Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

I have a lady in my family who is my grandmother and grandfather's first cousin. It's pretty cool, because she really, really looks like us! They lived in a very rural area, haha. 

I think it would be sort of cool if one of the younger Duggars courted Kendra's sister. She seems cute, and that would be one more boy married off! They desperately need to get rid of a few to even it out for Jana. 

• Love 2

On the dinner question, I envision Jinger asking a lot of questions of me to keep conversation going, but not really talking about herself. 

I would want to see the train wreck of Derrick and Jill up close. I would need a lot of booze to suffer through it though. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/9/2017 at 0:42 PM, Jeeves said:

Since this is spozed to be their topic: I can't imagine having dinner with JoKen. I'd feel like I was babysitting. I mean, I'm sure they're very nice kids and all. But still. I can't imagine what we could talk about except their purity and Jesus, and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, thank you very much.

20 hours ago, Nysha said:

I feel like I could mentor them into actual adulthood. Give Joe an actual job in a different state, encourage Kendra to take classes at a community college, get them involved in a liberal Christian church, and surround them with young adults who have a real life instead of fake ministries and endless babies.

I applaud your thinking but I was just talking about having dinner with them, once.

Edited by Jeeves

My mother's brother married my father's sister. So, I have 'double first cousins' in their children. That was about 50 years ago when they got married. Very old Italian families and they thought those two would be 'good together', so a date was suggested...thank God, no chaperone, like my parents had to have in Italy just a few years before that. It didn't work out too well for my parents, who were never allowed to be alone with each other, they were very different from each other and weren't given the time to notice much before their wedding.

I would have liked to watch Pastor Caldwell grill sweet Joe about his ability to support his daughter, etc. a la Boob. Why didn't he do that?

• Love 6
(edited)
37 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I would have liked to watch Pastor Caldwell grill sweet Joe about his ability to support his daughter, etc. a la Boob. Why didn't he do that?

Probably because he and Boob had already hammered all that (how the kids will live) out between them, when closing the deal over the fundie equivalent of brandy and cigars. The proposal scene was for public consumption. And Pastor Caldwell is too inexperienced in the ways of faux reality TV, to remember that he should have asked Joe that for the benefit of the cameras.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You're right- Double cousins (due to a sibling set marrying another sibling set) wasn't that rare even 100years ago for the reasons you mentioned. People had bigger families and ran in similar social circles, the only non relative available man in your town/county/farm area (or even city) may have had an available brother for your sister. 

I think there may be a GRAIN of truth to it, maybe Jed and Kendra were flirty aka "having a conversation" and Joe realized he liked her and Jed never made a move....

My grandmother and her sister married brothers. My aunt and uncle only had one son who never married (which was probably a good thing since this was a cousin who we were never allowed to be alone around, our parents watched us like hawks when we were at my aunt and uncle's house), so my family lost our chance at double cousins. When I was about 16 or so we were at my aunt and uncle's house on Christmas and my sister and cousins all came up to me, I am the oldest grandkid on that side, all confused, "Grandma and Grandpa are bother and sister?" Um, what? Then I realized what they were asking. Once I explained to them, they got it. It didn't help both grandparents came from large Italian families like 8 siblings each, and each of them had siblings who lived on the same street as my grandparents (aunt and uncle lived like 5 streets away). I was related to half the damn street. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, random cousins. Thank god one of the cousins worked for the post office, or the mail probably would have been a total cluster. 

How many siblings does Kendra have? Her mom could pop out a few more as Kendra is having them too. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You're right- Double cousins (due to a sibling set marrying another sibling set) wasn't that rare even 100years ago for the reasons you mentioned. People had bigger families and ran in similar social circles, the only non relative available man in your town/county/farm area (or even city) may have had an available brother for your sister. 

I'm in a rural area, and this happened in my family. My grandmother would talk of her double first cousins.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

My grandmother and her sister married brothers. My aunt and uncle only had one son who never married (which was probably a good thing since this was a cousin who we were never allowed to be alone around, our parents watched us like hawks when we were at my aunt and uncle's house), so my family lost our chance at double cousins. When I was about 16 or so we were at my aunt and uncle's house on Christmas and my sister and cousins all came up to me, I am the oldest grandkid on that side, all confused, "Grandma and Grandpa are bother and sister?" Um, what? Then I realized what they were asking. Once I explained to them, they got it. It didn't help both grandparents came from large Italian families like 8 siblings each, and each of them had siblings who lived on the same street as my grandparents (aunt and uncle lived like 5 streets away). I was related to half the damn street. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, random cousins. Thank god one of the cousins worked for the post office, or the mail probably would have been a total cluster. 

