Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E01: Greatest of the Greats

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Well, that was . . . a beginning. I dunno . . . most times, I figure that the new season will get the icky taste of the old out of my mouth, and then it tastes bad in its own way.

Which do you think makes me seem more like a crazy person: my belief that the show did NOT gift Ben the win on his season? Or my belief that Probst may have influenced the players into voting out Natalie by bringing up how her twin sister Nadiya got voted out first in SJDS? Because back then, in the first Tribal Council, Probst brought up the Twinees' early ouster in TAR24, and Nadiya got the boot while John fucking Rocker was sitting right the fuck there.

Yeah, I'm probably reaching. Still, I can buy that Probst might be butthurt someone who started her "career" on TAR won his game. And I figure that while the firemaking challenge wasn't created just for Ben, I figured it was installed as a safety net in case a power player (*koff*male*koff*) didn't win final immunity. I get why Ben can bug, but I don't get the smoldering rage towards the guy. If he turns out to get "weird" around Russell Hantz? Then we get the tar and feathers.

Ethan's grateful to be back in the game? Huh. I must have missed that interview. Seriously, though, I'm glad he's up and about.

Sandra didn't get a vote as she held onto her idol. I got nervous because I will always defend her, and Game Changers dented her legacy. Island of the Idols basically glorified Rob over her, so I want to see her have fun. I'm thinking Natalie offered her the idol because they're non-Caucasian women. Or maybe Natalie is just a fan. Either way, I'm happy.

How much will Rob rampage once he finds out the missus got voted out? Amber probably didn't deserve it, but she was a safe choice. Of course, Edge of Extinction throws a spanner into the works. She and Natalie can wind up influencing the game harder than anyone did last year. And her fire token to Rob will probably be interpreted as a fish wrapped in newspaper.

Fire Tokens? Oy. I mean, that could be discontinued if it proves to be a bad twist . . . but has there been a recent format change where Burnett/Probst didn't double down on it?

I like the enthusiasm. Tony looked like he was going to piss himself on the boat. Speaking of him . . . when he was looking back at the other tribe while running, did anyone else think he might have been looking for hidden idols?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I thought it was smart on Natalie's part. She knew Sandra would give up her fire token for an immunity idol. 

Do Natalie and Sandra have any history/connection I am not aware of? Sandra seemed really upset/shocked that Natalie was voted out, and then Natalie picked her to get the idol.

I am bummed Amber got voted out, just because it sucks she was voted out because of her husband.  I kind of wanted to see her play again and do really well, because she never gets any credit for her win on All Stars. She would have had a better shot if she played and Rob stayed home with the kids, but obviously, CBS loves Rob.  OTOH, I really like all the alliances Yul was setting up. He seems to have done a lot of prep work.

I liked Rob/Parvati and the old school alliance too. I hated Parv on her first season, but at some point in Fans vs. Favorites I started liking her. I think it is the confidence. I also thought it was funny to see everyone bonding over the kids they had.

Did Sandra tell Rob she was playing and he lied and said he wasn't? Because I can see her being pissed if that happened. But if they just never talked about it, it seems hypocritical for her to be upset.

• Love 5

I had a pretty good handle on everyone competing except I was all "There was a Sophie? She won huh? Okay..." I admit, at the end of every reality tv season I purge my mind of any details pretty much but I still recognized everyone. Maybe not Kim... some I'm not happy I remember. Like Ben and Tony *eyeroll*

I despise Nat and her twinnie (ugh I can still hear that rattling around my brain) and was happy to see her voted off. Kinda sucks for Amber but someone's gotta go. Looks like they will have more to do than just sit around EoE all day this time.

Fire tokens? I'm on the fence. I'd love to have a six pack of cold beer were I on EoE though! Hopefully it gives people another strategic tool but these things always seem to go south and we quickly hate them.

I have to admit that for the first time in many a season I was just excited to see how this one will play out and I'm kinda psyched about it. That is with great "this is teevee" trepidation but for now I'm along for the ride. It seems to be an interesting concept at least. For once.

Or I'll be just as bitter and jaded as always in a few weeks.

• Love 15

Didn't care that Natalie got booted, but was bummed to see Amber being second. I never saw her play in All Stars, but I would have loved to see what she could do now. Being married to Rob is what did her in though. I'm not really familiar with some of the old school players, but seeing one of them win this season would be awesome to me.

