Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E01: Greatest of the Greats

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

The challenges made me realize how weak and repetitive the last bunch of seasons challenges have been.  They looked tough.  I think I read they are using challenges that have been used before, they must have reached back. 

Rob and Amber.  I don't think its fair to have them both on.  I think there was some talk around of last minute adds or switches and for some reason I think maybe Amber was put in toward the end?  As for why play at all (Rob, Parvati) I think when you are Survivor royalty and known so well there is a lot of pressure from Producers and Jeff to show up when they need you regardless. 

I don't know whether Amber has any game but the whole Rob/Amber thing really takes away from the fact that its all winners, all equal, no preset targets for being winners, oh except Rob/Amber.   It was a mistake to have them both.   Unless of course the whole Rob/Sandra thing is manufactured by production. 

Sandra, entertaining, emotional.  Didn't like her game much in terms of always getting to the merge with that "if it aint me I don't care" thing.  Didn't see steal someones shoes in her first season because they made her mad?  I think she might be a little miffed at Rob if that is true although I bet she's playing it up for production.  These guys know that production want drama.  Rob in turn knows to play up the Sandra thing when he realizes Amber is gone.  

Speaking of Rob and Sandra, doesn't look like they lost much weight out there at EoE?  

Yul saying he wasn't going to use his old game theory etc. way of playing broke my heart.  Please Yul, outthink these guys! 

Why vote out Natalie?  Sure she and Jeremy were a pair but Adam, Ben and ?  were a triplet.  I really wanted to see Adam go, he's just so weaselly somehow.  Did Jeremy and Natalie not see that they needed more people on their alliance of two?  Or did they think they were in alliance with Adam et al.?  

I don't think anyone would have not bought the idol.  

I wonder if Natalie gave her idol to Sandra because she things Sandra would be a good alliance if she gets back in the game.  That Sandra will last.  
Question, if  Natalie's idol was only good for 3 tribals - was that just to give away or does Sandra only get to use it for the next 2 or 3 tribals?  

Amber is only a threat if Rob is around.  So I guess they are planning on winning every challenge between now and a tribe swap or merge.  

I was disappointed with the way they went about figuring out who to vote out both times.  Either that or editing isn't catching the strategy.  

Rooting for the old timers.  

• Love 1

Minority opinion here, but I don't need to see Rob or Sandra on my screen again, ever. Although I've never particularly had anything against them, I'm just burned out. Talk about overexposure. Maybe it was the contrast between them and folks like Yul and Ethan who haven't, you know made a career out of Survivor (tm Tyson). It was nice to see at least a few people who haven't been on my screen for what seems like half of the 40 seasons.

Also, I'm not buying Sandra's alleged anger at Rob for not telling her about returning. Not for a minute. I'm not sure what her game is, but I'm sure it's a game. Possibly cooked up during their time together on S39. Or maybe it's her way to deflect her tribemates' questions about who they really want to vote out. It seemed like Sandra spent a lot of time during those initial group conversations bitching about how Rob had betrayed her and that he needed to go. Which was time during which she didn't have to answer, "So who do you want to vote out, Sandra?"

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TeapotWakeen said:

I'm still processing the votes and strategies, but what I can't get over is WHY WAS THE MUSIC SO LOUD? WAS THE MUSIC ALWAYS THAT LOUD?? 

Thank you!  I thought it was just me and my 41 year old ears, lol, or just my TV.  I actually noticed it during the last season too.  

I hated to see Natalie booted first (I love the twinnies) and was glad to see Amber go (can't stand her or Rob), but obviously it's hard to really care about anyone getting voted out when you know they're just over on EoE.  

Also, I still hate Ben and will forever blame him for the stupid rule change we're apparently stuck with now at the final tribal.  It will never be fair that the winner of that final immunity challenge doesn't get to vote out the person they want gone.

And like most of us here, I've never missed an episode in 20 years, but I swear I have no memory of Michelle.  When they showed the old clip of her, I couldn't believe she had played with Tai and Aubry, let alone won lol

• Love 3

Parvati and Rob had the funniest conversation on the beach, and Rob making it through the first tribal council proves he’s still crazy good at this game. However, his love for Amber is 100% Achilles heal, so when he finds out she was the first out, he’s going to screw up his game by getting overly emotional about it. I expect he will not make it anywhere close to the merge. 

I’m way over Sandra and her hurt feelings, but she too played the first days well by immediately and convincingly turning those hurt feelings to her advantage. 