How many siblings does Kendra have? Her mom could pop out a few more as Kendra is having them too. 

Kendra is the oldest of 7. Her parents are in their late 30's, and she has toddler siblings. There could be a few more coming from the senior Caldwells while Kendra pops out her first few. The mother/daughter thing irrationally squicks me out. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Kendra is the oldest of 7. Her parents are in their late 30's, and she has toddler siblings. There could be a few more coming from the senior Caldwells while Kendra pops out her first few. The mother/daughter thing irrationally squicks me out. 

That is creepy.

• Love 3
On 7/11/2017 at 10:13 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Why? It used to be fairly commonplace in big families. My dad's birth mother is one of 13. Their eleventh child and first grandchild were born on the same day. Seven years later, my grandmother (her second child), two of her sisters, and their mother all had babies within a four-month span. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Is that really Austyn Martyn and Joy's Instagram? Because these people have a surprising amount of people who pretend to be them on social media. 

That's the legit account.  I wonder if Joe and Kendra folded in the gifts that Joy and Austin didn't get?  Tacky, tacky.

I'm laughing at the way their humpers are defending this by saying it's normal to have a registry. Yes, it's normal to have a registry but it's tacky to publicly advertise said registry to people who aren't even invited to the wedding. Presumably, guests will receive the link with their invitations, so why does the rest of the world need to "check it out"? 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Anonymousie said:

Why? It used to be fairly commonplace in big families. My dad's birth mother is one of 13. Their eleventh child and first grandchild were born on the same day. Seven years later, my grandmother (her second child), two of her sisters, and their mother all had babies within a four-month span. 

Yes it did use to be very common, if a woman starts reproducing in her late teens and continues into her early 40s, she will be having children the same time as her daughters/daughters in law. I think people are squeaked out by it because mothers aren't supposed to be sexual creatures. It's not such a dissodiance between each pregnancy when comparing siblings, (and people are expected to have more than one child) but for a GRANDMOTHER to be sexual gives people the heeby heebies (I don't agree but that's my theory). 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, toodles said:

Claires, Gap, Old Navy, Ulta etc.  This is looks more like a gift registry for a sweet 16 party than a wedding registry.  This is OK?  This is acceptable?  Yes, I'm a crabby old bag, but REALLY?

Now get off my lawn.

I was addicted to Claire's at 13...I'm 31. I'm joining you. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, toodles said:

Claires, Gap, Old Navy, Ulta etc.  This is looks more like a gift registry for a sweet 16 party than a wedding registry.  This is OK?  This is acceptable?  Yes, I'm a crabby old bag, but REALLY?

Now get off my lawn.

Silly me, I thought the purpose of a registry was to help a young couple get established with necessary household items, not to keep the bride flush in chintzy jewelry and cosmetics.

Like Scarlett45, I was a Claire's whore in middle school. I didn't realize anyone over 18 sets foot in that place.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Silly me, I thought the purpose of a registry was to help a young couple get established with necessary household items, not to keep the bride flush in chintzy jewelry and cosmetics.

Me too.  This is nothing but a greedy cash grab.  Why ask for cooking stuff if you are asking for a bizillion restaurant cards.  They don't work so why can't someone cook.

• Love 3
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes it did use to be very common, if a woman starts reproducing in her late teens and continues into her early 40s, she will be having children the same time as her daughters/daughters in law. I think people are squeaked out by it because mothers aren't supposed to be sexual creatures. It's not such a dissodiance between each pregnancy when comparing siblings, (and people are expected to have more than one child) but for a GRANDMOTHER to be sexual gives people the heeby heebies (I don't agree but that's my theory). 

Yeah, my mother's got an aunt only 5 years older because my grandmother was married as a teen in Europe, and similarly teen-married great-grandma was fertile into her 40s.  

The discussion reminds me of a video column advice letter I saw several years ago, which was (paraphrasing) "I had a change--of-life baby and my teen girl is so great with her, but recently I noticed, we've started to get nasty looks when we're going out and about.  Then recently, someone walked up to her out of the blue in public and hissed "You should be ashamed of yourself."  We just now realized, these strangers think my teen is her baby sister's mother and are making judgments based upon thinking she's "some tramp who got pregnant in high school".  I don't want this to affect how they interact in public; what should I do?"