• Love 4

With every new season for the past 20 years when there were only new players, I almost had to force myself to watch the first episode because it was all new faces and they struggled to get rolling.  By episode 2 or 3 it started to mesh for me.

The challenges tonight were new and entertaining and the players hit the ground running.  Game play strategies evolved quickly.  Oh how I love this 'chess' game of players and the characters..  

Regardless of what happened tonight, I loved it from the get go and for now, I'll leave the dissection of tonight's episode and resulting complaints to others.

And though I don't predict it or expect it, this season would be a really impressive way to end 40 seasons of my favorite TV show.  I surely hope that this possibility has no basis in reality.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

Didn't care that Natalie got booted, but was bummed to see Amber being second. I never saw her play in All Stars, but I would have loved to see what she could do now.

Back in the days of Mighty Big TV, Amber followed Jerri around all the time. Hence the nickname "Lamber."

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I had a pretty good handle on everyone competing except I was all "There was a Sophie? She won huh? Okay..." I admit, at the end of every reality tv season I purge my mind of any details pretty much but I still recognized everyone. Maybe not Kim... some I'm not happy I remember. Like Ben and Tony *eyeroll*

I despise Nat and her twinnie (ugh I can still hear that rattling around my brain) and was happy to see her voted off. Kinda sucks for Amber but someone's gotta go. Looks like they will have more to do than just sit around EoE all day this time.

Fire tokens? I'm on the fence. I'd love to have a six pack of cold beer were I on EoE though! Hopefully it gives people another strategic tool but these things always seem to go south and we quickly hate them.

I have to admit that for the first time in many a season I was just excited to see how this one will play out and I'm kinda psyched about it. That is with great "this is teevee" trepidation but for now I'm along for the ride. It seems to be an interesting concept at least. For once.

Or I'll be just as bitter and jaded as always in a few weeks.

Sophie looks much different since she is a blonde now. She won South Pacific (the Coach vs. Ozzy season).

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

So when Natalie got to EoE, who else was expecting Reem to pop out from behind a bush and start yelling at her?

I did laugh at Natalie's Reem-like charm when Amber showed up and she said "My tribe won? I was hoping they lost so bad." Like, hello to you too, Nat haha

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I almost didn't recognize Rob without his baseball cap on.  I always thought he was going bald, it turns out he's just going gray. 

He looks much older without the baseball cap.  That's a lot of grey.

Amber looks remarkably similar to when she played last.  I think Jeff was picking on her about her age (it's not like she's the oldest there) because she's the one who did her original survivor longest ago.  Ethan is the winner from Season 3 but Amber was in Season 2 and I think the youngest in that cast.  She was a baby.

• Love 7

I’m disappointed Amber is gone so quickly. I was very happy to see her in the cast, and looking forward to see how she would play on her own (at least until the merge), now that she’s older and wiser. Honestly, I would have rather seen Rob booted instead of her, and that’s saying a lot because...

For me, Rob and Parvati are the King and Queen of Survivor, and I’m thrilled to see them joining forces.  It would be stupid of the others to let them get much farther, but hey, it’s happened before.  Here’s hoping Ben isn’t the only one to be dazzled.

Questionable distractions aside (do we really need 2nd chances AND tokens, with this much star power?), I’m so happy to get my show back. This is exactly what I needed after some very problematic seasons.

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

It looks like Yul is setting himself up in a good position.  Hope that continues.

He's not only setting himself up well; he's recreating his previous game.  He's gathered the 4 unaligned misfits into a single alliance, with a woman he considers an intellectual equal as his primary ally.  They ain't exactly the Aitu4...but they're pretty close.

11 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Amber looks remarkably similar to when she played last.  I think Jeff was picking on her about her age (it's not like she's the oldest there) because she's the one who did her original survivor longest ago.  Ethan is the winner from Season 3 but Amber was in Season 2 and I think the youngest in that cast.  She was a baby.

If I read the Survivor wiki correctly, Amber is now the same age Tina was when Amber first played.

• Useful 4
  • Love 14

All I want after this first episode is for Ben to leave. All I can see when I look at him is a manufactured win.

Natalie is one of my favorite winners so of course she went first. I blame Ben.

