Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Jinger appears to be having a ball; no more faded, baggy hand me downs.  When Jill got married,  I distinctively remember Jessa snarling that she took all the "cute" clothes.  That caught me off guard, because  I had no idea they had a communal closet.  I was under the impression they each had their own frumpy crap.  I  wonder if that arrangement also includes underwear.  

• Love 4
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 4:21 PM, DangerousMinds said:

What has Jinger done for the ministry so far? Anything at all?

Her ministry is the show, barf. She's a Dugg doing Dugg stuff for the show and coasting. These two are just like the rest of the family, they have their 'pretend' jobs/plotlines while their real job is the show. 

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 5:01 PM, doodlebug said:

What has Jeremy done?

He makes videos and then goes on holidays. Duggs gonna Dugg. 

20 hours ago, Lunera said:

That shirt is fugly but it's workout clothing, it would look so much cuter with leggings or some cute workout pants.

Screenshot_20170814-160441.thumb.jpg.de1b881587ebc8fcd628a60aa0eec0f9.jpg

Jinger's outfit is a fail. If she keeps it simple when she dresses up, she looks fine, but those pants she chose with the top and runners are a travesty. Someone needs to get her a Marie Claire, Allure, Cosmo or Vogue subscription. hehe. ;)

• Love 1

I wish Jinger would spend time with Jeremy's sister, she and brother Chuck seem like cool people. They are in a band together and love music, totally the opposite of Jeremy. 

Jeremy's mother attended the Julliard School of Music and is in a string quarter with Valerie. Valerie teaches music in The Haverford School, a private school for boys. 

Screenshot_20170813-154325.jpg

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

She looks like she's headed to middle school. 

I've been on a few university campuses in the last little while and she'd fit right in.... style wise. Sadly, her education wouldn't make the grade.

There is absolutely nothing accidental about that Nike shirt.  That's some beautiful shade right there. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I wish Jinger would spend time with Jeremy's sister, she and brother Chuck seem like cool people. They are in a band together and love music, totally the opposite of Jeremy. 

Jeremy's mother attended the Julliard School of Music and is in a string quarter with Valerie. Valerie teaches music in The Haverford School, a private school for boys. 

She didn't go to Juilliard. 

"Diana was awarded a full tuition scholarship to attend the Philadelphia College of Performing Arts, where she earned a Bachelor of Music degree in Violin Performance. At PCPA she studied with the famed teacher, Dorothy DeLay. She was also a regular performer for the DeLay master classes at the Aspen Music School. She has had a variety of performing experiences, including a concert tour of Germany with the Concerto Soloists of Philadelphia, the Philly Pops Orchestra, and was Assistant Concertmaster for the International Lyric Festival Opera Orchestra in Italy. She also served as a substitute for the Saint Louis Symphony under Leonard Slatkin."

3 minutes ago, Heathen said:

"Diana was awarded a full tuition scholarship to attend the Philadelphia College of Performing Arts, where she earned a Bachelor of Music degree in Violin Performance. At PCPA she studied with the famed teacher, Dorothy DeLay. She was also a regular performer for the DeLay master classes at the Aspen Music School. She has had a variety of performing experiences, including a concert tour of Germany with the Concerto Soloists of Philadelphia, the Philly Pops Orchestra, and was Assistant Concertmaster for the International Lyric Festival Opera Orchestra in Italy. She also served as a substitute for the Saint Louis Symphony under Leonard Slatkin."

She may not have gone to Julliard, but it's pretty clear that Jeremy's mother, as well as his sister are talented, well educated and accomplished women.  I hope Jinger doesn't pull out a Duggar violin and jam with them, but I hope their lives do inspire her to pursue further education and/or training in an area that interests her.

Edited by doodlebug
wonky punctuation
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

She may not have gone to Julliard, but it's pretty clear that Jeremy's mother, as well as his sister are talented, accomplished, women.  I hope Jinger doesn't pull out a Duggar violin and jam with them, but I hope their lives do inspire her to pursue further education and/or training in an area that interests her.

