Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

Pretty sure Merida would be appalled by that frilly cleavagey contraption of a dress. And where are her curls?

Presumably this wedding (Joe & Kendra, not Merida and mystery Prince or Princess) will be handled by the Bride's family, so here's hoping they have better taste than the Duggar clan, even while adhering to the same beliefs.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, kalamac said:

Presumably this wedding (Joe & Kendra, not Merida and mystery Prince or Princess) will be handled by the Bride's family, so here's hoping they have better taste than the Duggar clan, even while adhering to the same beliefs.

She's the oldest of a bunch of kids being raised on a preacher's salary. Unless TLC is paying for it, I'm not holding out for anything better than what the Duggars have already done.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I sort of almost feel sorry for Jill, because she was the first to get married, and the deepest Kool-Aid drinker, oh and she also remembered the 'lean' years. Her wedding really reflected an upbringing of scrimp and scavenge what you can, and then alter it to be flamboyantly modest. She really did go straight for the clearance rack and then tried to - we threw it on Jana - to chop up something just to say she modified it. I don't think she'd know what to do without modifying every single thing she wears, whether or not she needs to.

Who is the princess between Snow White and Mulan?

Adding that Kendra and Joe are so boring, I find myself talking about every other Duggar more than them, on their board. It's not on purpose.

The princess is Giselle from Enchanted- they didn't want to pay Amy Adams for her likeness. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The princess is Giselle from Enchanted- they didn't want to pay Amy Adams for her likeness

Yep, seconding that it's Giselle.

She's not an official Disney princess, as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why she's been badly Photoshopped into that lineup. There are a couple other princesses I would have picked first: Merida (as mentioned), Elsa and Anna, or Moana all come to mind before Giselle.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa's dress had cap sleeves. In November. 

Ah, but Joy made up for it by dressing everybody in long sleeves and navy blue -- in....May, was it? ... or June. 

Just more examples of Duggars refusing ever to let a little thing like facts get in their way.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Kendra and Joe are so boring, I find myself talking about every other Duggar more than them, on their board. It's not on purpose.

^^^ Like, totally. FFS, they are young. She's what, barely 18? And they've both been reared in a heavily patriarchal separatist type of Christian lifestyle. Well, we know that he has, and since her dad is a Gothardite pastor (correct me if I'm wrong on that but I've read that he's of the same ilk as the Duggars which includes Gothard and Quiverfull), I assume she has been too. They haven't held real jobs, or gone to real school, or done anything except hang around their families being holy 24/7/365. Yawn.

9 hours ago, kalamac said:

9 hours ago, Nysha said:

She's the oldest of a bunch of kids being raised on a preacher's salary. Unless TLC is paying for it, I'm not holding out for anything better than what the Duggars have already done.

I agree, although maybe her mother has some actual, you know, TASTE. And has figured out how to be modest without tacking odd bits of fabric onto clothing items to be sure the outfit screams LOOK AT ME, I AM SO FREAKING MODEST AND SO MUCH HOLIER THAN YOU. 

Although, if TLC is still around for this wedding, it will be SO much more snarkworthy if it turns out to be a Duggar-run (or Duggar-like) event. 

We can dream.

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Google says Merida from Brave.

I think Google fails us. I'm pretty sure Merida is over on the other side, next to Jasmin. Although maybe that's some other redhead I'm not remembering? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, McManda said:

Yep, seconding that it's Giselle.

She's not an official Disney princess, as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why she's been badly Photoshopped into that lineup. There are a couple other princesses I would have picked first: Merida (as mentioned), Elsa and Anna, or Moana all come to mind before Giselle.

All the other princesses have the DVD cover illustration look, but Giselle looks like she's from the Kim Kardashian app and has a broken arm. 

