Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

That poor child. As if she doesn't have enough strikes against her, with those two nitwits for parents. 

The good news is that she can change her name when she's older...although by then, she'll be brainwashed into the kult and just as krazy.

• Love 7
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, madpsych78 said:

According to babynames.it, my name was #9 the year I was born. 

I'm not sure how accurate that web site is.  It says my names was #25 the year I was born, yet I never met a soul with my name until middle school (other than my younger cousin).  It was slowly transitioning to a girl's name, and then became a trendy name about ten to fifteen years later.

4 hours ago, Lunera said:

I remember Jessa wrote a post a while ago and wrote "walla!" instead of "voila!". 

Half the people who type this word spell it viola.

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

That’s funny, because a former Good Day NY anchor named their kid that, and Rosanna Scotto, whom I assume had heard the Irish father speak it aloud, said ‘Sear-shuh’, as in ‘Sear it on the barbecue grill.’

I once looked up the pronunciation and this was how they pronounced it.  But Saoirse Ronan pronounces hers "Sir-shuh", so I assume that's the proper Irish way.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Naming children is so freaking hard. I'm due in June and I fell in love with the name Isla ( eye-luh) which is very common over in Europe but not super popular here. I can't decide if it is a good idea or not, I don't want her ( if baby is a girl) to have to forever be explaining how to pronounce her name. 

I could see them doing something cute and popular, like Ava or Emma. 

I like Isla.  My sisters step granddaughter has that name.  I think she spells it Ayla.  Your spelling I think would be easier.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I like Isla.  My sisters step granddaughter has that name.  I think she spells it Ayla.  Your spelling I think would be easier.

I love the name Isla, but having it spelled as Ayla is going to drive that kid crazy. Everyone's going to pronounce the first syllable as "Aye" instead of "Eye."

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I love the name Isla, but having it spelled as Ayla is going to drive that kid crazy. Everyone's going to pronounce the first syllable as "Aye" instead of "Eye."

Exactly!  Keep it easier.  

How is this one:  Aisling  pronounced?  NEVERMIND!  Did the google..

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Naming children is so freaking hard. I'm due in June and I fell in love with the name Isla ( eye-luh) which is very common over in Europe but not super popular here. I can't decide if it is a good idea or not, I don't want her ( if baby is a girl) to have to forever be explaining how to pronounce her name. 

My mom’s friend did Isla, I’ve been completely charmed by the name since, I think it’s so lovely and beautiful (and that Isla is now a spunkt little two year old)

I also think they’re going to do something trendy, probably mispelled. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Yeah, my name can be spelled at least five different ways... most of my relatives spell it wrong.

I have a “dated” name. When I was in high school, I experimented with different spellings of my name to make it more unique. One version lasted just a few days until I decided I didn’t like it. One of my Aunts latched onto that and THAT was the version she used until she died. SMH. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I once looked up the pronunciation and this was how they pronounced it.  But Saoirse Ronan pronounces hers "Sir-shuh", so I assume that's the proper Irish way.

I thought i remembered that also, which was very disorienting as I'd already fixed the prior pronunciation in my mind and felt all smug about doing so, lol.

2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Exactly!  Keep it easier.  

How is this one:  Aisling  pronounced?  NEVERMIND!  Did the google..

I was once told "Ashleen", like "Eileen", but then that doesn't make much sense, because then I don't know why the latter wouldn't be spelt "Eisling" (or maybe, in some circles, it is!).  

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I have a “dated” name. When I was in high school, I experimented with different spellings of my name to make it more unique. One version lasted just a few days until I decided I didn’t like it. One of my Aunts latched onto that and THAT was the version she used until she died. SMH. 

My name is Kelly, and spelled the traditional way.  My grandmother, until she died, spelled it "Kelley".  But then she had 23 grand-children, and 50 great grand-children, and quite a few great-greats.

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I thought i remembered that also, which was very disorienting as I'd already fixed the prior pronunciation in my mind and felt all smug about doing so, lol.

I was once told "Ashleen", like "Eileen", but then that doesn't make much sense, because then I don't know why the latter wouldn't be spelt "Eisling" (or maybe, in some circles, it is!).  

I thought "Ashleen" too. I love that name.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I was born in the 1950’s and when I was in high school we had four cheerleaders named Debbie! I also have a name thT was way popular at that time ( it’s gender neutral, so there were boys with the same name) and there were always at least two other kids in my class with the same name.

