Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Triple P said:

Xiomara is Jane's mom on "Jane the Virgin". Not that the Duggars would watch that show.

It’s a really pretty common Hispanic name.  I’ve got a cousin married to a Xiomara whose family originally came from Puerto Rico.  I can’t see a Duggar using a ‘furrin’ name though, especially one associated with those heathen Catholics.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It’s a really pretty common Hispanic name.  I’ve got a cousin married to a Xiomara whose family originally came from Puerto Rico.  I can’t see a Duggar using a ‘furrin’ name though, especially one associated with those heathen Catholics.

No Lort-ess then?

• Love 1

Hmmm... For some reason I cannot play the message. Maybe God does not think I am worthy enough to be able to see the video. I do chuckle at the one comment about Kendra being a mature 19 year old. Really...mature...I have warts on my body who are more mature, but this is not the time and place to get into that.

Edited by bigskygirl
On 1/20/2018 at 2:45 PM, Fuzzysox said:

When the show was  on the board I belonged to we called her Kendah. lol I had never heard that name until GND.

I think they will go with a cutesy name that won't age well. I doubt Kendra will go too deep for a meaning on her baby's name. Erin is naming her new baby Everly which I think is interesting. Alyssa is going with Zoey. Out of the two names I like Everly better.

My hate for the name Everly is strong enough to cause me to request a password reset so I could finally log in again and rant about that name. It is the new tryndi name, sometimes spelled Everleigh, so I'm not in the least surprised that Erin Bates is using it. Two moms of my acquaintance in the same town named their baby girls that in the last couple of years, and I've heard about another one (one of my mom's friends' grandchild) born around the same time, so I predict that Everly/leigh is the new McKenzy/McKynzie and there will be tons of them in kindergarten in a few years. We can probably thank this pint-sized Youtube/Pinterest celebrity for the trend:

http://www.instyle.com/news/everleigh-soutas-ava-foley-model-bffs

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 10:29 PM, yogi2014L said:

I always think of Kendra from the girls next door! haha

I think of Kendra the Vampire Slayer from Buffy.

My dad insisted I be named after his favorite song and my middle name the name my great-aunt favored which saved me from mom's choice of Zelda Caroline.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 6:42 PM, queenanne said:

thought i remembered that also, which was very disorienting as I'd already fixed the prior pronunciation in my mind and felt all smug about doing so, lol.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:42 PM, queenanne said:

was once told "Ashleen", like "Eileen", but then that doesn't make much sense, because then I don't know why the latter wouldn't be spelt "Eisling" (or maybe, in some circles, it is!). 

There are regional dialects in Ireland, just as everywhere else. The pronunciation of given names just follows the dialect like any other word. The main vowel sound in own name sounds completely different when southerners say it. Come to think of it, that’s also true of the French pronunciation of my name.

tl;dr Many names are pronounced a bit differently in different regions of Ireland. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Fuzzysox said:

When the show was  on the board I belonged to we called her Kendah. lol I had never heard that name until GND.

I think they will go with a cutesy name that won't age well. I doubt Kendra will go too deep for a meaning on her baby's name. Erin is naming her new baby Everly which I think is interesting. Alyssa is going with Zoey. Out of the two names I like Everly better.

I was disappointed about Zoey. Because until that name I thought maybe Alyssa was picking using letters from her own name A for Allie, L for Lexi, I was waiting for to announce a Y name. 

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 11:34 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I really had no idea there were so many X names!  That kind of shoots my wish (for a small herd) all to hell.  Oh well.  It's been many moons since I had to choose a name for my one and only kid.

I did wish, as a kid, for a common name like Linda, Kathy, Susan, Debra, Barbara, etc.  It's probably akin to wanting straight hair when one has curly (that was me too.)  It's nice to get more of a "roll with it" attitude as one ages, for sure.

I like this one:  Xochitl  The gal I went to school with who had this name pronounced it Sochee

On 1/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, bigskygirl said:

Hmmm... For some reason I cannot play the message. Maybe God does not think I am worthy enough to be able to see the video. I do chuckle at the one comment about Kendra being a mature 19 year old. Really...mature...I have warts on my body who are more mature, but this is not the time and place to get into that.

