Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I find that clip stranger and stranger every time I see it. I never would have dared touch my FIL like that. But yeah that brush at the end reads as "Get out of my way."

It is really odd, she seems to be smiling when she's poking? him, then I couldn't tell if she was brushing him away or maybe taking a pen from his pocket but it all comes across as really strange considering the way she was raised. IDK maybe Austin's family is just more physically affectionate and as she was never shown that she doesn't know the best way to do it but she craves the connection and casual loving touch so she's trying to do it without really knowing how,

• Love 3

The video creeps me out too. I'm finding it weird that I really can't pin point why. Not a normal Duggar thing? Not a typical FIL & DIL thing? Or the fact it looks kind of natural and spontaneous? But then part of me thinks he was going to hug her and she stopped him by poking his belly.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Kurt is a fictional character. The movie children oldest to youngest were Liesl, Friedrich, Louisa, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretl.  The real life Von Trapp children oldest to youngest were Rupert, Agatha, Werner, Maria, Hedwig, Johanna, Martina. Then Maria and the captain had three kids of their own Rosemary, Lorelei, and Johannes.

I read at least two of Maria's books she wrote with another writer and they were sort of fundy Catholic. That some of the huge family became even more fundamentalist non Catholic is not surprising. 

Right. I just used Kurt because it was a recognizable character. The singing group consists of the counterpart of "Kurt's" grandchildren. Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I went for expediency. :)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Von Trapp grandchildren (I think Kurt's) have been making the fundie singing circuit over the past few years. It sounds like while the original Von Trapps were Catholic, once they immigrated, some of them left the Church along the way. 

I do wonder if The Sound of Music is permitted fundie viewing, because YAY! wholesome singing families, but BOO! ebil Maria the former nun. 

I saw them in my town of Kent, Washington about 12 years ago!  They were very good singers and my 6 yr old neice loved the show!

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The video creeps me out too. I'm finding it weird that I really can't pin point why. Not a normal Duggar thing? Not a typical FIL & DIL thing? Or the fact it looks kind of natural and spontaneous? But then part of me thinks he was going to hug her and she stopped him by poking his belly.

Ew. Any of those options creep me out. I cannot imagine tickling my FIL's beer belly playfully, and I'm accustomed to a normal level of touching and affection. 

• Love 4

To me it looked like Mr. Forsyth was uncomfortable with the contact and brushed her off. Maybe since Joy was the tomboy of the group she doesn't look at male/female affection the same way the J'Slaves would. She may be naturally more comfortable with guys because that's all she was surrounded by before the Duggars turned her into a Stepford bride.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I also noticed he sold his house FSBO. I didn't know you could still do that after the housing crash. I never see it around here, but this ain't backwater AR. You can't buy a closet for $69k here. 

Sew, San Jose/San Fran? I have clients there and just hotels are mind boggling for cost.

2 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Sew, San Jose/San Fran? I have clients there and just hotels are mind boggling for cost.

Yes, and yes. Thank goodness my city has rent control! What we pay for a 2 bedroom would still boggle the minds of many. We sure as hell can't afford to buy. 

• Love 3

In that scene with Joy and Mr. Forsyth, she was commenting on how uneven/crooked the countertop was and you can hear him shushing her. Then she tickled his belly and it looks like she was reaching for something in his pocket because he then reaches for it as well. Maybe safety glasses or something? It made me feel weird and uncomfortable and weird.  Maybe since she's known the guy 15+ years she is really comfortable with him and they have a playful touchy/feely relationship, but it still didn't sit right with me. I'm the least prudish person on the planet and I've given my father in law many hugs. I've known him almost 25 years, but I still wouldn't poke him in the belly. That's just me.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

To me it looked like Mr. Forsyth was uncomfortable with the contact and brushed her off. Maybe since Joy was the tomboy of the group she doesn't look at male/female affection the same way the J'Slaves would. She may be naturally more comfortable with guys because that's all she was surrounded by before the Duggars turned her into a Stepford bride.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with the belly poke, (so long as Mr F was okay with it )but these are the Duggars. I could see Joy poking her own father that way before her soon to be father in law when she isn't even allowed to show affection to her courting partner. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, on the Andy Griffith Show, Andy dated a woman without asking her father to court first. Then there was the town drunk...