And.... there are SIX people in my office with the same name as mine!!  (Needless to say, I am all for one of a kind names!)

In my Catholic school, so many girls had Marie for a middle name.  I was born in the late 1950's.  My first name is not common at all.  Especially my spelling.  My name is Louanne, after grandpa Louis and grandma Anne.

In my very small dance class, in 9th grade, there was a Joann, DuAnn, LeeAnn, and me- Louanne.  Our dance teacher called us Lou, Lee, Jo, and Du!

I'm on the fence of Kendra picking a made-up name, or a cutesy name.  Isn't Kendra a made-up name?

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, louannems said:

I'm on the fence of Kendra picking a made-up name, or a cutesy name.  Isn't Kendra a made-up name?

Kendra is an English name and it means knowledge.  It's not a very popular name, but it isn't made-up.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

And I'm sure that's how the Duggar crew pronounce Kendra.

To be fair, that’s how a lot of southerners pronounce that name. Born and raised in the south: for me there’s never been a difference between Ken and kin, ten and tin, pen and pin etc. -in and -en both make the short i sound to me; trying to pronounce -en words with the short e like in bet or jet doesn’t feel natural to me. YMMV. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChaChaSlide said:

To be fair, that’s how a lot of southerners pronounce that name. Born and raised in the south: for me there’s never been a difference between Ken and kin, ten and tin, pen and pin etc. -in and -en both make the short i sound to me; trying to pronounce -en words with the short e like in bet or jet doesn’t feel natural to me. YMMV. 

Yep. I remember trying over and over to get my Arkansan aunt to pronounce my friend's name as I introduced her. 

It's Jennifer - Jinnifer

Ok, try Jenny - Jinny

This is why Jennifer Goodwin changed the spelling of her name to "Ginnifer".  She's from the south and felt like no one was pronouncing her name correctly  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Isla is not that rare. It's going up in popularity fast, but it's not super popular. I don't think you would have to explain to too many people and if you do say it's like Island. 

Topic: I wonder if Joe and Kendra will pick a letter. I can see people who love the Duggars wanting to pick a letter. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Yeah, my name can be spelled at least five different ways... most of my relatives spell it wrong.

Kristy/kristi/Christie or Caitlin/catelyn/katelyn?

Edited by awaken
  • Love 4

Thank you to everyone here who has actually came out and said what her name is. 

The rest of you who have me guessing wondering and scratching my head about your names ... grrrr! Lol

For the record, I have a hella old lady name that you would think "why name a baby that?" It's a feminization of my grandfather's name that it took me 40 years to grow into. I'm okay with it now but for most of my early life I felt like I was introducing my grandma when I told people my name.

Just something for you expectant parents out there to consider.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Isla is not that rare. It's going up in popularity fast, but it's not super popular. I don't think you would have to explain to too many people and if you do say it's like Island. 

Topic: I wonder if Joe and Kendra will pick a letter. I can see people who love the Duggars wanting to pick a letter. 

I can see some Duggars selling the rights to choose the letter by raffle. 

The puppies in each litter bred by Customs as potential sniffer dogs have names with the same initial. From what I've heard they did surprisingly well with Q. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Yep. I remember trying over and over to get my Arkansan aunt to pronounce my friend's name as I introduced her. 

It's Jennifer - Jinnifer

Ok, try Jenny - Jinny

This is why Jennifer Goodwin changed the spelling of her name to "Ginnifer".  She's from the south and felt like no one was pronouncing her name correctly  

OT:  I remember that very clearly about Jennifer Garner being sent to West Virginia for some American Idol charity special, to "do good deeds" of some type I now can't recall.  She is from West Virginia, showed up at this nice soccer mom type's front door, clad in her puffy winter parka clearly from the likes of Target at-best, Levi's jeans and minimal if any makeup; stuck out her hand to the lady, and softly said "Hi, I'm Jennifer?" 

Only she didn't say that, it was more like "Hah, I'm Jinnifer?"

complete with upspeak, and I thought to myself: 

"that is just so high in emotional intelligence.  Here is this lady, expecting 'Ben Affleck's famous intimidating wife she sees on the cover of the National Enquirer'; so said wife polishes up 'her West Virginia' and dons an outfit that cost approximately $75.  I never thought you were 'dumb', Jennifer, but that's a whole other level of smart that few of these visiting celebrities in similar situations bother to apply.  Hell, Mariah Carey would have shown up in sequins and marabou."