As if I didn't hate Ben enough, what could've been a relatively painless (for me anyway) Rob first vote out was ruined by him blabbing to Rob immediately. Freaking Ben. Should be Devon or Chrissy playing this season instead of you. Have I mentioned I don't like Ben?

I also would've been ok with Adam going first. And I'm sorry Adam, but you're no Malcolm.

I love Yul and never had a problem with Sophie so that may be my new duo to root for.

In the first challenge, when it was one of the men rounds, Jeff was really excited about the four strong men, not commenting on the four strong women who went before them. Never change Jeff.

• Love 15

Never thought I'd say this but I'm officially over Sandra's act. She's just flat out annoying at this point. Queen doesn't remember she was a pre-merge boot the last time she played. And being mad at Rob is so absurdly contrived and fake. Ugh!

Really surprised/disappointed in Kim. About 45 minutes in I asked my wife "where's Kim? She's on this season, right?" Apparently she wasn't doing much, though I did think she perked up a bit at tribal.

Watching these old timers is like watching over the hill boxers having one last rematch. You still tune in but the magic is gone and it's sad to witness the toll of aging. 

Edited by Cutty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I think I might be in the minority so far.  I like Tyson, I wasn't ready to see Natalie go, and I don't mind that Amber was voted out.  I wasn't rooting against her or anything, but it really was smart of her tribe given that anybody loyal to Rob will probably be loyal to her, and he didn't get voted out when they had the chance so to them there's a good chance he's cooking something up over there. 

Can Tony and Ben please leave next? 

• Love 8

Ugh, Natalie. I can not look at her without hearing a screeching voice yelling TWINNIE!!!! They better not bring Nadiya on for the family episode.

I can't believe anybody suggested getting both Rob & Amber on extinction island, the last thing you want is those 2 people together.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

I can't believe anybody suggested getting both Rob & Amber on extinction island, the last thing you want is those 2 people together.

I can't believe they agreed to do it knowing they'd be auto targeted. That CBS money must've been worth it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Cutty said:

I can't believe they agreed to do it knowing they'd be auto targeted. That CBS money must've been worth it. 

Maybe since the prize is doubled, the money people get is too.

• Useful 2

Michelle,Ben, and Adam are probably my three least favorite winners. They can go anytime. I enjoy the rest of the cast. I’m so happy to see Yul again. Love a possible alliance with him,Wendell, and Sophie. It just sucks for me that I love Tyson too. They seem to be gunning for him. 

I feel bad for Amber being voted out so early after 16 years away from the game. I’m sure Rob will be on EOE with her soon. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fretful said:

So, even on season of returning winners, a woman of color is the first person voted out. Never change, Survivor.

Which honestly might not have happened if:

1. the group had been able to decide between Adam and Denise

2. Jeremy and Natalie weren't both seen as very good players strategically and physically with a pre-existing, very tight bond

So, yeah. If the group won't decide, you take out one of the tightly bonded pair. Since this is still the team-oriented phase and strength gets prioritized, they probably opted to vote out the woman rather than the man. (I'm not claiming this is in any way strategically or morally smart or correct, just that this is probably the reasoning.)

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m disappointed Amber is gone so quickly.

But she's not. She's on EoE, where she's actually of use to Rob.

Seriously, I hated EoE the first time around. I thought it was stupid to break the game by not getting rid of people who were voted out and potentially let them hang with and maybe influence jury members.

But now it's back and worse than before! Not only is the above still true, but they get to screw with the game still going on! That's right! In a season of previous players where so much ALREADY is affected by pre-existing relationships, you mean to tell me TPTB put in a dynamic to make those relationships even more important?

Sorry for the rant. I'm finding the structure frustrating.

I'll be interested to see how much of this season has to do with gameplay and how much is reliant on pre-formed social bonds.

Also, I am never telling Ben anything important. 

Edited by simplyme
ETA: Apparently that poker game Yul alluded to was Tyson, Rob, Kim, and Jeremy, which would be another reason for Rob to keep Jeremy over Natalie.
  • Love 13

I'm very curious to see Yul and Parvati interact after all these years. Their first season was the same (Cook Islands) one.  Friends or foes now?  I don't think they really cared all that much for each other the first time around. Remember Yul staying up all night in the hot tub basically babysitting Ozzy and making sure Parv didn't flirt info out of Ozzy? Good times.