As do I, but I like accuracy. :) 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Tough crowd!  She's wearing modern shoes with closed toes, pants, and a shirt that literally calls back to her family's ridiculous rules and there are still 35 things wrong with what she's doing. 

I must be easy because I'm just glad to see her smiling and experimenting the way she didn't get to as a kid. 

I was raised wearing only skirts and following the same kind of rules about modesty as Jinger. When I finally started wearing pants and choosing my own clothes, it wasn't the easiest or best transition. It took time to figure out which jeans fit me best and to get comfortable with the feeling of wearing pants at all.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Ok, I read it wrong I thought she attended Julliard but it was her instructor Dorothy Delay who attended.

56 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She may not have gone to Julliard, but it's pretty clear that Jeremy's mother, as well as his sister are talented, well educated and accomplished women.  I hope Jinger doesn't pull out a Duggar violin and jam with them, but I hope their lives do inspire her to pursue further education and/or training in an area that interests her.

Yes.  It's great that Jin has a MIL that is an educated woman, even if she is fundy.  Jer already has gone up a few notches in my book for encouraging Jin to have faith! in herself.  I still find him controlling and a bit weird, but I suppose that might be because I have a bias toward jocks, having a "I'm GGTW" attitude and all.

They still look better to me than the other marrieds from the Duggars, and for that I applaud them.  The other married women must be so jealous!  The Nike thing was classic & so apt!  Jin must feel like she's been freed from jail, and I HOPE they are practicing some kind of birth control.  Whomever thought of the Free Jinjer (I hate Jinger, it rhymes with singer), must have seen something in Jin early on.  Her dreams could come true, and that is so cool!

6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's great that Jin has a MIL that is an educated woman, even if she is fundy.

The thing is Diana Vuolo isn't really fundie.  She's conservative religiously, but there is a difference.  She's in a very, very large group religiously where the fundies are a much smaller, much more legalistic, more literal Bible, usually more uneducated, really just more extreme in their views.  

• Love 7
Just now, Absolom said:

The thing is Diana Vuolo isn't really fundie.  She's conservative religiously, but there is a difference.  She's in a very, very large group religiously where the fundies are a much smaller, much more legalistic, more literal Bible, usually more uneducated, really just more extreme in their views.  

Now that gives me hope.  I hope Jin & Jer continue to stick it to Boob & Co. any way they can.

Hopefully Diana and Jeremy are introducing the world of music to Jin.  I can't think what my life would have been like, to never experience every genre of music, and the artists that have created it.  

I picture Jin flipping on the radio and just enjoying what she's never been allowed to hear.  Jin & Jer attending concerts, and listening to his (hopefully full) CD collection.  What a world of wonderful things she must have missed.

• Love 1

I've listened to her testimony. She's all into wifely submission and other fundie tenets. She's more fundie than I thought she'd be what with the band music and normal clothing. I'd put the senior Vuolos somewhere between fundie lite and full-blown fundie. Let's not forget, part of Pa's ministry is to convert the Amish.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mimionthebeach said:

I've been on a few university campuses in the last little while and she'd fit right in.... style wise. Sadly, her education wouldn't make the grade.

Jinger has been dressing exactly like other women do her age at the moment. She's gone from the baggy 9.95 jeans from Walmart and flowered pantsuits to what is considered "in style". I doubt Baaaaaaabe is micromanaging her clothes. If anything she's probably thrilled to finally be wearing all those clothes she's seen others wearing.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

DO they truly "get" the Nike diss though?

I think they do. Nike was obviously chosen as the code word for a reason (commonly used word, not fundy wear, wouldn't draw attention if anyone heard them say it in public) and now we have Jinger not only wearing heathen clothing head to toe, she's also wearing the code word in two ways. I personally don't think Jeremy is controlling her every move or behind every non fundy thing she does, but I do have a feeling he had a hand in planning this one. Jinger looks more than thrilled with it though and I'd like to imagine she took special glee when the picture was posted. 

59 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Is she supposed to wear $9.98 Walmart specials?