I love Yul and Sophie and Wendell, so if they manage to run the game, I’m okay with that.  

• Love 13

Oh Yul. Be still my heart. I have loved him since his season and it was so nice to see him again. I hope he goes far. My husband gave me the side eye when I said "Yul is just so beautiful and perfect". 

I really like Natalie and I was so sorry to see, yet again, another ethnic woman go home at the first tribal council. 

• Love 17
10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Tyson also I wanted to go...I don't know if its genius and pathetic when he admited that he's made SURVIVOR  his career for the last 12 years. Nah, I take it back...its pathetic.

Really? Working for 39 days every few years and making enough money that you can do whatever you want for the rest of your life is pathetic?  Sign me up!

10 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't get the Ben hate. Yeah, he seemed to be handed his win 

Heh....sounds like you do get the Ben hate. Ben, in my opinion, is the one player this season who has no business being there. 

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I am bummed Amber got voted out, just because it sucks she was voted out because of her husband.  I kind of wanted to see her play again and do really well, because she never gets any credit for her win on All Stars.

Because she doesn't deserve any credit.  She did literally nothing to earn that win, other then attach herself to Rob.  I've seen people say that they're bummed Amber was voted out because they wanted to see how she would play without Rob but, the thing is, we did see it....we saw her play without Rob and she sucked.  She was voted out first.  And we can't really blame that entirely on the fact that her husband was also in the game because Rob was in the exact same position and he managed to have the right conversations with the right people and somehow kept himself out of the line of fire.  (Not to mention, I can't feel sorry for Amber getting voted out because of Rob when the only reason she's on this season in the first place is because of him.)

I'm not buying the Sandra/Rob feud.  That definitely struck me as something TPTB is asking them to play up just for the sake of a storyline.

• Love 14

I was sooo annoyed when we found out Edge of Extinction was back, it was truly the dumbest of all Survivor gimmicks. But it seems like they're at least trying to give it some kind of use this time at least. I don't really understand how the fire tokens and menu and opportunity to get back in the game are going to work yet, but it should be so much better than just leaving the game action several times per episode to watch miserable people complain while they sit on an empty beach bored out of their minds.

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Can somebody explain why Ben is so hated, and what the producers did to "give him a win?" I watched his season but I don't remember much of it. He seems like a decent dumb/affable guy though so I'm surprised to see so much hatred toward him.

Quick version, Ben, Chrissy and Devon were in the final 3 where Ben was definitely going to be voted out. Then, suddenly, after all these years, at the last second TPTB decided they were going to change the rules and instead of letting the final 3 vote someone off (which is the entire basis of Survivor) they decided to make it a fire-making challenge instead so Ben would have a chance.  It was bull and I'm still so bitter lol!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
3 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

Anyone know why Jenna didn’t come back? I really would have liked to see her interaction with Ethan. 

Jenna has had struggles with substance abuse in recent years; as was the case with Todd, the consensus is that the producers did not want to put anyone in recovery at risk of relapse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Quick version, Ben, Chrissy and Devon were in the final 3 where Ben was definitely going to be voted out. Then, suddenly, after all these years, at the last second TPTB decided they were going to change the rules and instead of letting the final 3 vote someone off (which is the entire basis of Survivor) they decided to make it a fire-making challenge instead so Ben would have a chance.  It was bull and I'm still so bitter lol!

Hitting the like button cannot possibly cover how much I love this response.  You are 100% correct and I join you in your bitterness! lol

3 minutes ago, lostmydamnmind said:

Interesting, so many comments on Amber leaving her kids, but none about Tyson doing the same. I wonder why that is?

I can honestly say I don't care about any of these people's kids, where they left them or who with lol.  But I get your point.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Because she doesn't deserve any credit.  She did literally nothing to earn that win, other then attach herself to Rob.

I'd say there's still some skill to being the better option. Just because you're paired with someone who's ticked off everyone, you still have to not upset the balance and keep yourself as the better option for the final two (or get voted out yourself before you even get to the final). It's not the most active game, granted, but I don't think it's correct to say that "she did literally nothing to earn that win".

15 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I've seen people say that they're bummed Amber was voted out because they wanted to see how she would play without Rob but, the thing is, we did see it....we saw her play without Rob and she sucked.  She was voted out first.  And we can't really blame that entirely on the fact that her husband was also in the game because Rob was in the exact same position and he managed to have the right conversations with the right people and somehow kept himself out of the line of fire.  (Not to mention, I can't feel sorry for Amber getting voted out because of Rob when the only reason she's on this season in the first place is because of him.)