But yeah, I wonder if there's any friendship now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

I think that Natalie chose Sandra to try to sell the Idol to becuase she was the biggest target and most likely to be willing to buy it.

Did anyone else notice that when they were doing the toast, it looked like Adam was looking at the bottom of the cup, like looking for a clue or something.

I'm happy that Denise finally did not have to go to tribal.

Did anyone else get sad when they saw Rudy and BB (RIP) in the clip of the start of Borneo?

Edited by kav
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Not me. Parv needs humbled. Rob already has

Yes I never got why people love Parvati and hate Russell Hantz.  To me they are two sides of the same cocky coin.

5 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Also: Tyson? Still not a fan.

Same here.

5 hours ago, princelina said:

For myself - I will enjoy EoE with all of these returning players in a way I never did or would with newbies.  Although when Natalie arrive on the beach, I did find myself thinking it would be funny if Reem popped out - with a big statue of her head included 😄 

If they had a statue of Reem or if she was there that would have made the season ten times better.  Reem, FTW!

5 hours ago, Souris said:

I am ALL about the Yul/Sophie and Yul/Wendell alliances. Calm, low-key people for the win!

I just want Michelle voted out. Still bitter she won instead of Aubrey.

I would like to have seen Earl play again.

I am still bitter over the Aubrey loss as well.

I go back and forth between who my favorite winner is between Yul and Earl.  Tonight Yul just reminded me why he was one of my favorite two.  He is just so damn logical, cool, and calm.

3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

If I read the Survivor wiki correctly, Amber is now the same age Tina was when Amber first played.

I was shocked when I read how young Tina was when she won.  I thought for sure she was in her mid-50's same with Denise.  I mean I am terrible at guessing ages (I thought Ben was in his 40's and then I found out he is like five years younger than me) but both of them looked a lot older than they actually were.

I understand why he was not asked back and I am not a fan of him at all.  But to me if you are going to do this season you need Richard Hatch on it.  I would also say Tina and Vecepia as well.  Tina for being the first woman to win, Vecepia for being the first African American to win.  Yes Tina is now the older and V was not very interesting.  But I would rather see them over say Michelle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

That was fun. It's going to be so interesting to watch this unfold as we already know there are big egos and tangled pasts. Plus the different successful playing styles are coming up against each other. 

I liked the moment cocky Tyson realized he wasn't going to be able to just stroll through this game. You could almost see his stomach drop as he stood there listening to the fact that people were talking about his not-at-all secret alliance that he'd just been bragging about in his TH.

And I get to watch some of my favorites- Yul, Jeremy, Sarah, Wendell and our local girl, Danni. Was glad she pushed back on Rob and didn't lie when confronted. 

• Love 7

That was... so.... dull. So dull. It was just a sea of people I didn't know prior to watching quite how much I never wanted to see play again, all saying, Well who do you think?, over and over. Even the witty ones like Nick and Tyson were dull.

I enjoyed the bit where Rob was turfing people over the rolling log like they were little sardines. I liked Parvarti and Rob teaming up, and not being targeted, ye gods. I liked Tony (who knew!).

Then Jesus, no-one went home, that stupid fire token thing, and boring Exile Island, as I am sure Jeff called it first tribal (or maybe I am hallucinating from the extreme dullness, ain't wading through that again to find out), aka in all other references and written signage (and sucking up a heap of airtime better spent elsewhere on dull explications and Natalie climbing a steep path we've seen before, etc) Edge of Freaking Extinction Again, and these tedious tokens coming into play there and undeserving entitled bores like Sandra getting an idol for sitting on her ass griping about Boston Rob owing her the full truth - on anything. Argh.

I was looking forward to it so much! Will obviously keep watching, and maybe it will pick up, but that was seriously underwhelming and disappointing.

• Love 4

What is it about Rob that makes everyone want to be his lackey?  They immediately come to him with information (Ben) or look to him to decide who is going.  Loved the scene with him and Parvati laughing about how incredulous they were that no one was talking about voting them out (with the knowledge that there was always a chance people were planning on voting them out) since they were the obvious choices.  I would love to see them pick off the newer winners.