4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think Google fails us. I'm pretty sure Merida is over on the other side, next to Jasmin. Although maybe that's some other redhead I'm not remembering? 

ariel-her-name.jpg

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

That's Ariel (The Little Mermaid). I think Merida is missing altogether, and that red head must be Giselle, though it's weird to include her. I've seen that image before and she wasn't in it.l

1 minute ago, Kokapetl said:

All the other princesses have the DVD cover illustration look, but Giselle looks like she's from the Kim Kardashian app and has a broken arm. 

ariel-her-name.jpg

Oh, of course. Duh. I should have known because I always blot out Ariel from my memory. The Little Mermaid was one of my two favorite stories growing up because of the stark bitter tragedy of it -- and that movie. Arrrgh. Way to destroy not just the essence of that individual story but the whole essence of wonderful ultra-gloomy Hans Christian A. altogether.  .... No offense, Ariel. I'd love you -- and remember your name --if they hadn't destroyed a good book to create you. And no offense, Alyssa Milano, either. I do love AM. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, of course. Duh. I should have known because I always blot out Ariel from my memory. The Little Mermaid was one of my two favorite stories growing up because of the stark bitter tragedy of it -- and that movie. Arrrgh. Way to destroy not just the essence of that individual story but the whole essence of wonderful ultra-gloomy Hans Christian A. altogether.  .... No offense, Ariel. I'd love you -- and remember your name --if they hadn't destroyed a good book to create you. And no offense, Alyssa Milano, either. I do love AM. 

Why have sea foam and lessons about recklessness when you can have this?

Little-Mermaid-Wedding.gif

end.gif

This film deserves the praise for it's music and for revitalising the genre, but I find the animation and background art distractingly inconsistent.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Can't delete the box for some reason. I should read the posts before smacking the quote button. 

Definitely Ariel! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I sort of almost feel sorry for Jill, because she was the first to get married, and the deepest Kool-Aid drinker, oh and she also remembered the 'lean' years. Her wedding really reflected an upbringing of scrimp and scavenge what you can, and then alter it to be flamboyantly modest. She really did go straight for the clearance rack and then tried to - we threw it on Jana - to chop up something just to say she modified it. I don't think she'd know what to do without modifying every single thing she wears, whether or not she needs to.

Who is the princess between Snow White and Mulan?

Adding that Kendra and Joe are so boring, I find myself talking about every other Duggar more than them, on their board. It's not on purpose.

That's from the movie "Enchanted" Giselle! She's not an official Disney Princess.

Be sure to call on me for all your Disney needs lol

8 hours ago, sometimesy said:

OK so here is how the show goes down

First episode is the wedding: A Dugg relays information that Joe was not born an adult. They provide video evidence that he was indeed a child and did stuff. Either JB or Mechelle says they are shocked at how quickly the newborn turned into a man (they haven't seen or interacted with him since 6 months so it's obviously a shock). Hopefully over time they will provide more and more babies  and never let a devil stop them from proving that Joe is straight and fertile. <this is the most important thing. Also, maybe they will be happy cause gawd. Joe is marrying the daughter of a best friend the family has known for years so there, not arranged, except maybe those rumours she  was rejected by some other Dugg boy. 

Other episodes:  Kendra goes to get a dress. Someone is pregnant, someone lures a fiancée but they have to court until the season of counting on, uh life is right. Courting is dating with a purpose and the children are free to set their own rules which will match JB's rules very closely. Kendra goes to the Duggs to learn a recipe for Joe in case they live too far away for Joe to come back and eat every night at the TTH. There will be mentions of sidehugs. Someone will line the Duggs up in random twos and threes and ask them questions such as, if Joe was a tool which tool would he be? Some of the siblings will not understand the question, some will try to bluff their way through, and some will actually think Joe has the possibility of becoming a tool and give thoughtful answers. The Duggs have a party where someone or something is late, or too early and the drama will increase until nothing really happens. Duggs will pretend they don't know which sibling is next in line and act really coy when asked. The Dullards will be either leaving or arriving back from DA for the wedding. Children grow and it never ends......

Hilarious and apropos!

However, I would like to point to the thread title, which since we already have verbal evidence that Kendra has already had her hands inside Joe's pockets (ooo-er) for the oft-discussed mint, indicates that she may possess an actual sense of humor and/or irony on the topic, which gives me a scrap of hope.