Except Rob had allies who stuck with him, while Amber had...Tyson, who flaked at the first opportunity. All credit to Rob for escaping the vote, but Amber had a harder group to work with, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Can somebody explain why Ben is so hated, and what the producers did to "give him a win?" I watched his season but I don't remember much of it. He seems like a decent dumb/affable guy though so I'm surprised to see so much hatred toward him.

Ben did not play a great game. He was going to be the next one voted out when he started finding idols and winning immunity. He lost the final four imunity and Chrissy was going to be voting him out. Instead she got an "advantage" which let her choose who to take to the final three but the other two would fight for the third spot in a fire making challenge.

Ben had a back story that made it hard for him to lose if he made it tot he final. He is an Iraq War Vet with PTSD who had some issues at camp when the fire made popping sounds and the like.

So he was a mediocre player with a great back story that was guaranteed to earn him votes who started finding idols and winning at just the right time. Then when he lost and could not use an idol, there was a new twist that would probably take him into the finals.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Do Natalie and Sandra have any history/connection I am not aware of? Sandra seemed really upset/shocked that Natalie was voted out, and then Natalie picked her to get the idol.

I am bummed Amber got voted out, just because it sucks she was voted out because of her husband.  I kind of wanted to see her play again and do really well, because she never gets any credit for her win on All Stars. She would have had a better shot if she played and Rob stayed home with the kids, but obviously, CBS loves Rob.  OTOH, I really like all the alliances Yul was setting up. He seems to have done a lot of prep work.

I liked Rob/Parvati and the old school alliance too. I hated Parv on her first season, but at some point in Fans vs. Favorites I started liking her. I think it is the confidence. I also thought it was funny to see everyone bonding over the kids they had.

Did Sandra tell Rob she was playing and he lied and said he wasn't? Because I can see her being pissed if that happened. But if they just never talked about it, it seems hypocritical for her to be upset.

I was bummed Amber was back. Hell, I was bummed she was on All Stars because she did not do anything in her Australia season. And she didn't do much in All Stars. She won because Rob sacrificed his game for her. He stabbed people in the back in order to protect her position when she was on a different tribe. She did nothing to earn that win other then fall in love with Rob or start falling in love with Rob.

I am not a huge believe in Bitter Juries but that was a bitter jury.

We saw her level of game play last night. She had no clue that she had to get out there more quickly and felt overwhelmed with the pace of the game. She lives with Rob who has played the game 4 times and mentored a season and she had no clue how to play. It was a pathetic showing at best.

I suspect that she is only there because it was the only way to get Rob on the season.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'd say there's still some skill to being the better option. Just because you're paired with someone who's ticked off everyone, you still have to not upset the balance and keep yourself as the better option for the final two (or get voted out yourself before you even get to the final). It's not the most active game, granted, but I don't think it's correct to say that "she did literally nothing to earn that win".

Except Rob had allies who stuck with him, while Amber had...Tyson, who flaked at the first opportunity. All credit to Rob for escaping the vote, but Amber had a harder group to work with, in my opinion.

LOL Tyson who flaked on Rob at the first sign of trouble in Villains vs Heros. I mean, Amber should have known better, Kima and Tyson figured out the problem and understood that it weakened them and tried to do something about it. Amber just sat there.

• Love 7

Parvati and I are nothing alike, but I totally got the bonding over kids conversations thing. Before kids you had to find something else in common, after kids anyone can relate.

I figured that Amber had to go. One of them had to go. You can't have two people who obviously will never separate in the game (or hopefully ever). I get that people do form bonds with strangers within the game, but part of the game is hoping that they have your back and gaining that trust. Rob and Amber don't have to worry about each other. As Rob said, it was pretty hypocritical of him to vote out one half of a pair. 

I don't think the players yet know how the voted out players can affect the game which does add another layer of strategy to the game. I'm still not convinced playing with the rules is a good or bad thing. After all, they're all winners, why not mix it up?

• Love 2

I loved it. Yes, there are always going to be countless nit-picks-- Edge of Extinction, obviously, some of the editing choices based on what we know now was cut from the episode, a few casting decisions-- but I felt that the episode delivered. The tone was celebratory-- which, at least for the first episode, was the right tone to strike-- without being self-congratulatory, and the series, at its best, has earned this as a victory lap.