It's interesting that out-of-game relationships will play a role in votes.  That's a new twist, a bit different from the Blood season.

The fire coin thing seems like an unnecessary complication, but we'll see how it plays out.

Eh, I think the Rob/Sandra war is producer driven to ramp up the drama.

I was surprised at Nat being voted out since she is so strong physically.  I like Amber but like Kim more, so that was ok.  Even all these years later I still have a huge crush on Yul.

• Love 4

I'm still processing the votes and strategies, but what I can't get over is WHY WAS THE MUSIC SO LOUD? WAS THE MUSIC ALWAYS THAT LOUD?? I swear, I had to turn on the captions and actually turn off the sound at various points because I just couldn't hear the dialogue anyway. I've seen every show of Survivor and don't ever remember this being a problem for such a long stretch of time and for so many scenes. Maybe it means I'm officially at the HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY BEACH level of fandom? No way I can listen to that level of music every week and not be able to follow conversations. Just me?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

There was a bit more talk about Tony’s… shall we say, exuberance? Wendell also said Tony went into speed mode on day 3, and Amber told him, “You were creating a target on yourself by the way you were acting.” To which Sarah replied, “Today was a wake-up call” for those who aren’t used to the new pace of the game. Tony got very upset that Amber called him out and then Sandra said Amber was not used to the pace and can’t keep up with Tony. (Yes, Sandra defending Tony. My how times have changed.) This subject concluded with Amber saying of Tony, “The way he operates just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.”

We saw a good chunk of this in the episode, and it really irritated me. Tony was talking about how he was all calm and relaxed, and Amber basically said "no you weren't" (which he wasn't). And this somehow turned into a lecture from Tony and Sandra about how "Amber needs to realize that the pace of the game has changed." She knows that, people, she was calling Tony out for his b.s.

Edited by tracyscott76
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Do Natalie and Sandra have any history/connection I am not aware of? Sandra seemed really upset/shocked that Natalie was voted out, and then Natalie picked her to get the idol.

Did Sandra tell Rob she was playing and he lied and said he wasn't? Because I can see her being pissed if that happened. But if they just never talked about it, it seems hypocritical for her to be upset.

They may have had a connection but if Nat had watched Sandra's seasons she would realize that Sandra is an opportunist to some extent. Also, if you have to give someone an advantage and you might get back in the game yourself, best to give it to someone that cannot win. Seriously, who is going to vote for Sandra to get a third win.

Sandra at some point last night said that Rob specifically said he wouldn't come back to play. i don't remember the exact words but I took it to mean that the convo did come up. That said, Sandra shouldn't be this pissed. Maybe now that Amber got booted to EoE she will focus.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LanceM said:

I don't think that was an example of Rob's svengali like powers but more that Danni is smart enough to knowing that lying to him on day one is not a good idea.

Ben on the other hand....

Ben is a fucking idiot. We knew he had limited game from his first season. Last night simply proved what we all knew, Ben is a fucking idiot. There was not reason to tell Rob bis name was being tossed out without being prepared to tell Rob who it was tossing out Rob's name. Why Ben would think that he would not be asked that question by any of the players I have no clue. All I can fall back on is that Ben is an idiot.

And we have to look at the stupid band-aid covering up his tattoo, again.

8 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I thought it was smart on Natalie's part. She knew Sandra would give up her fire token for an immunity idol. 

I hope they don't hide immunity idols on the islands. I want to see them all go crazy looking for one. 

I don't get the Ben hate. Yeah, he seemed to be handed his win but they had to provide Rob how many stabs at this game before they handed him the win.

Also....did anybody else root for the snake when it got attacked by the crab...anyone...anyone?

Natalie played that right. Honestly, anyone out there is going to spend a token for an idol but Sandra is guaranteed to buy it because Sandra knows she is a target and Sandra knows she sucks at challenges.

8 hours ago, Souris said:

I am ALL about the Yul/Sophie and Yul/Wendell alliances. Calm, low-key people for the win!

It was kind of weird seeing so many people being all “Who do you want to vote out? I don’t know, who do you want to vote out? I don’t know, who do you want to vote out?”

I just want Michelle voted out. Still bitter she won instead of Aubrey.

I would like to have seen Earl play again.