Agree with all that Joken are boring. But how boring? If you had to have dinner with one of the couples: Derjil, Benessa, Jinjer, or Joken (cause no one can eat around Smuggar) which would it be?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, nightmeri said:

Agree with all that Joken are boring. But how boring? If you had to have dinner with one of the couples: Derjil, Benessa, Jinjer, or Joken (cause no one can eat around Smuggar) which would it be?

I like this question! I would choose Benessa because I believe Jessa to be capable of something resembling wit and I think she could keep the conversation going. I picture Bin sitting in obedient silence. My second choice would be JinJer for similar reasons. I might enjoy chatting with Jinger but I fear I would have to give her headship a few swift kicks if he started to preach. I would have to drown the Dillards in the soup tureen if forced to dine with them. The other two couples are blanks to me, just part of the amorphous blob of random Duggars.

• Love 10

I'd choose to have dinner with Jingle and the Italian Stallion.

I would want to see what Jinger eats and HOW MUCH; I'd like to see if Jeremy orders a beer and what their table manners are like. I would also begin my meal with the Sign of the Cross and the "Prayer Before Meals"...and look for Jeremy's reaction. What did I do wrong there, Jer?

• Love 14
(edited)

Hands down I'd eat with JinJer. I'd have to be handcuffed to not want to strangle both Jill and Derrick. She's a DumbAss who won't shut up about ridiculous faux medical gar-bage, and he's just weird. Really, really, weird, plus I'd be afraid he'd break out into interpretive dance with the bread basket. Then I'd want to run away with Israel.

I don't think Jessa is capable of having a conversation with anyone outside her circle. She can dictate a little while on stage, but shrinks with fear, as most bullies do, when actually asked to engage one on one with anyone who isn't afraid of her. She doesn't scare me. Ben isn't capable of having normal conversations, either, because he has the mentality of an 18 year old frat boy, sans the booze and actual college classes.

Joy is a barely sentient robot, and Austin is JimBob Jr. It would like eating with a toddler who ask somebody to read the menu, cut her meat, tell her to sit still in her chair, use her napkin, etc. Not fun with 2 year olds, definitely not fun with 20 year olds.

Jinger still acts like she's scared of her own shadow, too, but she at least attempts to have her own style and carry on some conversation. Jer is a blowhard, but he does seem like he would have enough manners/exposure to the real world to not sneer at menu items, have polite conversation, and encourage his wife to actually speak.

Josh and Anna, couldn't handle them. Him for being him, her for staying with him.

ETA: I FORGOT about Joe and Whatsherface. See how boring they are? He might be able to have a conversation, and yeah, I'm judging, but she looks like she'd be dead boring and dumber than a brick. Zero personality. Lots of 'blessing' and 'countenance' and 'this season of life' drivel, but boring as vanilla pudding.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
ETA I FORGOT the main couple.
  • Love 8

I am known, in my circles, for being 'good' with adolescents, so I think I could sustain at least one conversation with Kendra. I doubt anybody could hold a conversation with Joy Anna. Like, yeah. 

• Love 3

I agree with @RazzleberryPie & @floridamom. I like my conversations two-sided and Jin & Jer seem to be the only ones that could keep it going more than a minute without totallys, likes and nervous laughs.

I'm wondering if any of the couples would see me as an easy convert seeing as I claim no organized religion.

• Love 1

Jinger will be saying "Babeeee" over and over again, and Jeremy would say "my love" over and over again which would make me reach for the barf bag. In my opinion, none of the couples would be interesting enough to talk with.

I am wondering if Jeremy could at least talk soccer/sports. That might make him tolerable. And food-I come from a Sicilian family so he and I could reminisce about favorite dishes. 

I could also handle Bin and Jessa. Bin seems ever so slightly open to new people (by fundy standards).