Eh, no need to see/hear it.  It was fundie bingo of all the special words:  awesome, blessed, etc.  Once I hit play all I could see is her mouth.  Maybe that is his favorite part.  

19 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I was disappointed about Zoey. Because until that name I thought maybe Alyssa was picking using letters from her own name A for Allie, L for Lexi, I was waiting for to announce a Y name. 

I can't think of a cutesy girls name that starts with Y. Yolanda for example seems too formal for her cutesy girl name style. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I hope no Duggar or Duggar-in-law, except Jinger, ever has another girl. Girl Duggars are sister-slaves in the making. Want to bet Ofsmuggar has Meredith fetching bottles while Mackynzie changes diapers? 

• Love 2

Maybe she’ll go with names that express how fundies are supposed to feel about kids. Miracle. Blessing. Gift. Promise. Joy. 

Or maybe she’ll go with names that express how fundies actually feel about kids. Miracle. Blessing. (Fast forward to #15) MenopausePleaseHurryTheHellUp. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Doesn't Jilly have dibs on that name? She'll cut the bitch who "steals" it from her.

No, she won't. A) It's unreasonable to have dibs that long, and b) all her kids have names that end in el. 

For some reason, I have always felt strongly that with that construction the "e" should be a short "i", like in "Nivea" and/or "Nineveh", but good luck I'm sure, convincing the airheads who would name their kid that...

• Love 2

Yeah, people don't always seem to understand "You know we arrange such-and-such letters together and then they always take the sound of said arrangement, right?  That just because you want to name your daughter "Velvetta", does not mean we're going to sheepishly go along with you if you insist her name should be pronounced "Velveeta", right?  Because we do certain things, and vowels take certain sounds, when they're next to double letters, right?"

Ugh, sometimes it makes me stabby.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, people don't always seem to understand "You know we arrange such-and-such letters together and then they always take the sound of said arrangement, right?  That just because you want to name your daughter "Velvetta", does not mean we're going to sheepishly go along with you if you insist her name should be pronounced "Velveeta", right?  Because we do certain things, and vowels take certain sounds, when they're next to double letters, right?"

Ugh, sometimes it makes me stabby.

Then again, there are a lot of phonetic quirks. Our older son's name is Stephen (I figure it's a common enough name that I can share it). We pronounce it with an "f" sound, though. That was my husband's idea, but I rather liked what I saw as a uniqueness in the pronunciation. Turns out, though, that my husband is actually adamant that everyone out there who pronounces the name Stephen as "Steven" is simply wrong. He won't listen to the fact that it's the accepted pronunciation, because "ph makes an f sound" . And our son doesn't much appreciate having a name that's constantly mispronounced, and wishes we'd spelled it "Stefan" to start with. He'd change it himself, but his job entails a lot of security clearances and it would take a lot of red tape at this point.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Did Kendra miss the memo about taking and posting a swayback baby bump photo?

I’m sure she did. But now that we’ve highlighted the omission, we can expect her to post one right away to compete with her sisters in law. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Then again, there are a lot of phonetic quirks. Our older son's name is Stephen (I figure it's a common enough name that I can share it). We pronounce it with an "f" sound, though. That was my husband's idea, but I rather liked what I saw as a uniqueness in the pronunciation. Turns out, though, that my husband is actually adamant that everyone out there who pronounces the name Stephen as "Steven" is simply wrong. He won't listen to the fact that it's the accepted pronunciation, because "ph makes an f sound" . And our son doesn't much appreciate having a name that's constantly mispronounced, and wishes we'd spelled it "Stefan" to start with. He'd change it himself, but his job entails a lot of security clearances and it would take a lot of red tape at this point.

Phteven.  A friend of mine and her husband named their firstborn Lilah. Only they spelled it Lillah. Poor girl is gonna have a tough time in school!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Did Kendra miss the memo about taking and posting a swayback baby bump photo?

Maybe, just maybe....she isn't 100% famewhore who gets all of her self-esteem from doing the mom-humble-brag on social media for her "fans"? Maybe? 

20 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have always thought Stephen should be pronounced like "Stefan/Stefen." Tell your husband he and I are correct, the rest of these people are wrong. :)  

• Love 8