Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Heart and Soul

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

The message of this week's episode: Don't have children, because they're insufferable.

I have zero sympathy for Kate realizing that she lost a lot of time with her mother. That's what happens when you mistreat a loved one for twenty-something years.

2 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Kate called her mom a slut . She should have been slapped ! 

The ending montage at the piano was really nice . 

Kevin needs therapy . He has no idea what he wants . 

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but Kate has really treated her mother so HORRIBLY for a long time and I never understood it. I’m glad her disrespectful ass got slapped. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

Show. Put me out of my misery and just tell me who Kevin ends up with. Because another episode of teasing, I might not care.
I like the worst case scenario game.
We have not seen Annie in like forever.  Glad she still exists and hasn't been Chuck Cunningham'd. 
I'm guessing the Deja/Malik plan doesn't go through since she ends up becoming a doctor.  She did become a doctor - right?
Young Kate was way out of line.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am going to have to take back what I said about needing to see the Nicky/Edie love story.  Those two were hilarious tonight.  Far more enjoyable than Deja and Malik.  I'm going to regret saying this, Randall is right.  What's best for Deja is not quitting school and moving in with Malik.  She is wise beyond her years, but she does not need to sacrifice her youth for a guy and his daughter. Malik needs to set her free not tie her down with his responsibilities. 

Maybe Deja comes to her senses and dumps the guy.  We know she grows up to go to med school, so she does eventually finish school…..

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

This doesn’t feel like a final season. I feel like its a lot of filler and no real meat. I guess I’m just waiting for something big.  Who does  Kevin end up with?  What happens to Kate and Toby?

The show isn't doing itself any favors the longer it keeps Kate and Toby together, considering this is The Final Chapter and they have a fixed amount of time to get her divorced from Toby and dating Phillip Mean Jerk. Maybe we'll stay with Kate and Toby for the majority of the season and then in the second-to-last episode they will divorce and her dating Phillip Mean Jerk will be entirely off-screen until the five-year-flashforward wedding. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

When Deja talks in that super-calm voice she sounds almost threatening...

She does.  I was waiting for Randall to call her bluff when it comes to her plan.  

4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Maybe Deja comes to her senses and dumps the guy.  We know she grows up to go to med school, so she does eventually finish school…..

I know she is in med school, but I cannot fathom her achieving that while being with Malik.  That's just a bridge too far.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I thought this was supposed to be about the romance between Rebecca and Miguel but I was wrong. Liked the parts with Beth and Rebecca. Teenage girls can be awful but she did apologize to her mom . Liked her teaching Liittle Jack at the end. Sadly, Kate is right about not leaving Rebecca alone with the kids. Not terribly interested in Deja and Malik.

• Love 9

Beth assigning Deja and Malik Romeo and Juliet characteristics was not helpful and rather morbid.  I don’t care enough about those characters to be bothered with what they do.   Just wasted space for me.

I was hoping to see more about the main characters and how that will lead to the future. I was disappointed that Kevin seemed so ambivalent.  He really does run hot and cold.  I did love the comment by Kevin to Niki when he said that it’d been a long while since he made love to a living woman…….🤣.  Kevin’s response was hysterical.  

Kate has blamed her mom for everything for most of the show…..until she got sick. Maybe that’s why  I’m not  big Kate fan.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 20

This show always brings me to tears at the end....the scenes of Rebecca playing the piano with little Jack and then the scenes of Rebecca playing piano with young Kate, and then adult Kate leans her head on her Mom.   Meanwhile, Kevin needs therapy not another jump to another woman, he cant make up his mind, at least Cassidy was mature enough to tell him what needed to be said.  Too much time spent on the Malik/Deja story although I did get a kick out of the 3 sisters planning together(Annie & her knock knock jokes), then Beth's faces while trying to calm down Randall...I just love Beth.  And I love Miguel(and Rebecca loves his curls, awww)

• Love 14
Just now, Quickbeam said:

My husband half watching the episode when the Deja/Malik dinner was happening: “Is that the little brother?”……Because the actor playing Malik looks a hair short of 13. 