I would stab jill and Derelict before the salad was served. Yes, stabbed with plastic utensils but stabbed just the same 

the other two couples would never be able to find my house or the restaurant (even if they picked it)

• Love 4
(edited)

I wouldn't want to have any meal with Jessa, she's way to smug and know it all for me 

I'd mix and match and I'd choose Joe because I know nothing about him and ... Maybe Derick to see if I can uncover how/why he posts the things he does... And is he the same in real life. He truly baffles me

Edited by Totally
Spelling
  • Love 5

Instead of a drinking game, one could do some operant conditioning, and offer them a lemon wedge each time they used fundy speak or each time they offered a clueless stare. Who would be sucking the most lemon?

I think Ben would win on both.

• Love 3

Does anyone know if Jeremy's background is Sicilian or where in Italy his ancestors come from? My family is from Luca, Tuscany; Abruzzi and Apulia. Not many of us in the USA, really, most are Sicilian that I'm aware of.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Instead of a drinking game, one could do some operant conditioning, and offer them a lemon wedge each time they used fundy speak or each time they offered a clueless stare. Who would be sucking the most lemon?

I think Ben would win on both.

We haven't seen much of Austin, but just about everything that comes out if his mouth or social media posts is Godbobbing. #puke

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I could break Jess with 15 minutes of conversation. She's a hothouse flower, a 5 among 3s, and a mean girl who's never faced a mean girl. She'd fold like a lawnchair if she was 'trapped' with me over dinner.

I'd pay to see that!

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I could break Jess with 15 minutes of conversation. She's a hothouse flower, a 5 among 3s, and a mean girl who's never faced a mean girl. She'd fold like a lawnchair if she was 'trapped' with me over dinner.

She surely would. It'd be a very boring fold, though. Ignorant idiots aren't even interesting at their moments of highest drama, really. She, like the rest of them, has no substance whatsoever. There's pretty literally nothing in any of their brains. And they continue to do their utmost to keep their minds substance free.

Even though I think many of us itch to tell one of them a thing or two, in the hope that they'll just see something, realize something... in real life, I don't think they'd be worth confronting under any circumstances. Neither party would learn or gain anything from it. They'd just close down and shut it all out, and it would make no actual impression.

I don't completely despair of Duggarlings ever learning anything or changing at all. Maybe some day just by tiny increments somebody's mind will have opened a bit and will let something in and some growth can begin. But I can't imagine debate or challenge or confrontation of any kind accomplishing change of any kind in any of them, more's the pity, Only decades of slow erosion of their defenses will ever open anybody's mind, I think. But, hey, it created the Grand Canyon.

Since being bored to death isn't a favorite activity of mine, I wouldn't have dinner with any of them.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Yes, we've seen on the show how uncomfortable Jessa is around strangers, much more so than Ben, and more than even some of her sibs. 

Since this is spozed to be their topic: I can't imagine having dinner with JoKen. I'd feel like I was babysitting. I mean, I'm sure they're very nice kids and all. But still. I can't imagine what we could talk about except their purity and Jesus, and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, thank you very much.

• Love 11
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yes, we've seen on the show how uncomfortable Jessa is around strangers, much more so than Ben, and more than even some of her sibs. 

Since this is spozed to be their topic: I can't imagine having dinner with JoKen. I'd feel like I was babysitting. I mean, I'm sure they're very nice kids and all. But still. I can't imagine what we could talk about except their purity and Jesus, and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, thank you very much.

I suppose there's always the option of just telling Joe you'd love to hear his recitation of the complete Book of Proverbs.

Then at least there'd be classic spiritual literature to focus on.

Or a story to tell if he couldn't manage it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

My theory on the Jed-Kendra-Joe triangle: Jed did have eyes for Kendra. Boob wanted Joken for his own reasons, perhaps simply to remind the Dugg males that he is still all powerful and in charge.  Jed pouted-a criminal offense in Dugg world and was issued a stay at Alert. Jer, in a hunger games type move, volunteered to take his brother's place. Boob and Mechelle forgot which son they were sending or fogot there was a Jed and happily sent sinner twin. Does the Alert timeline match?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I feel like I could mentor them into actual adulthood. Give Joe an actual job in a different state, encourage Kendra to take classes at a community college, get them involved in a liberal Christian church, and surround them with young adults who have a real life instead of fake ministries and endless babies.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, nightmeri said:

My theory on the Jed-Kendra-Joe triangle: Jed did have eyes for Kendra. Boob wanted Joken for his own reasons, perhaps simply to remind the Dugg males that he is still all powerful and in charge.  Jed pouted-a criminal offense in Dugg world and was issued a stay at Alert. Jer, in a hunger games type move, volunteered to take his brother's place. Boob and Mechelle forgot which son they were sending or fogot there was a Jed and happily sent sinner twin. Does the Alert timeline match?

