Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

I love the name Verity.  I have a second cousin of that name.  To be honest, I was somewhat ambivalent about it until Poldark. Verity was a lovely character and quickly became a fan favorite. The name Demelza kicks ass. Agatha, which isn’t the prettiest of names, was also a fan favorite.

It has long been common in England  to name baby girls after virtues.  It was particularly en vogue during the Victorian age, as Queen Victoria and her husband Albert had strong morals.  Names like Verity, Patience, Prudence, Faith, Hope, and Charity were not uncommon back then. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What does Fly-fornication mean? Flies doing it? A quicky? An excellent experience?

More or less what I was going for when googling the aforementioned Flee-Fornication and Fie-Fornication. Basically, "get thee out of my mind and vicinity, thou vile fornication and the very idea thereof!"

But the visual of flies getting it on made me laugh. I get a sadistic sort of enjoyment out of getting such a "two-fer" when swatting flies!

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I love the name Verity.  I have a second cousin of that name.  To be honest, I was somewhat ambivalent about it until Poldark. Verity was a lovely character and quickly became a fan favorite. The name Demelza kicks ass. Agatha, which isn’t the prettiest of names, was also a fan favorite.

It has long been common in England  to name baby girls after virtues.  It was particularly en vogue during the Victorian age, as Queen Victoria and her husband Albert had strong morals.  Names like Verity, Patience, Prudence, Faith, Hope, and Charity were not uncommon back then. 

I've loved the name (and Demelza - and Angharad, for that matter) since then, too. I'd suggested it to my daughter as well at some point, but she hasn't seen either version of Poldark, and sort of rolled her eyes at the virtue names. Her middle name is Hope, though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I came across that name years ago, and, of course, it ingrained itself in my memory...almost.  I was actually trying to find reference to it when the subject of names came up here the other day, but I think I was googling "Fie-Fornication" and "Flee-Fornication", which is probably why I didn't find it.

We all need to appoint someone to clear our internet search cache in the event of an untimely demise. 

• Love 16

Agatha, which isn’t the prettiest of names, was also a fan favorite.

I think “Aggie” is a cute nickname for Agatha. I like old-fashioned names. Unfortunately I named my daughter Emma right before it was becoming trendy. Now there are hundreds of Emmas. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I also have a cousin named Verity. Her nicknane is variety because her sister could not pronounce her name.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LilJen said:

My family tree has some good ones: Mehitabel, Hezekiah, Thankful.

I have all of those along with a female named Experience. Are these mayflower descendents? We may share and ancestor

6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Verity Lambert. Creator of Doctor Who

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

The Puritans were big on the theological virtue names, too. Joy, Grace, Constance, Temperance, Chastity, and (come to think of it) Virtue. I don’t see Kendra and Joe going in that direction, but you never know. I’d bet they’ll go more on the cutesy side. With Joy and Austin it’s a toss-up. I’d guess Joy will want something super-cute while Austin leans towards the biblical (or shit like Spurgeon). I guess we’ll inevitably find out.

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, momma2seven said:

I have a Thankful as well...first one of the family born in the "New World".

Definitely thinking a cutesy name for the baby if it's a girl. For a boy probably a Breyden, Kaiden, Aiden type name.

My cousin has a Kayden and a Brayden!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, lianau said:

5.Desire. In the UK, seven babies were named this in 2012.

I assume the 2012 parents were going for Desiree but couldn't  spell it .

Or believed they'd given birth to a streetcar. 

15 hours ago, AUgirl said:

I think “Aggie” is a cute nickname for Agatha. I like old-fashioned names. Unfortunately I named my daughter Emma right before it was becoming trendy. Now there are hundreds of Emmas. 

I like Aggie, too. Although I'll bet some people would ask you, seriously, whether you were named in honor of Texas A&M 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Genevrier said:

The Puritans were big on the theological virtue names, too. Joy, Grace, Constance, Temperance, Chastity, and (come to think of it) Virtue. I don’t see Kendra and Joe going in that direction, but you never know. I’d bet they’ll go more on the cutesy side. With Joy and Austin it’s a toss-up. I’d guess Joy will want something super-cute while Austin leans towards the biblical (or shit like Spurgeon). I guess we’ll inevitably find out.

Joy won't care...she'll probably say something about it being too hard to pick out a name for a kid "you don't really, like, even know yet" and want to wait until after it's born. Austin will want a masculine outdoorsy name for a boy Hunter, Forest...and a plain no frills name for a girl. Mary, Jane, Ruth, Sarah...what's his mom's name?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, momma2seven said:

Joy won't care...she'll probably say something about it being too hard to pick out a name for a kid "you don't really, like, even know yet" and want to wait until after it's born. Austin will want a masculine outdoorsy name for a boy Hunter, Forest...and a plain no frills name for a girl. Mary, Jane, Ruth, Sarah...what's his mom's name?

Roxanne.

• Love 2

I like Aggie, too. Although I'll bet some people would ask you, seriously, whether you were named in honor of Texas A&M 

I live in Alabama-where it’s considered normal to have kids of either sex named Crymson and Tyde after the school so I guess that didn’t seem like such a stretch....

Joe is an Arkansas fan but I hope he avoids using their  mascot the wild hog or battle cry (sooowee pig) in the kid’s name. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, momma2seven said:

Definitely thinking a cutesy name for the baby if it's a girl. For a boy probably a Breyden, Kaiden, Aiden type name.

My second cousin has a 4 year son and named him Drayden. After a skier or something and I don't remember the correct spelling either. Anyway, I accidentally called him Brayden and got called out for it because and I quote, "I would never use the name Brayden, there are so many Braydens now!"