If someone told me Malik’s a freshman, I would have guessed high school. He definitely passes for 14.

• LOL 4
  • Love 18

I had to laugh at Beth asking what Randall would have done at that age. Randall totally would have ditched her at 17 if Rebecca told him to! Sorry, Beth!

When Deja was a freshman they let her date a junior with a kid. That was the time to strongly discourage that relationship, and they didn’t. What did they think would happen?

A parent is never justified in slapping their kid in the face, and I’m surprised people are defending that. Kate sucks, but so does Rebecca.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I really liked this episode.

I need more Nicky and Edie. They were funny as was Kevin and Cassidy's reaction to them. 

Kevin is a mess. I like that Cassidy calls him out on his shit. She's right about why they wouldn't work, but I wouldn't have minded if they did. I like her better than Sophie and while I do like Madison, I wouldn't buy Kevin having real feelings for her at this point.

Deja and Malik's plan is terrible, but I liked the dinner and Randall and Beth's "worst case scenario" game. 

The only Kate I can stand is child Kate. She's such a miserable person. The ending scene was moving though.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 16

For as much as Deja wants to look like an adult who's "wise beyond her years" she very much sounds like a kid making dumb teenage choices. She wants to leave her family so that she can live with her boyfriend and...get her GED? Gap year? Take classes at Harvard? That Power Point was a real mess, I am not totally sure what the plan is, and I don't think they do either. Randall was out of line telling Malik to dump Deja, that's a talk he needs to have with her not Malik, but he wasn't wrong that if Malik loves her so much he wouldn't go along with this plan, and if Deja was as mature as she says she is, she wouldn't be pulling this crap. Especially with the kind of smug bull headed self satisfaction that only a teenager can have. I did love all of Beth and Randall's reactions at dinner, they were trying so hard not just loose it. Deja and Malik can take several seats, even if they cant technically keep them apart, no way should Beth and Randall encourage Deja building her whole seventeen year old life around a boy. 

Instead of boring frustrating teen melodrama, cant we have more of Nicky and Edie? Those two are just flipping adorable, I would totally watch an episode of them just being sweet. I like Cassidy but she isn't wrong that she and Kevin are a bad relationship. Kevin's best bet is to meet someone else, he has too much baggage with any of his current love interests. 

Randall teasing Kevin over the phone about his serial monogamy was really funny, it reminded me of how much I prefer when Randall and Kevin get along to when the show focuses on their bickering. "You tried to have a one night stand and got twins."

That fight between Kate and Rebecca after her date was brutal, but I ended up surrendering to tears when they showed Kate and Rebecca playing piano over the years. Damn you...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 22
13 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

A parent is never justified in slapping their kid in the face, and I’m surprised people are defending that. Kate sucks, but so does Rebecca.

Eh, Kate is a 20-something calling her mom a slut because she went on a date.  I was fine with the slap.

14 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

When Deja was a freshman they let her date a junior with a kid. That was the time to strongly discourage that relationship, and they didn’t. What did they think would happen?

I have to think they thought the relationship would eventually peter out because Deja and Malik essentially exist in different realities.  I would have been like: "Oh hell no," when those two were spouting their garbage proposal for Deja to graduate early and move to Boston to live with Malik.  What do Malik's parents think of this idea?  What does the mother of Malik's child think of this?  Could it disrupt his custody arrangement?     

I did like the Kate/Rebecca piano playing montage.

Finally, the hair people must hate Miguel.  He always has the worst wigs. 

• Love 18
30 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Thank you.  I'm so sick of that being expected.  Anytime a daughter is angry and speaks her mind, it's obvious they are going to be slapped.  And the BS about all teenage girls being difficult.  A lot of them are also amazing.  We've seen Kevin be an awful teenager on many occasions, but he would never get that treatment (not that I want any of them to).  It's long past time for these stereotypes to be retired.