My theory is Kendra was going to be sold to a Duggar as soon as she was of legal age, and Joe was being 'rewarded' for coming off as so reasonable and sympathetic during the molestation interviews on Fox. She and Jed are closer in age, and probably maturity, but I doubt if she put up any resistance to the Joe courtship. I completely agree that Jed's worst offense was probably pouting for a minute, and the Dads are pulling all the strings.

Kendra was sold off just like Joy, but both could do far worse, considering how they have zero life skills, zero education, zero ability to make their own decisions without deferring to whatever male is in charge.

• Love 11

All these fundies seem to pool their kids around the Duggar's once they are of age (Austin, Marjorie, Kendra).  I can see a situation where Jed wanted to get to know Kendra but Kendra wanted to get to know Joe.  Pastor Caldwell wouldn't necessarily care which son Kendra married since it would still be a Duggar.

I could see Jed being pouty if he assumed his interest in Kendra would trump any feelings she had in the matter.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, saylubee said:

All these fundies seem to pool their kids around the Duggar's once they are of age (Austin, Marjorie, Kendra).  I can see a situation where Jed wanted to get to know Kendra but Kendra wanted to get to know Joe.  Pastor Caldwell wouldn't necessarily care which son Kendra married since it would still be a Duggar.

I could see Jed being pouty if he assumed his interest in Kendra would trump any feelings she had in the matter.

All this, and the 'advantage' Joe had over Jed, is that Joe is actually an adult. Kendra was going to be auctioned off the second she turned 18, and Joe just so happened to be the one willing to take her.

• Love 9

I find it so horrible that these fundy women (girls, really) seem to be of the opinion that one penis is as good as another, just as long as our daddies approve of whomever they deem is a suitable partner for us.  The females truly must have never thought for themselves, and have broken spirits, to just accept what dear dad dictates.

Punching out souls for fundyism, is all that seems to matter.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I'd probably choose Joe over Jed as well. Jed's the better looking of the two, but something about his personality is off-putting. For a shy, sheltered girl like Kendra, she might've found Joe more approachable and friendly. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

This whole Jed-Joe thing is all due to one online tabloid article, right?  Does it have any more credibility than Jana and whoever that the tabloids have put online?

Maybe not but I think everyone has been conditioned to think it could be true, because that's the way it went for centuries in areas with insular cultures (including deeply steeped religious ones), before the Industrial Revolution when mate pickings were slim and you dealt with what walked or horse-and-buggied into the area.  Hell, we know it from Leah and Rachel in the Old Testament.  "One sibling's just as good as another, and we need to start pitchforking these mouths-to-feed out the front door."

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Maybe not but I think everyone has been conditioned to think it could be true, because that's the way it went for centuries in areas with insular cultures (including deeply steeped religious ones), before the Industrial Revolution when mate pickings were slim and you dealt with what walked or horse-and-buggied into the area.  Hell, we know it from Leah and Rachel in the Old Testament.  "One sibling's just as good as another, and we need to start pitchforking these mouths-to-feed out the front door."

You're right- Double cousins (due to a sibling set marrying another sibling set) wasn't that rare even 100years ago for the reasons you mentioned. People had bigger families and ran in similar social circles, the only non relative available man in your town/county/farm area (or even city) may have had an available brother for your sister. 

I think there may be a GRAIN of truth to it, maybe Jed and Kendra were flirty aka "having a conversation" and Joe realized he liked her and Jed never made a move....

• Love 5