Thrilled to see the Sophie - Yul - Wendell - Nick alliance come together; as others have said, it isn't anything I knew I wanted to see, but I'm in. It allowed Yul to find a way to get his footing in the game, which was one of my main concerns, and it got me invested in three other players I was otherwise indifferent toward.

Loved seeing Danni's pragmatic social game on display so quickly; she knew exactly how to handle the situation with Rob in a way that defused his volatility and potentially turned it to her own advantage. Such an underrated winner, and I hope she's able to correct that this season.

I appreciated that, unlike on previous returnee seasons, the editing leaned into the significance of pre-existing relationships. That was unavoidable with the casting of both Rob and Amber-- and it's sad that we didn't really get a chance to see her play without him, but surely they both knew that was a risk coming in-- but the "poker alliance" figured prominently in the decision-making, and of course Yul had done his homework on that front.

It was jarring to see Kim completely out-of-position and struggling, but I also think she's fully capable of changing that. It was also wonderful to see how enthusiastically Ethan embraced the modern game; it remains to be seen if he's good at it, but he sure seemed eager to give it a go.

Ben was the only one who seemed completely out of their depth; he's a bottom-tier winner and not someone I would have cast, but maybe he'll realize his early mistakes and get it together. Even Adam, who I also would never have cast for this, was able to course-correct and move the target off of himself and Denise and onto Jeremy and Natalie, neither of whom had a good read on the social dynamics in their tribe.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

LOL Tyson who flaked on Rob at the first sign of trouble in Villains vs Heros. I mean, Amber should have known better, Kima and Tyson figured out the problem and understood that it weakened them and tried to do something about it. Amber just sat there.

That we saw. She understood the problem just fine and probably pleaded her case as well. It just didn't work out for her.

And Tyson didn't flake on Rob at the first sign of trouble on HvV. He changed his vote to try to get Parvati out instead of Russell. He never turned against his alliance with Rob.

I just don't understand the venom directed at Amber. We didn't see Michele do a whole lot in her season either, but her win is often defended against the "Aubry should have won" crowd.

Edited to clarify that I don't think Michele shouldn't have won over Aubry. Just making the comparison to the attitude toward her win vs. Amber's.

Edited by tracyscott76
11 hours ago, Souris said:

I just want Michelle voted out. Still bitter she won instead of Aubrey.

I would like to have seen Earl play again.

Rare Michele fan here...I was not a big Aubrey fan, but more than that, I felt that Michele played an excellent low-key game, and won immunities when it counted most for her.  I especially adored that she won the game after Nick and Neal flat out insulted her intelligence at the FTC.  She wavered and got emotional but she didn't let them break her.

I really miss Earl, too.  He and Yul together?  That could've been incredible.

5 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I understand why he was not asked back and I am not a fan of him at all.  But to me if you are going to do this season you need Richard Hatch on it.  I would also say Tina and Vecepia as well.  Tina for being the first woman to win, Vecepia for being the first African American to win.  

Breaks my heart that Vecepia wasn't even asked, and she would've played if she had.  That's kind of unforgiveable, IMO.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, tracyscott76 said:

That we saw. She understood the problem just fine and probably pleaded her case as well. It just didn't work out for her.

And Tyson didn't flake on Rob at the first sign of trouble on HvV. He changed his vote to try to get Parvati out instead of Russell. He never turned against his alliance with Rob.

I just don't understand the venom directed at Amber. We didn't see Michele do a whole lot in her season either, but her win is often defended against the "Aubry should have won" crowd.

She admitted that things were moving fast for her and complained that Tony started bouncing around talking to everyone after they lost. While we can all see that Tony plays too hard, the fact is she observed people playing harder then she was and did not seem to make a real attempt to get involved. I am sure she did something that we didn't see but I don't think that she did all that much.

Sandra and others mentioned that she was not up to the pace of the game. Now it is possible that those comments were convenient observations for voting her out but I would think that a slow moving player would normally be someone that you would want to keep.

Her connection with Rob was obviously problematic but her lack of game play has been on display in two other seasons, I am not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she upped her game seriously and that was hidden from us.

5 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Rare Michele fan here...I was not a big Aubrey fan, but more than that, I felt that Michele played an excellent low-key game, and won immunities when it counted most for her.  I especially adored that she won the game after Nick and Neal flat out insulted her intelligence at the FTC.  She wavered and got emotional but she didn't let them break her.