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Austin and Joy pimped the wedding registry on Facebook too

Hey they have to hit all the forms of grifting that they can find. The show money will soon be gone so grift on.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, toodles said:

Now get off my lawn.

Don't send them over to my lawn! 

• Love 5

I have an uncle who is one year older than me and nine months younger than my older sister. My mom was the youngest of three until he came along, 22 years later. Grandma was in her late forties when he was born. it happens even in smaller families. My grand parentsdefinitely were not planning their last child.

Even better, grandma was the youngest of 13, and her oldest sister, who was 20 when grandma was born, had a baby the same year. So, my uncle has a first cousin the same age as his mom, around 48 years older than him. Two of my grandma's brothers married sisters from a neighboring family, so we have some double  first cousins in the family, too.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, my mother's got an aunt only 5 years older because my grandmother was married as a teen in Europe, and similarly teen-married great-grandma was fertile into her 40s.  

The discussion reminds me of a video column advice letter I saw several years ago, which was (paraphrasing) "I had a change--of-life baby and my teen girl is so great with her, but recently I noticed, we've started to get nasty looks when we're going out and about.  Then recently, someone walked up to her out of the blue in public and hissed "You should be ashamed of yourself."  We just now realized, these strangers think my teen is her baby sister's mother and are making judgments based upon thinking she's "some tramp who got pregnant in high school".  I don't want this to affect how they interact in public; what should I do?"

My mom, who started reproducing in her mid 20's, so not that young, had an oops! when she was in her 40's.  I am almost 16 years older than my baby sister.  If I had a nickel for everytime someone in the mall thought I was her mother....  My older sister had her first child on baby sister's 8th birthday, my nephew is closer to her in age than any of her sibs.

I went to Catholic grade school, lots of huge families.  One of my friends was youngest of 9 and her nephew (oldest sister's boy) was in our class and she had another nephew who was two years ahead of us.  Which is, I guess, why it didn't feel all that weird to me to be the only kid in the sophomore class whose mom was pregnant. I do, however, remember speculating with my older sister that had to have been the first time in years that our parents had 'done' it; old people like that, they could've had a heart attack!

My paternal grandmother had her last kid when her oldest daughter was 18.  Said daughter married and had her first kid just a couple years later.  My youngest aunt grew up playing with her nephew, went to the same school, too.

The fundies, with their early marriages and huge families, are bringing back the good old days...

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Kendra should rethink the Claires gift cards, I think they are on their way out as in closing.....perhaps she can bump up to Forever 21. lol

She is no where close to 21.   How sad is that.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Kendra should rethink the Claires gift cards, I think they are on their way out as in closing.....perhaps she can bump up to Forever 21. lol

Or Hot Topic?  I could get them matching band shirts!  How do you think they feel about punk?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Oh, that's hell for grifters like these. Unlimited free gift cards, for a store that doesn't exist! Karma is real.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, toodles said:

Now get off my lawn.

Not going to lie. I got a tad confused reading that registry. I checked to make sure. This is ridiculous

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, toodles said:

Now get off my lawn.

To me this is just proof that JoKen are far, FAR too young to be getting married.  Who registers for cheap jewerly and makeup?  Unless, in her teenagery mind, she's thinking that she needs those things to get all prettied up for her husband.

That said, we should pool our money and buy Kendra a $5 gift card to Claire's.  If they're having a sale, she could buy several pairs of earrings which - as we know - every young, newly married couple needs to start a home.  I'll chip in the nickel I found in the parking lot.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, queenanne said:

Funny- my 17-year-old is a summer nanny for a family with a toddler and 4-year-old boy. My daughter runs the kids to soccer, story-time, golf, etc and gets lots of "teen mom" side-eye.  

• Love 6

This couple is so boring. We never hear anything about their courtship or dates or anything. I get that they want to keep some things private. That wedding registry is absolutely ridiculous if that's the case. You're supposed to ask for things for your house.

• Love 6

20170714_082407.thumb.jpg.7106085ee34dab5139abb05069db94cd.jpgCALDWELLS_Paul__Christina.jpg.12b0445db08dee8c50ce77efc4c1d12f.jpg

Recent and old photo of the Caldwell family. Looks like mama Caldwell bleaches her hair and Kendra got her big teeth from her mother and chubby cheeks from her father.

• Love 4