Apparently she and Jeremy aren't allowed to wear anything new, or expensive, or name brand, or trendy, or fun, or young, or a million other things. 

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I've listened to her testimony. She's all into wifely submission and other fundie tenets. She's more fundie than I thought she'd be what with the band music and normal clothing. I'd put the senior Vuolos somewhere between fundie lite and full-blown fundie. Let's not forget, part of Pa's ministry is to convert the Amish.

Those aren't really the factors that differentiate fundie from conservative though.  Wifely submission is all over some conservative groups to one extent or another as is converting other Christians.  It's more the KJV only, absolutely literal reading of the word of the Bible without any understanding of context or history or type of literature, young earth creation, extreme modesty, following OT laws, and above all being extremely legalistic plus other factors that make a fundie.  I need to make and keep a list.

• Love 2

I applaud Jin for wearing pants etc, but I don't believe she would have done so if it wasn't for Jeremy  'guiding her' and I firmly believe he is the influence behind her clothing choices that are posted. Every pic Jeremy posts is controlled to present him in a certain way. There are no off guard pics

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Those aren't really the factors that differentiate fundie from conservative though.  Wifely submission is all over some conservative groups to one extent or another as is converting other Christians.  It's more the KJV only, absolutely literal reading of the word of the Bible without any understanding of context or history or type of literature, young earth creation, extreme modesty, following OT laws, and above all being extremely legalistic plus other factors that make a fundie.  I need to make and keep a list.

Yeah, don't almost all stripes of Protestant who believe Christ was the Messiah, also believe that the coming of the Messiah negates whollly the need to follow any of the Old Testament laws, as the death of Christ on the cross obviates any need to?  (I want to say it's part of Lutheran communion which might also mean it's part of Catholic communion.). Strictly speaking I feel it's stuff like still hewing to the Old Testament rules that makes Gothard into a culty apostate.

I continue to maintain that regardless of what we all think of Jeremy, it becomes ever increasingly obvious that Jessa put her back into finding Jinger the very best first string Christian male Jessa had in her arsenal, which I think is admirable.  She could have been all competitive about wanting all her sisters to marry worse than she herself did.

• Love 8

Folks, please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and it is not ok to criticize your fellow posters. It's fine that people think that outfit is ugly, or that it's beautiful, or that it demonstrates something about Jeremy, or something about Jinger, or that it's just an outfit and has no meaning at all. Please give people the space to have their own opinions, and if you disagree, do so respectfully, and then move on. 

One outfit is not worth fighting over.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Apparently she and Jeremy aren't allowed to wear anything new, or expensive, or name brand, or trendy, or fun, or young, or a million other things. 

I do think it's weird to post a close up of the sneakers. Though they're not that expensive (I realize I was thinking of a pair of original Jordans that had sold for a few hundred not that long ago), it's just, I don't know, very "look at how cool and on trend we are!" 

37 minutes ago, Totally said:

I applaud Jin for wearing pants etc, but I don't believe she would have done so if it wasn't for Jeremy  'guiding her' and I firmly believe he is the influence behind her clothing choices that are posted. Every pic Jeremy posts is controlled to present him in a certain way. There are no off guard pics

I don't think Jeremy is doing much guiding in terms of clothes other than saying yay or nay when asked an opinion (except for those sneakers because there's no way Jinger had heard of them), but I completely agree about his posts and those pictures. 

• Love 1

The best part of Jinger's clothing transformation is knowing that Boob and J'Chelle are seething about it and there isn't anything they can do. I love the enormous FU she's happily sending them with that outfit. Jeremy clearly doesn't subscribe to the Duggars' one size fits all modesty rules and appears to have no problem with his wife looking like she's living in 2017. She must feel like she's been parolled after a lifelong stint in dowdy fashion jail. Good for her. Hope her newfound freedom eventually extends into other areas and she becomes the first married Duggar daughter to decide she has choices other than bearing a boatload of children and can, if she wants, pursue an education and/or (gasp) get a job. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 20

I think Jeremy and Jinger just want to show that she has brand-new shoes that were bought just for her and fit correctly.  Have we ever seen Jin wearing that type of athletic shoe?  She never has to wear flip-flops while doing outdoor activities again (unless she wants to).  Maybe Jeremy wants to teach Jinger to play soccer?