I really miss Earl, too.  He and Yul together?  That could've been incredible.

Breaks my heart that Vecepia wasn't even asked, and she would've played if she had.  That's kind of unforgiveable, IMO.

I would have loved Earl and Vecepia being asked back. I think Earl played an amazing game and Vecepia played a more subtle game that took advantage of the other tribes weaknesses.

• Love 8
Just now, ProfCrash said:

She admitted that things were moving fast for her and complained that Tony started bouncing around talking to everyone after they lost. While we can all see that Tony plays too hard, the fact is she observed people playing harder then she was and did not seem to make a real attempt to get involved. I am sure she did something that we didn't see but I don't think that she did all that much.

Sandra and others mentioned that she was not up to the pace of the game. Now it is possible that those comments were convenient observations for voting her out but I would think that a slow moving player would normally be someone that you would want to keep.

Her connection with Rob was obviously problematic but her lack of game play has been on display in two other seasons, I am not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she upped her game seriously and that was hidden from us.

I won't try to argue that she upped her game "seriously" but I don't think it's correct to say she "just sat there" either. She had an uphill battle with a handicap that Tyson and Kim didn't have, and she lost.

But I'm gonna move on now and just be glad that I can root for the Sophie/Yul/Nick/Wendell alliance now that they don't have to target Amber anymore.

If Tony had bottled up all the energy he normally would've expended running around the island and put that towards building the shelter, he could've rivaled the 10-room mansion that Boston Rob "built" on Island of the Idols.

Not a Tony fan, but I did find it funny that he was working so very hard at not taking off like a kid in a candy store.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

If Tony had bottled up all the energy he normally would've expended running around the island and put that towards building the shelter, he could've rivaled the 10-room mansion that Boston Rob "built" on Island of the Idols.

Not a Tony fan, but I did find it funny that he was working so very hard at not taking off like a kid in a candy store.

Tony drives me crazy but at least we know that he is actually just being Tony. That is who he is. Even when he tried to reign it in he can't. He is like the poster child for adult ADHD.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

I know it’s an UO but I didn’t mind Ben’s win. There were so many loathsome people in that game he seemed pretty genial in contrast. However, immediately falling into the Cult of Rob was just dumb.

I wish Earl had played again too. 

• Love 11

This season has stressed me out majorly. I watched the shoe religiosly up until HvV then lost interest, and over the last year I've been binging the seasons I missed and then was able to get into Island of the Idols in realtime. It's similar to a returning players season in that I have people I can't stand (Tony, Denise) and people I love (Rob, Amber, Yul, Parvati, Sandra, Tyson) and everyone else is just kind of there as filler.

Knowing that my faves were in danger just meant it was two hours of anxiety. I'm okay with Natalie going because I've never felt connected to her, but Amber going was painful. Especially given how emotional she was when her team won the first immunity, and Rob's looks at her during the challenge. I love them both so much. I hope that Amber being voted off is what kicks Rob into high gear and I hope Amber is able to get off of Extinction at some point, or if there's some way that she's able to help Rob get further in the game from the Edge using the advantages. It would be a good story for her to keep fighting and being like his guardian angel or something even though they're separated.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I would have loved Earl and Vecepia being asked back.

5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I wish Earl had played again too. 

AFAIK, Earl was on the short-list and did get called.  But IIRC, he and his partner recently had a baby and I think there might have been some minor issues in the pregnancy, so Earl didn't think it would be a good idea for him to leave his family at the time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

And like most of us here, I've never missed an episode in 20 years, but I swear I have no memory of Michelle.  When they showed the old clip of her, I couldn't believe she had played with Tai and Aubry, let alone won lol

My exact reaction!! 

16 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

That goes for grandparents, too, who. by the way, I feel very sorry for, for  having  24 hour  care of all these children for 39 days.  I'd rather be on Edge of Extinction myself.

Seriously! 

12 minutes ago, Valerie said:

This season has stressed me out majorly 

The tension is already so high. Thank goodness we don't have to spend any time getting to know people. (Other than Michelle). You know it's not just us when many of the veteran players are looking shell-shocked, like Kim, discovering after all this time what being on the outside feels like, and not liking it one bit. 

I'm prepared for an exciting but cutthroat season. 

