Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

too funny the discussion on Stephen/Stefan/Stefen or Steven.  Mr. lookeyloo is Steven.  My brother's middle name is Stephen.  They have a good time discussing which is the "better" way.  If one's name is Stephen, then if your nickname is "Steve", should it be spelled "Stephe"?

• Love 9
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

My mother always pronounced Stephen as Stefan.  I have to agree here.  Otherwise, why not spell it Steven?

Has Kendra posted a preggo photo yet?  

I must confess I always have unless corrected by the "ph" in question also!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, christine falls said:

I came across someone called Sinamon today.  I mean, Cinnamon is bad enough, but Sinamon?

That is certainly an Original spelling. Orinigal Sinamon. :D 

Same spice cupboard as Jinger. Maybe Kendra will name her child Klove. 

• Love 16

And yet no one pronounces Stephanie as Stevanie. I have ran into a couple of Megan/Meghan's who pronounce their name Meegan. An Anne who pronounces it Annie (NOT a nickname). And I know two Karas, one pronounces it Kare-ra and the other Kar-ra. And as I've mentioned before the name Asia pronounced Aseea. 

And does anyone know why Dick is the nickname of Richard? Even Rick makes more sense than Dick, but not as must sense as Rich. And really as I type this, my inner 13 year old wonders who could allow themselves to be called Dick?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

And yet no one pronounces Stephanie as Stevanie. I have ran into a couple of Megan/Meghan's who pronounce their name Meegan. An Anne who pronounces it Annie (NOT a nickname). And I know two Karas, one pronounces it Kare-ra and the other Kar-ra. And as I've mentioned before the name Asia pronounced Aseea. 

And does anyone know why Dick is the nickname of Richard? Even Rick makes more sense than Dick, but not as must sense as Rich. And really as I type this, my inner 13 year old wonders who could allow themselves to be called Dick?

Dick didn’t mean penis until the 1890s, Dick was being used in surnames at least 600 years earlier. I don’t know how Richard was being pronounced by the people who came up with Dick, but a trilled r and hard c could be the case. 

Asia is a Polish name/nickname. It’s apparently short for Joanna. Figure that one out!

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I knew a Meegan who spelled it Meegan, though I never asked her if she made the decision or if it was birth certificate.... now I wonder.

5 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Dick didn’t mean penis until the 1890s, Dick was being used in surnames at least 600 years earlier. I don’t know how Richard was being pronounced by the people who came up with Dick, but a trilled r and hard c could be the case. 

Asia is a Polish name/nickname. It’s apparently short for Joanna. Figure that one out!

"Asia", in Polish, is pronounced more like "asha" or "ashya" (somewhere in between - it's hard for a non-native Polish speaker to say the soft "s" sound, or even differentiate the sound from "sh" when hearing it), and the "sia" suffix is a common way to form a nickname. Thus Barbara becomes "Basia", Katarzyna becomes "Kasia" Krystyna becomes"Krysia" and so forth. Joanna could become "Joasia", but the suffix can be used alone, especially with "Jo" (pronounced "Yo") which is almost like a vowel as the first sound. Polish doesn't really have a lot of diphthongs, so "Joasia" would be pronounced "Yo-Ashia".  Same holds true with boys' names (the diminutive suffix for boys is "ek" or ", siek" (and diminutives can be sort of combined, so the nickname may become longer than the actual name) which is why my father, Franciszek, for which the most common nickname would be "Franek" (which he went by in Polish, though he was "Frank" to most of his English and American friends) was known as "Franiusiek" as a young child, which was then shortened to just "Niusiek", which is what his bothers, neices and nephews knew him as.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
Took about seven edits because there were so many red-underlined bits that the bits which my crappy keyboard messed up on its own were not so apparent in the midst of all the things it simply didn't recognize.
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And does anyone know why Dick is the nickname of Richard? Even Rick makes more sense than Dick, but not as must sense as Rich.

From what I understand, a lot of nicknames started out as shorthand and then morphed into other names because humans (well, English speaking humans where these names were derived) have a propensity to enjoy things that rhyme. 

Thus, Richard was shorthanded to Rich, then to Ric, which was written sometimes as Rick, which then became Dick.

Bill is much more logical - William - Will - Bill.

Same with Margaret - was shorthanded to Marg, which became Meg, which morphed into Peg, and eventually got the dimunative -gy which gave us Peggy.

I mean, there's a whole language formed around the idea of rhyming words, so nicknames following the example of British Cockney makes sense.