Seriously, how do you not vote out Boston Rob first? And then Sandra? (idol notwithstanding)

I find Tony the most annoying. He can go anytime.

I love Yul. I love that Yul immediately saw his in game weaknesses and tried to address them. I thought that was freaking brilliant. I love who Yul is trying to work with. I love Yul. I really, really love Yul.

Other thoughts.

It was interesting to see so many of the big personalities commiserating about how hard it is to be playing, even though they love playing, because they miss their kids. And none of it came off as BS. They were all legitimately in a place that they were a bit confused by.

Kim's reaction to being on the bottom was kind of awesome. She saw it what it was and realized how much different the game is when you are not running things. I think that she will adjust pretty quickly.

Tony is still Tony although he seems to intellectually know that he has to adjust his game. But you can see him physically struggling with that idea. It was kind of humorous. But he can leave right after Ben. Who is an idiot and awful player.

Why did they target Natalie and not Jeremy? Did we every get an explanation for that? I mean, Natalie is physically a bad ass and a pretty great player but I am not sure that she is more of a threat then Jeremy. Yet, I don't remember Jeremy's name being tossed out.

Tyson was less of an asshole then he normally is. Maybe he has grown up a bit more and maybe game respects game. He can go ahead and mock Ben all that he wants.

I loved that the initial vote outs were not about voting out the weakest. These folks get that physical ability is less important in this season. Look, no one wants to go to tribal but no one is pretending that there are not preexisting relationships and alliances that are more important to worry about. Everyone is clear about the Venn Diagram and that it crosses tribes. While they want to win and not go to tribal, they also get that some of these votes are less about tribe strength becaise tribal loyalty is going to mean squat during swaps and at the merge.

I love the feel of the game. All of these folks know that the game, well, not Ben, and are very good at it. They all have something to prove but there is a bit less pressure because they have all already won. No one is being targeted only because they won so their game play can be more natural.

I still hate EoE. I suspect that I am going to hate the fire tokens. But I am excited for this season.

• Love 18

Ah you guys, I unapologetically and unabashedly loved every minute of it!! Super disappointed I didn't get to watch at a premier party as planned (got a bad cold), but that is maybe for the best because I got a little teary at times.

Boston Rob and Parvati? The alliance I didn't know I needed until it happened. Ethan, happy and healthy and looking like a kid in a candy store to be playing again! Yul calmly kicking ass and taking names. Ben acting like the star-struck fan when we all expected it would be Adam. Danni handling Ben's blabbing perfectly. And I love Tyson and was on the edge of my seat thinking we were going to lose him the first night. I for one am glad he made it through and hope he can find a way forward.

So excited for next week!

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

It may have taken Rob four tries (let us not get into All-Stars and whether or not it should have really been two) but at least that win was still *his*. Ben's win was ripped from someone else and given to him.

Without that fire making twist, I'd bet dollars to donuts Devon had that won. And then Jeff had the gall to trot Devon out at the live finale and say "YOU WANTED TO EARN IT, RIGHT?" as though the 38 prior days of not relying on idols and, you know, playing Survivor wasn't earning it.

I say it every time, but I will never forget OR forgive Survivor for how dirty they did Devon that season.

Ben proved tonight how much of a crock that was with the way he acted with Rob. That was embarrassing. He won? Really?

I disagree that Rob "won" his last try. That season was so packed with sheep it was ridiculous. He also had plenty of time to perfect his manipulative skills.  I will give him kudos for learning  from each of his previous seasons whereas...Russell H. never did.

I still don't get why there is hate against Ben for his win.  The producers had a major role in making that happen but that's happened in other games as well in my opinion. We hate it but it happens.  I do agree that Devons was robbed.  He played the best game that season for sure and I blame the producers for his loss.

And yes, Ben showed how naive he is.  I do hope he seizes on that glimmer of self realization he showed last night and is the demise of Boston Rob. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I disagree that Rob "won" his last try. That season was so packed with sheep it was ridiculous. He also had plenty of time to perfect his manipulative skills.  I will give him kudos for learning  from each of his previous seasons whereas...Russell H. never did.

You can be placed on a tribe with all the sheep in the world, but you still have to know what to do with them. Rob won, and deserved to win.

This season, he's coming in with a bigger disadvantage than anyone else (save Sandra and Amber), and he still managed to finagle his way through the first vote. He's got skills.