But I have to laugh at how people, as usual, are taking Sandra's word for things. This is why she's already won twice. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

AFAIK, Earl was on the short-list and did get called.  But IIRC, he and his partner recently had a baby and I think there might have been some minor issues in the pregnancy, so Earl didn't think it would be a good idea for him to leave his family at the time.

Yes, that's correct. All intel is that Earl was asked but wasn't able to commit because he just had a baby born prematurely. I haven't read any updates on his family since those initial casting spoilers, though, so I hope everyone is healthy and thriving. I also hope he'll still get another shot someday.

It's absurd that Vee wasn't even asked. I get why, say, Brian Heidik wasn't-- but part of me would love love love to see that raging sociopath play again-- but Vee has never seriously been in the running time return. Neither has Chris Daugherty, who had one of the all-time best end-games and FTC performances. It's a shame that the producers short-shrift so many early players who weren't necessarily flashy in their gameplay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

But Rob didn't walk into this game with those allies, he made that happen during the game.  The main person who he bonded with was Parvati and those two were most definitely not allies.  If I recall correctly, Parvati was instrumental in getting Rob voted out last time he played.

43 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Tony drives me crazy but at least we know that he is actually just being Tony. That is who he is. Even when he tried to reign it in he can't. He is like the poster child for adult ADHD.

I'm an oddball because Tony has never bothered me.  I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a Tony fan but his antics tend to amuse me rather than annoy me.  I mean, that underground spy shack he tried to build last time was hilarious!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

Go Yul! 

Hope Rob gets voted out ASAP so I don't have to hear Probst wax quixotic about him in every challenge. 

Why do I feel EOE is going to (again) result in infuriating lameness. 

I'll be watching, but the currently airing "Australian Survivor: All Stars" blows this show away in every aspect.  (If anybody wants a link, PM me.)

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Because she doesn't deserve any credit.  She did literally nothing to earn that win, other then attach herself to Rob.  I've seen people say that they're bummed Amber was voted out because they wanted to see how she would play without Rob but, the thing is, we did see it....we saw her play without Rob and she sucked.  She was voted out first.  And we can't really blame that entirely on the fact that her husband was also in the game because Rob was in the exact same position and he managed to have the right conversations with the right people and somehow kept himself out of the line of fire.  (Not to mention, I can't feel sorry for Amber getting voted out because of Rob when the only reason she's on this season in the first place is because of him.)

This is perfect - I would only add that she should not have been on All Stars in the first place.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I won't try to argue that she upped her game "seriously" but I don't think it's correct to say she "just sat there" either.

One of the guys on her tribe did say it last night though - something like "Amber's not running around trying to talk to anyone, she's just sitting there" 😄 I remember because I said, "Surprise surprise" to Mr. P

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, princelina said:

This is perfect - I would only add that she should not have been on All Stars in the first place.

Even though I absolutely adore Rob and would defend him to my dying breath, he shouldn't have been either. Amber went further in her season and made the jury, he didn't. I think he made All Stars strictly for his Godfather comment. 

My parents went overseas for a lengthy trip (way back in the early 70's before cell phones) when the three of us were all under the age of four, and my grandparents took care of us. Unfortunately, the chicken pox hit and my mom had to come home early. My dad stayed behind in Europe of course. No sense in both of them missing out on the fun.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Parvati and Rob had the funniest conversation on the beach, and Rob making it through the first tribal council proves he’s still crazy good at this game. However, his love for Amber is 100% Achilles heal, so when he finds out she was the first out, he’s going to screw up his game by getting overly emotional about it. I expect he will not make it anywhere close to the merge. 

I have to admit I'm unreasonably excited to see Rob's face at the next IC when the tribe walks in and Rob see's Amber isn't there.  Will he keep the poker face, get pissed, give Sandra the stink eye or keep cool but vent it all in a talking head?  As much as I don't want this to be the Rob/Parvati/Sandra season I am looking forward to the screen time Rob might get for his reaction.

Tyson please don't make me like you - I'm very comfortable rolling my eyes at that fact that you're even a contestant and you have to go and share something cute and sweet with the "My kids and I made a daisy chain to count down the days" remark.

Yul is still a handsome devil and I'm happy to see him go as far as he can.  Ethan too because he's pretty nice and chill but I wonder if he's mellowed to the point where it's too much nice not enough game play or if he's holding back.  Other than that there was too much going on, too many people; pretty much like the first episode of any season where even though we know these people (some more than others) it's too soon to see who is going to stand out, who really has their game play and alliance's going and who is going to crash and burn early.