• Love 9

I think we don't see Annie much this season because she's film Shazam: Fury of the Gods. I don't know the excuse for the last five seasons though.

I wish Randall and Beth would have pointed out the logistics of Deja and Malik's plan:

So Malik, how do you plan on supporting another person on top of your daughter and school supplies?

Oh, Deja, you're planning to work? What viable skills do you have in that department?

Deja, have you thought about the fact that you're going to have to interact with Jennifer on a regular basis?

Between school, work, and taking care of Janelle, do you honestly think you'll have enough time for each other? Because its not going to be like the weekend you have.

What if you break up? Now, now, I know you're committed to each other now, but what would you do if you break up? Would you still together or would one of you move out? Deja, how would you support yourself on your own?

Finally, I would point out that, in spite being very driven and having a lot of adult experiences, they are still children. They're still at the point where they're discovering themselves. Likelier than not, they will grow into two extraordinary people who are incompatible with each other, and that's okay. They should give themselves the opportunity to grow as independent people. If their relationship is meant to be, then it will survive the distance.

I like Cassidy's talk with Kevin. Since it seems too late to introduce a new character, I am sadly rearing up for Sophie to be endgame. Madison's moved on, Cassidy's turned him down, and I can't imagine childfree Zoe wanted to coparent Kevin's twins. Maybe they'll bring Lane back...

Finally, as someone who grew up in a community where corporal punishment was the norm, I cheered when Rebecca slapped Kate for calling her a slut for trying to find some happiness after Jack's death. It makes me sad to think that that incident possibly compelled her to never dating again for another decade. In retrospect, Kevin was the only one of the triplets who actually encouraged his mother to move on to someone else.

• Love 24

I don't care what happens with Deja and Malik, especially since we know that in 2030 she's in med school and has a good relationship with Randall. Even watching Rebecca playing piano for the blind children is much more interesting to me than any Deja-related scenes.

Cassidy was the MVP of the episode for calling Kevin out on the way he approaches relationships. I hope she finds a nice local man to have sex with so she's not tempted to go there again with Kevin, especially if she's going to be involved with the construction of the dream house.

1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I liked Kevin giving Madison's boyfriend advice although it's kind of weird to order for food for someone without asking. I'm no expert on eating disorders though so maybe he was right.

Speaking for myself, I hate when people do that because that only leaves me with the options of either eating something I don't want or risk being perceived as an ungrateful jerk. And I would find it creepy and controlling if a man I was dating did that on a regular basis. When I say I don't want a smoothie, that means I don't want a smoothie.

I thought the padding on Hannah Zeile was really distracting, especially the facial prosthetics. I know this is supposed to be the period during which Kate gains most of her excess weight, but the actress is very petite with delicate features.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10

I liked Cassidy telling Kevin about a blonde and he didn't even know which one she was talking about. I really really hope they're not setting up a Sophie return. 

For some reason Harvard with a child and his own apartment Malik I expected more common sense. Really having your highschool girlfriend get her GED and leave her home to come move in with you? I guess he's looking for live in girlfriend to help him cook/clean/look after his daughter so he can study and do his school work.  He needs a nanny or child care, not a 17 year old. 

Deja's just insufferable. She doesn't know how lucky she was to get adopted by a family, who have done and treated her the way they have. She   wants to go at 17 and move with her boyfriend? Randall and Beth should say, "ok." How is she supporting herself? How is she paying for college? Let her go.

Kate deserved the slap, she was not wanting to go to college living at home with mom and calling her a slut for one date?