• Love 10
10 hours ago, awaken said:

I’m guessing we have several barbs, Nancys, and pats on these boards! 

I named my first doll Barbara.  This was a couple of years before Barbie dolls came out.

11 hours ago, beckie said:

If Joe and Kendra do pick a letter to name their offspring, I hope they pick X.

That would certainly limit their family size, so I hope so too.  Xavier and ????

• Love 3
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

I named my first doll Barbara.  This was a couple of years before Barbie dolls came out.

That would certainly limit their family size, so I hope so too.  Xavier and ????

Little Xanax, of course!

• Love 10

I just looked at the Fundie Wikipedia about the Caldwells. They had a semi-letter theme going for the first half of their kids. Kendra, Lauren, Micah, Nathan...then broke that up with Timothy, Olivia, and Jesiah. I think it was unintentional though, because why start at K?

Here's a theory: Joe and Kendra pick a letter theme, but it is P, after Paul Caldwell. I got that idea after realizing that the Smuggars' letter theme could have been after either Michelle or after Mike Keller, Anna's father. Or, they may have picked it to ensure they had a lot of names to choose from.

• Love 3

Watching Kendra's behavior with her father on her wedding day really gave me the creeps. My daughter might have had a bit of that daddy-clinging, daddy-worshiping attitude when she was 3 and 4 years old. But Kendra went far beyond that, in public, in her late teens!  I simply cannot imagine her raising a child.

In real life, teens who marry early each have to work very hard to support themselves without any further education.  They live in run down cheap apartments.  Joe and Kendra get to live free in a cute log cabin. 

Knowing they will likely concieve soon after marriage, fundies should spend their early 20's learning a trade and learning to live independent of their families.

• Love 7

I really had no idea there were so many X names!  That kind of shoots my wish (for a small herd) all to hell.  Oh well.  It's been many moons since I had to choose a name for my one and only kid.

I did wish, as a kid, for a common name like Linda, Kathy, Susan, Debra, Barbara, etc.  It's probably akin to wanting straight hair when one has curly (that was me too.)  It's nice to get more of a "roll with it" attitude as one ages, for sure.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Xiomara. It’s pronounced “See oh Mara”.  And I do know someone with that name!

That's really pretty. To me that's the kind of name that's "cool unique" not a "what the eff were these parents thinking?" unique. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That's really pretty. To me that's the kind of name that's "cool unique" not a "what the eff were these parents thinking?" unique. 

Xiomara is Jane's mom on "Jane the Virgin". Not that the Duggars would watch that show.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I have an ordinary name with a different spelling.  It has been annoying my entire life trying to get it spelled correctly. There is a Y where there is usually an I.  It is not Mckynzie!!!

I taught a Mykynzy swim lessons one summer. She was a super sweet kid and I have fond memories of her, but I have never seen anyone else use that same spelling.

4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I vote for Xenia. There is an Australian actress named Xenia Goodwin, and it isn't too out there.

• Love 4
On 1/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, Mollie said:

Kim Kardashian just named her newborn daughter Chicago.  Chicago's older sister is named North West and her brother is named Saint West.  Silly names all!

I would have preferred to her to call her baby Windy City West. Kinda has a nice ring to it. lol

• Love 6
17 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

I always think of Kendra from the girls next door! haha

When the show was  on the board I belonged to we called her Kendah. lol I had never heard that name until GND.

I think they will go with a cutesy name that won't age well. I doubt Kendra will go too deep for a meaning on her baby's name. Erin is naming her new baby Everly which I think is interesting. Alyssa is going with Zoey. Out of the two names I like Everly better.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

When the show was  on the board I belonged to we called her Kendah. lol I had never heard that name until GND.

I think they will go with a cutesy name that won't age well. I doubt Kendra will go too deep for a meaning on her baby's name. Erin is naming her new baby Everly which I think is interesting. Alyssa is going with Zoey. Out of the two names I like Everly better.

"Wake Up, Little Susie, Wake Up."  Extra credit, if you can guess the connection :)

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I knew a girl named Xeminia, pronounced "Sameana." We called her Sam. 

Wow that brings back a memory. I worked with a fellow whose wife had that name and she pronounced it "chamaine"

• Love 1