Also how did half of Sandra's tribe fall for her "I heard so and so throw out your name for the vote" ploy?  Have they never seen her play before?  She is the last one they should be trusting to tell them the truth especially when it's about something that keeps her in the game.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, RescueMom said:

Ah you guys, I unapologetically and unabashedly loved every minute of it!!

Me too Rescuemom, me too. I didn't remember who everyone was, like I swear I have never seen Michelle or Denise before in my life!

• Love 7

Thank you Survivor for showing a throwback clip of Denise because I honestly couldn't remember who she was for the life of me or that she even won, even though I actually watched her entire season. (Admittedly, I don't know who Danni and Sophie are, but I didn't watch their seasons. Sophie looks slightly familiar, so maybe I watched her season, but again, not very memorable, I guess). 

I thoroughly enjoy Ben showing how incompetent he is. I don't know what's more embarrassing, him blabbing to Boston Rob, or whatever those tattoos are that he's got on his legs. What are the chances he'll manage to conveniently find HII again and again and again and again and again?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I still love Rob.  I don't know what it is exactly. Even his first season when he was an unlikable snotty brat on Marquesas, I was rooting for him.  I think he has a gift of smarmy charm and manipulation with a touch of hypnotist magic.

Not only did I loathe Rob and Sean on Marquesas more than anyone I have ever loathed, the one thing I wanted more than anything was for them to left behind on the island, never to be heard from again.  

And then Rob went on All-Stars five seasons later and built a shelter, and I fell in love and have spent 32 seasons resenting him for it, while simultaneously rooting for him at every turn.

Also, in a picture they posted on Twitter last night Amber was wearing her “I heart Rob” shirt, which I found adorable.  Also also she has four children and except for a little belly, she looks essentially the same since Australia and what’s up with that?

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Also, poor Tyson, wahhhhh. "I can't work a 9 to 5 job like everyone else". Well, I can't do it either, but I do cause like, adulting.

All these parents crying over missing their children made me even more glad I'm childfree (I was already riding a childfree-high after returning from Disney World last week. Best birth control ever).

• LOL 13
  • Love 8

It was nice to hear Tyson say he appreciated Survivor because it allowed him to live how he wants to live. I know plenty of folks who would be perfectly happy to not have to work a regular job, myself included. So I am fine with Tyson owning up to the fact that he has been able to parlay his Survivor experience into a life that he loves.

He has done more then play Survivor. He has a Podcast with Rob C. now. I am assuming that Tyson receives some type of income from those podcasts.

If I am remembering correctly, Tyson was a professional bike racer, or aspiring bike racer, when he first played.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, albinerhawk said:

I don't think the players yet know how the voted out players can affect the game which does add another layer of strategy to the game.

It was done before in the last Edge of Extinction, so not really a new layer.  Sandra even guessed.

Man did I love this premiere!

Not thrilled about EoE, but I think with all those winners/fan favs, it's a good idea.

I have always liked Yul. I was disappointed every time the show would bring back past players and he was not one of them. I was thrilled he was on this season, and he did NOT disappoint so far. He's so freaking smart; while he may not have kept up with the show after his season, he clearly has studied the past winners and other stuff prior to the start of the season. Brilliant to know about this poker alliance. Wether the alliance is real or not, it's a very good reason to get rid of people first.

I know people are tired of hearing about Rob, but I love him. And man... He's still a work horse. The way he propelled all the women over that rolling log, it was impressive.

Never really been in love with Pavarti. Gotta say, her alliance with Rob is exciting. I just hope she is not going to black widow him. I think Rob is smart enough to know what her game is, and to be on his guard with her.

I was amazed and shocked that Rob and Sandra were still standing at the end of this episode. I mean, how do you not get rid of them first? How? I don't know how Rob managed to get the heat off his back, especially since he pointed out Jeremy and Nathalie's bond. On the other tribe, getting Amber out made sense (as it takes away one of Rob's ally) but I still would have gone for Sandra first. Or Tony. Man he's annoying.

It was so funny to see Ben being such a start struck fan. I expect he'll snap out of it and start playing the game for real very soon.

So thrilled to see Ethan! He's played the game so long ago, so much has changed, he's almost like a newbie at this game.

It's also very interesting to see the old school players vs the new school players. Definitely rooting for the old school players! It will be fun to watch how the two style of play evolve/remain the same/mix.

• Love 15