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

I hope this trend stops. These names do not age well.

My daughter is considering Camden if she has a boy...I like it; it doesn't seem quite as trendy as the Kayden/Braydens, but it's so close in structure that it makes me wonder what's different about it.

I do like the nickname "Cam", though. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My daughter is considering Camden if she has a boy...I like it; it doesn't seem quite as trendy as the Kayden/Braydens, but it's so close in structure that it makes me wonder what's different about it.

I do like the nickname "Cam", though. 

Camden is what Nick Lachey and Vanessa named their first son.  I have a friend whose son was born during the dynasty years and he is named Blake

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Camden is what Nick Lachey and Vanessa named their first son.  I have a friend whose son was born during the dynasty years and he is named Blake

Kristin Cavallari and Jay Cutler named their son Camden too. Which I thought was strange since Kristin dated Nick way back in the day.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Camden, NJ is....not nice.

They could go regional with Fayetteville or Tontitown. Fayetteville Marie or Tontitown David. Their first two kids could be Fay-Marie and Ton-David.

• Love 2

Hee! I cannot picture Joy making a decision at all. She is so indecisive.

My friend is a nurse in a maternity ward and told me the craziest baby name she had was Maiden America.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! I cannot picture Joy making a decision at all. She is so indecisive.

My friend is a nurse in a maternity ward and told me the craziest baby name she had was Maiden America.

Wow, that’s unique enough to be a HIPAA violation. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Camden, NJ is....not nice.

I believe the Lacheys made a point of naming their three kids after cities; Camden, Brooklyn, and Phoenix.  I have a feeling Joe and Kendra are going to go the biblical route.  I am hoping they have a girl in order to have the pleasure of watching Jill and Jessa's heads explode. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chunky junky said:

Maybe Griften Cash or Griftfor Cash. Good name for twins or consecutive babies would be Griften Cash then the next one Aiden Griften.We really do wish them nothing but healthy babies but I am sure enjoying this.

Aiden Griften sounds familiar! There are two adjacent towns in North Carolina named Ayden and Grifton. They are so small that they tend to get lumped together, for example the high school is Ayden-Grifton High School. 

• Love 4

The middle names of Ron Howard's kids represent the places they were conceived.  As the story goes, their son was conceived in a Volvo but they didn't think that would work for a name so they used the name, Cross, because that was the name of the street where they were parked.   

Don't know if that idea would work for Joe and Kendra since they've probably never done it anywhere except their bed...with the lights off...and no talking.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

The middle names of Ron Howard's kids represent the places they were conceived.  As the story goes, their son was conceived in a Volvo but they didn't think that would work for a name so they used the name, Cross, because that was the name of the street where they were parked.   

Don't know if that idea would work for Joe and Kendra since they've probably never done it anywhere except their bed...with the lights off...and no talking.

Just the sound of Kendra's giggle...

• Love 7

@Jynnan tonnix, you mean tittering?

• Love 3

But does Joe leave his socks on? 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, chunky junky said:

Maybe Griften Cash or Griftfor Cash. Good name for twins or consecutive babies would be Griften Cash then the next one Aiden Griften.We really do wish them nothing but healthy babies but I am sure enjoying this.

Those need to be the names of the dullards’ next offspring. 

• Love 11
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, JennyMominFL said:

I have all of those along with a female named Experience. Are these mayflower descendents? We may share and ancestor

Yep, lotsa pre-Revolutionary ancestors, and a signer of the Declaration. Me iz famous. Hubby and I did the spit-DNA thing last year and I found a third cousin on Ancestry.com who actually used to babysit me & my sisters!

Wondering if any of the Duggar kids thought of carrying on family names like many of us do? Like, how come there's not a Jim Bob among all those boy descendants, or a Michelle among the girls (Josh & Anna have the M thing, so. . .. ). I mean, one of the ten commandments *is* all about honoring your parents.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Wondering if any of the Duggar kids thought of carrying on family names like many of us do? Like, how come there's not a Jim Bob among all those boy descendants, or a Michelle among the girls (Josh & Anna have the M thing, so. . .. ). I mean, one of the ten commandments *is* all about honoring your parents.

If there's anyone I can see doing this, it would be Duggar sons/daughters-in-law. That's probably why Josh and Anna have come closest to emulating JB and Michelle with the M theme. In a patriarchy, you would think that the paternal parents would be honored just a little bit more than the maternal parents. Most of the Duggar kids having kids so far have been Duggar daughters, so following the patriarchal order they may be more inclined to honor their in-laws rather than their own parents, or at least deferring to their husbands. 

Thus, Joystin's kid will likely have a name that is meaningful to Austin or the Forsyths.

JinJer's kid will likely have a name meaningful to Jeremy or the Vuolos (could be similar to Ben and Jessa).

In contrast, since Joe and Kendra are spawning children whose last name is Duggar, they may be the most likely of the three to do a letter theme or incorporate JB or Michelle (or even Mary) in some way. It will be interesting to see if this plays out, since Joe is only the second Duggar son to become a father.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LilJen said:

Josh's oldest son is named after both grandfathers and his middle name is James. As for Michelle, there have been so few granddaughters so far.  It would be hard to live up to being another Jim Bob Duggar, and certainly the Duggars had enough boys for a Junior if they wanted one. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Well, I guess technically there's James, but j wouldn't consider him a junior. I wonder if he ever feels weird having the same name as his dad, but not being a junior!

Joshley’s middle name is James and there’s one of the 19 named James.

• Love 2