bit zoned out due to the awfulness of it so I am scant on the details (took myself to a happy place while he was describing it).  All I know is his nose was nearly ripped off his face.  MAJOR plastic surgery.  I am pretty klutzy so if an injury is slightly possible doing something it will mos def happen to me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Its funny you ask that since I just ran into my neighbor who had quite the injury from it.  It involved a hairy fall and his face hit something it shouldn't.  I was a bit zoned out due to the awfulness of it so I am scant on the details (took myself to a happy place while he was describing it).  All I know is his nose was nearly ripped off his face.  MAJOR plastic surgery.  I am pretty klutzy so if an injury is slightly possible doing something it will mos def happen to me.

My friend's husband was really hurt (major ankle fracture) from roller skating.  He was 40 something at the time, and it took quite a while to mend.  My cousin fell in a parking lot and had the same result.

Ice skating is something I could never get the hang of.  It does look like fun, but at 60 plus I think my ship has sailed on that activity.  Same with skiing.

It does look like no one else was there with JinJer.  

Damn, I should have become a pastor and married a reality "star."  Snarky old me thinks Jer's got it made in the shade :)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Like everybody else here has said, it's really a dangerous sport.  If you fall, you're usually traveling fairly fast across the ice which is hard as a rock, of course.  There have been multiple figure skaters who've been out of commission for considerable periods of time with concussions, even skull fractures, after knockin' their noggin on the ice. 

Getting slashed by a skate blade also tends to cause significant, even life threatening, injuries.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, magpye29 said:

That's entirely possible. But also-it's just not unusual at all, in Pennsylvania or any state, to not know how to ice skate. A lot of people never do it. There is nothing strange about it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hey @Marigold, I couldn't help but think of you when I saw this gem. 

I have that smashy feeling again

The people I know who truly love books don't have nice neat ordered bookcases like I see behind Jerm,

or maybe I just know slobby peeps 

• Love 14
43 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was a bloody ENGLISH major, but I was never pictured hugging my beloved books. Jeremy seems to be collecting hardbacks to make his study look like a law library. 

My English 2 Honors teacher from sophomore year was notoriously protective of her beloved copy of Jane Eyre. Its pages were lovingly kept in a blue plastic school supply box since the binding had long since broken.

40 minutes ago, Totally said:

I have that smashy feeling again

The people I know who truly love books don't have nice neat ordered bookcases like I see behind Jerm,

or maybe I just know slobby peeps 

I love books and my bookcase is far from neat. There are as many books as possible squeezed into vertical rows and then more books are stacked horizontally on top of those row because I ran out of space.

• Love 20

His posed pictures are the one thing I will never criticize him for. He is not messing around with Instagram, and it is so much better than all of the rest of the Duggars. What's the point of having an Instagram if you don't bother to compose the pictures? I won't follow him because I'm not encouraging any of this crap, but his is the only one I think I would enjoy following (well, and Jinger's).

I don't believe that Jeremy would handle it well if Jinger develops true independent thought, but for now she seems really happy and she's not pregnant. So it's good for a Duggar, and every fracture in her upbringing is another chance for her to figure out what she wants for herself. 

• Love 7

He's really starting to get on my (considerable) tits with his contrived poses. It's just too much, to "trying too hard", too "I AM an intellectual with wit". Give it up, Jeremy.

It would be alright once in a while, but this one's trying wayyyy too hard. He's no intellectual. I have never seen any (wannabe) Church person who spends so much time on social media. How about ministering to your flock, eh?

My own bookcase looks messy now, but that's simply because I really don't like ebooks and have no further space left. I think he isn't into mess, which may explain why there is unlikely to be a gazillion kids for both of them. Plus, it would take Jinger's attention away from him.

• Love 16

Just removed a whole slew of posts because apparently there is something going around where people feel it's ok to snark on each other. That is never ok. The swipes at people that don't agree are not only getting tiresome, they're starting to violate the Be Civil rules. Snark the show and its participants, not your fellow posters. Also, report, don't engage. Ignore also works whether the function or the scroll past and roll your eyes silently. The rolling the eyes verbally at your fellow posters is what is not allowed.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hey @Marigold, I couldn't help but think of you when I saw this gem. 

Jeremy, you're really really trying too hard.

I think he must be pretty insecure about his brains and his knowledge because this -- along with stuff that's just off like calling the silly joke about talking to yourself "profound" -- seems to me like something you'd only do if you were trying to demonstrate something. ... Otherwise, I don't think it would occur to you to keep taking these "passion for books" pictures or praise the Bible guy's joke by dubbing it profundity. Calm down, Jeremy. Just read the books and study them and in time you'll feel a lot smarter, guaranteed. Pictures of yourself hugging them won't do it. .... Kinda reminds of that picture of DJT hugging the flag in an attempt to prove patriotism. It looks phony even if it isn't. 

He's also either very heavily into the new Calvinism fad and/or Banner of Truth is willing to give out free books in return for social-media pimping. ... Probably both. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

You know what Jer caressing his books reminds me of? Once my husband and I, both college grads, were going on a plane with his sister, who hates to read and never finished high school. We all went into an airport bookstore to find some good plane reading. We picked out some easy reading best sellers. The sister came out with a hardcover copy of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, obviously thinking we'd be impressed. We couldn't help laughing. She pouted, "I like Shakespeare! It's fun trying to figure out what he's talking about." And I imagine that is Jeremy, posing with his high-learnin' books while he tries to figure out what they're talking about.

• Love 13

Well don't hate me but I like my books orderly so I can find them.  I think it is a good picture of a book lover.  Nothing wrong with the photo or having a library.  If the bookshelves were messy, I think the comments would reflect the messiness.  

Not my type of reading material at all.  Not one book I'd read but it is his library so more power to him.

• Love 11

I have a BA in English and a Masters in Library Science.  I have 3 bookcases full of books; one book case is devoted to religious books (Catholic religious books, the horror!).  I have never posed with my books, and while my family and friends know what a voracious reader I am I don't feel it necessary to flaunt my books to others. I could only wish that Jeremy would learn some tolerance for Catholics (and others) from all those books he is so fond of.

Edited by abbey
spelling
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Catlyn said:

There's a lot of new books on the shelves. Many look like the haven't been even opened for a quick perusal.  There are a view that look older however, but were they Jeremy's or bought used?

That was my first thought.  For a guy who claims to love books and reading so much, most of the books on his shelves look like they've never been opened.  I think he may be doing all of this posing with them in order to get the publishers to give him free books.  It's not an uncommon racket for someone on Instagram with a lot of followers to cut deals with various businesses to plug their merchandise online for money and free stuff.  I could see Jeremy pursuing this kind of a 'career'.  He's like Kim Kardashian without the botox.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, abbey said:

I have a BA in English and a Masters in Library Science.  I have 3 bookcases full of books; one book case is devoted to religious books (Catholic religious books, the horror!).  I have never posed with my books, and while my family and friends know what a voracious reader I am I don't feel it necessary to flaunt my books to others. I could only wish that Jeremy would learn some tolerance for Catholics (and others) from all those books he is so fond of.

I expect he's probably learning the opposite from most of the books he has. Jer (and Bin and Der) all have big love affairs going with Catholic-bashing theology types.

(Not that there aren't Protestant-bashing theology types out there as well -- that's the difficulty with the "one true religion" thing, for those of us who aren't one-true religionists. I'm pretty sure all the Duggar adjacents are, though. They may tolerate Jews, but only because they are planning to convert them to Calvinism. ... or Gothardism.)

• Love 8