18 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I still don't get why there is hate against Ben for his win.  The producers had a major role in making that happen but that's happened in other games as well in my opinion. We hate it but it happens.  I do agree that Devons was robbed.  He played the best game that season for sure and I blame the producers for his loss.

And yes, Ben showed how naive he is.  I do hope he seizes on that glimmer of self realization he showed last night and is the demise of Boston Rob. 

I think Chrissy is the one who was robbed. She played a great game and I think would have won. Devon looked smooth in his edit but I don't think he did half as much as he thought that he did.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Same here, re. Sophie, but I'd also add that I have NO recollection of Denise or Michele.  I even had to look up some of the "new kids" like Nick & Wendell to jog my memory.  I recognized Ben, but I was thinking "Huh...he actually WON?". And I have watched every single season.  

Tony and Ben need to go ASAP, but they won't go before some of the women get booted first, because that's the way Survivor universe works.  "Men strong like bull! Help in challenges! Girls are girls...not strong, no good athlete like MEN!"

I still love Rob.  I don't know what it is exactly. Even his first season when he was an unlikable snotty brat on Marquesas, I was rooting for him.  I think he has a gift of smarmy charm and manipulation with a touch of hypnotist magic.  

Sandra was a past favorite, but she has been drinking her own Queen Kool-Aid too long.  Enough with the "How DARE Rob not tell me his plans!" Bye, Queen.

Hi Yul!  You may not win this thing, but I hope you stick around for a long time.

My hate for Tony still burns bright.  But I have to say my searing loathing for Parvarti was suddenly calmed down when she and Rob were talking.  I could be on board for that alliance, but I still wouldn't trust her for a second.

• Love 8

This was the first time in 40 seasons that I've been bored watching Survivor.  It was just lots of people I already know and am already tired  of -- like Sandra. Show winners making rookie mistakes,  like Denise going off and "getting lost" with her new Malcolm or Jeremy and Natalie going down to the beach together to make sure everyone knows they're in an alliance that's probably going to be as loyal as Rob and Amber's.

So the Winners asked for Extinction, huh? I'm surprised.  If there was no EoE I would have voted out Amber* first just to send her home to her baby who has no way of grasping why her primary caregiver has suddenly, completely disappeared.  Thirty nine days isn't much to us but to a 10 month old, it's a death in the family.  

For me Survivor's most basic premise is a group of strangers dropped on an island knowing nothing about each other, trying to get along and not get voted out.  Voted out not over to another part of the game.  EoE changes it to "The tribe has suggested." 

Then there's so much strategy going on outside the game that I know nothing about and don't want to have to follow twitter or read spoiler sights to understand.  This just isn't my game anymore.

*Woops make that Parvati I would have voted out first -- she has the 10 month old.

Edited by JudyObscure
correction
  • Love 2

Denise is one of my favorite winners. She and Malcolm were a great team and played from the bottom the entire game. She was amazing.

Sofie, Michele, and Dani I don't remember.

Ben and Adam and Tony I remember but I wish that I didn't. They annoyed me in their first season. Tony annoyed me even more in his second season.

So I guess being annoyed/not remembering 6 of the winners is pretty good.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

This was the first time in 40 seasons that I've been bored watching Survivor.  It was just lots of people I already know and am already tired  of -- like Sandra. Show winners making rookie mistakes,  like Denise going off and "getting lost" with her new Malcolm or Jeremy and Natalie going down to the beach together to make sure everyone knows they're in an alliance that's probably going to be as loyal as Rob and Amber's.

So the Winners asked for Extinction, huh? I'm surprised.  If there was no IoE I would have voted out Amber first just to send her home to her baby who has no way of grasping why her primary caregiver has suddenly, completely disappeared.  Thirty nine days isn't much to us but to a 10 month old, it's a death in the family.  

For me Survivor's most basic premise is a group of strangers dropped on an island knowing nothing about each other, trying to get along and not get voted out.  Voted out not over to another part of the game.  IoE changes it to "The tribe has suggested." 

Then there's so much strategy going on outside the game that I know nothing about and don't want to have to follow twitter or read spoiler sights to understand.  This just isn't my game anymore.

Parvati has the 10-month old. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1