And as someone that added on rhyming names to my cat's name as a term of endearment ... I kinda get it.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, McManda said:

From what I understand, a lot of nicknames started out as shorthand and then morphed into other names because humans (well, English speaking humans where these names were derived) have a propensity to enjoy things that rhyme. 

Thus, Richard was shorthanded to Rich, then to Ric, which was written sometimes as Rick, which then became Dick.

Bill is much more logical - William - Will - Bill.

Same with Margaret - was shorthanded to Marg, which became Meg, which morphed into Peg, and eventually got the dimunative -gy which gave us Peggy.

I mean, there's a whole language formed around the idea of rhyming words, so nicknames following the example of British Cockney makes sense.

And as someone that added on rhyming names to my cat's name as a term of endearment ... I kinda get it.

Heck, I've even done that with my kids. My younger son, I used to but "-boo" at the end of his name when he was a baby, then it became "boots", which I rhymed with things like scoots and roots...anyway ,long story short, I eventually started calling him "Beetroot", though I more or less stopped as he got older. It was always more of an "at home" nickname rather than a public one, phased out over time, and I was  mostly the only one who ever used it. Still, even though he just turned 27, he's the "baby" of the family, and I might occasionally call him my baby beetroot as a sort of wry endearment. He just rolls his eyes.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

This developed because there were very few given names in Medieval England. As a result, a village would likely have a lot of people with the same first name. The theory is that rhyming and letter swapping (e.g. Ted from Edward) gave people more options for common first names so they could distinguish who they were talking about. 

I find this interesting from a genealogical perspective.  It's so frustrating that every other ancestor from my English line are named John or Richard.  We are now trying to figure out how to fit in a seventh Richard that has shown up since 1700.  Too bad they didn't do the middle name thing at that point.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

While I don't know how a Richard becomes a Dick, I can say that the ones I meet usually live up to the name. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Same spice cupboard as Jinger. Maybe Kendra will name her child Klove. 

Or Koriander, if she's into the K initial.  If it has to be a J, why not Jarlic?  

16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Teehee!  I happen to know a Richard, and I heard on a local radio show years ago (the 90's) that there was a club called Dicks of America!  Who knew?

I don't get it, either.  Like Bob for Robert.  I get Rob, but changing the first initial just seems weird.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I find this interesting from a genealogical perspective.  It's so frustrating that every other ancestor from my English line are named John or Richard.  We are now trying to figure out how to fit in a seventh Richard that has shown up since 1700.  Too bad they didn't do the middle name thing at that point.

Right?  This explains so much about my family. 

42 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Or Koriander, if she's into the K initial.  If it has to be a J, why not Jarlic?  

Teehee!  I happen to know a Richard, and I heard on a local radio show years ago (the 90's) that there was a club called Dicks of America!  Who knew?

I don't get it, either.  Like Bob for Robert.  I get Rob, but changing the first initial just seems weird.

Think about how it’s written. A B and an R can look awfully similar in the days when virtually everything was handwritten and not to a modern standard. I find it very understandable. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

Right?  This explains so much about my family. 

Think about how it’s written. A B and an R can look awfully similar in the days when virtually everything was handwritten and not to a modern standard. I find it very understandable. 

Bobert?

... it don't look right, Ma!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Or Kumin or Kayenne. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I  think the parents ran out of names as he is named Cevin pronounced seven. 

My sister's friend's husband is also named Cevin ... but pronounced Kevin. (We joke it should be pronounced seven based on the spelling.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Koriander and Jarlic are Way too “ethnic” for Duggar tastes, I’m sure!  

Ha. My son’s best friend is Robert and I call him Bob or Bert for fun!  

• Love 4

A few years ago, my daughter got a birthday card with the return address from “James ———“. She asked me who it was from. I said, “Your uncle Jim”.  She was so confused. Jim is short for James??? I said yes, what did you think it was short for?  She said, “I don’t know...Jimothy or something.”  We laugh about it to this day. We must have a weird sense of humor. My son has the middle name Robert after my dad who  goes by Bob. My son likes to tell people his name is ——— Bobert. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

A few years ago, my daughter got a birthday card with the return address from “James ———“. She asked me who it was from. I said, “Your uncle Jim”.  She was so confused. Jim is short for James??? I said yes, what did you think it was short for?  She said, “I don’t know...Jimothy or something.”  We laugh about it to this day. We must have a weird sense of humor. My son has the middle name Robert after my dad who  goes by Bob. My son likes to tell people his name is ——— Bobert. 

I have an uncle Jim. I think I was in my thirties before I knew his first name was actually Vincent.