They have said, though, haven't they, that they don't watch all the episodes of Andy Griffith? lol .... And I'm also pretty sure I've heard of Jim Bob saying that he actually has serious reservations about Sheriff Andy because he doesn't turn immediately and solely to prayer whenever there's a problem but keeps on insisting that they should do something about the problems themselves. ....Which explains a lot about the Duggars, come to think of it. 

• Love 10

That scene with Joy and Mr. Forsyth was an awkward one. Why was Mr. Forsyth approaching Joy in the first place? She did 'brush him off'.  I cringe at the society the Duggars live in and their moral practices. So much going on under the table there, as Jim Bob admitted, sexual-wise in that interview with Kelly. I would think in their belief system, that physical poking-contact, however minimal would not be permitted. Yes, after all, she's not allowed to even have held Austin's hand during their courthship, only after engagement. They never really make any sense to me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

They have said, though, haven't they, that they don't watch all the episodes of Andy Griffith? lol .... And I'm also pretty sure I've heard of Jim Bob saying that he actually has serious reservations about Sheriff Andy because he doesn't turn immediately and solely to prayer whenever there's a problem but keeps on insisting that they should do something about the problems themselves. ....Which explains a lot about the Duggars, come to think of it. 

Jeez, that's such an X-ray if Jim Bob's soul. HTH does a police officer turn to prayer when stopping crime? "Hey, just keep getting raped a few minutes, I gotta ask JC how to fix this one!" Does JD turn immediately and solely to prayer when the plane's error lights come on? Did prayer alone fix Josh's situation? What if God's answer is to fix it yourself?

There's a good Andy Griffith movie about reality TV made in the 50's JB needs to see - A Face In The Crowd. It's basically the story of what happens when a low life gets famous, and builds a career on a fake, countrified persona. Jim Bob is Lonesome Rhodes!

Let us Pray

• Love 11

Looks like she suddenly turned around and to avoid her breasts brushing him she poked him in the belly and tries to get away from him but then tried to grab something from his pocket. Very weird.

• Love 1

Here's a picture of Joy and Austin on their honeymoon.  They posted this on Instagram, stating that it was their one-month wedding anniversary.  That's a long honeymoon for a Duggar!  In the picture, they are at Lake Kinneret in the HaGalil region of Israel. This is the lowest fresh-water lake in the world, and the second lowest lake in the world (second only to the Dead Sea).  The lake is fed by underground springs and by the Jordan River which runs through the lake from north to south.

0 00 1 Joy.jpg

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Maybe since she's known the guy 15+ years she is really comfortable with him and they have a playful touchy/feely relationship, but it still didn't sit right with me. I'm the least prudish person on the planet and I've given my father in law many hugs. I've known him almost 25 years, but I still wouldn't poke him in the belly. That's just me.

Husband and I just celebrated 30 years of marriage. We dated for 3 years before that. I would never ever do that to FIL. Hell, I don't even call him "dad." I don't call him anything!

Just to add ... when my mother died 5 years into our marriage ... MIL came up to me at my mother's wake, stuck her hand out, and said she was sorry for my loss. I was talking to a friend at the time, and if you could have seen the "WTF" look she gave me ...

Edited by Westiepeach
In-laws have ice water in their veins, apparently.
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Here's a picture of Joy and Austin on their honeymoon.  They posted this on Instagram, stating that it was their one-month wedding anniversary.  That's a long honeymoon for a Duggar!  In the picture, they are at Lake Kinneret in the HaGalil region of Israel. This is the lowest fresh-water lake in the world, and the second lowest lake in the world (second only to the Dead Sea).  The lake is fed by underground springs and by the Jordan River which runs through the lake from north to south.

0 00 1 Joy.jpg

I wonder what the locals think of Austin's shirt?  It must be really nice to done basically nothing in your life & be given a free lavish honeymoon. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ariel said:

I wonder what the locals think of Austin's shirt?  It must be really nice to done basically nothing in your life & be given a free lavish honeymoon. 