• Love 23

1. "We really need to get a new game" made me laugh
2. Cassidy taking herself out of the game was good.
3. Malik and Deja.... no, doing that is dumb - I imagine one or both of them realize that right before Deja is going to drop out. Maybe they have an argument, or Deja does a trial week up there and realizes she can't do it, she wants to learn, etc.
4. ANNIE! SHE LIVES! ...and apparently told knock knock jokes? Do we need a spinoff? This Is Annie!
5. Can the rest of the season just be Nicky eating dinner? First there was the hilarious dinner scene in the episode before the last one with uhhh whatever her name was, then we had this great dinner with Nicky and Edie
6. Hey, Kevin realizes that Madison will be/is moving on! He isn't reacting like a child!
7. The piano montage at the end was good.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Deja's plan made no sense. She claimed she would be graduating early, but then talked about taking her GED? If she is graduating early she doesn't need to take the GED?

I'm from Australia would you mind explaining to me what the GED means?

7 minutes ago, project90 said:

I'm from Australia would you mind explaining to me what the GED means?

If someone doesn’t graduate from high school, they can take a test to get a GED. It’s supposed to be equal to a high school diploma, but a lot of people look down on GEDs.

ETA: I thought it was Graduate Equivalency Degree, but Google is telling me it’s General Education Development.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

Graduate Equivalency Degree. If someone doesn’t graduate from high school, they can take a test to get a GED.

I thought it was her finishing high school early. Is there any difference to graduating and the GED? does it affect what you can do after school?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Artsda said:

Deja's just insufferable. She doesn't know how lucky she was to get adopted by a family, who have done and treated her the way they have. She   wants to go at 17 and move with her boyfriend? Randall and Beth should say, "ok." How is she supporting herself? How is she paying for college? Let her go.

That's what I keep thinking. Yes, she deserved a loving and stable family like everyone else, but teenagers with behavior issues usually don't have much luck finding a forever home. That's not to say she should be the perfect child to be "worthy" of her family (and I find her complete turnaround a little unbelievable), but she is throwing away a great opportunity. Malik is even more annoying. I'll give them credit; the scene where Malik says to Randall something like, "I won't tell Deja what you said because I actually care about your relationship," did sound like something some punk know-it-all teenager would say...but god that kid is annoying. I hope people are joking when they talk about a possible spinoff.

I learned a long time ago not to get attached to a Kevin love interest. They all kind of blur together. It would be nice (and more realistic with Kevin's character) if the show just ended acknowledging that some people don't have a "one true love" and that's not the end of the world.

Kate was being awful to Rebecca, but Rebecca didn't respond appropriately. But that's okay too...their relationship also feels real and well thought out. Not everything on this show does. 

• Love 14

Re Sophie, She IS returning. Besides having filmed in old age makeup already for scene not shown, WHY would they have her call him and Kevin realize he loved her still so much he felt he had to delete her number (but you never delete numbers on smart phone) You know he has to talk to her again and no matter what happens, friends or more, she'll be there later. She asked Dan since they are always together for big events, to be there. She said her scene wasn't shown yet but she hopes they are friends or more and maybe they'll leave it with her shown with Kevin and not saying more, not explaining (I would HATE that) I know she knows but time will tell. TIU would kill her if she talked although I think she is finished filming on V River. They started earlier than TIU by bar this year. I do think the "blonde" reference was about Sophie too and I think Cassidy knows if Kevin can't will himself to love Madison beyond caring about her a lot, it wont happen now. Sophie is his ghost, he needs to face it and see it it's real. Justin and a writer in interview in 2021 said he wanted her so much at funeral, thought he lost her and fell into bed with Madison and tried to make it better. He said he knows her "fiance" probably wont be shown and she probably didn't get married (I feel) but was very coy. He said he loved her only for 30 plus years and although he cared about other women, never fell in love with them. I think like Sophie or not, it has to be explored. The poor writing for her has been because of her other show, but hopefully since done with it now, they'll have a good episode. Let him find out she's free and make a decision.