• Love 9
On 1/30/2018 at 1:40 AM, GeeGolly said:

Asia is an Italian name as well, pronounced like ahziya, emphasis on the first syllable.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pollypam said:

I have an uncle Jim. I think I was in my thirties before I knew his first name was actually Vincent.

Are you Italian-American by any chance? I have an uncle Jimmy whose name is actually Vincenzo. (Also my father had two cousin Jimmys whose first names were really Vincenzo.)

• Love 4

My grandfather was Vasyl (Basil).  When he came back to the US after spending decades living in the “old country” his family and friends stateside called him William. My grandmother called him Bill.  

Back on topic. I can see Kendra and Joe choosing something totally cutesy and alliterative like Dawn (Duggar), Donnie (Duggar), Donna (Duggar), Doug (Duggar) ad nauseum .  I see Jinger and Jeremy going more traditional. Katherine.  Robert.  Christine.  Christopher.  

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Back on topic. I can see Kendra and Joe choosing something totally cutesy and alliterative like Dawn (Duggar), Donnie (Duggar), Donna (Duggar), Doug (Duggar) ad nauseum .  I see Jinger and Jeremy going more traditional. Katherine.  Robert.  Christine.  Christopher.  

Kendra and Joy are immature teenage girls who are being given their very own "Baby Alive" dolls to play with -- I have no doubt that they will name them accordingly, and I have no doubt that the names will be dumber than anything that has been guessed so far. It was, after all, teenage Ben who came up with the name Spurgeon.

I agree that Jeremy (and therefore Jinger) are far more pretentious and will go with something classic and traditional.

I just can't make myself care.

• Love 16
On 1/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, Pollypam said:

On one of my Italian FB pages we talked about this. I had never heard of Jimmy as Vincent before. Lots of strange changing of names in the old days. It must be an east coast thing since I have never heard of a Vincent being called Jimmy it in Chicago. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1
On January 31, 2018 at 8:54 PM, scriggle said:

Are you Italian-American by any chance? I have an uncle Jimmy whose name is actually Vincenzo. (Also my father had two cousin Jimmys whose first names were really Vincenzo.)

10 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

On one of my Italian FB pages we talked about this. I had never heard of Jimmy as Vincent before. Lots of strange changing of names in the old days. It must be an east coast thing since I have never heard of a Vincent being called Jimmy it in Chicago. 

Yes, east coast and Italian. Are there people named Vincent who aren't Italian?? ?

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, Pollypam said:

I can beat that.  It wasn't until my Uncle Jimmy died that I found out his first name was Anthony.  He was named after his father and, to avoid confusion(?), went by his middle name. Not east coast or Italian.  Midwest and Polish.

As for Kendra, I suspect she'll choose something trendy and spell it stupidly.  Heavyn for a girl, Bronko for a boy.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I wonder if this has something to do with Catholic naming traditions.  I know a family where all the girls have Mary in their names in some form, or mom prayed to Saint Paul while pregnant with all the kids and they now all have Paul in their names, or you were born on the feast day of Saint Anthony and you are named after him (even if you are female).  Also, it used to be that you had to have a saint name for Baptism so your parents would have to add one.  Or, you changed your name to your Confirmation name.  I'm sure that I missed something, but I love how we have these traditions and how they vary with different countries.

• Love 6

Mr Barb & his brother were raised Catholic & both have Saint names as their middle names. I think for the having saint names for Baptism. Mr Barb's first name is also a saint. I'll have to ask my MIL how they decided on their names. Our son's middle name is also a Saint but wasn't chosen for that reason. I'm Methodist & son was raised Methodist. But I do like that it is a Saint & sure MIL is happy about it too. We just liked the name, it went well his first name & also have cousin with that name, so it keeps name in family.  All bases covered. (Luckily son likes it too!)

I think that new baby Duggar will have a funky more modern name. 

• Love 3
On January 24, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Genevrier said:

Well, I suppose it’s better than Heistheway.

I was visiting my cousin when her cell rang and I saw Godsblessing pop up on her phone.  That's the poor little guy's name. Then she called to her son that Godsblessing was on the phone and I almost lost it.  This is in the suburbs of Atlanta. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I hear Vincent on Asian boys a lot! Its really a nice strong name. Vincenzo is even better :).  I find Italian names to be really nice in general.

Until the  names Sophia, Ella, and  Isabella are over used. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

First of all JD is a constable, but he is not a part time officer.

The Duggars have been saying JD is a part time officer for a couple of years or so now.  Whether he is or not, I can't prove.

• Love 2