In that part of the world, 'football' means 'soccer.'   There are no fans of American football in Israel except for Americans who immigrated to Israel.  Texas means J. R. Ewing from the old Dallas TV show, because for many years Israel only had one television channel and everyone watched Dallas, which was syndicated in Israel.  Younger people associate Texas with President George W. Bush.

Please keep the conversation on Joy and Austin and not Israel the country or the country's politics. Also do not tell others what to or not what to post on here since it is breaking the be civil rule. If someone posts something you do not care for, the mods highly suggest using the Ignore Feature. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Mollie said:

0 00 1 Joy.jpg

They look 12. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looks like they are on their way back to NWA.

How does Joy simultaniously look like she's a high school kid and also have the crow's feet and sunken under eye hollows of a tired 40 year old?

• Love 6

In that group photo Joy is wearing the same shoes she wore to her wedding.  I could hardly believe when I saw those brown sandals (?) under her lovely wedding dress.  I guess she takes her cues from Jessa and her fugly sandals.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy's gone to the Jill Dullard school of eyeliner application. 

I'm sure if we look close enough, we can see the little paint by numbers. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

https://www.oneforisrael.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/OFI-ministry-trip-june-22-july-3-with-early-transfer.pdf

It appears to be the typical missioncation - with way more 'cation' and not much mission.

Except they see it the other way around.

(Of course, I guess in this case that's okay with me, since in this case there'd be no pretext that this is anything but a conversion mission, I'd guess.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I will say, Joy looks pretty happy and healthy.   And it looks like she's wearing a sleeveless athletic type shirt, or tank top. 

Baby steps. 

Is that beachwear/swimwear? I agree. Baby steps.

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

How does Joy simultaniously look like she's a high school kid and also have the crow's feet and sunken under eye hollows of a tired 40 year old?

Vitamin deficiency. A diet of processed crap and never any fresh fruits or vegetables can make your skin old before its time.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Crow's feet from spending too much time in the sun without sunglasses or SPF, and sunken under eyes due to allergies, would be my guess. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, leighdear said:

I will say, Joy looks pretty happy and healthy.   And it looks like she's wearing a sleeveless athletic type shirt, or tank top. 

Baby steps. 

Her wedding band is missing. First thing I noticed.

I just gave a quick glance at that One for Israel ministry website, but am I understanding correctly that they are trying to convert Jews to Christianity????  I really don't understand the relationship of these Christians with Judaism (Jills kid is named Israel which would arguably be a heathen country if they are trying to convert the citizens). 

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

I just gave a quick glance at that One for Israel ministry website, but am I understanding correctly that they are trying to convert Jews to Christianity????  I really don't understand the relationship of these Christians with Judaism (Jills kid is named Israel which would arguably be a heathen country if they are trying to convert the citizens). 

Yes, you're correct. And their main concentration is HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS. I can't even...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, you're correct. And their main concentration is HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS. I can't even...

There are too many 'why's' in the universe for that statement...

Joy looks happy, which is more than I can say for some of the other Duggars, so that is good. They're young and stupid, but at least they're young and stupid together I suppose. 

• Love 10

Dear LORD.  There is so much wrong with this.

1. The Jewish people are NOT going to give up a thousands-year-old religion just because some crazy Americans threw a couple of tracts at them while on vacation.

2. God is God.  The top dog.  The head cheese.  Says so as numero uno in "the Big 10" that they supposedly follow.  They seemed to have forgotten that little fact along the way.  Jesus may have come along and changed the rules a bit but his father is still the reigning head.  It seems to me that the Duggars and their ilk put the son ahead of the father.  Rarely a mention of God, but everything for Jesus.  And the Jews (who worship the same God as Christians do) I'm sure do not take lightly to that.  

@Mojitogirl their relationship with Israel is simple...that's where Jesus was born.  And that's where it ends.  Because anyone who does not worship Jesus as the head honcho is bad in their book and needs to be converted. 

• Love 12