Edited by magpye29
had another thought
  • Love 6

It's entirely possible that these picture are a FU to us, and not to JB. They could be showing us that the endless blither about the children choosing their own rules are true.

Personally, I don't think that JB or J'chelle gives a crap. Their goal was to marry off a virtuous daughter, and they did that -- what happens now is Jeremy's problem. I can't imagine two people who care less about their children. If they thought that Jinger wearing pants or decent shoes might give the other children "ideas", ir might be an  issue, but I really don't think that they think about about the younger children at all.

I don't know what's going on with Jeremy and Jinger, but I'm happy to see her looking happy and trying new things. I'm thrilled that they haven't announce a pregnancy --  yet. I don't really get why they are taking endless trips and buying new clothes when Jeremy is supposedly in the process of "planting" a new church in an area that is -- at best -- economically challenged.

• Love 10

I don't think they put that much thought into other peeps whether it be Jinger's parents or the public...I think Jinger is having fun having developing her own wardrobe.  To me, it takes a lot of hate/anger to want to dress in a FU kind of way.  I do not see Jinger feeling that way.  

We do not like her parents but she loves them.  She is gaining her indepence but she is still tied to her family like most of us are.  I would be horrified if she shunned them even though I do not like them at all.  

I am happy she is finding her own way.

• Love 11

I also doubt that JB and Michelle care much about what Jinger wears now. I think they're pretty consistent with the whole headship thing so now that she's married, they're fine with whatever she does as long as Jeremy's fine with it. 

• Love 1

Agreed that the parents may not care about Jinger or their other children as individuals, but I think they do care about their own public image. Having a child who does not adhere to their strict fundie faith reflects poorly on them (in their view, I assume), and THAT is what JB and Michelle care about.

• Love 21
19 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Nike was obviously chosen as the code word for a reason (commonly used word, not fundy wear, wouldn't draw attention if anyone heard them say it in public

Right. I'm sure it drew no attention at all when all the sisters simultaneously shouted "NIKE!" and all the brothers and the father immediately stared firmly at their shoes. The word may have been chosen to avoid drawing attention, or it may have been about avoiding mentioning anything that might give rise to impure thoughts.  Whatever the case, their implementation was not subtle. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Right. I'm sure it drew no attention at all when all the sisters simultaneously shouted "NIKE!" and all the brothers and the father immediately stared firmly at their shoes. The word may have been chosen to avoid drawing attention, or it may have been about avoiding mentioning anything that might give rise to impure thoughts.  Whatever the case, their implementation was not subtle. 

Don't forget the part in their book where the girls said it's female family de rigueur to never bend over without plastering a hand to the shirt above your collarbone, lest some male passerby might get a free peek of cleavage.  (Because of course it's perfectly normal for teens to make gestures like senior citizen schoolmarms.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Agreed that the parents may not care about Jinger or their other children as individuals, but I think they do care about their own public image. Having a child who does not adhere to their strict fundie faith reflects poorly on them (in their view, I assume), and THAT is what JB and Michelle care about.

That's definitely possible, but I think as long as Jinger doesn't say anything about it, it won't be an issue. It's like Ben's foray into Christian rap--it's not a secret how much JB/M hate most music, but not a single mention was made about it even though it was the elephant in the room. 

• Love 1

I do think her parents care about the image Jinger projects through her appearance because it reflects on them. They are heavily invested in their concept of modesty for their daughters --no pants ever, skirts below the knee, multiple layers on top. There is no way they can be happy about or approving of a daughter, married or not, so casually abandoning the standards she was brought up with. By happily posing for a photo wearing skinny jeans and a top with the code word Nike across her chest, Jinger is sending a clear message that she's rejected something of fundamental importance to her parents, something that is at the very core of their beliefs. This has to be a kick in the gut to the uber authoritarian Boob, especially, and may well have left him and J'Chelle wondering where they went wrong. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 21