Re Malik and Deja, i don't get the time spent on this, I don't see the major drama, unless they are hoping to get interest at the tail of the show to help in spin off. I want more of other children too and we haven't heard the Annie knock knock jokes in years because she was MIA for years! lol  Plus we all know Deja ends up okay in med school and pregnant, hopefully with someone who can love and support her. I am not vested she is going to wreck her life right now. The big drama with Randall is a bit over the top. He loves Deja but she is his project in a way, not to seem cold and he wants her to do what he wants her to do because she will turn out the way he imagines. Beth wants that too but knows teen hormones better. Randall was more focused at a young age. Showing the future again, doesn't make the drama now that interesting.

I loved Nicky as usual and Cassidy and Kevin were awful together I felt. The silly, "Don't take my hand" discussing obvious geographical issues to fill the episode, nothing personal against her but they are using scenes that could have been over the phone to stretch things. I can't get past they are 41 and acting like teens. Kevin was stunted in some ways but still. I hope he finds his path soon. There is a break but maybe later. I like he brought up her eating disorder again, forgotten a bit and I wonder if he brings her those fattening and unhealthy drinks not only to be nice but he knows she needs it. The actress is very thin too but they dress her in a way to show how thin, I never forgot how sick she was and could be. The make the other guy annoying because Kevin can dislike him easier as his kids replacement "dad" in a sense but I don't mind him. If Madison likes him, he's fine. Justin said Madison ends up happy no matter what which makes him happy.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

I enjoyed the peek into Nicky and Edie's relationship.  "She's been married three times and I have none. We're almost normal" or however it was that Nicky phrased it. It's so nice to see Nicky happy.   I'm glad Cassidy took herself out.  I like her, but more as a friend to Nicky and Kevin.   
When Kate was talking to Toby on the phone about telling Rebecca later, I had a momentary thought "is Kate sick and that's why we've never seen her in a flashforward."    20 year-old Kate, your mom met a guy on a speed date and had coffee (not even a muffin). She is NOT a slut.  I normally don't like scenes where parents slap their kids but sometimes you understand.   
Count me in as confused on the GED but graduating early.  Maybe Deja should move in with Malik and have to take care of Janelle and deal with Jennifer.  She would probably run back to Randall and Beth asking if she can come home.  

Two final thoughts:  Annie - you still exist!!!  I was so happy to see her and the relationship between Deja, Tess, and Annie.   
Last thought: I was hoping for a flashforward since it was the episode before the Olympics.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I enjoyed the peek into Nicky and Edie's relationship.  "She's been married three times and I have none. We're almost normal" or however it was that Nicky phrased it. It's so nice to see Nicky happy.   I'm glad Cassidy took herself out.  I like her, but more as a friend to Nicky and Kevin.   
When Kate was talking to Toby on the phone about telling Rebecca later, I had a momentary thought "is Kate sick and that's why we've never seen her in a flashforward."    20 year-old Kate, your mom met a guy on a speed date and had coffee (not even a muffin). She is NOT a slut.  I normally don't like scenes where parents slap their kids but sometimes you understand.   
Count me in as confused on the GED but graduating early.  Maybe Deja should move in with Malik and have to take care of Janelle and deal with Jennifer.  She would probably run back to Randall and Beth asking if she can come home.  

Two final thoughts:  Annie - you still exist!!!  I was so happy to see her and the relationship between Deja, Tess, and Annie.   
Last thought: I was hoping for a flashforward since it was the episode before the Olympics.

They did show promo for next show, did you catch that? Or did you mean, when they are much older? Probably wont do that until a few episodes in this Spring.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kili said:

If Malik loved Deja, he would want her to be everything she can be. Would her leaving home at 17 to move in with him and babysit his daughter and clean house make his life easier - yes it would. But he chose to make to his life harder than it needed to be and he shouldn't be stealing her best years to continue to allow him to be impractical. He should be willing to make some sacrifices himself. Look into transferring into the Philly area so that he regains his support system and can see the love of his life without expecting her to be a Mom and his caretaker at 17. 

For now, I'm going to believe that Malik transfers home to Penn (or Princeton, if TPTB think that not enough people know that Penn is Ivy/feel that Princeton is a better name). 

• Love 3